Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Golf Courses in NE Florida

I played the front 9 at Bent Creek yesterday, and I managed to birdie both par 5s, and double-bogey both par 3s. I can't recall ever doing that before.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-29-2018, 02:20 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I played the front 9 at Bent Creek yesterday, and I managed to birdie both par 5s, and double-bogey both par 3s.    I can't recall ever doing that before.

The highs and the lows of golf. Can't say I've done that either.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(This post was last modified: 04-03-2018, 11:43 AM by JagsorDie.)

(03-29-2018, 02:20 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I played the front 9 at Bent Creek yesterday, and I managed to birdie both par 5s, and double-bogey both par 3s.    I can't recall ever doing that before.

That is better than my weekend. I had a long 10+ foot putt for birdie on a par5. I gracefully overshot the cup and turned that into a 8foot putt for par. Then tapped that about halfway there, missed the 4foot bogey, and limped off the green with a double. 

Probably the worst 4putt I've done in a while.

Reminds me- did you see the Ernie Els putting fiasco last year at the Masters? Youtube it if you haven't and here's a link that might work:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=...Abo43dSZ1i

So I've never played golf on a golf course before, went to top golf once and hit a few balls. We have a corporate thing out in missouri in May and the boss and his boss want to play golf? How bad is it for a newbie first timer?
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(This post was last modified: 04-03-2018, 09:26 PM by JagsorDie.)

(04-03-2018, 07:40 PM)EricC85 Wrote: So I've never played golf on a golf course before, went to top golf once and hit a few balls. We have a corporate thing out in missouri in May and the boss and his boss want to play golf? How bad is it for a newbie first timer?

Depends. Having to hit a different club every stroke is one thing that will take some getting use to. That is one of the big differences between the driving range/topgolf and the real thing. One huge thing about playing a course i how much not hitting the ball straight will hurt you. The fairways may look wide but they get extremely narrow when you slice the ball right.

Here is some basic golf etiquette.
-who ever won the previous hole tees off first.
-when you are on the green, the farthest ball out puts and any other balls are marked with a coin or tee or something. Don't step in someones lane that are going to putting on, some people are anal about stepping on a line and messing up grass(doesn't really matter but good to know.).
-Don't talk during someones approach or swing(sort of self explanatory but people do that crap all the time).
-If you shank a ball toward someone or just in that direction, Yell FOUR loudly.
-Don't drive the golf cart near the green or tee box.
-Don't take a billion mulligans, Just tell your guy you will pick up your shot and move up to his ball(trust me, He will appreciate it).
May seem like a lot of junk but if you do all that stuff on your first time out it makes a world of difference. It sucks when no one tells you that stuff and you unintentionally make an [BLEEP] out of yourself. Most of the other stuff like letting people play through and stuff your boss will probably already know.

these are a few pointers i always give people-
 the biggest thing, ALWAYS focus on keeping your head still and keeping your eye on the ball. Newbies always try to look up and watch their shots and that's what ruins their ability to make good contact with the ball. Don't try and swing hard, just advance the ball down the course. Also, keep the ball on the ground as much as possible when you are around the green. Your boss may hit a nice wedge up in the air and drop it right down on the green from 5 yards off the green. Don't try that if you haven't practiced, It will not work end like you think. just get your putter out and push the ball on to the green.
These are some sort of advanced tips. If you know how to swing relatively good, the biggest thing i would focus on is keeping your left arm straight throughout your swing. you are essentially creating a double pendulum with your shoulders and your wrists so there needs to be two constants that don't break(left arm and your club). When you are going through your back swing, try not to start bending your wrists until your have brought the club back with your arms/shoulders and the club is about parallel with the ground. Think of it like you are sort of coiling up. Also try and follow through with your swing, your belt buckle should be pointing where you want the ball to land when you are finished with your swing. If it isn't, your hips didn't rotate through your swing enough and your ball is probably going to the right if you are right handed.
Sorry if you already know all this stuff but these are some of the things that i tell people who don't play much or just start.

If you enjoy a game with alot of mechanics that is really challenging but extremely rewarding, Golf will be awesome. No body is a natural at golf, the only way to get better is to play. I went through sucking for years where i would remember the few good shots i had in a round and it kept me coming back to get better. Now i remember mostly the few crappy shots and they keep me coming back for the same reason LOL. I always look at it like, someone took all these acres of land that could have developed into houses or something, and instead, configured it for me to play  game. not sure why but i always find that funny.

Edit: Oh yeah, and rake Bunkers after you hit in them.

(04-03-2018, 11:39 AM)PF* Wrote: Reminds me- did you see the Ernie Els putting fiasco last year at the Masters? Youtube it if you haven't and here's a link that might work:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=...Abo43dSZ1i

I remember that lol. That actually made me feel better. That was painful to watch but completely on him. He was trying to tap in a 3 footer like it was a gimme lol.

(04-03-2018, 09:17 PM)JagsorDie Wrote:
(04-03-2018, 07:40 PM)EricC85 Wrote: So I've never played golf on a golf course before, went to top golf once and hit a few balls. We have a corporate thing out in missouri in May and the boss and his boss want to play golf? How bad is it for a newbie first timer?

Depends. Having to hit a different club every stroke is one thing that will take some getting use to. That is one of the big differences between the driving range/topgolf and the real thing. One huge thing about playing a course i how much not hitting the ball straight will hurt you. The fairways may look wide but they get extremely narrow when you slice the ball right.

-when you are on the green, the farthest ball out puts and any other balls are marked with a coin or tee or something. Don't step in someones lane that are going to putting on, some people are anal about stepping on a line and messing up grass(doesn't really matter but good to know.).
-Don't talk during someones approach or swing(sort of self explanatory but people do that crap all the time).
-If you shank a ball toward someone or just in that direction, Yell FOUR loudly.
-Don't take a billion mulligans, Just tell your guy you will pick up your shot and move up to his ball(trust me, He will appreciate it).
May seem like a lot of junk but if you do all that stuff on your first time out it makes a world of difference. It sucks when no one tells you that stuff and you unintentionally make an [BLEEP] out of yourself. Most of the other stuff like letting people play through and stuff your boss will probably already know.

the biggest thing, ALWAYS focus on keeping your head still and keeping your eye on the ball. Newbies always try to look up and watch their shots and that's what ruins their ability to make good contact with the ball. Don't try and swing hard, just advance the ball down the course. Also, keep the ball on the ground as much as possible when you are around the green. Your boss may hit a nice wedge up in the air and drop it right down on the green from 5 yards off the green. Don't try that if you haven't practiced, It will not work end like you think. just get your putter out and push the ball on to the green.
These are some sort of advanced tips. If you know how to swing relatively good, the biggest thing i would focus on is keeping your left arm straight throughout your swing. you are essentially creating a double pendulum with your shoulders and your wrists so there needs to be two constants that don't break(left arm and your club). When you are going through your back swing, try not to start bending your wrists until your have brought the club back with your arms/shoulders and the club is about parallel with the ground. Think of it like you are sort of coiling up. Also try and follow through with your swing, your belt buckle should be pointing where you want the ball to land when you are finished with your swing. If it isn't, your hips didn't rotate through your swing enough and your ball is probably going to the right if you are right handed.
Sorry if you already know all this stuff but these are some of the things that i tell people who don't play much or just start.

If you enjoy a game with alot of mechanics that is really challenging but extremely rewarding, Golf will be awesome. No body is a natural at golf, the only way to get better is to play. I went through sucking for years where i would remember the few good shots i had in a round and it kept me coming back to get better. Now i remember mostly the few crappy shots and they keep me coming back for the same reason LOL. I always look at it like, someone took all these acres of land that could have developed into houses or something, and instead, configured it for me to play  game. not sure why but i always find that funny.

whew thanks I'm a total newbie so all that is great stuff. Especially the etiquette part, my goal is to just not make an [BLEEP] out of myself on day one. Day two and three we are fishing and then off to the shooting range where I'll be at home and in my natural element. Pretty stoked for the trip it's at the big bass pro resort in Missouri so it should be a good time.

(04-03-2018, 09:34 PM)EricC85 Wrote:
(04-03-2018, 09:17 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: Depends. Having to hit a different club every stroke is one thing that will take some getting use to. That is one of the big differences between the driving range/topgolf and the real thing. One huge thing about playing a course i how much not hitting the ball straight will hurt you. The fairways may look wide but they get extremely narrow when you slice the ball right.

whew thanks I'm a total newbie so all that is great stuff. Especially the etiquette part, my goal is to just not make an [BLEEP] out of myself on day one. Day two and three we are fishing and then off to the shooting range where I'll be at home and in my natural element. Pretty stoked for the trip it's at the big bass pro resort in Missouri so it should be a good time.
 That is a bad [BLEEP] work trip. That was Literally my bachelor party that my buddy threw for me in texas lol. Hunted on my buddies ranch for 4 days, tryed to go offshore fishing but got a little too drunk, then golfed...with a few things sprinkled in between lol.

But yeah if it is your first time, just have a good time. Don't try to be over competitive because you will just be met with a lot of frustration lol.

side note: if you do alot of fishing locally, i'm huge into inshore fishing here. used to do alot of off shore but kinda lost the passion for that. Too damn expensive.

I played for the first time just this last weekend. It wasn't real pretty, I mercy-ruled virtually every hole.

Hmmm- playing golf with the boss and his/her boss...that is fraught with danger. Golf brings out the worst in us- the frustration in the game is enormous. I don't know what your relationship is with your boss but you don't want him to see you swearing, throwing clubs, shooting at Missouri squirrels with a pistol you tucked away in your bag.

Any such display will be in front of his boss too. Danger.

(04-04-2018, 09:39 AM)PF* Wrote: Hmmm- playing golf with the boss and his/her boss...that is fraught with danger. Golf brings out the worst in us- the frustration in the game is enormous. I don't know what your relationship is with your boss but you don't want him to see you swearing, throwing clubs, shooting at Missouri squirrels with a pistol you tucked away in your bag.

And if his boss is the one who gets frustrated and angry, and Eric is around when this happens, Eric's boss could subconsciously associate Eric with frustration and anger. 

Much better for Eric to stay off the course completely, and just greet his boss at the 19th hole with a beer.

(04-04-2018, 09:53 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-04-2018, 09:39 AM)PF* Wrote: Hmmm- playing golf with the boss and his/her boss...that is fraught with danger. Golf brings out the worst in us- the frustration in the game is enormous. I don't know what your relationship is with your boss but you don't want him to see you swearing, throwing clubs, shooting at Missouri squirrels with a pistol you tucked away in your bag.

And if his boss is the one who gets frustrated and angry, and Eric is around when this happens, Eric's boss could subconsciously associate Eric with frustration and anger. 

Much better for Eric to stay off the course completely, and just greet his boss at the 19th hole with a beer.

This ^  would be my advice to Eric as well. 

Before playing a "business round" I'd get a lesson or two - even if it's just a casual day at the range with a friend who plays decently and gives you pointers - and then actually play nine holes yourself on a course. 

You'll have a much greater understanding of what's in store and expected. 
Most folks are very patient with beginners/novices on the course - but there's a chance your boss or his boss may not be as patient as some.

(04-04-2018, 10:32 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-04-2018, 09:53 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: And if his boss is the one who gets frustrated and angry, and Eric is around when this happens, Eric's boss could subconsciously associate Eric with frustration and anger. 

This ^  would be my advice to Eric as well. 

Before playing a "business round" I'd get a lesson or two - even if it's just a casual day at the range with a friend who plays decently and gives you pointers - and then actually play nine holes yourself on a course. 

You'll have a much greater understanding of what's in store and expected. 
Most folks are very patient with beginners/novices on the course - but there's a chance your boss or his boss may not be as patient as some.

I agree 1000% with TRM too. I'd skip the golf completely and get them over to the fishing and shooting areas. Assuming you're proficient at either/both, offer to help them improve their techniques and praise them (without being a suck-up).

(This post was last modified: 04-04-2018, 12:50 PM by rfc17.)

Anybody here play Pablo Creek? I've made it to most courses in the area but never there. Step-dad has played there a bunch. Says it's good. Hard.

I still make it to Jax a fair amount but when I do it's usually in the summer and I'm looking for beach time, not 90 degree days on the golf course. Before I left town though I usually played Windsor Parke because it was cheap and close. Would drive down to the world golf village if I found a good rate. Typically though my assessment of a course really depended on well it was maintained. And ultimately all I really care about are the greens. Keep them in good shape and I'm pretty happy. I dont care if the teebox is a sand pit or if the rough is a jungle. And honestly not many places in Jacksonville keep the greens in great shape. Windsor Parke usually had crap greens. Oak Bridge crap. Jax Beach is obviously not great. The Hampden courses were always hit or miss. St Johns GCG was usually in decent shape when I played so Ill give them credit. WGV courses are usually pretty good from what I remember. I've only played Osprey Cove a few times but each time the course was in great shape but that could have just been dumb luck with timing (someone was telling me it is private now). A few of the courses in Amelia I've played once and those were in good shape when I played. Ponte Vedra Ocean course was usually maintained pretty well.

I just dont play much down there now. And when I do I usually try to sneak on to Sawgrass if I can pull a few strings and not get gouged.

Big Grin 

(04-04-2018, 09:53 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

Great now im regretting agreeing to going lol. At least I have another co-worker who's never played going with us.

Don't let us sour you on the trip, it'll be fun. You can grab the co-worker as your partner and see how it goes. Golf is always fun if you let it.

My only golf tip: don't try to hit the ball too hard. Take a nice, controlled swing and just meet it.

(04-04-2018, 06:35 PM)EricC85 Wrote:
(04-04-2018, 09:53 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: And if his boss is the one who gets frustrated and angry, and Eric is around when this happens, Eric's boss could subconsciously associate Eric with frustration and anger. 

Great now im regretting agreeing to going lol. At least I have another co-worker who's never played going with us.

It's all good. You can still have fun out there!!  Just let the experienced guys know that you are new  - and don't be afraid to abandon a lost ball occasionally to just drop a new one near one of the others' balls in your group to keep the pace moving. That way no one gets any frustration by waiting on you to "catch up." 

Don't even bother with scoring - just try to keep getting closer to the pin with each stroke. 

PF* is right about swinging too hard. Don't try to kill it. Just think of making "solid contact."

(04-04-2018, 12:49 PM)rfc17 Wrote: Anybody here play Pablo Creek?  I've made it to most courses in the area but never there.  Step-dad has played there a bunch.  Says it's good.  Hard.  

I still make it to Jax a fair amount but when I do it's usually in the summer and I'm looking for beach time, not 90 degree days on the golf course.  Before I left town though I usually played Windsor Parke because it was cheap and close.  Would drive down to the world golf village if I found a good rate.  Typically though my assessment of a course really depended on well it was maintained.  And ultimately all I really care about are the greens.  Keep them in good shape and I'm pretty happy.  I dont care if the teebox is a sand pit or if the rough is a jungle.  And honestly not many places in Jacksonville keep the greens in great shape.  Windsor Parke usually had crap greens.  Oak Bridge crap.  Jax Beach is obviously not great.  The Hampden courses were always hit or miss.  St Johns GCG was usually in decent shape when I played so Ill give them credit.  WGV courses are usually pretty good from what I remember.  I've only played Osprey Cove a few times but each time the course was in great shape but that could have just been dumb luck with timing (someone was telling me it is private now).  A few of the courses in Amelia I've played once and those were in good shape when I played.  Ponte Vedra Ocean course was usually maintained pretty well.  

I just dont play much down there now.  And when I do I usually try to sneak on to Sawgrass if I can pull a few strings and not get gouged.

I have, it was a while ago, but was lucky enough to be invited by a member.  It's by far the nicest course in Jacksonville and by far the most exclusive course here.

Phil usually plays his practice rounds there when in town for THE PLAYERS.  Very much a good ole boys club...

(04-05-2018, 10:05 AM)KingIngram052787 Wrote:
(04-04-2018, 12:49 PM)rfc17 Wrote: Anybody here play Pablo Creek?  I've made it to most courses in the area but never there.  Step-dad has played there a bunch.  Says it's good.  Hard.  

I still make it to Jax a fair amount but when I do it's usually in the summer and I'm looking for beach time, not 90 degree days on the golf course.  Before I left town though I usually played Windsor Parke because it was cheap and close.  Would drive down to the world golf village if I found a good rate.  Typically though my assessment of a course really depended on well it was maintained.  And ultimately all I really care about are the greens.  Keep them in good shape and I'm pretty happy.  I dont care if the teebox is a sand pit or if the rough is a jungle.  And honestly not many places in Jacksonville keep the greens in great shape.  Windsor Parke usually had crap greens.  Oak Bridge crap.  Jax Beach is obviously not great.  The Hampden courses were always hit or miss.  St Johns GCG was usually in decent shape when I played so Ill give them credit.  WGV courses are usually pretty good from what I remember.  I've only played Osprey Cove a few times but each time the course was in great shape but that could have just been dumb luck with timing (someone was telling me it is private now).  A few of the courses in Amelia I've played once and those were in good shape when I played.  Ponte Vedra Ocean course was usually maintained pretty well.  

I just dont play much down there now.  And when I do I usually try to sneak on to Sawgrass if I can pull a few strings and not get gouged.

I have, it was a while ago, but was lucky enough to be invited by a member.  It's by far the nicest course in Jacksonville and by far the most exclusive course here.

Phil usually plays his practice rounds there when in town for THE PLAYERS.  Very much a good ole boys club...
This is the only course i haven't played in Jacksonville. I've heard the membership is upwards of 80k a year. That was just something someone told me at a club house bar so that could be completely wrong. That is insane. I also think membership is one of those where you have to be refereed by a member.