Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Draft rumors

(This post was last modified: 04-12-2018, 11:58 PM by JackCity.)

(04-12-2018, 04:19 PM)Achilles Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 02:56 PM)JackCity Wrote: Josh Allen was always expected to visit with the Browns. That isn't new info. The Josh Allen #1 noise started out of the blue several days from several big media names at the same time. 

No you have that incorrect. I do believe there is interest in Josh Allen. Just not enough that they would seriously consider taking him #1. Darnold is a lock for that in my eyes.

And yes Allen is favourite in Vegas at the moment .Darnold had been close to a lock for the last few weeks. I'd like to see how that lines moves over the next 2 weeks, particularly in conjuncture with the media noise.

I mean when you use the words lock in terms of darnold, but then say it could happen, it's hard to figure out where your opinion really stands.

I'm pretty confident Josh Allen is going #1 overall.

I believe Darnold is highly likely to be drafted #1. He is the favourite to me. He is a "lock" to me.

Unfortunately none of us know how NFL teams think or draft so Josh Allen *could* go #1. I just don't think it's likely.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-12-2018, 09:17 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 09:00 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I just don't get the hype. I'd much rather have Rashaad Penny or even Sony Michel.

Their O-Line sucked last year and the only upgrade they made this year was at LT. I just don't see Barkley succeeding behind their current O-Line.

You have a weird way of evaluating prospects. Anybody that has seen saquon play will tell you he's a special player. Penny and Sony couldn't even hold his jockstrap.

I evaluate on how I see these guys as pros. I don't really consider 40 times or splits or verticals or any of that stuff. I look at what they did on the field only and how that would project to the NFL. What I see when I watched Barkley (I live in Ohio, so I get the BigTen Network and saw many Nittany Lions' games), is a big RB who is an excellent receiver. With that said, the problem I see is that he only had 20+ carries in only 3 games all season. He only had 100+ yards rushing in 5 games this season. He was used a lot around the goal line which helped him rack up so many touchdowns and pad his stats. As soon as he started receiving a ton of attention and it looked as though he was a runaway for the Heisman, his play really fell off and he was completely shut down as a runner by Ohio State, Indiana and Rutgers. Combining all of this, I see an excellent receiving option out of the backfield and really dependable player near the endzone, but not a guy I see as a featured back. I know most people disagree and that's fine. I know I'm in the vast minority, but It's how I see things and I have to call it like I see it. Maybe I'm wrong, but this is what my eyes tell me.

(04-13-2018, 02:02 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 09:17 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: You have a weird way of evaluating prospects. Anybody that has seen saquon play will tell you he's a special player. Penny and Sony couldn't even hold his jockstrap.

I evaluate on how I see these guys as pros. I don't really consider 40 times or splits or verticals or any of that stuff. I look at what they did on the field only and how that would project to the NFL. What I see when I watched Barkley (I live in Ohio, so I get the BigTen Network and saw many Nittany Lions' games), is a big RB who is an excellent receiver. With that said, the problem I see is that he only had 20+ carries in only 3 games all season. He only had 100+ yards rushing in 5 games this season. He was used a lot around the goal line which helped him rack up so many touchdowns and pad his stats. As soon as he started receiving a ton of attention and it looked as though he was a runaway for the Heisman, his play really fell off and he was completely shut down as a runner by Ohio State, Indiana and Rutgers. Combining all of this, I see an excellent receiving option out of the backfield and really dependable player near the endzone, but not a guy I see as a featured back. I know most people disagree and that's fine. I know I'm in the vast minority, but It's how I see things and I have to call it like I see it. Maybe I'm wrong, but this is what my eyes tell me.

You should get your eyes checked then. I'll bet money, barring injury, that saquon lights up the NFL.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

(04-13-2018, 06:57 AM)Achilles Wrote:
(04-13-2018, 02:02 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I evaluate on how I see these guys as pros. I don't really consider 40 times or splits or verticals or any of that stuff. I look at what they did on the field only and how that would project to the NFL. What I see when I watched Barkley (I live in Ohio, so I get the BigTen Network and saw many Nittany Lions' games), is a big RB who is an excellent receiver. With that said, the problem I see is that he only had 20+ carries in only 3 games all season. He only had 100+ yards rushing in 5 games this season. He was used a lot around the goal line which helped him rack up so many touchdowns and pad his stats. As soon as he started receiving a ton of attention and it looked as though he was a runaway for the Heisman, his play really fell off and he was completely shut down as a runner by Ohio State, Indiana and Rutgers. Combining all of this, I see an excellent receiving option out of the backfield and really dependable player near the endzone, but not a guy I see as a featured back. I know most people disagree and that's fine. I know I'm in the vast minority, but It's how I see things and I have to call it like I see it. Maybe I'm wrong, but this is what my eyes tell me.

You should get your eyes checked then. I'll bet money, barring injury, that saquon lights up the NFL.

I concur.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Barkley seems about as sure-fire as it gets to my eyes.

(04-13-2018, 06:57 AM)Achilles Wrote:
(04-13-2018, 02:02 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I evaluate on how I see these guys as pros. I don't really consider 40 times or splits or verticals or any of that stuff. I look at what they did on the field only and how that would project to the NFL. What I see when I watched Barkley (I live in Ohio, so I get the BigTen Network and saw many Nittany Lions' games), is a big RB who is an excellent receiver. With that said, the problem I see is that he only had 20+ carries in only 3 games all season. He only had 100+ yards rushing in 5 games this season. He was used a lot around the goal line which helped him rack up so many touchdowns and pad his stats. As soon as he started receiving a ton of attention and it looked as though he was a runaway for the Heisman, his play really fell off and he was completely shut down as a runner by Ohio State, Indiana and Rutgers. Combining all of this, I see an excellent receiving option out of the backfield and really dependable player near the endzone, but not a guy I see as a featured back. I know most people disagree and that's fine. I know I'm in the vast minority, but It's how I see things and I have to call it like I see it. Maybe I'm wrong, but this is what my eyes tell me.

We'll see.....

(04-12-2018, 09:17 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: You have a weird way of evaluating prospects. Anybody that has seen saquon play will tell you he's a special player. Penny and Sony couldn't even hold his jockstrap.

So it's his fault he only got 20+ carries in 3 games? Is he calling the plays? The dude averaged 5.9 yards a carry..... twice in his college career. All while being the focal point of the offense. He also had 54 catches in 2017. In the Rutgers game, PSU was playing without their starting left tackle.

This guy is one of the closest prospects to Marshall Faulk that I have seen in a long time. I think Faulk is the most underrated RB of all time and I think Barkley (if used correctly) will be down right nasty.

Who do you think Barkley compares to?

(04-13-2018, 09:25 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Who do you think Barkley compares to?

He's so much bigger than Faulk. I think he's a lot like David Johnson.

(04-13-2018, 09:25 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
So it's his fault he only got 20+ carries in 3 games? Is he calling the plays? The dude averaged 5.9 yards a carry..... twice in his college career. All while being the focal point of the offense. He also had 54 catches in 2017. In the Rutgers game, PSU was playing without their starting left tackle.

This guy is one of the closest prospects to Marshall Faulk that I have seen in a long time. I think Faulk is the most underrated RB of all time and I think Barkley (if used correctly) will be down right nasty.

Who do you think Barkley compares to?

To me? I'd honestly say he's a little more athletic Zeke.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

A 230 lb Brian Westbrook.

(04-13-2018, 09:53 AM)JackCity Wrote: A 230 lb Brian Westbrook.

Yeah  - that's a pretty close comparison.

Yeah that sounds about right

(04-13-2018, 09:58 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Yeah  - that's a pretty close comparison.

There aren't really any guys Barkley's size who plays as elusive or finesse as he does so have to comp smaller guys. 

Fred was big , athletic and elusive but he'd also have no problem running through you for a shortcut. That's not Barkley's style.

(This post was last modified: 04-13-2018, 10:16 AM by Cleatwood.)

So we got bigger Faulk. David Johnson. More athletic Zeke and a 230 pound Brian Westbrook.

I'd think that guy would be a really good football player.

(This post was last modified: 04-13-2018, 10:15 AM by Upper.)

(04-13-2018, 10:12 AM)JackCity Wrote: There aren't really any guys Barkley's size who plays as elusive or finesse as he does so have to comp smaller guys. 

That's why I said David Johnson. Big, 95th percentile freak athlete with incredible passing game skills and also the size to run between the tackles and be his own goal line back. Rare breed.

(04-13-2018, 10:14 AM)Upper Wrote:
(04-13-2018, 10:12 AM)JackCity Wrote: There aren't really any guys Barkley's size who plays as elusive or finesse as he does so have to comp smaller guys. 

That's why I said David Johnson. Big, 95th percentile freak athlete with incredible passing game skills and also the size to run between the tackles and be his own goal line back. Rare breed.

Yeah that's probably the closest to him.

Only difference is Barkley isn't good running inside but from what I remember Johnson struggled with that early on too. Once he got the hang of it he dominated. 

The look on DCs faces when Barkley gets matched up with LBs in the passing game wheew.

Cherry picking those three games make me think you're looking at a game log of stats and didn't really watch him. If you watched any of his games you'd know instantly that he is special. His Barry Sanders like agility and ability to make yards o  his own without any help is the best I've ever seen.

(04-13-2018, 12:57 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:
(04-13-2018, 02:02 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: ... Combining all of this, I see an excellent receiving option out of the backfield and really dependable player near the endzone, but not a guy I see as a featured back. I know most people disagree and that's fine. I know I'm in the vast minority, but It's how I see things and I have to call it like I see it. Maybe I'm wrong, but this is what my eyes tell me.

Cherry picking those three games make me think you're looking at a game log of stats and didn't really watch him. If you watched any of his games you'd know instantly that he is special. His Barry Sanders like agility and ability to make yards o  his own without any help is the best I've ever seen.

[Image: giphy.gif]

(04-13-2018, 12:57 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:

I saw more Penn State games last year then I cared to. Just because I have a differing opinion doesn't mean I didn't watch him. I tend not to buy into media hype regarding players and judge them by what I see, instead. Keep in mind that 3 of the 50 biggest draft busts in NFL history have been Penn State RB's (Ki-Jana Carter, Blair Thomas and Curtis Enis.)

(04-13-2018, 01:22 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-13-2018, 12:57 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Cherry picking those three games make me think you're looking at a game log of stats and didn't really watch him. If you watched any of his games you'd know instantly that he is special. His Barry Sanders like agility and ability to make yards o  his own without any help is the best I've ever seen.

I saw more Penn State games last year then I cared to. Just because I have a differing opinion doesn't mean I didn't watch him. I tend not to buy into media hype regarding players and judge them by what I see, instead. Keep in mind that 3 of the 50 biggest draft busts in NFL history have been Penn State RB's (Ki-Jana Carter, Blair Thomas and Curtis Enis.)

Those Penn State RBs being busts have zero impact on Barkley's NFL career tbf