Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
FIFA World Cup 2018

(07-10-2018, 12:28 PM)Andy G Wrote: Tell the Netherlands, Italy and Germany that Sweden are no good.

They’re not France, Belgium or Brazil, but they’re a very capable side who have given very good sides a tough game.

Agree on Kane’s role though.

Hey now, we didn't actually lose to Sweden. We just lost to France twice and for some reason decided to crap the bed against Bulgaria.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Best team in the tournament is through to the final. I would have preferred the flair players of Belgium to be on the biggest stage, but France would be worthy winners.

Strangely though, I’d feel more confident of matching up against the slightly more predictable French IF by some miracle we make the final (and I’m not confident we will do)

A side question though..

Who has been the best goalkeeper in the tournament?

Lloris and Courtois were both excellent again tonight, but who else is in the running?

I’d probably nominate Schmeichel, Subasic and our own Jordan Pickford...

(07-10-2018, 12:28 PM)Andy G Wrote: Tell the Netherlands, Italy and Germany that Sweden are no good.

They’re not France, Belgium or Brazil, but they’re a very capable side who have given very good sides a tough game.

Well Germany beat Sweden....they're just too reliant on Forsberg and well he has been bad the whole tournament and they are lucky other people have stepped up.

(07-10-2018, 12:09 PM)DarloJAG84 Wrote: Kane has played too deep.. but in doing that he's created room for Sterling to run in off of him.. opening up defences.. it's not a traditional way to use Kane, sure.. but it's worked..

I'm a big Sterling fan, was more of a fan before the whole Liverpool drama but I've always felt he is a better winger than a centre forward. Of course with the team setup they have they can't dont have another wing unless they put Rashford out wide but then they lose their central play. However, I would be curious on what they would look like if Rashford took over Kane's role and Kane moved to Sterling's. Obviously not saying they should change it for Croatia, just curious thoughts.

That's unfortunate that Belgium is out. But i will say France has been fun to watch throughout the tournament. Both teams are pretty young so the arrows only pointing up for both.

As for tomorrows match, I'm pulling for England. I think England may have a bit of an advantage not just in talent, but also because they got to rest most of their starters against Belgium in the last group game. I know we are two games removed from that, But Croatia looked like they were running on fumes at the end of the Russia game. I mean every one of Croatia's matches since getting out of group have gone to penalties and I believe their starting squad played every round in the group as well. Most of these guys are used to having a cup(sometimes 2) and league play with multiple games in a weak during the season, but Croatia looked like they were hurting a little bit in the last game. It's one thing to go 90 min, but they have played basically an extra 2 games when you add up all the extra time and the final group match.

England v France will be a hell of a match.

(07-10-2018, 05:41 PM)Andy G Wrote: Best team in the tournament is through to the final. I would have preferred the flair players of Belgium to be on the biggest stage, but France would be worthy winners.

Strangely though, I’d feel more confident of matching up against the slightly more predictable French IF by some miracle we make the final (and I’m not confident we will do)

A side question though..

Lloris and Courtois were both excellent again tonight, but who else is in the running?

I think you're right with all of those 'keepers mentioned.

Jordan Pickford has been excellent for a young GK. He's not had a lot to do, but he's remained focussed and that's shown when he's been called upon.

I also think the save he made from the close range Swede's header was one of the saves of the tournament.

(07-11-2018, 01:13 AM)ColoJag Wrote:
(07-10-2018, 12:09 PM)DarloJAG84 Wrote: Kane has played too deep.. but in doing that he's created room for Sterling to run in off of him.. opening up defences.. it's not a traditional way to use Kane, sure.. but it's worked..

I'm a big Sterling fan, was more of a fan before the whole Liverpool drama but I've always felt he is a better winger than a centre forward. Of course with the team setup they have they can't dont have another wing unless they put Rashford out wide but then they lose their central play. However, I would be curious on what they would look like if Rashford took over Kane's role and Kane moved to Sterling's. Obviously not saying they should change it for Croatia, just curious thoughts.

I think it'll click for Sterling tonight.. I'm not suggesting goals, but I reckon it'll be his best performance of the WC. I'd put him as more of a 'roamer' than a specific position.. the coach should just say "go out there and do what comes naturally", thus reducing the pressure to perform one specific role.
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

(07-11-2018, 01:03 AM)ColoJag Wrote:

Well Germany beat Sweden....they're just too reliant on Forsberg and well he has been bad the whole tournament and they are lucky other people have stepped up.

Germany beat Sweden, but I don’t think anyone would say they found it easy.

I’m not saying they’re world-beaters, but they are a better team than people have given them credit for and largely because they work hard and are very well organised.

Croatia will be a much bigger challenge though, if they can get over their marathon matches against Denmark and Russia...

(07-11-2018, 05:09 AM)DarloJAG84 Wrote:
(07-10-2018, 05:41 PM)Andy G Wrote: Best team in the tournament is through to the final. I would have preferred the flair players of Belgium to be on the biggest stage, but France would be worthy winners.

A side question though..

I think you're right with all of those 'keepers mentioned.

Jordan Pickford has been excellent for a young GK. He's not had a lot to do, but he's remained focussed and that's shown when he's been called upon.

I also think the save he made from the close range Swede's header was one of the saves of the tournament.

(07-11-2018, 01:13 AM)ColoJag Wrote: I'm a big Sterling fan, was more of a fan before the whole Liverpool drama but I've always felt he is a better winger than a centre forward. Of course with the team setup they have they can't dont have another wing unless they put Rashford out wide but then they lose their central play. However, I would be curious on what they would look like if Rashford took over Kane's role and Kane moved to Sterling's. Obviously not saying they should change it for Croatia, just curious thoughts.

I think it'll click for Sterling tonight.. I'm not suggesting goals, but I reckon it'll be his best performance of the WC. I'd put him as more of a 'roamer' than a specific position.. the coach should just say "go out there and do what comes naturally", thus reducing the pressure to perform one specific role.

I’m a little surprised it’s not clicked already for Sterling.

He’s playing a similar role to the one he played very successfully for Man City last season, but for whatever reason, he’s not quite found the openings he wants and hasn’t been able to finish off chances.

But it’s clear to see why he’ll give slower centre halves trouble in this tournament and I can see why Southgate would want him to operate through the middle.

Maybe he’ll have better luck against the Croatian centre halves.

(This post was last modified: 07-11-2018, 11:58 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

GOOD LUCK ENGLAND !!!

[Image: 268x0w.jpg]

Looks like 3rd place is coming home!

If England gets a corner please let Pickford score a goal.

Lowkey screamed and jumped off my couch when Croatia scored

Can’t complain about the result, the better team won.

If there’s a silver lining though, this England team is very young and will only get stronger with the players from the Under-17s and Under-20s joining them (after winning world cups at their age groups).

And after years of general disillusionment in the national team, the country is proud again.

Bring on the Euros!

Better team won.

This hurts, but they did us proud and rekindled MY love for the National Team...

[Image: forrest-gump-pic-1.jpg]
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

thought Croatia outplayed France most of the game, couple ref decisions cost them a couple goals (though handball was probably right)

tough break

Wow were the England commentators bitter or were they bitter hahaha, the coverage from Fox Sports this world cup has been absolutely dreadful. I get England has gone home with nothing but why rain on the french parade? Every big team that has gone home has been blasted by Fox Sports but England gets eliminated and it's oh the team is so young and is full of potential.....ya but so is France and Belgium so how are they going to close the gap?