Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trump Supporters: Let me ask you a question.

That's why I looked at it as an "ole'" by the President.

Bottom line, it was written by Congress for Congress. He just stamped it. He admitted no one could read it, and only pointed to the things he liked in it. He also said "never again."

That's telling Congress that anything in it or about it, including the process, that isn't good - is theirs to own. Particularly when elections are upcoming.

Again, 1996 was the last time we had a real budget done the proper way.

That's why I compare it to the donut scene in Full Metal Jacket. Trump forced Congress to eat the donut. The country is paying for it. Time for a soap party for the career politicians who refuse to fix our budget problem.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-29-2018, 12:34 PM)pirkster Wrote: That's why I looked at it as an "ole'" by the President.

Bottom line, it was written by Congress for Congress.  He just stamped it.  He admitted no one could read it, and only pointed to the things he liked in it.  He also said "never again."

That's telling Congress that anything in it or about it, including the process, that isn't good - is theirs to own.  Particularly when elections are upcoming.

Again, 1996 was the last time we had a real budget done the proper way.

That's why I compare it to the donut scene in Full Metal Jacket.  Trump forced Congress to eat the donut.  The country is paying for it.  Time for a soap party for the career politicians who refuse to fix our budget problem.

I see your point but I respectfully disagree.  He could have done the right thing and sent the bill back to be properly vetted.  THAT is draining the swamp!  Instead we got business as usual.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(03-27-2018, 12:12 PM)pirkster Wrote:
(03-27-2018, 01:21 AM)BigJag57 Wrote: So I haven't been around for a bit, more lurking than anything I suppose which is normal for me this time of year, so HI!! 

Lets plan to just have a civil and calm discussion about this, no more. 

If you voted for Trump and was encouraged by him winning up to this point, why do you think he's truly making America great again? Like, show me, with valid journalistic sources, proof that he's doing the country good. 

If you voted for Trump and was encouraged by him winning up to this point, and now you regret it. What has he done that made you come to this decision? 

I feel like I, for once, would like to come to a deeper understanding as to why there can be such a major divide between people due to their political views. People who would otherwise probably get along pretty great! I know that I have had just as much fond memories with my Republican friends as I have with my more liberal friends. Two different kinds of experiences, but both coming together would definitely top them all.

It's very, very simple - and you don't need "journalistic sources" to see the simple truth, either.  Today's "journalistic sources" are more biased today than they've ever been.  Most, especially mainstream, will give you the extreme view from either side.

He has, in year one:

cut taxes
lower unemployment rate (minorities have never been in a better position in recent history)
more people are moving off welfare and food stamps than they are moving to them
historic reduction in illegal immigration
defeated ISIS
restarting NASA
strengthened the economy (the market is reflecting the reduction of punitive regulatory policy of the previous administration)
repealed the unconstitutional employer mandate
appointed the most qualified and accomplished Supreme Court justice in decades
pulled out of Paris Climate Accord
reduced the number of federal employees
actually acted on moving on Congress' decades old decision to move the Israelian embassy to Jerusalem
filled court vacancies at a historic pace
opened ANWAR
US oil production highest since 1970
stands up to foreign leaders rather than bow to them - Russia, North Korea, China all stronger stances against than our past leadership

All this can be found in "journalistic sources," whether they are celebrating or lamenting these facts.  These accomplishments are predictably, routinely, and summarily dismissed by the radical left.

It is a similar litmus test for those who will respond to the facts in this post as well.

Historically speaking, the facts show he has few peers for how much he's accomplished in year one.

I am probably as surprised as anyone at this.  He certainly was not my first choice.  He was, however, is who we needed.  There is no perfect candidate who you are going to like 100%.  Political hacks attacking those who support him pretend this isn't true.  It's just their veil to attack him and his supporters in their cult war.  It shouldn't need to be repeated, but we got the best of two bad candidates.  But what makes Trump "bad" to most folks on both sides, is that he's not the career politician so many blindly accept and desire.  Most people, particularly those on the radical left, fall in line like sheep behind candidates who have the capital letter they prefer by their name.  Trump is not the same.  He's attacked by those committed to either capital letter.

So, as the capital letters wage their uncivil war... I reject both of them.  We all should.  The career politicians are killing their country like parasites gutting their host.

Few get this.

I support the good he's accomplished.  I certainly don't blindly support him or every single thing he does.  I also do not blindly reject him and every single thing he does.  There's good and bad in everyone.  We should have seen the blanket rejection of Trump coming from miles away after seeing the reaction from the left after the 2000 election (which they still deny was won by Bush, just as they deny Trump won.)  The radical left will "resist" anything not aligned with themselves.  It's their mantra.  It's their war.  It will not end well.  But it must end.

Best post I've read in quite some time.
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

(03-28-2018, 09:56 AM)Kane Wrote: I'm a policy guy. Most anti-Trumpers are people who hate the person Trump.
And I can't say I blame most of them. He's kinda an [BLEEP].
But it's the kind of persona America needs right now... and if it gets stuff done then that is why I'm supportive of him as POTUS. I didn't vote... because, well I don't vote (see Republican primary screw job of Ron Paul and DNC screw job of Bernie) because I don't think it truly matters in the end.

I was hopeful of Trump's tenure and while he has gotten a lot of stuff done and moving in policy form I like the 1 thing that has really got my gooty is that he signed that terrible no good awful omnibuscrash bill to "fund the government".
Why would someone claiming to be conservative pass such an awful bill that includes billions in foreign aid such as "promoting democracy in the UK" and college grants for Lebanon and so much more wasteful spending? Well because he got more money to spend on the military efforts of being a constant warfare state and world police.
Should have vetoed the bill.
Its the first time that I've been dejected and very angry with what he did as POTUS.

All Trumps personal crap... his mannerisms, his choice of sharp words, his stormy past... I don't care about any of it.
As POTUS he did a lot of good things early and quickly by signing one very liberal budget bill took a big hit to his truly fiscal conservative base.

Pretty much my views and beliefs as well regarding him so far.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-27-2018, 07:44 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(03-27-2018, 12:12 PM)pirkster Wrote: It's very, very simple - and you don't need "journalistic sources" to see the simple truth, either.  Today's "journalistic sources" are more biased today than they've ever been.  Most, especially mainstream, will give you the extreme view from either side.

He has, in year one:

cut taxes
lower unemployment rate (minorities have never been in a better position in recent history)
defeated ISIS
restarting NASA
strengthened the economy (the market is reflecting the reduction of punitive regulatory policy of the previous administration)
actually acted on moving on Congress' decades old decision to move the Israelian embassy to Jerusalem
opened ANWAR
stands up to foreign leaders rather than bow to them - Russia, North Korea, China all stronger stances against than our past leadership

All this can be found in "journalistic sources," whether they are celebrating or lamenting these facts.  These accomplishments are predictably, routinely, and summarily dismissed by the radical left.

It is a similar litmus test for those who will respond to the facts in this post as well.

Historically speaking, the facts show he has few peers for how much he's accomplished in year one.

I am probably as surprised as anyone at this.  He certainly was not my first choice.  He was, however, is who we needed.  There is no perfect candidate who you are going to like 100%.  Political hacks attacking those who support him pretend this isn't true.  It's just their veil to attack him and his supporters in their cult war.  It shouldn't need to be repeated, but we got the best of two bad candidates.  But what makes Trump "bad" to most folks on both sides, is that he's not the career politician so many blindly accept and desire.  Most people, particularly those on the radical left, fall in line like sheep behind candidates who have the capital letter they prefer by their name.  Trump is not the same.  He's attacked by those committed to either capital letter.

So, as the capital letters wage their uncivil war... I reject both of them.  We all should.  The career politicians are killing their country like parasites gutting their host.

Few get this.

I support the good he's accomplished.  I certainly don't blindly support him or every single thing he does.  I also do not blindly reject him and every single thing he does.  There's good and bad in everyone.  We should have seen the blanket rejection of Trump coming from miles away after seeing the reaction from the left after the 2000 election (which they still deny was won by Bush, just as they deny Trump won.)  The radical left will "resist" anything not aligned with themselves.  It's their mantra.  It's their war.  It will not end well.  But it must end.

I couldn't put it any better, especially the part in bold.  I reluctantly voted for him (more a vote AGAINST Hillary) as he wasn't my primary choice.  His signing of the the "budget" (spending bill) last week is something that I certainly disagree with.

Regarding the OP, do I regret how I cast my vote?  Not in the least bit.

The real problem in Washington is career politicians that only care about remaining in office.  People always talk about term limits, but the reality is we don't need a new law.  The people have the power to do it themselves yet fail to exorcise that power (the voting booth).  Serving in Congress was never intended to be a career, yet you have members in Congress that do as such.  Serving in Congress was intentionally supposed to be a civic duty not a lifetime career.  The problem is that the population will not vote out any member of Congress that has been there for more than 8 or 10 years.  That goes for both sides.  We allow these career politicians to remain.

As it relates to our current President and many successful Presidents in the past, the better ones were not career politicians, they were outsiders.

The constitution was written by James Madison.  Madison was the epitome of a "career politician".  Every job he ever had was a political job.  Our leaders have definitely strived over the years to make serving in different legislatures a part time or part of life job, but from the beginning it didn't have to be that way.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-27-2018, 12:12 PM)pirkster Wrote:
(03-27-2018, 01:21 AM)BigJag57 Wrote: So I haven't been around for a bit, more lurking than anything I suppose which is normal for me this time of year, so HI!! 

Lets plan to just have a civil and calm discussion about this, no more. 

If you voted for Trump and was encouraged by him winning up to this point, why do you think he's truly making America great again? Like, show me, with valid journalistic sources, proof that he's doing the country good. 

If you voted for Trump and was encouraged by him winning up to this point, and now you regret it. What has he done that made you come to this decision? 

I feel like I, for once, would like to come to a deeper understanding as to why there can be such a major divide between people due to their political views. People who would otherwise probably get along pretty great! I know that I have had just as much fond memories with my Republican friends as I have with my more liberal friends. Two different kinds of experiences, but both coming together would definitely top them all.

It's very, very simple - and you don't need "journalistic sources" to see the simple truth, either.  Today's "journalistic sources" are more biased today than they've ever been.  Most, especially mainstream, will give you the extreme view from either side.

He has, in year one:

cut taxes
defeated ISIS
restarting NASA
opened ANWAR

Few get this.

I'm going to revise this list, striking out things that aren't the President's responsibility, or might have happened with Hillary as President, then I will bold the things that Trump actually should get credit for, good or bad:
cut taxes
lower unemployment rate (minorities have never been in a better position in recent history) (was already happening under Obama, not President's direct responsibility)
more people are moving off welfare and food stamps than they are moving to them (related to above)
historic reduction in illegal immigration (was already happening under Obama)

defeated ISIS(was already happening under Obama)
restarting NASA(was already happening under Obama)
strengthened the economy (the market is reflecting the reduction of punitive regulatory policy of the previous administration) (the stock market is not the economy, regardless, this was already happening under Obama)
appointed the most qualified and accomplished Supreme Court justice in decades (here you are claiming that the person appointed is good, and that's fine, but the Senate deserves some of the credit.  Unlikely that Hillary would have been allowed by the Senate to fill the seat)
actually acted on moving on Congress' decades old decision to move the Israelian embassy to Jerusalem (has ground been broken yet?)
filled court vacancies at a historic pace (The Senate has permitted this.  They wouldn't have permitted Hillary to do so, and that is not her fault, nor is it to Trump's credit)
opened ANWAR
US oil production highest since 1970 (was already happening under Obama)
stands up to foreign leaders rather than bow to them - Russia, North Korea, China all stronger stances against than our past leadership (this is extremely subjective. there was no direct military confrontation, there is no direct military confrontation, and none of us know exactly what is said between these different leaders)

So you see it's really a much shorter list, and the goodness of it is ambiguous.  A lot remains to be seen.

(03-29-2018, 12:34 PM)pirkster Wrote: Bottom line, it was written by Congress for Congress.  He just stamped it.  He admitted no one could read it, and only pointed to the things he liked in it.  He also said "never again."

Worst excuse ever. 

Any CEO of a publicly traded company would be immediately released from his position by the Board of Directors if they were to explicitly state that after signing an Agreement.

(04-06-2018, 02:03 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(03-29-2018, 12:34 PM)pirkster Wrote: Bottom line, it was written by Congress for Congress.  He just stamped it.  He admitted no one could read it, and only pointed to the things he liked in it.  He also said "never again."

Worst excuse ever. 

Any CEO of a publicly traded company would be immediately released from his position by the Board of Directors if they were to explicitly state that after signing an Agreement.

As it turns out, the idea of a CEO and the idea of a publicly traded company are both newer than the idea of a US President, and one works nothing like the other.