Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Self-Driving Uber Car Kills

(03-29-2018, 09:02 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(03-29-2018, 05:55 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: Uber having this car on the road is like hiring a drunk driver for a taxi. There was enough space even in the visible realm for a human to at least slow, a car with lidar and radar should have seen her way before that.

Its coming out now that had UBER left the basic safety features in the volvo intact (the ones from the factory) the car would have likely stopped and prevented the accident.

They have been banned from testing in Arizona and Uber will no longer be testing in Ca (they are not going to renew their lincense to test after California DOT indicated they would investigate the arizona crash also). 

Uber messed up big on this one, in a situation they not only claimed the car could deal with, but do it better than a human, when in fact it did worse.

I question if they'd actually be able to detect the pedestrian, and I feel like they're just saying that so people don't lose all faith in their driverless system. 

I'm certainly not a mathwiz, so correct me if you know better. At her speed, the driver would need about 100 feet to stop the car. It'd take between 1-2 seconds to travel 100 feet. If she's walking at a normal 3 mph, then she would take about 3 seconds to cross two lanes. The pedestrian wouldn't even have been on that side of the road until the car is well within the unstoppable range. My guess, because she's not visible, is that she was in the median or slightly on the other side as the car was within 100 feet.

I assume their technology would have detected something already in the driver's lane, but because she wasn't in the driver's lane (or maybe even on that side of the road), I question if the technology could actually detect that movement.

A commenter on car and driver who is much better at math than I am, figured this out already. Basically the car could have stopped within a second or about 59 ft, if the brakes were pressed. Even in the crappy video you have at least 1.5 seconds where the woman was visable. 

Its also been suggested that without the dynamic shading present in the video a human could have seen her earlier if one had been paying attention. This accident was completely avoidable on multiple levels.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-29-2018, 09:12 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(03-29-2018, 09:05 PM)Sneakers Wrote: Slow as molasses only makes it a bigger system malfunction.  The car failed to detect a slow-moving obstacle in it's path and drove directly into it.

I'm against autonomous vehicles. I see no value in them whatsoever. Call me old-fashioned, but when a person gets killed, I want it to be the fault of another person, not a "thinking" machine.

Not long from now autonomous vehicles will cost less and perform better than you.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-29-2018, 11:00 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-29-2018, 09:12 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: I'm against autonomous vehicles. I see no value in them whatsoever. Call me old-fashioned, but when a person gets killed, I want it to be the fault of another person, not a "thinking" machine.

Not long from now autonomous vehicles will cost less and perform better than you.

They may well outperform humans in many routine situations.  I have no confidence in their ability to correctly respond to the more unusual dangers that occur.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(03-29-2018, 11:52 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(03-29-2018, 11:00 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Not long from now autonomous vehicles will cost less and perform better than you.

They may well outperform humans in many routine situations.  I have no confidence in their ability to correctly respond to the more unusual dangers that occur.

And thats why human driving, the source of the vast majority of unusual dangers, will be priced out of service. Eventually any vehicular collision could result in financial ruin and lengthy jail terms because human driving will be considered de facto negligence.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Seeing as every Uber I have gotten in for the past year smells like stale bean curd, I'd welcome a self driving XC90 in a heart beat. I wonder if it is self cleaning too....

I've never used Uber so I guess I'm safe as long as I'm not a pedestrian.

It’s more than likely that you could bring your cocktails and leave your empties without issue
“You may never know what results come of your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results.”
“If you find a way to motivate an idiot you have a motivated idiot”

(03-30-2018, 08:25 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Seeing as every Uber I have gotten in for the past year smells like stale bean curd, I'd welcome a self driving XC90 in a heart beat. I wonder if it is self cleaning too....

Dude, you're getting the wrong Ubers. I have never had a bad ride in one, and I practically live in the things when I'm on the road.

(03-30-2018, 04:34 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(03-30-2018, 08:25 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Seeing as every Uber I have gotten in for the past year smells like stale bean curd, I'd welcome a self driving XC90 in a heart beat. I wonder if it is self cleaning too....

Dude, you're getting the wrong Ubers. I have never had a bad ride in one, and I practically live in the things when I'm on the road.

This is mainly in D.C. I am told by co-workers this is pretty common there.

(03-30-2018, 04:46 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(03-30-2018, 04:34 PM)TJBender Wrote: Dude, you're getting the wrong Ubers. I have never had a bad ride in one, and I practically live in the things when I'm on the road.

This is mainly in D.C. I am told by co-workers this is pretty common there.

I was up there for a conference a couple of months back, both Uber rides were solid. Either I've been lucky or I have low standards. You be the judge.

(03-30-2018, 09:35 AM)13Coronas Wrote: It’s more than likely that you could bring your cocktails and leave your empties without issue

This is a very good point. With no driver, there's no one on hand to complain if you leave the car full of trash.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(03-30-2018, 07:21 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-29-2018, 11:52 PM)Sneakers Wrote: They may well outperform humans in many routine situations.  I have no confidence in their ability to correctly respond to the more unusual dangers that occur.

And thats why human driving, the source of the vast majority of unusual dangers, will be priced out of service. Eventually any vehicular collision could result in financial ruin and lengthy jail terms because human driving will be considered de facto negligence.
A computer is fine for climate control.  I'm not giving up gas, brakes and steering.

(03-30-2018, 09:30 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(03-30-2018, 07:21 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: And thats why human driving, the source of the vast majority of unusual dangers, will be priced out of service. Eventually any vehicular collision could result in financial ruin and lengthy jail terms because human driving will be considered de facto negligence.
A computer is fine for climate control.  I'm not giving up gas, brakes and steering.

You already have an electronic throttle control, automatic braking and steering assist in new cars. You already gave up control, all you have left is it's illusion.

(03-30-2018, 11:10 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-30-2018, 09:30 PM)Sneakers Wrote: A computer is fine for climate control.  I'm not giving up gas, brakes and steering.

You already have an electronic throttle control, automatic braking and steering assist in new cars. You already gave up control, all you have left is it's illusion.

Do you really think that car companies are just going to ignore the millions of potential customers who don't want a computer overriding their control? I personally wouldn't buy a car unless the computer overrides can be turned off. I'd just keep repairing my existing car or buy a "classic" old car.

Of course the government could use its guns to force computer control upon the public. That's probably what will happen.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(03-30-2018, 11:44 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(03-30-2018, 11:10 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You already have an electronic throttle control, automatic braking and steering assist in new cars. You already gave up control, all you have left is it's illusion.

Do you really think that car companies are just going to ignore the millions of potential customers who don't want a computer overriding their control? I personally wouldn't buy a car unless the computer overrides can be turned off. I'd just keep repairing my existing car or buy a "classic" old car.

Of course the government could use its guns to force computer control upon the public. That's probably what will happen.

Yes, the economics will eventually demand it. Most likely the government requirements for insurance will price human driving out of the market. Slap criminal liability on top of that and you have the nudge the vast majority of people need to make the switch.

(03-30-2018, 11:10 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-30-2018, 09:30 PM)Sneakers Wrote: A computer is fine for climate control.  I'm not giving up gas, brakes and steering.

You already have an electronic throttle control doesn't count because it responds to my foot, automatic braking ABS is good for most drivers (can be unplugged), true automatic braking failed in this instance and steering assist don't like the feeling, think I'll unplug that one too in new cars. You already gave up control, all you have left is it's illusion.  I did that when I got married, I'm not doing it with my car too.

(03-28-2018, 04:41 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: I just want to know who is legally responsible in this case? Uber? The car manufacturer? The "driver"? Arizona?

The jay walker was responsible.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(03-31-2018, 07:51 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(03-30-2018, 11:10 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You already have an electronic throttle control doesn't count because it responds to my foot, automatic braking ABS is good for most drivers (can be unplugged), true automatic braking failed in this instance and steering assist don't like the feeling, think I'll unplug that one too in new cars. You already gave up control, all you have left is it's illusion.  I did that when I got married, I'm not doing it with my car too.

You're flailing against the inevitable there grandpa.

(03-31-2018, 01:16 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You're flailing against the inevitable there grandpa.

Get off my lawn break pedal!

(03-31-2018, 01:18 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(03-31-2018, 01:16 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You're flailing against the inevitable there grandpa.

Get off my lawn break pedal!

How heart braking.