Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What will DJ Hayden bring to the Jaguars?

(03-20-2018, 08:01 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(03-20-2018, 07:53 PM)D6 Wrote: If the Jaguars plan is to use D.J. Hayden as a slot type of CB replacing Aaron Colvin,   the game tapes when he was with the Raiders in 2016 would be much more valuable to watch than the game tapes when he was with the Lions in 2017.   In 2017,   the vast majority of Hayden's Defensive plays were as an outside CB when he came in for parts of games in place of Nevin Lawson.

The hope is that he's improved a lot since his Raiders days.

Health was a huge obstacle for D.J. Hayden when with the Raiders.   That by itself should lead to continuing improvement for Hayden if he's relatively healthy for the 2nd straight year.  

Like I mentioned in the thread that focused on D.J. Hayden signing with the Jaguars,  I thought he had an average season with the Lions as an outside CB.  His coverage seemed a little above average.  His tackling seemed somewhat below average.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I dont think there is a better team that Hayden could go to with Ramsey and Bouye here. They will hold Hayden accountable and push him to be the best he can be. I think he has some untapped talent and could be a surprise to many this year.

(03-20-2018, 09:24 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I dont think there is a better team that Hayden could go to with Ramsey and Bouye here.  They will hold Hayden accountable and push him to be the best he can be. I think he has some untapped talent and could be a surprise to many this year.

One thing in particular that should help D.J. Hayden in a huge way with the Jaguars is the team's high caliber pass rush from the 2017 season being at or near that level in the 2018 season.  This is a luxury that Hayden didn't have anywhere near often enough this past season with the Lions.

If he can't thrive with two all pros outside.. my god

This could be a position to watch during camp. Not really a big fan of Hayden. I don't think Tyler Patmon has played all that bad the few times he subbed for Colvin, so I guess we'll see who fills that nickel spot.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

Hayden will be fine in the nickel role. Patmon can play at a decent level, should Hayden not work out.

(03-24-2018, 08:07 PM)ATLjag Wrote: Hayden will be fine in the nickel role.  Patmon can play at a decent level, should Hayden not work out.

We don't have any evidence he can be fine in a nickel role yet.

(03-19-2018, 09:16 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I think Hayden has more upside than Colvin

Wow. I hope

I think Hayden is gonna shine in the sunshine state. He'll be playing within one of the NFL's best secondary's. Can't blame him for terrible play in Oakland. Raiders D is soft.

(This post was last modified: 03-31-2018, 12:28 AM by haveaseat.)

Look at the teams Hayden has played on. The Raiders when they were terrible and the Lions who are stuck in a state of defensive mediocrity. This guy has the talent and intangibles playing with 2 All Pros to be our best FA signing.

(03-24-2018, 08:15 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-24-2018, 08:07 PM)ATLjag Wrote: Hayden will be fine in the nickel role.  Patmon can play at a decent level, should Hayden not work out.

It's called an opinion...you should try it.

(This post was last modified: 03-31-2018, 09:38 AM by JackCity.)

(03-31-2018, 09:20 AM)ATLjag Wrote:
(03-24-2018, 08:15 PM)JackCity Wrote: We don't have any evidence he can be fine in a nickel role yet.

It's called an opinion...you should try it.

Don't get upset. I offered my thoughts as a counter to yours. Generally how conversations work my good man.

(03-24-2018, 08:15 PM)JackCity Wrote:

I agree he should be fine there. He developed at the spot early on with the Raiders despite not quite living up to his first-round billing. He then moved onto the Lions where he proved he can play, and that he can even play outside. Now he's back with another chance to play inside where it began for him, and he's playing alongside the best secondary players in the league on a team people call "Sacksonville." By all rights, he should be having field days out there. 

'02

(03-31-2018, 09:46 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(03-24-2018, 08:15 PM)JackCity Wrote: We don't have any evidence he can be fine in a nickel role yet.

I agree he should be fine there. He developed at the spot early on with the Raiders despite not quite living up to his first-round billing. He then moved onto the Lions where he proved he can play, and that he can even play outside. Now he's back with another chance to play inside where it began for him, and he's playing alongside the best secondary players in the league on a team people call "Sacksonville." By all rights, he should be having field days out there. 

He was absolutely terrible in the slot for the Raiders. He played ok outside for the Lions but still not good.  

So no we don't have any evidence he can be good there yet. Hopefully he does, but based on past performance I am skeptical.

(03-31-2018, 10:33 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-31-2018, 09:46 AM)Jags02 Wrote:

He was absolutely terrible in the slot for the Raiders. He played ok outside for the Lions but still not good.  

So no we don't have any evidence he can be good there yet. Hopefully he does, but based on past performance I am skeptical.

He played better than just ok last year apparently having developed considerably since his days in Oakland. Let me simply re-quote the opening post to this thread which suggests he should perform even better than Colvin...

Quote: In 2017, Hayden allowed a career-best 0 TDs and 76.7 passer rating when targeted on 488 snaps, per Pro Football Focus. Hayden allowed 29 receptions on 50 targets (58.0% catch rate) for only 315 yards with 6 pass deflections and 2 fumble recoveries (1 returned for TD)...

In comparison, Aaron Colvin allowed 45 receptions on 62 targets (72.6% catch rate) for 317 yards on 700 snaps, also not allowing a TD in 2017. Colvin’s passer rating against when targeted was 83.9 and he finished the regular season with 1 pass deflection and no interceptions.....

'02

(03-31-2018, 04:37 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(03-31-2018, 10:33 AM)JackCity Wrote: He was absolutely terrible in the slot for the Raiders. He played ok outside for the Lions but still not good.  

He played better than just ok last year apparently having developed considerably since his days in Oakland. Let me simply re-quote the opening post to this thread which suggests he should perform even better than Colvin...

Quote: In 2017, Hayden allowed a career-best 0 TDs and 76.7 passer rating when targeted on 488 snaps, per Pro Football Focus. Hayden allowed 29 receptions on 50 targets (58.0% catch rate) for only 315 yards with 6 pass deflections and 2 fumble recoveries (1 returned for TD)...

In comparison, Aaron Colvin allowed 45 receptions on 62 targets (72.6% catch rate) for 317 yards on 700 snaps, also not allowing a TD in 2017. Colvin’s passer rating against when targeted was 83.9 and he finished the regular season with 1 pass deflection and no interceptions.....

Hayden was a rotational back up corner who played 44% of snaps. Colvin was a starting slot corner who played 67%. 

Important to remember the context here. Hayden's performance as a backup rotational corner does not suggest he will out perform Colvin in a starting slot role. Particularly given Hayden was one of the worst corners in football when he played slot for the Raiders.

(03-31-2018, 04:57 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-31-2018, 04:37 PM)Jags02 Wrote: He played better than just ok last year apparently having developed considerably since his days in Oakland. Let me simply re-quote the opening post to this thread which suggests he should perform even better than Colvin...

Hayden was a rotational back up corner who played 44% of snaps. Colvin was a starting slot corner who played 67%. 

Important to remember the context here. Hayden's performance as a backup rotational corner does not suggest he will out perform Colvin in a starting slot role. Particularly given Hayden was one of the worst corners in football when he played slot for the Raiders.

I see more to suggest he'll be even better than Colvin than I do to think he might be worse. Either way, as long as he's close to playing as well as Colvin did, we'll be fine. 
'02

(03-31-2018, 10:36 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(03-31-2018, 04:57 PM)JackCity Wrote: Hayden was a rotational back up corner who played 44% of snaps. Colvin was a starting slot corner who played 67%. 

I see more to suggest he'll be even better than Colvin than I do to think he might be worse. Either way, as long as he's close to playing as well as Colvin did, we'll be fine. 

I tend to agree with this logic, mostly based on the most recent examples of Hayden's play. It was very much improved and statistically, not far off from colvin and let's not forget how much more talented the jags defensive players around colvin were.

Now colvin did have almost 30% more snaps than Hayden like someone said above, but I believe 582 snaps Hayden played last year. 582 snaps, matched up with those stats, and I take into consideration that the jags front office seems to see something in him. 

Taking all of that into consideration, signs point to Hayden having a good chance to succeed in that role here
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

(03-31-2018, 10:36 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(03-31-2018, 04:57 PM)JackCity Wrote: Hayden was a rotational back up corner who played 44% of snaps. Colvin was a starting slot corner who played 67%. 

What have we seen to suggest he will be even better in the slot than Colvin was? Considering he barely played there for the lions.  

For the most part I do try and find positives about every FA signing and draft pick but this is one I am very skeptical on. If he was signed as depth I'd be fine with him.

(04-01-2018, 07:51 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-31-2018, 10:36 PM)Jags02 Wrote: I see more to suggest he'll be even better than Colvin than I do to think he might be worse. Either way, as long as he's close to playing as well as Colvin did, we'll be fine. 

What have we seen to suggest he will be even better in the slot than Colvin was? Considering he barely played there for the lions.  

For the most part I do try and find positives about every FA signing and draft pick but this is one I am very skeptical on. If he was signed as depth I'd be fine with him.

He'll be fine. Don Carey says DJ is good, so I'll take that.
'02