Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Kickoff changes

Sorry if this was beaten elsewhere already but i didnt see it really adressed in a personnel standpoint.

Brooks posted the below article and made some good points on how we will see the position begin to evolve from a manning standpoint. (Last section of the article)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...-in-year-1

TLDR he says teams will value speed, reduce the number of big men, offense and defense, and likely begin stashing big quick receivers and quick tackling machines.

This made me think going forward of the consequences in the run game/D line as well as drafting in later rounds.

First WRs we currently have about six WR that could make the team but none of them other than chark really standout as bigger but all of them have good run blocking skills, so just by our run first philosophy we are ahead of the curve for the new rule.

Looking at our LB and later draft picks, a lot of them are smaller but faster and good open space tacklers that are agile and able to get off blocks, or what we think of as people who can develop like that. In the future we may start seeing telvin smith clones who arent as good but great for kickoffs.

Finally the Lines.
Defensive and Offensive line injury rates are usually high through the season for any team. It'll make it even more difficult to replace a lost player with less lineman on gameday as well as keeping fatigue low for defensive lineman. It will also make versatile linemen like shatley and wells see a boon in their value despite overall being average players. 

Thoughts?
[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'm just concerned how the onside kick is going to work when the kicking team cant start running until its kicked.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

I think its kinda addressed in that you have to line up in either a standard kickoff formation or an onsides formation. At least thats what i got out of the movie on nfl.com explaining the changes. There wont be any more normal kickoff to onside kickoff movements we see today. If its a clear onside then i think the old rules apply.
[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

They cannot eliminate the kickoff because the 5 minutes that elapse between a TD and the 1st Offensive Play after a TD includes 5 minutes worth of commercials. If you go straight from the TD to the Offensive Play at the 25 yard line, the NFL would be essentially losing ~ 3 minutes of advertising income on each TD

(05-28-2018, 03:40 AM)archer56 Wrote: Brooks posted the below article and made some good points on how we will see the position begin to evolve from a manning standpoint. (Last section of the article)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...-in-year-1

TLDR he says teams will value speed, reduce the number of big men, offense and defense, and likely begin stashing big quick receivers and quick tackling machines.

This made me think going forward of the consequences in the run game/D line as well as drafting in later rounds.
Quote:Brooks:

...I'm curious to see if special-teams coaches will use more skill players (wide receivers, tight ends and fullbacks) because there will be more one-on-one blocking in the open field, which requires better athletes and players adept at blocking in space. The makeup for returners will also change a bit, with guys expected to cover more ground than before. Coaches will opt for speedy guys with outstanding quickness and tracking skills over the rugged returners (see: Brian Mitchell) who used to occupy some of the KR spots in the past.

On the coverage side, I believe we could see more linebackers and defensive backs on kickoff coverage units due to the elimination of running starts and the need to make more tackles in space. We could also see more wide receivers earn time on those units as the play transitions into more of a punt play, where speed and athleticism are coveted at a premium. Sure, those wide receivers will need to be able to make tackles in space, but their collective speed and quickness will make them more valuable than ever on kicking units.
In addition, you could see more teams stash "big" receivers (6-foot-2, 215-plus pounds) on the roster as special-teams standouts/WR4s and WR5s. With teams looking for large, athletic guys capable of blocking in space, the bigger receivers could become hot commodities as bottom-of-the-roster fillers.

Lots of Jags players fitting some of these descriptions:

Donald Payne
Blair Brown
(Myles and Telvin though unlikely to be used as such)
Ronnie Harrison
Cody Davis
Niles Paul
Meeks 
Myrick
Jarrod Wilson
Lee
Moncrief
Chark
Lazard

returners:
Westbrook
Mickens
Greene
Grant

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!