Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Could we really get Griffin in the 4th?

(04-28-2018, 11:56 AM)JaxonJag24 Wrote:
(04-28-2018, 11:44 AM)brianmsbc Wrote: You guys are missing my original point. The guys you are talking about were established STARTERS and played every down. In Griffin's case he would play 3rd LB (at best) which means he will need to find other ways to contribute. Missing a hand will significantly hinder his ability to play Special Teams (which requires blocking and disengaging blocks).
You're point is not lost.  He's a rare athlete who's had to overcome a significant handicap all his life.  Do you remember Jim Abbott?  I'm sure there were people like you who doubted his ability to pitch in the Major Leagues with just one hand.  Guess what?  He was a superstar and pitched a no-hitter.

Abbott had a career losing record, an ERA over 4, and never made an all star team. Inspiration? Sure.

SUPERSTAR? Wellll......

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Maybe teams have him lower on their boards than I would have guessed.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Sorry to dust off an old thread but mark me down as one of the guys that loves the Griffin story but glad we passed on him. Who in the NFL has been crazy good with a club? I’m seriously asking to know and I’ll admit I’m incorrect. The only guy I can remember with a legit club on his hand and playing well was Patrick Willis and that monster could play LB with one arm and one leg. JPP did alright with a club. But playing DE is different than playing LB in space. Griffin is an inspiration but not a super star
"Expect for the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes."

(04-28-2018, 01:52 PM)NCJag Wrote:
(04-28-2018, 11:56 AM)JaxonJag24 Wrote: You're point is not lost.  He's a rare athlete who's had to overcome a significant handicap all his life.  Do you remember Jim Abbott?  I'm sure there were people like you who doubted his ability to pitch in the Major Leagues with just one hand.  Guess what?  He was a superstar and pitched a no-hitter.

Abbott had a career losing record, an ERA over 4, and never made an all star team. Inspiration? Sure.

SUPERSTAR? Wellll......
Sorry...Couldn't let this go.  He played nearly 10 years in the Majors (did I mention he only had one arm?).  He skipped the minor leagues and went right from college to the bigs (BTW, he only had one arm).  He had 87 wins (with just one arm).  He pitched a NO-HITTER (with only one arm).  Can you imagine if he had been selected to an All-Star team as one of the top 10 pitchers in the American League?  ASTOUNDING!  To accomplish what he did and what Shaquem Griffin has done is amazing.  I wonder if he was available to us in the 6th round if we would have taken him?  I don't think we could have passed him up.  Glad he went to the Seahawks with his brother.

(05-06-2018, 11:47 PM)JaxonJag24 Wrote:
(04-28-2018, 01:52 PM)NCJag Wrote: Abbott had a career losing record, an ERA over 4, and never made an all star team. Inspiration? Sure.

SUPERSTAR? Wellll......
Sorry...Couldn't let this go.  He played nearly 10 years in the Majors (did I mention he only had one arm?).  He skipped the minor leagues and went right from college to the bigs (BTW, he only had one arm).  He had 87 wins (with just one arm).  He pitched a NO-HITTER (with only one arm).  Can you imagine if he had been selected to an All-Star team as one of the top 10 pitchers in the American League?  ASTOUNDING!  To accomplish what he did and what Shaquem Griffin has done is amazing.  I wonder if he was available to us in the 6th round if we would have taken him?  I don't think we could have passed him up.  Glad he went to the Seahawks with his brother.

Abbott didn't have to play special teams.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!