Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Pittsburgh Roads

This is kind of crazy ....  unseasonably wet season resulted in the following ....  time to fix the much needed infrastructure

Route 30 - East Pittsburgh landslide (last week)

[Image: route-30-collapse1.jpg]

[Image: road-sink-hole-8.jpg]

Today's pic -- another road ~ 15 miles away.

[Image: Da6SrlyXcAAeWK4.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

That’s one big pot hole for yenz
“You may never know what results come of your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results.”
“If you find a way to motivate an idiot you have a motivated idiot”

No kidding. I don't think guard rails are the solution at this point. What a mess considering they thought the deterioration of numerous old bridges was the immediate priority !!

Maybe Chuck will give them some left over money from the tunnel he snuck into the 1.3T omnibus bill.

(This post was last modified: 04-17-2018, 11:15 AM by 13Coronas.)

I was in Pittsburgh in 85 and noticed that the infrastructure of Pittsburgh roads declining when I visited my mother in 2012 I noticed some bridges out of commission in a city that is known as the city of bridges not only does it make traffic a night mare it also detracts from the history of the city of bridges
Trump start the infrastructure repair and bring back Pittsburgh
Even as iam a converted steeler fan from as soon as we had a home team the Jags
It did feel good this year that we hammered the Steelers last year and owned them
My Family of Steelers fans did send there support to back the Jags against the cheaterlots and did feel we were cheated on in that conferance match up especially the ref celebrating with Tom
“You may never know what results come of your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results.”

Are self-driving cars programmed for "HOLY ____, THE ROAD'S GONE!!!!"
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(04-17-2018, 08:51 AM)Sneakers Wrote: Are self-driving cars programmed for "HOLY ____, THE ROAD'S GONE!!!!"

That may be true that the Uberless would run out of track at 65mph and slam on the brakes and slide in for an eagle

It's a common issue throughout the Appalachian areas. The topography plus the geology/soil make it difficult to make things too permanent, without overbuilding to begin with. That's not even counting the snow/ice/melting snow and salts/chemicals the roads get in the areas that get snow.

Probably just takes a different type of engineering approach (and hopefully not like the type of boneheaded approach used by FIU for their walkway.)
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Rt 28 above the Hulton bridge at Oakmont should never have beeen cut it keeps crumbling down

Damn, that was my ONLY way into work.

(This post was last modified: 04-19-2018, 08:31 AM by Dumptruck.)

(04-17-2018, 11:32 AM)pirkster Wrote: It's a common issue throughout the Appalachian areas.  The topography plus the geology/soil make it difficult to make things too permanent, without overbuilding to begin with.  That's not even counting the snow/ice/melting snow and salts/chemicals the roads get in the areas that get snow.

Probably just takes a different type of engineering approach (and hopefully not like the type of boneheaded approach used by FIU for their walkway.)

I am a GIS Analyst that works with WVDOT full time. This is the struggle every year. It also doesn't help that everyone settles in the valleys where the water ends up during heavy rain or melting snow. We have been fighting road washouts all spring.

Why would anyone live such a place when you could live here and just deal with sweltering heat, crackheads, homeless people, tourists, and the occasional hurricane?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato