Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
One draft do-over

Now that we've had a few days to digest the draft class, if there was one do-over allowed what would you choose? For me, it's a no-brainer. I would have selected Will Hernandez in the first round rather than Bryan. I understand the reasoning behind this pick; he was the highest guy on their board and will likely enable them to let go of a very expensive lineman after next season. That being said, I really believe Hernandez would have made much more sense. One NFL Network analyst said he was the best run-blocker he has seen in 10 years. Even if that's an exaggeration, he would have started from day 1 and made it easier for Fournette to take over games. With the addition of Chark and Seferian-Jenkins, it will be tough for defenses to put 8 men in the box. Imagine what a healthy Fournette would have accomplished in such a scenerio!

Other than that, I thought the draft choices were solid. Bryan is the great unknown, as are many "workout warriors" who have yet to produce great results on the field. He is in a great situation with mentors such as Malik and Calais as well as solid coaching at his position. Regardless, teams aren't often in a position to make it to the Super Bowl that often and Hernandez may very well have been the best guy to put this team over the top.

Are there any other picks you question more or do you agree with my choice?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I agree with Hernandez over Bryan, but I won't steal that so I will say Mason Rudolph instead of Chark.

I am only modestly a fan of Rudolph, but after seeing how late some really solid WRs were drafted we would have been better off giving Blake some better competition in the 2nd and taking any of St. Brown, Cain, Ateman, or others in the 6th instead of Tanner Lee.

(04-30-2018, 10:05 PM)Upper Wrote: I agree with Hernandez over Bryan, but I won't steal that so I will say Mason Rudolph instead of Chark.

I am only modestly a fan of Rudolph, but after seeing how late some really solid WRs were drafted we would have been better off giving Blake some better competition in the 2nd and taking any of St. Brown, Cain, Ateman, or others in the 6th instead of Tanner Lee.

That's a good one, too. Rudolph would have been very good value at the end of the 2nd round.

One thing I think we couldn’t easily do, even in a re-do is take a top TE though.

The “top three” were all gone by the time we picked in round two and we’d have needed a big trade up to leapfrog Miami or Philly.

And picking Goedert or Gesicki over Hernandez, Bryan and Jackson really would have been difficult to justify in the first round.

The only possibility would have been picking someone like Ian Thomas instead of Chark I’m round two. But that would have been a reach too.

I probably would have tried to package the Lee and Cooke picks to get back in the 5th and take Tyrell Crosby. But I like the draft as a whole, not going to nit pick that stuff.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(05-01-2018, 07:20 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I probably would have tried to package the Lee and Cooke picks to get back in the 5th and take Tyrell Crosby. But I like the draft as a whole, not going to nit pick that stuff.

Knowing what we know now, that would've been a good idea.

Do over opportunities on Days 1 & 2

Taven Bryan - The obvious choice here is to go with Hernandez, but do you really want to take a run blocker over the best athlete at DT in the class? Don't get me wrong, I understand that nothing is guaranteed and that Bryan can flame out just like anyone else, but if it came down to picking between Vince Manuwai and Marcus Stroud, I'm taking the DT all day long. 

DJ Chark - I can see Rudolph here, but from my perspective, this class got thin real quick. Chark has skills that not a lot of other players have and that's his speed. This is a 50-50 for me.

Ronnie Harrison - This is where I might would do over. Harrison is an old-school Safety type so I would have liked Ian Thomas here as he scratches an itch. Harrison has great production though, so I can talk myself into it, I just would have loved a TE from this class.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(05-01-2018, 07:20 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I probably would have tried to package the Lee and Cooke picks to get back in the 5th and take Tyrell Crosby. But I like the draft as a whole, not going to nit pick that stuff.

Nobodies trading a fifth for a late 6th and 7th.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

Time will tell who is better.Hernandez was the guy I was hoping would fall to us, but a really good 3-tech is going to have a bigger impact than a really good guard. If Bryan fizzles out and Hernandez becomes a beast, then that will suck a lot, but just have to wait and see.

I was hoping we could have selected one of the top 3 punters. I wish Dave would have taken the trade to pick up a 6th and take one of those guys. I think all 3 are going to have great careers.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Honestly. Not a whole lot. I actually like the first four selections. They're all being praised in the MSM right now and many folks seem to feel we flat out stole a lot of these guys where we selected them. I don't care much for Tanner Lee at QB and the Punter we took nor the LB. I would have went differently on three occasions there.

Marcell Ateman at WR over Tanner Lee at QB in RD6
Bo Scarbrough at RB over Sam Jacobs at OLB in RD7
Logan Woodside at QB over Logan Cooke at P in RD7

IMHO. Those three changes would have been better in the long term. Ateman is a big, physical receiver that got better and better each year at OKST. Scarbrough is a big, bruising RB that didn't see a lot of action at Alabama which should benefit any NFL team. I feel like we still have to have some concern with Fournette's health and I don't know if Yeldon and Grant can carry the offense in it's entirety. Another big back like that would have helped. And as far as Woodside? Much more experience, accuracy, production and consistency at the QB position in comparison to Tanner Lee who we drafted in RD6.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Anybody over Justin Drunkmon in the 1st.

Oh wait... you mean THIS draft? Uhh... I think I'd take Ian Thomas over Ronnie Harrison. Harrison isn't really a bad pick. I'd say it's a good one, but I think we could really use a TE, and I think he'd be the best one at the positions with which we drafted.

(05-01-2018, 06:09 PM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote: Anybody over Justin Drunkmon in the 1st.

Oh wait... you mean THIS draft?  Uhh...  I think I'd take Ian Thomas over Ronnie Harrison.  Harrison isn't really a bad pick.  I'd say it's a good one, but I think we could really use a TE, and I think he'd be the best one at the positions with which we drafted.

I'm a fan of Thomas but I think Harrison was definitely the better pick there. Thomas isn't much of a pass catcher right now and that needs a lot of development. Harrison on the other hand, he is much less of a project and I think will be a bigger impact in the future.