Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Self-Driving Uber Car Kills

(04-02-2018, 11:38 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(04-02-2018, 09:53 PM)Sneakers Wrote: There is a vast difference between mapping a road for informational purposes and creating a sensor array capable of the degree of precision necessary to operate an automobile, even in  perfect conditions.  

How many sensors per mile do you anticipate this requiring? Where are they placed?  Are they powered?  If so, how?

ZWhat happens when a sensor fails?  What is the fault-free life cycle of a sensor?  

How is the sensitivity affected by weather? What happens when they're covered in snow or ice?  Would an earthquake in San Francisco send every car off the road?  

How will the self driving car recognize a human directing traffic?  Will it stop for a child running into the street?

You realize that multiple technologies and various forms of information are combined to achieve the task, right? Do you realize sensors are already placed in many roads for traffic coordination? How about solar powered lights embedded in pavement as directional markers? Cars are already gps enabled. Wifi enabled. Have automatic break features. Automatic parking, etc. You have a lot of concerns but none that haven’t been addressed with existing technology. None mentioned are impossible hurdles. Universities and States are working through smart infrastructure.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news...k-for.html

I'm familiar with the technical aspect, but I note that you haven't answered any of the questions posed, beyond stating that the necessary technology currently exists.  Are you forgetting that it was a failure in that very technology that lead to this discussion/debate?  

My point, which you appear to be ignoring, is that the precision required for "traffic coordination" is not remotely adequate for total vehicle control, especially under less than optimal conditions.  Are you ready to trust your life to a solar powered sensor that a ten ton snowplow just scraped over?  GPS is great, but try taking the number off your mailbox and waiting for a pizza.

The SunTrax facility will be a great testing ground and I'm looking forward to seeing the results generated.  With positive results, the next step would be similar testing in winter conditions.  Until then, we're (literally and figuratively) a million miles away.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I wonder are the cars completely independent or is the ambilical cord wireless thus a bind spot in service results in downloading as if going at 70mph waiting for the information to make a move
Lol
“You may never know what results come of your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results.”
“If you find a way to motivate an idiot you have a motivated idiot”

(04-03-2018, 08:16 AM)13Coronas Wrote: I wonder are the cars completely independent or is the ambilical cord wireless  thus a bind spot in service results in downloading as if going at 70mph waiting for the information to make a move
Lol

One deer to another as the car goes over the cliff, "Hey, did you hear the joke about the driverless car caught in a blind spot?"
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(04-03-2018, 07:43 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(04-02-2018, 11:38 PM)B2hibry Wrote: You realize that multiple technologies and various forms of information are combined to achieve the task, right? Do you realize sensors are already placed in many roads for traffic coordination? How about solar powered lights embedded in pavement as directional markers? Cars are already gps enabled. Wifi enabled. Have automatic break features. Automatic parking, etc. You have a lot of concerns but none that haven’t been addressed with existing technology. None mentioned are impossible hurdles. Universities and States are working through smart infrastructure.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news...k-for.html

I'm familiar with the technical aspect, but I note that you haven't answered any of the questions posed, beyond stating that the necessary technology currently exists.  Are you forgetting that it was a failure in that very technology that lead to this discussion/debate?  

My point, which you appear to be ignoring, is that the precision required for "traffic coordination" is not remotely adequate for total vehicle control, especially under less than optimal conditions.  Are you ready to trust your life to a solar powered sensor that a ten ton snowplow just scraped over?  GPS is great, but try taking the number off your mailbox and waiting for a pizza.

The SunTrax facility will be a great testing ground and I'm looking forward to seeing the results generated.  With positive results, the next step would be similar testing in winter conditions.  Until then, we're (literally and figuratively) a million miles away.
I get it, you’re concerned. I didn’t touch on each of your specific concerns because the information is literally at your fingertips. If you just read a tiny bit of what has already been published for years, you see we are right around the corner from reality, not millions of miles. Your snowplow concern has been tested in California and Minnesota. And GPS is somehow good enough for flight and military targeting but useless on a vehicle (Hint: It’s called GPS trilateralation)?

As far as the incident that started this discussion...it involved a private org attempting full autonomy, disregarding assistance from infrastructure. Basically cheaping out and disregarding federal involvement to form and function, ignoring technological progression. Like go from a little red wagon to a unicycle ignoring the inbetween. In any case, FIRSTs have issues and failures. Life as we know it would be pretty plain if hands were thrown up at the first failure!
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(04-02-2018, 10:03 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-02-2018, 08:23 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: No thanks.

The only way that would truly work would be if the government imposed a law mandating that every citizen purchase a self-driving car. And that gets you civil unrest if not outright rebellion.

I'm 33 and there's no way in hell I want a self-driving car. And I hate driving.

Hi, I'm Flo from Progressive.

I'm sorry to inform you that persons who continue to manually operate a motor vehicle will now be required to pay an additional premium to cover the expenses associated with human error in the unsafe operation of motor vehicles. Your new policy rate is $16,875 for 6 months. Your rate will be reduced by $16,575 if you choose to insure a vehicle equipped with automated steering control technology before the expiration date of your policy.

Progressive, protecting you from your own stubbornness since, well, pretty much forever.

Pfff, if I actually paid for insurance I'd worry.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-03-2018, 08:46 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(04-03-2018, 08:16 AM)13Coronas Wrote: I wonder are the cars completely independent or is the ambilical cord wireless  thus a bind spot in service results in downloading as if going at 70mph waiting for the information to make a move
Lol

One deer to another as the car goes over the cliff, "Hey, did you hear the joke about the driverless car caught in a blind spot?"

Uh huh, because human operated cars never ever have trouble with wildlife...

(04-03-2018, 12:15 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(04-02-2018, 10:03 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Hi, I'm Flo from Progressive.

I'm sorry to inform you that persons who continue to manually operate a motor vehicle will now be required to pay an additional premium to cover the expenses associated with human error in the unsafe operation of motor vehicles. Your new policy rate is $16,875 for 6 months. Your rate will be reduced by $16,575 if you choose to insure a vehicle equipped with automated steering control technology before the expiration date of your policy.

Progressive, protecting you from your own stubbornness since, well, pretty much forever.

Pfff, if I actually paid for insurance I'd worry.

So unsurprised...  Rolleyes
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato