Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Origin of 420

Happy 4/20, everyone.

There are many theories and myths about the origins of 420 as a code for marijuana use, turns out the genesis was California high school kids searching for a patch of marijuana plants.

To quote the legendary Paul Harvey, now you know the rest of the story.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I support decriminalized pot but I still don't think it's something to celebrate. The hype culture around pot baffles me it's a narcotic that does damage over time. We don't celebrate other narcotics why do we celebrate pot like it's something good?
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(04-20-2018, 12:47 PM)EricC85 Wrote: I support decriminalized pot but I still don't think it's something to celebrate. The hype culture around pot baffles me it's a narcotic that does damage over time. We don't celebrate other narcotics why do we celebrate pot like it's something good?

It's only considered a narcotic because the government deemed it so to demonize it.

"Hype culture"?

smh. It's benefits go waaaay beyond smoking it. Hemp can create 4x as much paper as trees. Hemp seeds provide more protein than meat, eggs, cheese, human or cows milk.

In case you're into being informed...
http://www.nemeton.com/static/nemeton/ax.../hemp.html

Many benefits of the plant beyond smoking it. And it certainly isn't "hype".

What damage does marijuana do over time? (outside of smoke inhalation)
You should celebrate marijuana because it literally could save civilization as we know it. Monetary benefits of legalization go beyond tax revenue, in that it would save billions in the policing efforts and allow agencies to concentrate on real harmful drugs (man made nonsense like cocaine and opiods). We could literally save the rain forests. We could become a healthier America.

(This post was last modified: 04-20-2018, 01:42 PM by Jagwired.)

Narcotic? Buuuuwwwwaaaa!!!!!!
Anyone, and I mean anyone with the capacity to read and comprehend would not use the word narcotic and weed in the same sentence.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(This post was last modified: 04-20-2018, 01:48 PM by HandsomeRob86.)

(04-20-2018, 01:02 PM)Kane Wrote:
(04-20-2018, 12:47 PM)EricC85 Wrote: I support decriminalized pot but I still don't think it's something to celebrate. The hype culture around pot baffles me it's a narcotic that does damage over time. We don't celebrate other narcotics why do we celebrate pot like it's something good?

It's only considered a narcotic because the government deemed it so to demonize it.

"Hype culture"?

smh. It's benefits go waaaay beyond smoking it. Hemp can create 4x as much paper as trees. Hemp seeds provide more protein than meat, eggs, cheese, human or cows milk.

You should celebrate marijuana because it literally could save civilization as we know it. Monetary benefits of legalization go beyond tax revenue, in that it would save billions in the policing efforts and allow agencies to concentrate on real harmful drugs (man made nonsense like cocaine and opiods). We could literally save the rain forests. We could become a healthier America.
Hemp is awesome, but it is not pot, and associating it with pot was a great achievement of the Standard oil spinoffs back in the 30's. You would have to smoke a telephone pole of hemp to get high. It barely has any THC and not in significant concentration.

And Marijuana, on the other hand, is not all good. It has some very bad associations with it, like long term mental decline, hugely increased risk of psychiatric illness (whether its 'unmasking' or causing is not my concern, either one is bad).

So yeah, I would agree that it gets alot of hype.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(This post was last modified: 04-20-2018, 02:31 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(04-20-2018, 01:31 PM)Jagwired Wrote: Narcotic? Buuuuwwwwaaaa!!!!!!
Anyone, and I mean anyone with the capacity to read and comprehend would not use the word narcotic and weed in the same sentence.

It's an herb.

[Image: 8a8e41c22631141a74a00a5c09179354.jpg]

Cannabis is not a narcotic, and it has less harmful effects than alcohol, which has a hype culture to which the marijuana culture pales in comparison.

We have an on-going thread here about booze. Many people, myself included, openly discuss our favorite liquors, wines and beers, a popular topic familiar to us all. Do you really think marijuana is more harmful than alcohol?
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

All I know is it helps me with chronic pain, I take 2-3 hits and I'm good for up to 4 hours
(I don't smoke everyday just when the pain gets to an intense level)
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

(This post was last modified: 04-20-2018, 08:43 PM by EricC85.)

(04-20-2018, 01:02 PM)Kane Wrote:

"Hype culture"?

That's all fine but 420 isn't about hemp as an agricultural plant it's about smoke it if you got it. That's where I have pause, I get it there's medicinal benefits and sure it's better than opiods but I don't think it's something to celebrate?

(04-20-2018, 02:46 PM)rollerjag Wrote:

Cannabis is not a narcotic, and it has less harmful effects than alcohol, which has a hype culture to which the marijuana culture pales in comparison.

We have an on-going thread here about booze. Many people, myself included, openly discuss our favorite liquors, wines and beers, a popular topic familiar to us all. Do you really think marijuana is more harmful than alcohol?

Not at all I'd agree alcohol is more harmfull especially when you factor in it's availability. That said I don't think we need to celebrate alcohol either.

"Narcotic" is an imprecise term with no exact legal definition. In the US that term is generally reserved for opiates and opioids and similar derivatives. As a rule, pot is relatively benign and has some documented medical benefits to boot. Should it be celebrated? I don't think that's the right word exactly but it's not something that should be demonized either.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 04-20-2018, 08:48 PM by EricC85.)

(04-20-2018, 03:33 PM)The Drifter Wrote: All I know is it helps me with chronic pain, I take 2-3 hits and I'm good for up to 4 hours

Absolutely i think it's a great medical alternative to opiods. I fully support decriminalizing it I just don't want to glorify it as something that is the end all be all.

(04-20-2018, 08:45 PM)hb1148 Wrote:

"Narcotic" is an imprecise term with no exact legal definition. In the US that term is generally reserved for opiates and opioids and similar derivatives. As a rule, pot is relatively benign and has some documented medical benefits to boot. Should it be celebrated? I don't think that's the right word exactly but it's not something that should be demonized either.

Ok so narcotic isn't the right word. My point is you see the pot leaf clothing, art, and integration into pop culture as if it's a harmless as water. If we're going to legalize it and we are it's only a matter of time we need to be honest about it right?

The pop culture is due to its illegality though.

In Amsterdam for instance it's just seen the same as a beer or wine. There's no real exaggerated culture around it there.

In Ireland people either hype it up way too much for its benefits or they don't know enough about drugs and see it the same as cocaine. They buy into any kind of anti-weed narrative.

(04-20-2018, 08:46 PM)EricC85 Wrote:
(04-20-2018, 03:33 PM)The Drifter Wrote: All I know is it helps me with chronic pain, I take 2-3 hits and I'm good for up to 4 hours

Absolutely i think it's a great medical alternative to opiods. I fully support decriminalizing it I just don't want to glorify it as something that is the end all be all.

(04-20-2018, 08:45 PM)hb1148 Wrote: "Narcotic" is an imprecise term with no exact legal definition. In the US that term is generally reserved for opiates and opioids and similar derivatives. As a rule, pot is relatively benign and has some documented medical benefits to boot. Should it be celebrated? I don't think that's the right word exactly but it's not something that should be demonized either.

Ok so narcotic isn't the right word. My point is you see the pot leaf clothing, art, and integration into pop culture as if it's a harmless as water. If we're going to legalize it and we are it's only a matter of time we need to be honest about it right?

And I think we are. Compare the cultural representations of pot to alcohol. There's not much difference really when you get right down to it.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(04-20-2018, 09:06 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(04-20-2018, 08:46 PM)EricC85 Wrote: Absolutely i think it's a great medical alternative to opiods. I fully support decriminalizing it I just don't want to glorify it as something that is the end all be all.

And I think we are. Compare the cultural representations of pot to alcohol. There's not much difference really when you get right down to it.

I think we glorify it more but it's all subjective in the end. Pots cool tobacoo is evil and alcohol is dangerous that's the impression I get from pop culture. I don't think any of them are evil I think all of them are harmeful at some point tobacoo probably more than the other two ( I'm a life long smoker for the record)

All I know is 4/20 has the best holiday music.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato