Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Luke Joekel

dude needs to stay out of the NFL for a year and just juice up.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

For the Seahawks, Joeckel would play decently against average NFL DTs facing him. However, when he played Aaron Donald or other premium players, he would get completely exposed and annihilated. Also, he did have another knee surgery last year. Some team will give Joeckel another shot in a guard role to compete.

(This post was last modified: 03-31-2018, 08:55 AM by JUNGLE CAT 2017.)

Luke Joeckel was a terrific draft pick. He was clearly the best OT in the draft. Let's not scoff in the rear-view mirror. Luke didn't "fool" scouts. He impressed them. He was a perfect combination of talent, THE star offensive lineman coming off one of the most professional-looking offensive lines in recent college football history. As a Texas A&M sophomore, Joeckel was a mainstay of an offensive line that in 13 games yielded only nine sacks on quarterback Ryan Tannehill, who set all sorts of Aggies' records in passing and total offense in 2011.

Texas A&M football during the 'Johnny Football' era featured an offensive which predominantly utilized no more than five linemen to protect Manziel in the backfield. The didn't use RBs, FBs, and TEs to provide pass protection. They didn't need to. The task of improvising along with Manziel's darts, dives, and dekes made Texa A&M blockers' exception talents stand out.

It was very clear Joeckel was exceptionally talented. He won the 2012 Outland Trophy the award for the nation's best offensive lineman in college football. There's little doubt Luke was coaxed to declare for the NFL draft. He was pegged as the top offensive lineman and projected to be the number one over-all pick if he decided to leave college. When he left Texas A&M he was replaced at LT by future Atlanta Falcons' star, Jake Matthews.

Joeckel was drafted second over-all in the 2013 NFL draft. Let's not pretend that Joeckel didn't earn a promotion to starting tackle. He didn't fool anybody at all. What he did do for us is make LT Eugene Monroe very very nervous. I recall the apex of that pressure collimated in a film clip of Luke Joeckel taking Colts' DE Robert Mathis up into the air and body slamming him to the turf. 

People got their feathers ruffled when David Caldwell decided to vacate Eugene Monroe by moving Luke Joeckel to left tackle. Monroe had to be moved from the team due to his unwillingness to switch positions at the request of the coaches and front office. This jolt to Monroe and his fans was never over-come. Joeckel would face tons of passive aggressive behavior coming from the arrogant local media, who each year have their own designs on Jacksonville Jaguars' personnel changes, and the resulting misguided, ill-informed Jaguars' fans.

Unfortunately, Luke sustained a severely broken ankle in his first start on the left side. He never seemed to be the same tackle after that. Then again, Joeckel never gained support or at least never became the subject of thoughtful and considerate manners as he dealt with the ankle screwed and bolted back together. Nobody in Jacksonville ever gave Joeckel a break. 

Even that thimble-rigged trash site, Pro Football focus, piled on poor Luke, calling him the worst offensive tackle in the NFL in 2014, claiming he surrendered eight quarterback sacks. To this day it amaze me that any football fan would shamelessly adhere to their absurdly maudlin viciousness. They are absolutely sans media accountability and to note they offered NO EXPLANATION ABOUT THE OTHER SIXTY-THREE SACKS GIVEN UP IN 2014.  

It's very sad that we're to the point that a guy that actually played the game against the absolute best pass rushers in the league twice a season, actually endured the media and certain misguided fans daily beating him down, for them to claim he NEVER ROSE TO MANHOOD?

This would contrast horribly against the biased media and outspoken rabid fans as in time when a former Florida Gator, Dante Fowler, Jr. snapped his knee on the very first play of his first practice, three days of black flags and dark crepe paper festooning adorned the Modis facilities near Main. 

Joeckel is Old Yeller here. 

It's just insane to suggest Joeckel might be re-signed. He had to go. Every corrupt play called by inept, incompetent offensive coordinator(s), every half-effort by indifferent players here for a paycheck, every swinging gate on the offensive line scrub had their day. But I understand we Jaguars' fans are at a lost to comprehend the enmity STILL lurching at Luke Joeckel.

Luke Joeckel was NEVER given a first chance in Jacksonville. What makes one think he can get a second?

Woah. Actually agree with a Jungle Cat post.

I once saw LJ struggling to carry his end of his own couch moving into his condo in Jax beach. On the other end was my friend who was a maintenance guy at the building carrying the load with ease. This was when it became apparent that he lacked the physical strength necessary to play the position. Dude was weaker than a 200 pound maintenance guy. We have both laughed about it since.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(03-31-2018, 08:57 AM)JackCity Wrote: Woah. Actually agree with a Jungle Cat post.

I agree with several of his points in that post as well. 

But I also think Joeckel was indeed a boy among men in the NFL trenches as many have suggested. Bum ankle or not. 

I'm with the theory that there are genetic predispositions that have some implications in this kind of thing. 

I mean, look at Bortles coming out of school looking like a balding Bill Murray after a 4 day bender. 
[Image: Blake-Bortles-770x434.jpg]

Then you've got Luke...

[Image: luke-joeckel-04242013-f1662f05a045d276.jpg]

The guy STILL can't even grow a beard.

(03-31-2018, 10:25 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-31-2018, 08:57 AM)JackCity Wrote: Woah. Actually agree with a Jungle Cat post.

I agree with several of his points in that post as well. 

But I also think Joeckel was indeed a boy among men in the NFL trenches as many have suggested. Bum ankle or not. 

I'm with the theory that there are genetic predispositions that have some implications in this kind of thing. 

I mean, look at Bortles coming out of school looking like a balding Bill Murray after a 4 day bender. 

Then you've got Luke...

I didn't read as far as that part where he defended Luke as player.   

I think Luke is the perfect example of how important mentality is for a football player. Just didn't have what it takes to play Oline. 

Hmmm, I am intrigued by this. I wonder is there a metric where we can measure beard/beard growing ability so see how good an Oline will be?

(03-31-2018, 09:44 AM)Jagwired Wrote: I once saw LJ struggling to carry his end of his own couch moving into his condo in Jax beach. On the other end was my friend who was a maintenance guy at the building carrying the load with ease. This was when it became apparent that he lacked the physical strength necessary to play the position. Dude was weaker than a 200 pound maintenance guy. We have both laughed about it since.

Interesting story. Your maintenance pal obviously has carried more than one couch into or out of a condo in his day. That lack of experience pulling along side a veteran probably has a lot to do with any awkwardness Joeckel may have demonstrated in that situation. 

You may also inadvertently correctly appraised the old Jaguars' offensive line, which for lack of equal talent always appeared to be un-evenly yoked.  

To those who insisted that trading Monroe for NOT accepting a position change, you are at a total loss to justify all the ill-will and animosity given to Luke Joeckel. Most Jaguars' fans are NOT captured up by the same old good old boys who maintain a tight control over what's media for Jacksonville consumers and what's not. We know the injury Luke sustained, and we knew he was only going to be given a short-term reprieve before the passive aggressive behavior returned. 

"Luke Joeckel: Worst Offensive Lineman In The NFL" was the headline. It would be nice to say they got off his back allowing him to have a fresh start with another team, but what's not to understand about the vindictive jerks at PFF?

I'll guess at least 50% of Luke Joeckel's worst critics (and probably the entire cackling coup of PFF hens) would NEVER care to edify the rest of us with the fact that Eugene Monroe, who was converted by David Caldwell into fourth and fifth round picks, was out of football forever in a little more than two years. He stands as the greatest free agency FLOP in Ravens' team history.

(03-31-2018, 10:38 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-31-2018, 10:25 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I agree with several of his points in that post as well. 

Then you've got Luke...

I think Luke is the perfect example of how important mentality is for a football player. Just didn't have what it takes to play Oline. 

Hmmm, I am intrigued by this. I wonder is there a metric where we can measure beard/beard growing ability so see how good an Oline will be?

LOL

Let's see...

We'll need metrics collected prior to combine measurements for beard density, existence and depth of crow's feet and bags unde rone's eyes, receding hairline geometry. What else? Ability and understanding of how to move furniture into one's domicile possibly?   We need a few more indicators.

(03-31-2018, 11:14 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-31-2018, 10:38 AM)JackCity Wrote: I didn't read as far as that part where he defended Luke as player.   

LOL

Let's see...

We'll need metrics collected prior to combine measurements for beard density, existence and depth of crow's feet and bags unde rone's eyes, receding hairline geometry. What else? Ability and understanding of how to move furniture into one's domicile possibly?   We need a few more indicators.

Ya never grade a man by his mush. Zoot Sims NEVER had a hint of evening shade.

(This post was last modified: 03-31-2018, 01:48 PM by JUNGLE CAT 2017.)

Quarterback can be like leading a jazz combo.

Tryin' to see Blake in a new light...

Just tryin' to see Blake in a new light. I wonder if Dave struggled with his horse teeth in his whiskers-free environment. (check out the drums) Guy could force the franchise to move the whole drum line.

(03-31-2018, 11:14 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-31-2018, 10:38 AM)JackCity Wrote: I didn't read as far as that part where he defended Luke as player.   

LOL

Let's see...

Love it. 

New drill at the combine: Has to move a large couch through a front door and into a living room.  

Perhaps to test "character" the prospects would be given a good whiskey and their facial reaction can be measured.   

Speed painting a fence/wall?

We might see a mass influx of out of shape middle aged fathers into the league as linemen with these new tests.

(This post was last modified: 04-03-2018, 01:16 AM by JUNGLE CAT 2017.)

OK. The Jaguars bring back Luke Joeckel, but they convert him to tight end. 

If you put him in a trips-L or trips-R formation, it's like the the starship Enterprise has beamed over a OT to block the DBs on the bubble screen. In other words, Joeckel will already be there, no need to sprint Cam Robinson out there.

You see all the rub routes the Patriots used. Well? Luke can chug off the line now at the snap and sort of block/get in the way down field before the pass is thrown in a way. Aye, there's the rub!

The old 'hook and ladder' play could become the 'hook and Joeckel' play?

What would it benefit the Jaguars' offense to re-sign Joeckel and convert him as a tight end? 

Imagine the stealthy advantage of operating out of the two tight end formation and you're the only one who knows you really have a three-tackle formation?

I can see the opposition blowing a gasket and I like it.

(03-31-2018, 10:38 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-31-2018, 10:25 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I agree with several of his points in that post as well. 

Then you've got Luke...

Okay, so as a guy who can't grow a beard and has a baby face to rival Luke's over here, this is something i've looked into a bit. It's part genetics and part testosterone. An increase in testosterone definitely promotes facial hair growth, but doesn't necessarily overcome any genetic hurdles life threw in your way.  You'll also notice a very interesting correlation to hair loss with hair growth on the rest of your body. Generally speaking, those with hairier chests, back, and faces (among other areas) are more likely to go bald up top. That being said, Luke does look like he can grow way more facial hair than, me, for example in that picture alone, as evidenced by the stubble on his jaw line and upper lip. This could be the extent of it due to his presumed high levels of testosterone and he's unlikely to be able to grow a nice full beard. What I haven't seen is any studies on whether steroid use promotes facial hair growth, but I have heard accounts that it does... albeit temporarily.

(This post was last modified: 04-04-2018, 01:23 PM by pirkster.)

[Image: cvr9781451650488_9781451650488_lg.jpg]
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(04-03-2018, 01:16 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: OK. The Jaguars bring back Luke Joeckel, but they convert him to tight end. 

If you put him in a trips-L or trips-R formation, it's like the the starship Enterprise has beamed over a OT to block the DBs on the bubble screen. In other words, Joeckel will already be there, no need to sprint Cam Robinson out there.

You see all the rub routes the Patriots used. Well? Luke can chug off the line now at the snap and sort of block/get in the way down field before the pass is thrown in a way. Aye, there's the rub!

The old 'hook and ladder' play could become the 'hook and Joeckel' play?

What would it benefit the Jaguars' offense to re-sign Joeckel and convert him as a tight end? 

Imagine the stealthy advantage of operating out of the two tight end formation and you're the only one who knows you really have a three-tackle formation?

I can see the opposition blowing a gasket and I like it.

They should have done that with Guy Whimper.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"