Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
TheO-LineMatters Final 2018 Mock Draft

(04-26-2018, 12:24 AM)ColoJag Wrote: Wouldn't surprise me to see us trade for Hackenburg or Petty for a 7th

Are you trying to give me a heart attack? Hackenburg isn't even good enough to play in the Arena League and Petty isn't much better.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-26-2018, 07:27 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I understand wanting to take a QB but you’re reaching so high for a guy who could be there in the 3rd. You’re passing on tons of talent for Mike White. I’d much rather take Gesicki, a physical freak and red zone monster, and teach him to block. Mike White isn’t pushing Bortles.

I couldn't disagree more. Gesicki doesn't like contact. Watch the guys tape. You can't teach a guy to block if he doesn't like contact and his pass catching is way overrated as well. Personally, I like Mike White quite a bit. If we don't end up with him or one of the other QB's I mentioned, I fear we will be stuck in limbo, always making the playoffs and never reaching a Superbowl, because the QB class next year is terrible. So in essence, we'd be all in, on Bortles. He either makes the leap forward or we're screwed. I'm not a gambler. I have to have a backup plan and Kessler isn't it. From what I saw of the draft eligible QB's in 2019, I'd pass on all of them, unless they make a monumental leap forward ala Baker Mayfield did this past season. That's not a common to happen.

(This post was last modified: 04-26-2018, 09:17 AM by BlueEyedJag.)

(04-25-2018, 11:12 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-25-2018, 06:09 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I just don't see Haynes as a OLB in a 4-3 scheme. I believe he is either a 3-4 pass rushing OLB or perhaps a DE in a 4-3 system or even a LEO in a 4-3 hybrid. He's an accomplished pass rusher, but when it comes to other skills, he needs some work. When I got to the end of the draft, I just tried to pick the BAP for our positions of need. I didn't really take notice of the schools, (which is why we doubled up twice.) That was totally unintentional. The small school corner I have us taking is extremely athletic, has a knack for getting to the football, he would probably become the fastest player on the team and he could be a valuable return man. I just thought he checked all the boxes.

Exactly.  I would rather the team draft another edge rusher than a 4-3 olb.

I think Haynes would make the decision on keeping Fowler easier.

Being an Ole Miss fan I have always seen him as a similar prospect to Yannick.

Yannick has 20lbs or so on Haynes but beyond that they are extremely similar...both known as pass rusher/weak against the run. Combine numbers almost favor Haynes only having 3 less reps(23) than Yannick and 2.5inch less vertical.

Haynes with at least 7 sacks in each of his 4 years in the SEC total of 32 and 47.5 TFL. Yannick was 21 sacks in 3 years with 32 TFL. So their production was very similar as well.

(04-25-2018, 03:18 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: 1. Isaiah Wynn, OG/OT, Georgia: My personal favorite interior lineman in the draft. He played LT in college, but with shorter arms and a squatty frame, he would fit perfectly kicking inside to OG. He is arguably one of the top 5 run blockers in this class of O-Linemen and displays excellent pass protection skills, footwork and technique as well. My only concern is whether he will be able to adjust to the switch to the right side of the line. If he can, I believe he can be a valuable starter on our O-line for the next 10 years.

2. Mike White, QB, Western Kentucky: As I have stated on many occasions, I believe it is imperative that we find a QB who can push Bortles for the starting job. I don't believe we will be in position to get one of the top 4 (Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen or Rudolph.) Outside of those guys, Mike White is the only player I believe can push Bortles by the 2019 season. He has a strong, accurate arm. A high football I.Q. and is able to make quick reads and consistently puts the ball where it needs to be. He won't last to our 3rd round pick and outside of him or possibly Lauletta, I would be totally against wasting a draft pick on one of the lower end QB's. I don't see any of the other low round guys even beating out Kessler for the backup job. 

3. Ian Thomas, TE, Indiana: Thomas is a very intriguing prospect. He is basically a one year wonder, but suffered from poor QB play. He flashes big play ability and shows solid route running and very good hands. I especially like his abilities that he shows after the catch. He isn't the best blocker in the world, but if we run a lot of two TE sets, he would probably be used as the main target. I believe he can be a much better pro than he was a college player. 

4. Joel IyieBuniwe, LB, Western Kentucky: I did not mean for us to select two players from the same school, but that is how it worked out. Iyiebuniwe is a athletic, speedy, tackling machine who racked up 117 tackles in 2017 with 11 tackles for loss and 2 sacks. He shows excellent range and great coverage ability, which is something that he will definitely need playing the strong side role in this defense. I really like this kid and believe he can be a valuable addition to the defense. 

6. Tremon Smith, CB, Central Arkansas: Smith is a small school ballhawk who is starting to attract a lot of attention from NFL teams. He was a first team all conference pick for the last two years and pulled in 5 interceptions in 2017 and has 15 for his college career. He has good size, excellent speed at 4.32/40 and solid coverage ability. I believe he would be ideal for a Nickle role on our defense and he can also double as a return man since he was pretty successful at it in college. 

7. Javon Wims, WR, Georgia: Again, I didn't mean to draft two players from the same school, but that's just how it works out. Wims is a big WR with excellent body control, very good hands and a solid route runner. He was the #1 receiver for the Bulldogs and would have had much better stats on a team that wasn't so completely run oriented. I believe he would make an excellent redzone target for this offense. 

7. Elijah Nkansah, OT, Toledo: First Team All-MAC selection in 2017 after moving to LT, from the RT position. He is an aggressive blocker with good length and solid technique. He was a key run blocker for Kareem Hunt in 2016 and displays the ability to run block and pass protect. His ability to play either OT position would be greatly needed. I believe he could challenge for the Swing Tackle position immediately and possibly kick to the starting RT position by 2019. 

I've been banging the Mike White in the third drum for months now, but I don't know I'd take him in the late second. 
I'd consider moving up in the third maybe, but they won't take him that high unless they really expect him to push Bortles to start in 2019.  Perhaps they'll go that route and I wouldn't hate it, but it just feels too early for that player to me.

(04-26-2018, 08:51 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-26-2018, 12:24 AM)ColoJag Wrote: Wouldn't surprise me to see us trade for Hackenburg or Petty for a 7th

Are you trying to give me a heart attack? Hackenburg isn't even good enough to play in the Arena League and Petty isn't much better.

Hahaha was worth a shot! Wouldn't be surprised to see Houston rare for Hackenburg with the Bill OB connection

(This post was last modified: 04-26-2018, 10:34 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(04-26-2018, 09:18 AM)ColoJag Wrote:
(04-26-2018, 08:51 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Are you trying to give me a heart attack? Hackenburg isn't even good enough to play in the Arena League and Petty isn't much better.

Hahaha was worth a shot! Wouldn't be surprised to see Houston rare for Hackenburg with the Bill OB connection

Being a Hackenburg hater, I hope the Texans make that move. Personally, I'd pull Byron Leftwich out of retirement before I'd ever sign Hackenburg. I see Josh Allen as an overhyped version of Hackenburg.

(04-26-2018, 09:00 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-26-2018, 07:27 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I understand wanting to take a QB but you’re reaching so high for a guy who could be there in the 3rd. You’re passing on tons of talent for Mike White. I’d much rather take Gesicki, a physical freak and red zone monster, and teach him to block. Mike White isn’t pushing Bortles.

I couldn't disagree more. Gesicki doesn't like contact. Watch the guys tape. You can't teach a guy to block if he doesn't like contact and his pass catching is way overrated as well. Personally, I like Mike White quite a bit. If we don't end up with him or one of the other QB's I mentioned, I fear we will be stuck in limbo, always making the playoffs and never reaching a Superbowl, because the QB class next year is terrible. So in essence, we'd be all in, on Bortles. He either makes the leap forward or we're screwed. I'm not a gambler. I have to have a backup plan and Kessler isn't it. From what I saw of the draft eligible QB's in 2019, I'd pass on all of them, unless they make a monumental leap forward ala Baker Mayfield did this past season. That's not a common to happen.

I think the point remains... we are set at QB and backup QB... we have too many needs to burn a 2nd rounder on a flyer QB that isn't really needed.

(04-26-2018, 10:39 AM)brianmsbc Wrote:
(04-26-2018, 09:00 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I couldn't disagree more. Gesicki doesn't like contact. Watch the guys tape. You can't teach a guy to block if he doesn't like contact and his pass catching is way overrated as well. Personally, I like Mike White quite a bit. If we don't end up with him or one of the other QB's I mentioned, I fear we will be stuck in limbo, always making the playoffs and never reaching a Superbowl, because the QB class next year is terrible. So in essence, we'd be all in, on Bortles. He either makes the leap forward or we're screwed. I'm not a gambler. I have to have a backup plan and Kessler isn't it. From what I saw of the draft eligible QB's in 2019, I'd pass on all of them, unless they make a monumental leap forward ala Baker Mayfield did this past season. That's not a common to happen.

I think the point remains... we are set at QB and backup QB... we have too many needs to burn a 2nd rounder on a flyer QB that isn't really needed.

That's where we disagree. I don't think we are set at QB. Not by a long shot.

I'd be very surprised.  Kessler is a good bit better than both.  I dont see us trading picks for a 3rd string QB

(04-26-2018, 11:53 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-26-2018, 10:39 AM)brianmsbc Wrote: I think the point remains... we are set at QB and backup QB... we have too many needs to burn a 2nd rounder on a flyer QB that isn't really needed.

That's where we disagree. I don't think we are set at QB. Not by a long shot.

"With the 29th pick, the Jacksonville Jaguars, select, Josh Allen, quarterback, Univ of Wyoming" 

Drops down the draft like a ton of bricks because of racial tweets.

(04-26-2018, 12:42 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote:
(04-26-2018, 11:53 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: That's where we disagree. I don't think we are set at QB. Not by a long shot.

"With the 29th pick, the Jacksonville Jaguars, select, Josh Allen, quarterback, Univ of Wyoming" 

[Image: giphy.gif]

(04-26-2018, 12:42 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote:
(04-26-2018, 11:53 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: That's where we disagree. I don't think we are set at QB. Not by a long shot.

I doubt it effects his slot at all. He wont get past buffalo.

I mean I get that some people don't like Josh Allen... he might end up being a bust... but Mel Kiper says he is the top pick in the draft and McShay has him just below that... I think some people are getting carried away with their hatred.

I'm pretty sure they said the same thing about Jamarcus Russell... but QB's are a crapshoot and nobody knows who is going to end up being the best in the class.

MY lord you draft like Gene Smith...
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.