Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Per NFL Network: (Jags prospect visits)

(04-12-2018, 04:47 PM)pirkster Wrote:
(04-10-2018, 05:01 PM)JackCity Wrote: It's more so that the skillset and position of sam is becoming redundant in the modern game. Most of the time you only have 2 LBs on the field and they generally go to your best coverage players.  

True 2 down LBs are one of the least valuable positions now. Makes more sense to ensure you have 3 startable LBs who can run + cover even if they aren't the classic Sam size or skillset. If you can find one with all of those traits then great but it's not expected.

It's really a shame what college is doing to the NFL game.  They aren't producing the players the NFL prefers.

NFL is forced to change in response.  It's making players more difficult to evaluate, and also causing them to do remedial coaching and changing their schemes and playbooks to better suit what's coming out.

Sams just fall later in the draft as a result.  Fewer to choose from, lower versatility, lower priority, lower draft cost.

College turned football into a track meet, and that's forced the NFL being to reflect that as well.  They're forced to change to best use what's available.  College is producing less than ideal talent, generally speaking.  They line up the athletes and outscore the opponent.  It's one of the reasons it's felt that OL talent is dropping and many are struggling in the NFL.

Savvy coaches and GMs can use this to their advantage when rebuilding a team.  It's what brought about the popularity of the 3-4.  Instead of having distinct role players sam, will, and mike... you can place less than ideal players into productive roles.  Same for DL.  You only need an NT instead of two DTs.  Your ends can be cast off LEs and/or undersized DTs that aren't valued by 4-3 teams.  Your ILBs can be made of MLBs that don't have sideline to sideline talent.  Your OLBs can be tweeners that find it hard to be productive with their hand down in a 4-3.  You can build it quickly on a relative bargain.

That's not to say you can't put prototypical talent in those positions... you certainly can.  It's just more helpful to a 4-3 to have closer to the prototype than not.  With 3-4, you can get by a lot easier without prototypes with your front seven.

The college game innovates , the NFL replicates. 

At least on offense that is. Every NFL team uses spread elements on offense now where as the college game have been doing it for ages. Andy Reid for instance re-tooled his offense this year and took a ton of what Urban Meyer has been doing for the last 10 years. The Eagles had a very college like offense this year too.   

Agree on offensive linemen. They have the terrible misfortune of having to deal with all of these freak athletes becoming defensive linemen AND deal with a widespread lack of good coaching from college to the NFL. It's interesting to me that good offensive line coaches aren't treated like "QB gurus" are. If I was a new HC my first job would be to find the best offensive line coach I possibly can and offer him a boatload of cash.  

It seems now that the 4-3 defense we use is in vogue around the league now because of how easy it is to implement (and the Seahawks success). It's interesting because it seems to have any success with it at all you need multiple pro bowl caliber players at every level to make it effective. Any thoughts on that ?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-13-2018, 10:41 AM)JackCity Wrote: ...  

It seems now that the 4-3 defense we use is in vogue around the league now because of how easy it is to implement (and the Seahawks success). It's interesting because it seems to have any success with it at all you need multiple pro bowl caliber players at every level to make it effective. Any thoughts on that ?

To me, what team doesn't need top tier talent all over the place? With coverage responsibilities now moving forward to the Defensive Primary in terms of LBs, you need top tier players in coverage. And since the LBs are needed more for coverage than they are for blitzing, that means that the Defensive Line needs to be able to pressure on their own more times than not. 

I attended a coaching clinic a few weeks back and you know what the number one thing that the Offensive coaches are trying to find on the Defense? The Nickel SAM. Who is the guy that is there in coverage that replaced the guy that was there for run support? Because if it's a coverage guy, we are going to run at him. If he's a run-support guy, we're gonna make him run backwards.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

What we're seeing is copycat league.

Pro Bowls follow success of the team as much as individual achievement. I found it interesting to follow the Pro Bowl selections of the Patriots OL as they were up/down. Years they won or went to Super Bowls, they'd also get selected to Pro Bowls. In off years, many of the same players would not.

So, I don't necessarily think it takes Pro Bowl players to run the 4-3 version we do. I think it's the by-product of success and a successful unit. Where I do think the difference is, deals with the roles and responsibilities. IMO it takes an even more precise skillset/player profile to fill those roles.

I can see where some would argue chicken/egg on that. I think you put the right people in the right situation you're going to produce a Pro Bowler. But again, that mostly follows unit/team success... if wins are scarce and the unit isn't top producing it's hard for an individual to stand out vs peers who are on successful units/teams. It still happens, it's just more difficult to get recognized.

There are guys who can produce no matter the situation or scheme. Campbell is a rare beast that can fit either front just as well. There are other guys who, due to their particular talents and/or limitations, may need the right fit to make the difference between really good and garbage. Linemen and backs in blocking schemes, secondary and linebackers in cover2/man, qbs and wrs executing what the playbook demands. We see in free agency all the time where a good fit gets paid then crashes and burns when put into a different situation that isn't quite the right fit. I think we suffered from a lot of that in the down years, trying to force fit guys into filling holes and not getting adequate production.

One of the fatal flaws in leadership is hubris. Yes, to be a leader you must be confident - otherwise you will not inspire others to follow. But with coaches, sometimes they get the attitude "he just hasn't been coached by me" or "we can make it work." That's backwards reasoning... you can only make those situations work because of the material you start with, that the guy is willing and able to be molded as you intend - the ability to execute what's asked at a high level. It's not your coaching "magic" that made it happen, it's that you had a clear plan and chose a good fit for that plan. I think that's where folks screw up the most and I think that's what Bradley's ultimate downfall was. Del Rio, too. "DO YOUR JOB!" Well, you're the coach. You should know that things worked out exactly as it was sloppily put together.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(This post was last modified: 04-13-2018, 02:22 PM by knarnn.)

https://twitter.com/mike_e_kaye/status/9...98660?s=19

https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2018/04...ssion=true

A potential two way/special teams player
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(04-13-2018, 02:18 PM)knarnn Wrote: https://twitter.com/mike_e_kaye/status/9...98660?s=19

I see him as another Niles Paul. I just don't see him as a significant contributor on offense.

(04-13-2018, 06:30 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-13-2018, 02:18 PM)knarnn Wrote: https://twitter.com/mike_e_kaye/status/9...98660?s=19

I see him as another Niles Paul. I just don't see him as a significant contributor on offense.

Im ok with that. Especially if he can contribute on special teams. He's a under-utilized, undeveloped player. If he turns into something, great, because the potential is there. If not, no harm no foul. 

What do you think about the other guy in the second link?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(04-14-2018, 09:19 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(04-13-2018, 06:30 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I see him as another Niles Paul. I just don't see him as a significant contributor on offense.

Im ok with that. Especially if he can contribute on special teams. He's a under-utilized, undeveloped player. If he turns into something, great, because the potential is there. If not, no harm no foul. 

What do you think about the other guy in the second link?

Honestly, I have no opinion, because I've never heard of the guy.

(This post was last modified: 04-15-2018, 06:26 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Auburn OLB Jeff Holland will visit the Jags this week

(04-15-2018, 06:25 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Auburn OLB Jeff Holland will visit the Jags this week

I'm a fan

Oh wow Ermon Lane.......ouch, he struggled as a WR for FSU and is Dalvin Cooks best friend. He first moved to Saftey from WR and then Corner........he's not good at all

(04-15-2018, 06:25 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Auburn OLB Jeff Holland will visit the Jags this week

Love the player, but isn't he more of a 3-4 OLB?

(04-15-2018, 08:13 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Love the player, but isn't he more of a 3-4 OLB?

He's a hometown Jax kid.  Not much of a stretch to play a rotational/back-up edge roll for the Jags + ST. 
Doubt he lasts till the sixth - and I don't think they spend their fourth on him.

Add Ian Thomas to the visits list

(04-16-2018, 01:13 PM)knarnn Wrote: Add Ian Thomas to the visits list

I'd definitely gamble on him in the 3rd round.  He can block well, so he'll have a role early on and has the athleticism to develop into a pass catcher.

(04-13-2018, 10:41 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 04:47 PM)pirkster Wrote: It's really a shame what college is doing to the NFL game.  They aren't producing the players the NFL prefers.

NFL is forced to change in response.  It's making players more difficult to evaluate, and also causing them to do remedial coaching and changing their schemes and playbooks to better suit what's coming out.

Sams just fall later in the draft as a result.  Fewer to choose from, lower versatility, lower priority, lower draft cost.

College turned football into a track meet, and that's forced the NFL being to reflect that as well.  They're forced to change to best use what's available.  College is producing less than ideal talent, generally speaking.  They line up the athletes and outscore the opponent.  It's one of the reasons it's felt that OL talent is dropping and many are struggling in the NFL.

Savvy coaches and GMs can use this to their advantage when rebuilding a team.  It's what brought about the popularity of the 3-4.  Instead of having distinct role players sam, will, and mike... you can place less than ideal players into productive roles.  Same for DL.  You only need an NT instead of two DTs.  Your ends can be cast off LEs and/or undersized DTs that aren't valued by 4-3 teams.  Your ILBs can be made of MLBs that don't have sideline to sideline talent.  Your OLBs can be tweeners that find it hard to be productive with their hand down in a 4-3.  You can build it quickly on a relative bargain.

That's not to say you can't put prototypical talent in those positions... you certainly can.  It's just more helpful to a 4-3 to have closer to the prototype than not.  With 3-4, you can get by a lot easier without prototypes with your front seven.

The college game innovates , the NFL replicates. 

At least on offense that is. Every NFL team uses spread elements on offense now where as the college game have been doing it for ages. Andy Reid for instance re-tooled his offense this year and took a ton of what Urban Meyer has been doing for the last 10 years. The Eagles had a very college like offense this year too.   

Agree on offensive linemen. They have the terrible misfortune of having to deal with all of these freak athletes becoming defensive linemen AND deal with a widespread lack of good coaching from college to the NFL. It's interesting to me that good offensive line coaches aren't treated like "QB gurus" are. If I was a new HC my first job would be to find the best offensive line coach I possibly can and offer him a boatload of cash.  

The spread became a thing when every high school coach adopted the offense bc you can take all the decision making out of the players. Offensive IQ is becoming non existent.  The NFL is being forced to adapt to the talent the college game has to offer. QBs and WRs have been asked to do less and less over the years which has made their transitions more difficult than the others.

It rather have Shultz than Thomas but I'd be fine with either

(04-16-2018, 01:45 PM)Markulous Wrote:
(04-16-2018, 01:13 PM)knarnn Wrote: Add Ian Thomas to the visits list

I'd definitely gamble on him in the 3rd round.  He can block well, so he'll have a role early on and has the athleticism to develop into a pass catcher.

I like him. He has flashed some big play ability.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AnotherJagsPod

I just leave this here if anyone wants to check it out. They have been posting quick videos of all the players that have visited with the Jags. Pretty cool stuff.

(04-23-2018, 01:52 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: https://mobile.twitter.com/AnotherJagsPod

I just leave this here if anyone wants to check it out. They have been posting quick videos of all the players that have visited with the Jags. Pretty cool stuff.

Thanks for this!
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

We got some late homework being done.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh7Yrd6nFW-/