Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: What position should the Jags target
Tight End
Guard
QB
CB
Linebacker
BAP
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
What position should the Jags target

(04-11-2018, 06:35 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(04-11-2018, 02:20 PM)Markulous Wrote: Eh, I don't know about that.  Sutton has seemed really slow on tape, I wouldn't want to take him in the first round.  I don't think bringing him in in 3WR sets, having Cole/Westbrook on the bench a lot, makes our team better than a beast like Hernandez.  We would have one of (if not the best) interior O-line in the NFL.  Fournette is going to go to town with that.

Any big WR might look slow against fast DBs, but for a guy he's size he ran a great time. He's not slow at all, and he knows how to use his size to his advantage. I see him plugging right into that split-end spot after initially backing up Moncrief to learn the ropes.

It'll just really depend who is there, but I don't know that I see a first round guy out of him. I'd rather have Goedert at that point.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-11-2018, 01:04 PM)Upper Wrote: The closer we get the less enamored I am with oline at 29 (even though I do think that will be the pick).

I think the oline will be quite good as is, and already very expensive, with Cann or fill in the blank at RG. I don't think upgrading 1/5 of an already very good oline will have as big of an impact as a potential best player in the position group at WR/TE/QB could help those average units.

Not trying to be critical but how will a QB help an average unit? Bortles is our QB and its kinda a one man job. There are 4 QB's worthy of a 1st round pick, 3 of them could start year one, and all 4 will be gone in the top 10.

(04-11-2018, 11:33 PM)brianmsbc Wrote:
(04-11-2018, 01:04 PM)Upper Wrote: The closer we get the less enamored I am with oline at 29 (even though I do think that will be the pick).

I think the oline will be quite good as is, and already very expensive, with Cann or fill in the blank at RG. I don't think upgrading 1/5 of an already very good oline will have as big of an impact as a potential best player in the position group at WR/TE/QB could help those average units.

Not trying to be critical but how will a QB help an average unit? Bortles is our QB and its kinda a one man job. There are 4 QB's worthy of a 1st round pick, 3 of them could start year one, and all 4 will be gone in the top 10.

I agree about the 4 QB's worthy of a first round pick. Mayfield, Rosen, Rudolph and Darnold. Rudolph could be there when we pick. It's not impossible. Unlikely, but not impossible.

(04-11-2018, 06:26 PM)Upper Wrote:
(04-11-2018, 02:44 PM)JackCity Wrote: We live and die by the Oline.

Yeah that's what I"d like to avoid.

Picking a receiver or a tight end isn't going to change that unfortunately. 

Have a good Oline LT to RT and every other part of our game will benefit.

(04-11-2018, 11:33 PM)brianmsbc Wrote:

Obviously me saying that is dependent on the FO deeming a WR/TE/QB first round worthy also when they are on the clock. I think Goedert/Gesecki, Sutton/Moore, and Jackson/Rudolph all have that potential where a Hernandez/Price/Williams/etc won't be rated a full tier above.

I wanted to vote Twice but the application won’t let me
So I will write in Guard and mail my second vote in
“You may never know what results come of your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results.”
“If you find a way to motivate an idiot you have a motivated idiot”

(This post was last modified: 04-12-2018, 11:28 AM by 13Coronas.)

I atemped to vote a second time for Guard however the application say I already voted
I will vote a second time and mail it in

That way Guard is sure to win
“You may never know what results come of your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results.”
“If you find a way to motivate an idiot you have a motivated idiot”

(04-11-2018, 01:40 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(04-11-2018, 01:34 PM)Markulous Wrote: The issue here is the talent pool of the draft.  At #29, O-line talent>WR/TE talent.  If talent wasn't an issue and we could have a stud WR1 or stud TE, then yeah absolutely I would rather have that than a RG, but that's not the case.

You're banking on Wynn, C. Williams or Hernandez being there at #29 to say the talent is superior to the top TEs. Meanwhile, it's starting to look more and more like Courtland Sutton might actually be there, and I'd take him flat out over any other prospect who might be there including the OLs and TEs. That said, I can see a few ideal OLs sitting there at the end of round two, so if Sutton is not there at #29, I'm taking a TE. I'd order them Goedert, Gesicki, Hurst, but I'd be happy with any of them.
Jags02, I'm with you on this.  The Jags need someone with size at receiver whether it be a WR or a TE.  Both Sutton and Goedert can out muscle and win the 50/50 balls.  From what I've seen they are also willing blockers.  I know Gesicki's combine was off the charts, but when I see film of him he seems really awkward.  Hurst would be interesting since he was used a lot in the backfield.  But, I wouldn't take either of those two in the first.  Ian Thomas, Mark Andrews intrigue me in the 2nd. Troy Fumagalli and Dalton Schultz in the 3rd are also a possibility.  After picking up Norwell in FA, I think taking OL in the first or 2nd is a bit of overkill this year.  Though I do subscribe to the theory that you win in the trenches.

I chose TE because I feel one of the guards prospects people are enamored with will fall to our second round pick. The ones with Tackle ability will be gone, but I think a solid pure guard prospect will be there. For example last year the second Guard prospect (3rd interior OL) was taken at pick 63.

I think the top 4 TE options will all be off the board by our second round pick. For reference last year 5 TEs went in the first 45 picks.

I would really like to come out of this draft with Goedert or Gesicki as a legit receiving TE option. OL would be my second choice, preferably someone with the ability to play RT or RG.

(04-17-2018, 10:27 AM)rufftime Wrote: I chose TE because I feel one of the guards prospects people are enamored with will fall to our second round pick.  The ones with Tackle ability will be gone, but I think a solid pure guard prospect will be there.  For example last year the second Guard prospect (3rd interior OL) was taken at pick 63.  

I think the top 4 TE options will all be off the board by our second round pick.  For reference last year 5 TEs went in the first 45 picks.

I would really like to come out of this draft with Goedert or Gesicki as a legit receiving TE option.  OL would be my second choice, preferably someone with the ability to play RT or RG.

Rufftime, I understand your logic, but it is clearly Fantasy Football based.  Just because 5 TEs went in the first 45 picks last year doesn't mean the same number of TEs will be gone by the 45th pick this year.  And based upon last year's TE talent of OJ Howard, Evan Engram and David Njoku all going in the first round I venture to say 5 TEs won't be gone by the 45th pick.  Based upon your logic, the third best QB would be available to us at 29 since only 2 QBs were drafted in the 1st last year. I'm sure you would be happy if Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen or Baker Mayfield fell into our laps at 29, correct? 

But, with that said, I don't think all is lost if one of the top 4 TEs is gone by pick 61.  It seems that there is considerable depth in this year's TE class.  I have seen film of Dalton Schultz, Troy Fumagalli, Durham Smythe and Chris Herndon.  They may not have the best stats comparable to the Top 4, but they are all well rounded and perhaps more in keeping with what our needs are.  Gesecki, in my opinion, is not a Coughlin guy and wouldn't fit on a run oriented team.  I wouldn't be surprised if he fell to our pick at 61. But, I still wouldn't take him.  I view him as an athlete, not a football player.

As far as Goedert, I would have no problem using our 29th pick on him.  He has all the tools as far as I've seen and has shown he can block, make the tough catches and the ability to run after the catch.

I think they go into it aiming to pick either OLine or TE and just select the highest ranked player on their board when they reach 29.

And then repeat in round 2.

After that, you fill other holes.

The more I think about it the more I’m in for Goedert/Ragnow 1st rd/2nd rd.

Hernandez/Andrews or Gesicki would be 2nd preference

(04-18-2018, 04:16 PM)JNev Wrote: The more I think about it the more I’m in for Goedert/Ragnow 1st rd/2nd rd.

Problem with scenario 1 is I don't see Ragnow lasting that long.  Second scenario seems much more plausible, but I'm doubting that Hernandez will be there either.

What are the chances of Hernandez being there at 29?
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(04-20-2018, 12:11 AM)Ronster Wrote: What are the chances of Hernandez being there at 29?

If he makes it passed Carolina, I think they are pretty high. I think he's destined to be a Panther though.

(04-18-2018, 04:16 PM)JNev Wrote: The more I think about it the more I’m in for Goedert/Ragnow 1st rd/2nd rd.

In my book, Goedert/Ragnow is miles better than Hernandez/Andrews.
'02

(04-20-2018, 12:11 AM)Ronster Wrote: What are the chances of Hernandez being there at 29?

I think they're pretty good, especially if Wynn and Daniels are drafted ahead of him. Personally I'd take Wynn or Conner Williams ahead of him as far as OLs... I'd also take Sutton, Goedert, Lamar Jackson or Vander Esch over him. After them, Hernandez vs Gesicki vs Rudolph makes for a good debate in my mind.
'02

(04-20-2018, 02:01 AM)Jags02 Wrote:

In my book, Goedert/Ragnow is miles better than Hernandez/Andrews.

I'd put money on Ragnow not being there in the 2nd round for our pick.

(04-20-2018, 09:20 AM)Markulous Wrote:
(04-20-2018, 02:01 AM)Jags02 Wrote: In my book, Goedert/Ragnow is miles better than Hernandez/Andrews.

I'd put money on Ragnow not being there in the 2nd round for our pick.

...there are plenty more 2nd round options like Braden Smith, Austin Corbett, Jarmarco Jones and Martinas Rankin,
'02

(04-20-2018, 10:13 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(04-20-2018, 09:20 AM)Markulous Wrote: I'd put money on Ragnow not being there in the 2nd round for our pick.

...there are plenty more 2nd round options like Braden Smith, Austin Corbett, Jarmarco Jones and Martinas Rankin,

So you like one of those guys with Goedert over Hernandez and Andrews still?  Not bashing you or anything, just curious what you think.