Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Our picks might be completely unexpected

(04-23-2018, 05:09 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think we have to realize, picking 29th, yes, most of us seem to think we should pick offensive line and tight end with our first two picks, but really, we don't have any clear cut needs.   So our first two or three picks could be almost anything.  Factor in that we have to plan for some changes in 2019, and that adds even more possibilities.  

We all sit here and play at being a GM, but the professional GMs out there have to decide, does this WR or CB or DT have a better chance of becoming a long term player than this OL or TE. 

Sure, personally, I would love to have Will Hernandez in the first round, and the best TE in the second round, but it could very well be CB or WR or some other position.  

Every year we finally make our picks and half the people on this message board go ape about how stupid the front office is.  I just think we need to be prepared for something we don't expect, ESPECIALLY this year.

I think The Real Marty deserves a bit of credit for this one.

(Maybe don’t read my reply, below, though - I got it wrong!)

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

[quote pid='1121139' dateline='1524506618']

Especially if someone falls into their lap that can help out with that cap situation next year.   (S, DT etc)
[/quote]

Cool

(04-23-2018, 05:09 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think we have to realize, picking 29th, yes, most of us seem to think we should pick offensive line and tight end with our first two picks, but really, we don't have any clear cut needs.   So our first two or three picks could be almost anything.  Factor in that we have to plan for some changes in 2019, and that adds even more possibilities.  

We all sit here and play at being a GM, but the professional GMs out there have to decide, does this WR or CB or DT have a better chance of becoming a long term player than this OL or TE. 

Sure, personally, I would love to have Will Hernandez in the first round, and the best TE in the second round, but it could very well be CB or WR or some other position.  

Every year we finally make our picks and half the people on this message board go ape about how stupid the front office is.  I just think we need to be prepared for something we don't expect, ESPECIALLY this year.

You hit the nail right on the head! As with all draft classes, we won't really know how good or bad it was until at least 2 years from now. Here are 2 extreme scenerios which we could be talking about:

1. Best case- Bryan realizes his freakish potential due to great coaching, mentoring from Calais and Malik and hard work. Those on this Board who criticized the pick will admit their mistake
                   as he becomes a double digit sack guy and Will Hernandez turns out to be average. Jags are able to let go of Malik after next year without a drop off in production and the 
                   defense remains top 3 in the NFL. Chark, Harrison and Richardson all become solid starters down the road.

2. Worst case- Bryan is compared to Mike Mamula as he never develops and Will Hernandez becomes a perennial pro-bowler and best run blocker in the league. Chark can't get off the
                     line of scrimmage and when he does he drops too many passes. Richardson can't get over his substance abuse issues and gets cut early on and Harrison turns out to be
                     a box safety who reminds people of Cyprien.

Most likely, the reality will be somewhere in the middle. The only reality right now is nobody truly knows which is why there are so many busts (RG3, Jamarcus, Blackmon, etc) as well 
as positive success stories (Brady, Watt, Rodgers, etc.) every year which has made the NFL draft such a huge ratings success with more viewers than the NBA playoffs!

(04-29-2018, 11:04 AM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(04-23-2018, 05:09 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think we have to realize, picking 29th, yes, most of us seem to think we should pick offensive line and tight end with our first two picks, but really, we don't have any clear cut needs.   So our first two or three picks could be almost anything.  Factor in that we have to plan for some changes in 2019, and that adds even more possibilities.  

You hit the nail right on the head! As with all draft classes, we won't really know how good or bad it was until at least 2 years from now. Here are 2 extreme scenerios which we could be talking about:

1. Best case- Bryan realizes his freakish potential due to great coaching, mentoring from Calais and Malik and hard work. Those on this Board who criticized the pick will admit their mistake
                   as he becomes a double digit sack guy and Will Hernandez turns out to be average. Jags are able to let go of Malik after next year without a drop off in production and the 
                   defense remains top 3 in the NFL. Chark, Harrison and Richardson all become solid starters down the road.

2. Worst case- Bryan is compared to Mike Mamula as he never develops and Will Hernandez becomes a perennial pro-bowler and best run blocker in the league. Chark can't get off the
                     line of scrimmage and when he does he drops too many passes. Richardson can't get over his substance abuse issues and gets cut early on and Harrison turns out to be

Most likely, the reality will be somewhere in the middle. The only reality right now is nobody truly knows which is why there are so many busts (RG3, Jamarcus, Blackmon, etc) as well 
as positive success stories (Brady, Watt, Rodgers, etc.) every year which has made the NFL draft such a huge ratings success with more viewers than the NBA playoffs!

All of the anxiety ends with the security of knowing you have selected the absolutely most talented football player you possibly can with each and every pick.

(04-30-2018, 12:51 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote:
(04-29-2018, 11:04 AM)jaglou53 Wrote: You hit the nail right on the head! As with all draft classes, we won't really know how good or bad it was until at least 2 years from now. Here are 2 extreme scenerios which we could be talking about:

All of the anxiety ends with the security of knowing you have selected the absolutely most talented football player you possibly can with each and every pick.

I agree.  The rich get richer because they start with no glaring needs that absolutely must get filled,  so they just draft the best available players.   Over time, that adds up to a more talented roster, and those teams stay good year after year.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!