Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguar rank 2nd in overall talent

(07-02-2018, 09:33 AM)Nashville.Dave Wrote:
(07-02-2018, 07:39 AM)hb1148 Wrote: You're seeing things very optimistically and to be honest, you should as a fan. But even if you've upgraded your secondary with Butler, your linebackers are very young with little depth.  You might improve a bit from that 25th ranked pass defense but probably not enough to make it into the top half of the league and you've really done nothing substantial to improve your offense. You're one twisted ankle (Henry) away from the cellar in that department.

Well to get this back to the jags talent as this thread should be, what did you guys do to improve your offense? Everyone knows the defense is loaded, but does all those contracts limit what you can do offensively?

Jags were ranked 1st in the league in rushing and 17th in passing so obviously passing is where the improvement should be.  Andrew Norwell is a big pickup on the line in both pass protection and the run game and the addition of Seferian-Jenkins will give Bortles a pass catching tight end that he's never had before. I'd say they'll be able to at least maintain where they were last year although I suspect to see an improvement in the passing game probably getting into the top 10 or so and with the run game, become a top 5 offense overall.

Top 5 offense and arguably the top defense. Not bad.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think it’s a bit naive to read too much into division matchup results. Those teams know each other by virtue of playing twice a year; more study of film, coaching efforts etc go into it.

There were years (2003, 2008) that the Jags were a bad team and beat the Colts, perennial playoff contenders. It happens. Doesn’t necessarily make the Tacks the better team.

(This post was last modified: 07-03-2018, 08:36 AM by SeldomRite.)

(07-03-2018, 08:05 AM)SamusAranX Wrote: I think it’s a bit naive to read too much into division matchup results. Those teams know each other by virtue of playing twice a year; more study of film, coaching efforts etc go into it.

There were years (2003, 2008) that the Jags were a bad team and beat the Colts, perennial playoff contenders. It happens. Doesn’t necessarily make the Tacks the better team.

Plus the fallacy of extrapolating from a small sample size. The meaningless (for the Jaguars) week seventeen game can't really be used to take much away, and even though it was a game the tacks needed and the Jaguars didn't the tacks could just barely pull it out at home.

If the stars align the tacks could win again this year while still being the worse team, but it won't mean anything if they're not competing for a championship, and I don't expect them to be in that tier. Just not enough talent there to make up for a mediocre at best QB. (Hilarious that they're saying the exact same thing about us on their message boards right now, as they get their Mariota MVP 2018 tattoos)

(07-03-2018, 08:35 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(07-03-2018, 08:05 AM)SamusAranX Wrote: I think it’s a bit naive to read too much into division matchup results. Those teams know each other by virtue of playing twice a year; more study of film, coaching efforts etc go into it.

Plus the fallacy of extrapolating from a small sample size. The meaningless (for the Jaguars) week seventeen game can't really be used to take much away, and even though it was a game the tacks needed and the Jaguars didn't the tacks could just barely pull it out at home.

If the stars align the tacks could win again this year while still being the worse team, but it won't mean anything if they're not competing for a championship, and I don't expect them to be in that tier. Just not enough talent there to make up for a mediocre at best QB. (Hilarious that they're saying the exact same thing about us on their message boards right now, as they get their Mariota MVP 2018 tattoos)

You makin fun of the tat guy? True fan right there. Haha
I just dont get the over confidence here. You guys talk like you are a dynasty or something. Your defense is good. Yes you lead the league in rushing, because you led in attempts, jags were actually 7th in yards per carry. Jags had a good season. Jags have talent.. Lets see what happens in 2018. I'm glad the jags are being hyped. I'm glad the tacks are being looked over. Should be a fun season
[Image: incredulous.gif]

(This post was last modified: 07-03-2018, 12:53 PM by SeldomRite.)

(07-03-2018, 11:28 AM)Nashville.Dave Wrote:
(07-03-2018, 08:35 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Plus the fallacy of extrapolating from a small sample size. The meaningless (for the Jaguars) week seventeen game can't really be used to take much away, and even though it was a game the tacks needed and the Jaguars didn't the tacks could just barely pull it out at home.

I just dont get the over confidence here. You guys talk like you are a dynasty or something. Your defense is good. Yes you lead the league in rushing, because you led in attempts, jags were actually 7th in yards per carry. Jags had a good season. Jags have talent.. Lets see what happens in 2018. I'm glad the jags are being hyped. I'm glad the tacks are being looked over. Should be a fun season

Overconfidence?

Just being real here, but with a little more consistency last year the Jaguars could have been hosting the pats instead of the other way around. There's no guarantee the Jaguars do have a better year, but it's clear that the team has the actual talent level needed for a championship right now, unlike the rest of the afcs, which can only speculate about their team getting good enough to be in that position.

Personally I think the titans are in for a rude awakening this year when they suddenly realize mariota isn't the second coming of Brady and that mularky actually was just doing the best that he could with limited talent.

The bad news for you guys is I expect you'll be good enough to win five or six games and take yourselves out of contention for a top QB in the draft. The good news is you might get to brag about taking a game off the champs next off-season, too, if things line up right.

(07-03-2018, 11:28 AM)Nashville.Dave Wrote:
(07-03-2018, 08:35 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Plus the fallacy of extrapolating from a small sample size. The meaningless (for the Jaguars) week seventeen game can't really be used to take much away, and even though it was a game the tacks needed and the Jaguars didn't the tacks could just barely pull it out at home.

You said the Titans have more talent than the Jaguars and we're acting like we're a dynasty?  The consensus among everyone is the Jags are the top 1/2 in talent....don't talk down to a teams fanbase when you're coming here with that garbage.

(This post was last modified: 07-03-2018, 02:31 PM by Nashville.Dave.)

(07-03-2018, 08:35 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:

Plus the fallacy of extrapolating from a small sample size. The meaningless (for the Jaguars) week seventeen game can't really be used to take much away, and even though it was a game the tacks needed and the Jaguars didn't the tacks could barely pull it out at home.

Kinda like that bills game the following wk? Jags needed that one, and they were at home, and bortles couldnt throw a 5 yard pass to save his life.

(07-03-2018, 12:45 PM)UCF Knight Wrote:
(07-03-2018, 11:28 AM)Nashville.Dave Wrote: You makin fun of the tat guy? True fan right there. Haha

You said the Titans have more talent than the Jaguars and we're acting like we're a dynasty?  The consensus among everyone is the Jags are the top 1/2 in talent....don't talk down to a teams fanbase when you're coming here with that garbage.

By all means, listen to nfl network when they talk you guys up. Good luck this season

(07-03-2018, 12:45 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(07-03-2018, 11:28 AM)Nashville.Dave Wrote: You makin fun of the tat guy? True fan right there. Haha

Overconfidence?

Just being real here, but with a little more consistency last year the Jaguars could have been hosting the pats instead of the other way around. There's no guarantee the Jaguars do have a better year, but it's clear that the team has the actual talent level needed for a championship right now, unlike the rest of the afcs, which can only speculate about their team getting good enough to be in that position.

Personally I think the titans are in for a rude awakening this year when they suddenly realize mariota isn't the second coming of Brady and that mularky actually was just doing the best that he could with limited talent.

The bad news for you guys is I expect you'll be good enough to win five or six games and take yourselves out of contention for a top QB in the draft. The good news is you might get to brag about taking a game off the champs next off-season, too, if things line up right.

And with better coaching, the tacks win the division.

(07-03-2018, 02:15 PM)Nashville.Dave Wrote:
(07-03-2018, 12:45 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: Overconfidence?

Just being real here, but with a little more consistency last year the Jaguars could have been hosting the pats instead of the other way around. There's no guarantee the Jaguars do have a better year, but it's clear that the team has the actual talent level needed for a championship right now, unlike the rest of the afcs, which can only speculate about their team getting good enough to be in that position.

So changing the Head Coach (has one year of DC play calling) and then highering a new OC that hasn't actually been an active OC (bounced around as QB coach) magically means the offense is fixed? LaFleur's experience is the big play, middle-deep. That is NOT where Mariota shines and it just so happens that part of the field is a Jags and Texans strength on defense. Too many receiver unknowns to rely on an aggressive chunk play mentality. The type of systems LaFleur has been associated with will either get Mariota hurt, or his interceptions will go through the roof.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(07-03-2018, 03:14 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(07-03-2018, 02:15 PM)Nashville.Dave Wrote: And with better coaching, the tacks win the division.
So changing the Head Coach (has one year of DC play calling) and then highering a new OC that hasn't actually been an active OC (bounced around as QB coach) magically means the offense is fixed? LaFleur's experience is the big play, middle-deep. That is NOT where Mariota shines and it just so happens that part of the field is a Jags and Texans strength on defense. Too many receiver unknowns to rely on an aggressive chunk play mentality. The type of systems LaFleur has been associated with will either get Mariota hurt, or his interceptions will go through the roof.

I see it more as changing the head coach from one who was married to an out of date offensive system, who would only employ coordinators who would run HIS system, and being too proud and stubborn to evolve, who never accepted responsibility or blame, who stunk as a game manager...to anyone other than him and his staff is an immediate upgrade

(07-03-2018, 03:14 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(07-03-2018, 02:15 PM)Nashville.Dave Wrote: And with better coaching, the tacks win the division.

To be fair, when the Jags fired Gus it seemed like everything actually got fixed. Titans will be decent this year (7-10 wins) But the Jags are just better right now. Barring Mariota completely shocking me, and most people, by having an excellent year, the titans should be fighting with the Texans for 2nd in the division.

(07-03-2018, 02:15 PM)Nashville.Dave Wrote:
(07-03-2018, 12:45 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: Overconfidence?

Well I don't know about anyone else, but I, for one, am convinced.

Even if the tacks *did* have the talent to win the division, you'd still need a year to adapt to the new system. When Bradley left Jax, the coaching staff and system remained largely intact. I know you kept a couple of coaches from the previous staff but the system will be different. But let's say the Jags were somehow to regress; it's probably a healthy Houston team who would win the division.

(07-03-2018, 05:41 PM)hb1148 Wrote:

Even if the tacks *did* have the talent to win the division, you'd still need a year to adapt to the new system. When Bradley left Jax, the coaching staff and system remained largely intact. I know you kept a couple of coaches from the previous staff but the system will be different. But let's say the Jags were somehow to regress; it's probably a healthy Houston team who would win the division.

I was talking about last season. Mularkey and robiskie held em tacks back you see. 
I expect em to challenge for the division this year. Tacks will go 11-5.

(07-03-2018, 06:11 PM)Nashville.Dave Wrote: I expect em to challenge for the division this year. Tacks will go 11-5.

LOL, ok but if you take off your blue and navy sunglasses, what do you *really* think they'll do?

Banana

(07-04-2018, 07:26 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(07-03-2018, 06:11 PM)Nashville.Dave Wrote: I expect em to challenge for the division this year. Tacks will go 11-5.

LOL, ok but if you take off your blue and navy sunglasses, what do you *really* think they'll do?

Banana

If he were to get real he'd probably admit he's actually scared to death that they'll finish last in the division behind the colts and Texans, which would be why he's getting his trolling in now before the season even has a chance to come raining down.

I could really see their season being a lot like 2013 was for the Jaguars, a new terrible coach brought in and making the least of what little talent there is there currently trying to push a lot of square pegs into round holes.

(07-03-2018, 04:09 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:
(07-03-2018, 03:14 PM)B2hibry Wrote: So changing the Head Coach (has one year of DC play calling) and then highering a new OC that hasn't actually been an active OC (bounced around as QB coach) magically means the offense is fixed? LaFleur's experience is the big play, middle-deep. That is NOT where Mariota shines and it just so happens that part of the field is a Jags and Texans strength on defense. Too many receiver unknowns to rely on an aggressive chunk play mentality. The type of systems LaFleur has been associated with will either get Mariota hurt, or his interceptions will go through the roof.

To be fair, when the Jags fired Gus it seemed like everything actually got fixed. Titans will be decent this year (7-10 wins) But the Jags are just better right now. Barring Mariota completely shocking me, and most people, by having an excellent year, the titans should be fighting with the Texans for 2nd in the division.
Appeared that way but you’re underestimating the influx of talent that took place and the addition of key pieces.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(07-04-2018, 09:47 AM)B2hibry Wrote:
(07-03-2018, 04:09 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: To be fair, when the Jags fired Gus it seemed like everything actually got fixed. Titans will be decent this year (7-10 wins) But the Jags are just better right now. Barring Mariota completely shocking me, and most people, by having an excellent year, the titans should be fighting with the Texans for 2nd in the division.
Appeared that way but you’re underestimating the influx of talent that took place and the addition of key pieces.

I feel you are also underestimating the value of coaching and a change in culture. It can make all the difference. Titans also added some solid players this offseason. Dion lewis and malcom butler are both difference makers.

(07-04-2018, 06:04 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:
(07-04-2018, 09:47 AM)B2hibry Wrote: Appeared that way but you’re underestimating the influx of talent that took place and the addition of key pieces.

I feel you are also underestimating the value of coaching and a change in culture. It can make all the difference. Titans also added some solid players this offseason. Dion lewis and malcom butler are both difference makers.

Titans will surprise alot of folks this season. Vrabel may win coach of the year

(07-04-2018, 07:49 PM)Nashville.Dave Wrote:
(07-04-2018, 06:04 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: I feel you are also underestimating the value of coaching and a change in culture. It can make all the difference. Titans also added some solid players this offseason. Dion lewis and malcom butler are both difference makers.

Titans will surprise alot of folks this season. Vrabel may win coach of the year

[Image: giphy.gif]