Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Golf Courses in NE Florida

(03-22-2018, 07:45 PM)PF* Wrote:
(03-22-2018, 12:07 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I think there's a tree in the fairway at Windsor Park on the back nine somewhere that will ruin your approach if you don't get right of it with your tee shot.

Is Windsor Parke a nice course?
Has anybody played Blue Sky over on Monument? I get 4 emails a week from them.

Windsor Parke is OK.  Just depends, I've seen wildly varied conditions over there.  Plus there are a couple of house-lined tight fairways that give me the willies.

I hear that Blue Sky has improved.  It had gone to [BLEEP] when it was still Mill Cove.  I haven't played there in years, but I did/do like the layout.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-23-2018, 09:03 AM by The Real Marty.)

(03-22-2018, 12:07 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I think there's a tree in the fairway at Windsor Park on the back nine somewhere that will ruin your approach if you don't get right of it with your tee shot.

I've played Blue Sky a few times recently.   It's kind of a treeless tract where it seems like the sun is always in your eyes.   Not a good driving range.  You have to hit off mats and there's no practice putting green, although someone told me they were putting in a synthetic turf putting green.  

It's the easiest course I've played recently.  

There are a couple of holes where the fairway rises up and if your tee shot clears it, you can get a very long roll down towards the green. 

They do serve a very good mushroom swiss burger.   Medium rare, so it drips onto the plate.   Mmmmm....

(03-23-2018, 07:29 AM)Rico Wrote:
(03-22-2018, 07:45 PM)PF* Wrote: Is Windsor Parke a nice course?

Windsor Parke is OK.  Just depends, I've seen wildly varied conditions over there.  Plus there are a couple of house-lined tight fairways that give me the willies.

I hear that Blue Sky has improved.  It had gone to [BLEEP] when it was still Mill Cove.  I haven't played there in years, but I did/do like the layout.

Haha, houses. I hit one on #3 (the dogleg right) at Royal SA pretty hard once and the guy came out yelling at me. My ball was right by his feet so when he was done yelling, I asked for the ball. He picked it up, threw it down the fairway and stormed off while I stifled a good laugh. Same day, on 17, I hit another house and that guy came out yelling too. Looked a little like the first guy and I was tempted to ask if he saw my ball but I didn't.

(03-23-2018, 07:34 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

I've played Blue Sky a few times recently.   It's kind of a treeless tract where it seems like the sun is always in your eyes.   Not a good driving range.  You have to hit off mats and there's no practice putting green, although someone told me they were putting in a synthetic turf putting green.  

It's the easiest course I've played recently.  

There are a couple of holes where the fairway rises up and if your tee shot clears it, you can get a very long roll down towards the green. 

They do serve a very good mushroom swiss burger.   Medium rare, so it drips onto the plate.   Mmmmm....

I really want to get to Blue Sky this summer (I am in StAug June, July, Aug and most of the fall), especially where you say it's fairly easy. I am also retired and play in the low nineties so this sounds good.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

I enjoy Windsor Parke, but it's got a few frustrating holes for me and I played it somewhat frequently back around 08-'09 so I don't play there much anymore as it's still basically the same.

Haven't played Blue Sky yet, but hear it's OK for the cheap rate. It's now managed by the company that does South/North Hampton. I'd meet you there when you're in town. It's less than 15 min from me. 
They did put in a nice little bar and grill.  Went there to hit a bucket and have a beer once. The range is pretty bad as TRM mentioned, but the little (and I mean Little)  chipping area was in good shape while I was there.  Did a little greenside work that was somwhat useful.

(03-23-2018, 07:29 AM)Rico Wrote:

(03-23-2018, 11:58 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

I enjoy Windsor Parke, but it's got a few frustrating holes for me and I played it somewhat frequently back around 08-'09 so I don't play there much anymore as it's still basically the same.

Haven't played Blue Sky yet, but hear it's OK for the cheap rate. It's now managed by the company that does South/North Hampton. I'd meet you there when you're in town. It's less than 15 min from me. 
They did put in a nice little bar and grill.  Went there to hit a bucket and have a beer once. The range is pretty bad as TRM mentioned, but the little (and I mean Little)  chipping area was in good shape while I was there.  Did a little greenside work that was somwhat useful.

Yes, that would work, maybe Rico and TRM will join us. I'm in SA May 1-10, then June 5 to probably mid-Sept depending on Jaguars schedule.

Blue sky is a huge waste. Play hidden hills if you want to go to that area.

Blue sky is old mill cove and they put a whole bunch of money onto redoing the club house and not much to the corse.

Windsor is very nice but inconsistent as far as firmness of fairways. Some holes will have very soft fairways with almost muddy areas while some will be very firm.

Best bang for your buck that I have found is bent creek. Exetremely well maintained corse for relatively cheap.

Also Hyde park off lane ave is worth mentioning. Very cheap but you get a decent corse for pretty cheap.

Also should mention oak bridge in sawgrass... worst corse I've ever played for 35$ lol... terrible condition. I got off st Augustine grass three feet off the green. There corse is mainly st Augustine grass and crab grass lol
Can't wait for the new jax beach to open.

(This post was last modified: 03-24-2018, 06:05 AM by The Real Marty.)

(03-23-2018, 11:09 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: Blue sky is a huge waste. Play hidden hills if you want to go to that area.

Blue sky is old mill cove and they put a whole bunch of money onto redoing the club house and not much to the corse.

Windsor is very nice but inconsistent as far as firmness of fairways. Some holes will have very soft fairways with almost muddy areas while some will be very firm.

Best bang for your buck that I have found is bent creek. Exetremely well maintained corse for relatively cheap.

Also Hyde park off lane ave is worth mentioning.  Very cheap but you get a decent corse for pretty cheap.

Also should mention oak bridge in sawgrass... worst corse I've ever played for 35$ lol... terrible condition. I got off st Augustine grass three feet off the green. There corse is mainly st Augustine grass and crab grass lol

Bent Creek and Hyde Park are good cheap courses.   Those are the ones I play the most often, mainly because they're both near my house.  

Hyde Park is an old course, designed by the famed Donald Ross back in the 30s.   I think it has a lot of character.   It used to host professional tournaments back in the 40s and 50s.   Hole #6, a shortish par 3, is where Ben Hogan made an 11 in a professional tournament.   They have a little sign on the tee pointing that out.   If you play from the member tees, which in this case are the white tees, it's about 6,100 yards.   It's closed on Thursdays.   I think I've played Hyde Park hundreds of times, dating back to when I was a teenager.   It's the course I grew up on.  

https://www.hydepark.golf/

Bent Creek is one I also play a lot.  They have the best practice facility I've seen anywhere.  Driving range, putting green, chipping green, practice bunker.  And it's cheap.   If you play Bent Creek at 5,400 yards, in my opinion that would be about equal in difficulty to Hyde Park at 6,100 yards.   Bent Creek has a lot more hazards than Hyde Park.   I've seen some real good golfers on the range at Bent Creek.   I think it's because of the cheap monthly rate on range balls, and the great practice facilities.   If my back would hold up, I could spend hours out there, just hitting balls, chipping around, putting around...   Unfortunately, you get to a certain age when you have to slack off or else you could get some kind of chronic injury. 

Last time I played Jax Beach it was absolute garbage.   The fairways were full of dollarweeds and some of the greens didn't have any grass at all, just dirt.   But that was a couple of years ago.

When I was younger there was a Fort George golf course.   It's gone now, but I remember it as very scenic, lots of old oak trees lining the fairways.   It used to frustrate us, because those old oak tree branches had grown to the point where the fairways were very tight.  But I did love that course.  

Decades ago we also used to play Fernandina.  That was always a fun little expedition.   They had 27 holes, and each 9 holes was different.

(03-23-2018, 06:15 PM)PF* Wrote:
(03-23-2018, 07:29 AM)Rico Wrote: Windsor Parke is OK.  Just depends, I've seen wildly varied conditions over there.  Plus there are a couple of house-lined tight fairways that give me the willies.

(03-23-2018, 11:58 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I enjoy Windsor Parke, but it's got a few frustrating holes for me and I played it somewhat frequently back around 08-'09 so I don't play there much anymore as it's still basically the same.

Yes, that would work, maybe Rico and TRM will join us. I'm in SA May 1-10, then June 5 to probably mid-Sept depending on Jaguars schedule.

I'd play even if I had to play with NYC again.   Laughing

(03-24-2018, 06:23 AM)Rico Wrote:
(03-23-2018, 06:15 PM)PF* Wrote: Yes, that would work, maybe Rico and TRM will join us. I'm in SA May 1-10, then June 5 to probably mid-Sept depending on Jaguars schedule.

I'd play even if I had to play with NYC again.   Laughing

I'm happy to play.   Arrangements should be made not on this message board, though.  Maybe some sort of PM.   I don't like telling the world where I'm going to be.

(03-24-2018, 06:52 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-24-2018, 06:23 AM)Rico Wrote: I'd play even if I had to play with NYC again.   Laughing

I'm happy to play.   Arrangements should be made not on this message board, though.  Maybe some sort of PM.   I don't like telling the world where I'm going to be.

I understand about NYC. I met him a couple of times, the 2nd time was at Tailgaters before a game and he had tomato juice all over him. My friends just kind of backed away.

Want to get together in that May window for me (actually May 1-9 as I fly on the 10th)? The course doesn't matter to me as I haven't played any of the ones mentioned and the only day I can't play is Wednesdays- May 2 and 9.

I will PM you with my Email address.

(03-24-2018, 05:57 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Bent Creek and Hyde Park are good cheap courses.   Those are the ones I play the most often, mainly because they're both near my house.  

Hyde Park is an old course, designed by the famed Donald Ross back in the 30s.   I think it has a lot of character.   It used to host professional tournaments back in the 40s and 50s.   Hole #6, a shortish par 3, is where Ben Hogan made an 11 in a professional tournament.   They have a little sign on the tee pointing that out.   If you play from the member tees, which in this case are the white tees, it's about 6,100 yards.   It's closed on Thursdays.   I think I've played Hyde Park hundreds of times, dating back to when I was a teenager.   It's the course I grew up on.  

https://www.hydepark.golf/

Bent Creek is one I also play a lot.  They have the best practice facility I've seen anywhere.  Driving range, putting green, chipping green, practice bunker.  And it's cheap.   If you play Bent Creek at 5,400 yards, in my opinion that would be about equal in difficulty to Hyde Park at 6,100 yards.   Bent Creek has a lot more hazards than Hyde Park.   I've seen some real good golfers on the range at Bent Creek.   I think it's because of the cheap monthly rate on range balls, and the great practice facilities.   If my back would hold up, I could spend hours out there, just hitting balls, chipping around, putting around...   Unfortunately, you get to a certain age when you have to slack off or else you could get some kind of chronic injury. 

Last time I played Jax Beach it was absolute garbage.   The fairways were full of dollarweeds and some of the greens didn't have any grass at all, just dirt.   But that was a couple of years ago.

When I was younger there was a Fort George golf course.   It's gone now, but I remember it as very scenic, lots of old oak trees lining the fairways.   It used to frustrate us, because those old oak tree branches had grown to the point where the fairways were very tight.  But I did love that course.  

Decades ago we also used to play Fernandina.  That was always a fun little expedition.   They had 27 holes, and each 9 holes was different.

That's good info. I like Donald Ross courses and look forward to seeing HP. The course in Palatka is a Ross, designed in 1925 and played by such luminaries as Babe Ruth, Walter Hagen and John Daly amongst others. I would look forward to HP's #6 and seeing if I can beat Hogan's 11.

Your story of Fort George saddens me as do all stories of courses closing. We have one nearby in Lynnfield, MA- I played it several times when I was young and it closed about 25 years ago so they could build...a mall. Turns out they ruined only the front 9 and then re-opened the back 9 with a couple of modifications about a year ago.

I've gotten over there 3 times now, absolutely love it and wish I had appreciated all 18 holes back in the day. The 7  untouched original holes are each unique and have "a feature" to deal with. All have the Nicklaus (and original Augusta National) design of an open fairway for a tee shot and then a choice of second shots.

(03-23-2018, 11:09 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: Blue sky is a huge waste. Play hidden hills if you want to go to that area.

Also Hyde park off lane ave is worth mentioning. Very cheap but you get a decent corse for pretty cheap.

I had higher hopes for Blue Sky, considering that they were taken over by the Hampton group. Maybe they need another year, their other courses that I've played are quite nice.

St. John's Golf and CC is the best public course around town for the price, IMO. You can get reasonably priced tee times on golf now and the course is always in pretty good shape, especially the greens.

(03-24-2018, 11:32 AM)KingIngram052787 Wrote: St. John's Golf and CC is the best public course around town for the price, IMO.  You can get reasonably priced tee times on golf now and the course is always in pretty good shape, especially the greens.

St. John's Golf  is a Very good course for the price. you can ussually find good deals online for them too.

Jax beach was garbage but i played it often since it was near my house. They have recently closed it down and are completely redoing the entire course. Not sure when it will be open to play but i am anxious to see what they do with it.

I played Deerfield today and it really isn't bad for the price. I shot an 83 but i got lucky on a few holes.

Hyde Park is awesome, I love that they dont have too many water hazards. I'll never forget i hit my first birdie on the par 5 9th hole there when i was younger and then my first eagle on the same hole 2 years later. Gotta love that place, always a cool vibe in the club house bar too.

(03-24-2018, 11:32 AM)KingIngram052787 Wrote: St. John's Golf and CC is the best public course around town for the price, IMO. You can get reasonably priced tee times on golf now and the course is always in pretty good shape, especially the greens.

That's the one down on 210?

(03-25-2018, 07:46 PM)PF* Wrote:
(03-24-2018, 11:32 AM)KingIngram052787 Wrote: St. John's Golf and CC is the best public course around town for the price, IMO.  You can get reasonably priced tee times on golf now and the course is always in pretty good shape, especially the greens.

Yes.

I'm actually playing there tomorrow with my cousin.

(03-25-2018, 07:46 PM)PF* Wrote:

Yes. book your tee time on Golf Now... get it cheaper than usual

(This post was last modified: 03-26-2018, 06:54 AM by The Real Marty.)

(03-25-2018, 03:46 PM)JagsorDie Wrote:

St. John's Golf  is a Very good course for the price. you can ussually find good deals online for them too.

Jax beach was garbage but i played it often since it was near my house. They have recently closed it down and are completely redoing the entire course. Not sure when it will be open to play but i am anxious to see what they do with it.

I played Deerfield today and it really isn't bad for the price. I shot an 83 but i got lucky on a few holes.

Hyde Park is awesome, I love that they dont have too many water hazards. I'll never forget i hit my first birdie on the par 5 9th hole there when i was younger and then my first eagle on the same hole 2 years later. Gotta love that place, always a cool vibe in the club house bar too.

You're right about Hyde Park.   I don't lose as many balls there as I do at other courses, mainly because of a lack of water hazards, and because it's all together, it doesn't wander through a housing development.   I got an eagle on #9 last year.   That may be the only eagle I've ever had.   I can't remember another eagle in my entire life.   I accidentally cut the dog leg with my tee shot, going to the right of that fairway bunker instead of to the left of it where I had been aiming, and I hit the cart path, which shot my ball forward and back into the fairway.   Then, a beautiful 5-wood with a nice gentle fade to the green, then a 15 foot downhill putt with about 18 inches of break just caught the corner of the hole and dropped in.      !!!!!!!!

I was so thrilled I dashed into the bar, which for the unfamiliar is right next to the 9th green, and announced, "I just eagled the 9th hole!"  The barflies smiled and gave me a nice polite round of applause and went back to their conversations.  I was walking on air for a week.

(03-25-2018, 08:51 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-25-2018, 07:46 PM)PF* Wrote: That's the one down on 210?

Yes.

I'm actually playing there tomorrow with my cousin.

They're letting you come back again?  

They must not remember our last round.

(03-25-2018, 10:16 PM)JagsorDie Wrote:
(03-25-2018, 07:46 PM)PF* Wrote: That's the one down on 210?

Yes. book your tee time on Golf Now... get it cheaper than usual

Golf Now is good. Keep an eye out for this one- every now and then they send out an Email offering 2 for 1 Hot Deals BOGO where, if you book a round for that weekend, they'll send you two codes, each worth $20 off of a round.

I got that email back a couple of months ago and was in Maine, up to my eyeballs in snow, and realized that it didn't say that you had to actually PLAY the round, just book it. So I found the cheapest round I could ($12 plus the $2-3 fee), booked it and, of course, didn't show up as I was 1400 miles away.

The two codes came that Monday and  I played the two rounds when I was in Florida in February, saving $40 on a $15 investment. Banana

I have played St. John's, maybe twice over the years, and have memories of it being a good course. Sure wasn't River Bend in GCS.