Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars Worked out Hurst

(04-25-2018, 07:09 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: It seems everyone but this board thinks of Hurst as a first rounder. Can someone give me so details on why you think hes NOT worth the 29th?

Is it his age? Or is it his ability on the field? I like him, but I don't pretend to be any good at scouting.

I think he's worth a first. He's a couple years older but he has a really good attitude, he's a mature kid. Those are pros for me.

In terms of his play on the field, to me, he looks like the most complete tight end in the draft. Reminds me a lot of Greg Olsen.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-25-2018, 07:56 AM)Achilles Wrote:
(04-25-2018, 07:09 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: It seems everyone but this board thinks of Hurst as a first rounder. Can someone give me so details on why you think hes NOT worth the 29th?

Is it his age? Or is it his ability on the field? I like him, but I don't pretend to be any good at scouting.

I think he's worth a first. He's a couple years older but he has a really good attitude, he's a mature kid. Those are pros for me.

In terms of his play on the field, to me, he looks like the most complete tight end in the draft. Reminds me a lot of Greg Olsen.

He's local too. Said on 1010 yesterday that playing in Jax would be a dream come true and that his friends/family think he should play here too
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(04-25-2018, 08:05 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(04-25-2018, 07:56 AM)Achilles Wrote: I think he's worth a first. He's a couple years older but he has a really good attitude, he's a mature kid. Those are pros for me.

He's local too. Said on 1010 yesterday that playing in Jax would be a dream come true and that his friends/family think he should play here too

I also see Greg Olsen 2.0 with him. Would love him on the team.

(04-25-2018, 07:56 AM)Achilles Wrote: I think he's worth a first. He's a couple years older but he has a really good attitude, he's a mature kid. Those are pros for me.

It makes sense on many levels for the jags to take him of he's available. I think he goes before 29, but if he and Hernandez were both still there at 29 I'd have a hard time choosing.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

(This post was last modified: 04-25-2018, 09:22 AM by JackCity.)

(04-25-2018, 09:11 AM)Achilles Wrote:
(04-25-2018, 08:05 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: He's local too. Said on 1010 yesterday that playing in Jax would be a dream come true and that his friends/family think he should play here too

It makes sense on many levels for the jags to take him of he's available. I think he goes before 29, but if he and Hernandez were both still there at 29 I'd have a hard time choosing.

Does it make sense though?  

Hernandez >>>> Hurst easy for me.

(04-25-2018, 08:16 AM)JAXsonVIL Wrote:
(04-25-2018, 08:05 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: He's local too. Said on 1010 yesterday that playing in Jax would be a dream come true and that his friends/family think he should play here too

I also see Greg Olsen 2.0 with him. Would love him on the team.

Cmon now

(04-25-2018, 09:21 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(04-25-2018, 09:11 AM)Achilles Wrote: It makes sense on many levels for the jags to take him of he's available. I think he goes before 29, but if he and Hernandez were both still there at 29 I'd have a hard time choosing.

Does it make sense though?  

(04-25-2018, 08:16 AM)JAXsonVIL Wrote: I also see Greg Olsen 2.0 with him. Would love him on the team.

Cmon now

Well that's my question. Why do you think he's not worth it?

Do you think he's not worth 29 at all or just not worth over someone else who may fall? And what's your reasoning?
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 04-25-2018, 11:05 AM by JackCity.)

(04-25-2018, 10:06 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(04-25-2018, 09:21 AM)JackCity Wrote: Does it make sense though?  

Cmon now

Well that's my question. Why do you think he's not worth it?

Do you think he's not worth 29 at all or just not worth over someone else who may fall? And what's your reasoning?

Becuase he has no elite traits. He's an average athlete, his production is fine , his hands are okay, he's not an advanced route runner , his blocking effort wise is good but he's not a guy you want blocking or sealing off on the edge all the time (granted he can improve there). 

All around he's just "meh". If you take him in the mid rounds then fine but no way am I drafting that in the first. Granted last year was a very strong class but he wouldn't make my top 10 TEs from that year.

(04-25-2018, 10:42 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(04-25-2018, 10:06 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Well that's my question. Why do you think he's not worth it?

Becuase he has no elite traits. He's an average athlete, his production is fine , his hands are okay, he's not an advanced route runner , his blocking effort wise is good but he's not a guy you want blocking or sealing off on the edge all the time (granted he can improve there). 

All around he's just "meh". If you take him in the mid rounds then fine but no way am I drafting that in the first. Granted last year was a very strong class but he wouldn't make my top 10 TEs from that year.

I’d have him behind the top three from last year.

But no more than that.

Who are the other seven TEs last year who are better than Hurst?

(04-25-2018, 12:16 PM)Andy G Wrote:
(04-25-2018, 10:42 AM)JackCity Wrote: Becuase he has no elite traits. He's an average athlete, his production is fine , his hands are okay, he's not an advanced route runner , his blocking effort wise is good but he's not a guy you want blocking or sealing off on the edge all the time (granted he can improve there). 

I’d have him behind the top three from last year.

But no more than that.

Guys I'd have taken over Hurst last year (in no particular order) 
OJ Howard 
Evan Engram 
Njoku
Gerald Everett 
Jonnu Smith 
Micheal Roberts
George Kittle 
Jordan Leggett 
Bucky Hodges (hasn't done anything yet but I loved him as a prospect) 
Adam Shaheen (just about)  

I'd put Hurst on par with someone like Jake Butt or Jeremy Sprinkle from 2016. Now as I said that was a historically strong TE class so I understand its an outlier talent wise. Hurst would have a 3rd round grade from me this year. Just behind Dallas G, Gesicki, and Andrews.

(04-25-2018, 12:35 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(04-25-2018, 12:16 PM)Andy G Wrote: I’d have him behind the top three from last year.

But no more than that.

OJ Howard 
Evan Engram 
Njoku
Gerald Everett 
Jonnu Smith 
Micheal Roberts
George Kittle 
Jordan Leggett 

I'd put Hurst on par with someone like Jake Butt or Jeremy Sprinkle from 2016. Now as I said that was a historically strong TE class so I understand its an outlier talent wise. Hurst would have a 3rd round grade from me this year. Just behind Dallas G, Gesicki, and Andrews.

Lol at some of the names on this list.

(04-25-2018, 12:16 PM)Andy G Wrote: I’d have him behind the top three from last year.

But no more than that.

OJ Howard 
Evan Engram 
Njoku
Gerald Everett 
Jonnu Smith 
Micheal Roberts
George Kittle 
Jordan Leggett 

Wow, I know it was a good class, but putting that lot ahead of Hurst (who a lot of commentators have as the best TE this year) is a bit of a stretch.

Where would your man Gesicki appear in that list?

(This post was last modified: 04-25-2018, 01:50 PM by JackCity.)

(04-25-2018, 01:17 PM)Achilles Wrote:
(04-25-2018, 12:35 PM)JackCity Wrote: Guys I'd have taken over Hurst last year (in no particular order) 
OJ Howard 
Evan Engram 
Njoku
Gerald Everett 
Jonnu Smith 
Micheal Roberts
George Kittle 
Jordan Leggett 

Lol at some of the names on this list.

Which names would you disagree with? I'd be surprised if everyone was in agreement.

(04-25-2018, 01:44 PM)Andy G Wrote:
(04-25-2018, 12:35 PM)JackCity Wrote: Guys I'd have taken over Hurst last year (in no particular order) 
OJ Howard 
Evan Engram 
Njoku
Gerald Everett 
Jonnu Smith 
Micheal Roberts
George Kittle 
Jordan Leggett 

Wow, I know it was a good class, but putting that lot ahead of Hurst (who a lot of commentators have as the best TE this year) is a bit of a stretch.

Where would your man Gesicki appear in that list?

It's not a stretch to me but of course evaluations are subjective.  

He'd be top 5 last year.

(This post was last modified: 04-25-2018, 03:32 PM by Upper.)

The age is a big factor, but far from the only factor. He is a slightly below average athlete, and he is small too. He got by as a blocker with effort not talent, many of the evaluators say he is actually a poor blocking technician.

Is effort going to be enough when he isn't simply more physically mature than everyone else he is playing against? I have major questions about that. I think we'll be looking at a guy who is wholly average across the board. Someone you'd be happy with getting in like the 3rd or 4th round, not a premium pick.

I also agree with Jackcity, Hurst would be like the 7th TE in last years class for me. If that.

If there's one thing about the Jacksonville fan base that has been historically true is the strong preference for the local kid, no matter how qualified or unqualified said local kid may be.

In this case, I would love Hurst here.  He would be an asset to the passing game.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(04-25-2018, 03:35 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

If there's one thing about the Jacksonville fan base that has been historically true is the strong preference for the local kid, no matter how qualified or unqualified said local kid may be.

In this case, I would love Hurst here.  He would be an asset to the passing game.

I bet I can give you flashbacks just by mentioning Chris Doering.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(04-25-2018, 03:31 PM)Upper Wrote:

The age is a big factor, but far from the only factor. He is a slightly below average athlete, and he is small too. He got by as a blocker with effort not talent, many of the evaluators say he is actually a poor blocking technician.

Is effort going to be enough when he isn't simply more physically mature than everyone else he is playing against? I have major questions about that. I think we'll be looking at a guy who is wholly average across the board. Someone you'd be happy with getting in like the 3rd or 4th round, not a premium pick.

I also agree with Jackcity, Hurst would be like the 7th TE in last years class for me. If that.

He is small too? He's 6'5" 250lbs....

But no more than that.

OJ Howard 
Evan Engram 
Njoku
Gerald Everett 
Jonnu Smith 
Micheal Roberts
George Kittle 
Jordan Leggett 

For the record I'd prob go.. Howard, njoku, Hurst, gesicki, Shaheen, goedert, engram if I was ranking em

(This post was last modified: 04-25-2018, 06:06 PM by Upper.)

(04-25-2018, 04:35 PM)Achilles Wrote:
(04-25-2018, 03:31 PM)Upper Wrote: The age is a big factor, but far from the only factor. He is a slightly below average athlete, and he is small too. He got by as a blocker with effort not talent, many of the evaluators say he is actually a poor blocking technician.

He is small too? He's 6'5" 250lbs....

Yeah. He is average height, slightly below average weight, well below average arm length, below average hand size, well below average wingspan. Combine an average build and below average length with a below average vertical and I think Blake needs to be paired with a TE with a large catch radius. I don't think Hurst is going to be winning those corner EZ catches that Marcedes was winning last year or that Goedert and Gesecki could excel in.

(04-25-2018, 05:39 PM)Achilles Wrote:
OJ Howard 
Evan Engram 
Njoku
Gerald Everett 
Jonnu Smith 
Micheal Roberts
George Kittle 
Jordan Leggett 

For the record I'd prob go.. Howard, njoku, Hurst, gesicki, Shaheen, goedert, engram if I was ranking em

No arguments here. 

When you watch Hurst, what do you think he will do at an above average level in the NFL? I don't see anything personally.

(04-25-2018, 05:42 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(04-25-2018, 05:39 PM)Achilles Wrote: For the record I'd prob go.. Howard, njoku, Hurst, gesicki, Shaheen, goedert, engram if I was ranking em

No arguments here. 

When you watch Hurst, what do you think he will do at an above average level in the NFL? I don't see anything personally.

I don't think any one thing about him is exceptional. I think the sum is greater than the parts in his case. He also seems to be the exact kind of TE that the jaguars are looking for. 

Gesicki has a higher ceiling as a receiver, but the complete package of TE I think Hurst is going to have the better career.