Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What will DJ Hayden bring to the Jaguars?

(04-01-2018, 08:41 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(04-01-2018, 07:51 AM)JackCity Wrote: What have we seen to suggest he will be even better in the slot than Colvin was? Considering he barely played there for the lions.  

For the most part I do try and find positives about every FA signing and draft pick but this is one I am very skeptical on. If he was signed as depth I'd be fine with him.

He'll be fine. Don Carey says DJ is good, so I'll take that.
Well he's hardly going to say he's bad now is he.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Hayden will be benefited from playing on a great Defense, with a great Secondary, but with that comes a few things..

He's going to get tested early and often by opposing teams. Ramsey, Bouye, or Hayden? It's pretty obvious which of those 3 I'd go after first.

If Hayden doesn't play well, it's going to be very glaring.

(04-01-2018, 10:12 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Hayden will be benefited from playing on a great Defense, with a great Secondary, but with that comes a few things..

He's going to get tested early and often by opposing teams. Ramsey, Bouye, or Hayden? It's pretty obvious which of those 3 I'd go after first.

This has been my thought as well. 

The pass rush certainly will help him at times. Having fast LBs will help him sometimes too in the middle.  
But for those saying playing w/ the best outside tandem is a plus...
I don't know about that. I think he may be singled out by better QBs and coordinators as a result of that tandem.

If the argument is that the rest of the defensive supporting cast is so good that anyone could do it and be fine then why didn't we just go get a cheap anyone and let him do it?

There isn't really a good way to spin getting a guy who has universally graded among the very worst at this position every year and then give him a very healthy contract on top of that.

(04-03-2018, 12:36 AM)Upper Wrote: If the argument is that the rest of the defensive supporting cast is so good that anyone could do it and be fine then why didn't we just go get a cheap anyone and let him do it?

There isn't really a good way to spin getting a guy who has universally graded among the very worst at this position every year and then give him a very healthy contract on top of that.

All you do is complain... Literally everything you post has some sort of complaint, and/or some sort of negative tone behind it.

We get it... This front office didn't sign your boyfriend Kirk Cousins.

(04-03-2018, 12:36 AM)Upper Wrote: If the argument is that the rest of the defensive supporting cast is so good that anyone could do it and be fine then why didn't we just go get a cheap anyone and let him do it?

Where are you showing that he was graded among the worst last year? The metrics in the opening post of this thread suggest otherwise. 
'02

(04-03-2018, 06:23 PM)Jags02 Wrote:

Where are you showing that he was graded among the worst last year? The metrics in the opening post of this thread suggest otherwise. 

He's referring to PFF grades.

(04-02-2018, 11:07 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-01-2018, 10:12 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Hayden will be benefited from playing on a great Defense, with a great Secondary, but with that comes a few things..

This has been my thought as well. 

The pass rush certainly will help him at times. Having fast LBs will help him sometimes too in the middle.  
But for those saying playing w/ the best outside tandem is a plus...
I don't know about that. I think he may be singled out by better QBs and coordinators as a result of that tandem.

It is a plus because if he is good he will have ample opportunities to make as many plays as possible. If he is terrible it will also be shown early. Most players would love two all pros outside so they know the ball is coming to them all game long.

(04-03-2018, 06:36 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(04-03-2018, 06:23 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Where are you showing that he was graded among the worst last year? The metrics in the opening post of this thread suggest otherwise. 

He's referring to PFF grades.

Also, he was ranked 101st at cornerback according to NFL1000. And every evaluators tweet when the news broke was ridiculing us, and that was before the expensive financials came out too.

(04-04-2018, 01:42 AM)Upper Wrote:
(04-03-2018, 06:36 PM)JackCity Wrote: He's referring to PFF grades.

Also, he was ranked 101st at cornerback according to NFL1000. And every evaluators tweet when the news broke was ridiculing us, and that was before the expensive financials came out too.

By pretty much ever evaluation data point you wanna look at Hayden has been a bad NFL player and corner.   

His agent did an awesome job capitalising on us. I feel we had him pinned as a depth signing but once Colvin slipped away we tried move this fast.

Quote:2017 stats: 16 games (1 start): 44 tackles, 0.5 sacks, 9 passes defended,
PFF Grade: 50.7 (96th of 121)
Hayden did not win out the nickelback job. In fact, it was never clear if he was up for that job at all. Instead, Hayden split time Nevin Lawson as an outside cornerback, while Diggs ran away with the job in the slot. Lawson may have started in 15 games opposite Darius Slay, but Hayden played almost an even amount of defensive snaps:
Nevin Lawson: 556 snaps
DJ Hayden: 488 snaps
Hayden struggled in 2017, but his PFF grade of 50.7 is actually significantly better than that of Lawson (41.7). Hayden also had five more pass breakups. It didn’t really seem like it, but Hayden actually outplayed Lawson.
https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2018/2/1/...vin-Lawson
At least he isn't 121!
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

I love the speed and quickness.
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

He should bring chicken wings, or maybe a hash-brown casserole.

Quote: - The defensive standout from the Friday practice was cornerback D.J. Hayden who produced two pass breakups and a "sack" with the first-team defense. This was easily Hayden's strongest practice of training camp as he had a strong night in coverage overall.

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/article/s...-580151745

Hayden looks to be growing into his role nicely thus far.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(08-04-2018, 12:57 AM)knarnn Wrote:
Quote: - The defensive standout from the Friday practice was cornerback D.J. Hayden who produced two pass breakups and a "sack" with the first-team defense. This was easily Hayden's strongest practice of training camp as he had a strong night in coverage overall.

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/article/s...-580151745

I thought he played well at the scrimmage.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(08-04-2018, 01:42 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(08-04-2018, 12:57 AM)knarnn Wrote: https://www.firstcoastnews.com/article/s...-580151745

I thought he played well at the scrimmage.

This is good news. The nickel is my only real defensive concern beyond rookie mistakes from the SAM.

DJ Hayden brings elite speed and athleticism to the field. He is also playing under a one year "prove it" contract. He will be in a DB room with 3 UDFA's that excell in preparation & film study. The young man will be put in an excellent position to succeed and if he doesn't than that's on him & the team will move on.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Yeah this signing was a bit of a head scratcher. I get we wanted to save some cap space but I guess we felt like Colvin was just a guy.
No pain, no gain.

Bumping this thread to update Hayden's status.

From my vantage point he played well vs ATL. Anyone see anything concerning?

(This post was last modified: 08-26-2018, 02:27 PM by knarnn.)

(08-26-2018, 01:26 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Bumping this thread to update Hayden's status.

From my vantage point he played well vs ATL.  Anyone see anything concerning?

Looks like he’s been a gem so far...
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."