Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Alliance of American Football.......?

Information 

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201...st-new-fo/

New league to begin play after Super Bowl next year. 

Created by Charlie Ebersol, son of Dick Ebersol (NBC Sunday Night Football creator.)

Direct competition with XFL. 

Troy Polumalu to represent players.

Steve Spurrier to coach Orlando team.

Hines Ward and other former NFL players to have significant roles.
Signature goes here.

(04-08-2018, 09:43 AM)TheBigDawg Wrote: https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201...st-new-fo/

Created by Charlie Ebersol, son of Dick Ebersol (NBC Sunday Night Football creator.)

Obviously creates in response to the xfl announcement. Both sound promising but this one seems like it could wind up being rushed.

Either way I'm not disappointed in more football.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

(04-08-2018, 11:19 AM)Achilles Wrote:
(04-08-2018, 09:43 AM)TheBigDawg Wrote: https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201...st-new-fo/

Obviously creates in response to the xfl announcement. Both sound promising but this one seems like it could wind up being rushed.

Yeah. Kinda worried about the rushed feel this one already has. Still have seven more teams to announce, organize, find play sites...etc and have only about 9 months till kickoff.
Signature goes here.

I have a hard time seeing how they're going to produce a quality product (both this and XFL, since they are in competition.)

You're talking bottom of the barrel, broken, and/or put out to pasture players.

Maybe they'll pull college dropouts or kids that bypass college all together? I'm not aware of either league's rules/stance on that subject.

I just don't see it being anything of quality unless they go that developmental league type route. Could practice squad players get poached? Again, I'm not familiar with NFL rules for any legal/contractual rights they would have to a practice squad player.

I think both leagues work best if they are more developmental leagues to feed the NFL. Otherwise, I think both will find it difficult to produce a product good enough to carry interest for more than a year or two.

Also, both will have to run on shoestring budgets to break even, like arena ball. Especially if they're hiring some of these ex-players and retired coaches... I doubt they'll be wanting to do this with their time for charity.
"You're betraying your whole life if you don't say what you think, and you don't say it honestly and bluntly." — Charles Krauthammer

I actually believe this has a chance to be semi-successful. This has actually been in the works for many years now and they are using actual former NFL people to get this thing off the ground. By starting the day after the Superbowl, they actually have a chance to get some decent competition. By no means will it be NFL level, but I do believe it will be better than the CFL or the Arena League. I have much higher hopes for this league than I do the XFL. The AAF already has announced a franchise in Orlando to be coached by Steve Spurrier and more teams are to come. Personally, I'm kind of excited. Football 365 days a year would be fine by me.

(04-09-2018, 02:37 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I actually believe this has a chance to be semi-successful. This has actually been in the works for many years now and they are using actual former NFL people to get this thing off the ground. By starting the day after the Superbowl, they actually have a chance to get some decent competition. By no means will it be NFL level, but I do believe it will be better than the CFL or the Arena League. I have much higher hopes for this league than I do the XFL. The AAF already has announced a franchise in Orlando to be coached by Steve Spurrier and more teams are to come. Personally, I'm kind of excited. Football 365 days a year would be fine by me.

Being "in the works for many years now" is what fuels my doubt.

Just a few years ago, the most recent attempt fell on it's face before it even got out of the gate.

Not sure what's changed so much.  Generally speaking, attendance and viewing has actually decreased on average across the league.  We're one of only a handful of markets that actually saw positive numbers year on year this season.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it work.  I just don't yet see how that realistically happens.  They can't keep trotting out the same old ideas (and I'm not just talking changing kickoffs, penalties, or elements of the game itself... I'm talking fundamental changes in how it's organized and sold to the public, and what purpose it serves for the players, coaches, and administrators.)
"You're betraying your whole life if you don't say what you think, and you don't say it honestly and bluntly." — Charles Krauthammer

(04-08-2018, 11:19 AM)Achilles Wrote:

It's only rushed if you believe they just came up with the idea in response to the XFL.  It sounds like there's going to be a considerable amount of support coming indirectly from the league itself.  

They've got something the XFL doesn't already have; a TV contract with CBS.  They also have some serious money backing the league.

I really think this is being ramped up as a developmental league for the NFL.  You'll see some recognizable names out there of guys looking to either resurrect their careers, or to develop one.  This should be an interesting one to watch.  It might give the NFL a minor league, and a sandbox where they can try out some different things with the rules to see if they would play well at the next level.  I'm actually looking forward to this, and might take a ride down to Orlando for a game or two.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(04-10-2018, 06:59 PM)FBT Wrote:
(04-08-2018, 11:19 AM)Achilles Wrote: Obviously creates in response to the xfl announcement. Both sound promising but this one seems like it could wind up being rushed.

It's only rushed if you believe they just came up with the idea in response to the XFL.  It sounds like there's going to be a considerable amount of support coming indirectly from the league itself.  

They've got something the XFL doesn't already have; a TV contract with CBS.  They also have some serious money backing the league.

I really think this is being ramped up as a developmental league for the NFL.  You'll see some recognizable names out there of guys looking to either resurrect their careers, or to develop one.  This should be an interesting one to watch.  It might give the NFL a minor league, and a sandbox where they can try out some different things with the rules to see if they would play well at the next level.  I'm actually looking forward to this, and might take a ride down to Orlando for a game or two.

I am too, but I firmly believe the idea is being rushed because of the XFL. I'm looking forward to both leagues, as I think what you said about being a developmental league actually might apply to both of them. 

I think it's something that the league could really use. I just don't want to see them flop or put out a terrible product.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

We've waited 5 months to get a hit on this Forum.

... it's finally paying off.
[Image: 002119.jpg]