Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Questions Re: Beating Video Games

The title says it all...

1.  Think back to every video game you have played and not beaten.  If there were one game you played frequently but never beat and now wish you could beat, what game would that be?  Why didn't you beat it?

There are a bunch of games that could fall into this category for me.

Of the current games I have/current system, it would be very hard to narrow it to one, but if I had to pick one, it would be Uncharted 3.  At the time I stopped, I was stuck in the desert.  I stopped playing and never went back when the power went out during the hurricane and zapped the drive on my PS4.  It wouldn't reboot and I had to upload a system reinstall, which deleted everything I saved on it.

2.  Which game did you find the most satisfying to beat?  Why?

Of the current games...I'd have to say the Last of Us.  Aside from it being a great game, it was challenging without being oppressively so, while also being emotionally draining.  After I got done with that, I had the abiding sense I had to earn every single accomplishment.

3.  Which game did you find least satisfying to beat?  Why?  Probably L.A. Noir-even though I beat it on PS3, it is now available on PS4 in the PS Store, so I still count it as a current game.  It was fun to play, but the ending was dissatisfying on many levels.  I desperately want to elaborate here, but in the event someone decides to buy the download, I don't want to spoil it.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Hmmm, tough list to narrow down.

Never beat: Probably Lost Odyssey on 360. I put hours upon hours into it and only got about halfway through. I really liked it and was getting deep into the lore of the game and I just stopped for some reason. Now I don't have a copy but I think it's on the xbox store.

Most satisfying beat: Uncharted 4. Just a perfect game from start to finish and brought an awesome close to a story I first opened 10 years ago. An emotional masterpiece that I actually had to put down and not play for a day and then made gaming boring for a good 3-4 months afterwards. Bullseye, I highly recommended finishing 3 and then playing through 4 if you haven't played it yet.

Least satisfying: Off the top of my head, Borderlands. There may be a worse one I'm not remembering right now, but this one sucked.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 06-14-2018, 12:17 AM by Bullseye.)

(06-13-2018, 10:30 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Hmmm, tough list to narrow down.

Never beat: Probably Lost Odyssey on 360. I put hours upon hours into it and only got about halfway through. I really liked it and was getting deep into the lore of the game and I just stopped for some reason. Now I don't have a copy but I think it's on the xbox store.

Most satisfying beat: Uncharted 4. Just a perfect game from start to finish and brought an awesome close to a story I first opened 10 years ago. An emotional masterpiece that I actually had to put down and not play for a day and then made gaming boring for a good 3-4 months afterwards. Bullseye, I highly recommended finishing 3 and then playing through 4 if you haven't played it yet.

Least satisfying: Off the top of my head, Borderlands. There may be a worse one I'm not remembering right now, but this one sucked.

Oh I absolutely believe you when it comes to Uncharted.  Buying the first one on PS3 was one of the best purchases ever and started me on the best video game journeys ever up until TLOU.

But losing all of my progress was absolutely crushing.  I will eventually get back to it (I lost all my progress on Witcher 3 as well).  As great as the games are, the idea of having to start over from scratch is demoralizing.

As for Borderlands...that is some of the first negative feedback I have ever seen on it.  Are you talking about the first one or 2?

Ok...

I really struggled to beat Batman: Arkham Knight.. I ended up getting frustrated and put it back on the shelf. I beat the Cloudburst Tank and then couldn't get any further. I was relatively new to Xbox and gaming in general then, so I put it partly down to that, and being slow on the controller etc. I will pick it back up, though. IT WILL NOT BEAT ME!!

GTAV - This was the first game I'd completed since I was a teenager. It was a lot of fun, not overly hard, but to finish the final heist was a milestone for me. Especially seeing as I got the game over 3 years after it came out.

Destiny 2. I understand I haven't 'beaten' it yet.. but, here's the thing: I was huge into D2 when it came out. It was a new concept to me and only my 3rd ever FPS game. The first being Goldeneye back in 97, then a long time to play a FPS again in 2017 with COD WWII. The main story was great, especially the bits where I could only go it alone because you have to hit a certain milestone to unlock co-op playing. I bought the expansion pack and the first DLC (Mercury) was decent.. then came the second DLC (Mars).. boring. Light level went up too easily, took no time at all to get from player level 25 to 30 and it's an inane grind for no reward.. on top of that, the second DLC campaign took me a few hours tops.. from the main game to where we are now, it's turned boring and repetitive.. this won't come as a surprise to those of you who have played it before. I won't be returning for the September expansion.
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

(06-14-2018, 12:14 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(06-13-2018, 10:30 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Hmmm, tough list to narrow down.

Oh I absolutely believe you when it comes to Uncharted.  Buying the first one on PS3 was one of the best purchases ever and started me on the best video game journeys ever up until TLOU.

But losing all of my progress was absolutely crushing.  I will eventually get back to it (I lost all my progress on Witcher 3 as well).  As great as the games are, the idea of having to start over from scratch is demoralizing.

As for Borderlands...that is some of the first negative feedback I have ever seen on it.  Are you talking about the first one or 2?

Just the ending of 1st Borderlands. The game itself was super fun, but that was probably one of the worst, most anti climactic endings ever
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(06-13-2018, 09:54 PM)Bullseye Wrote: The title says it all...

1.  Think back to every video game you have played and not beaten.  If there were one game you played frequently but never beat and now wish you could beat, what game would that be?  Why didn't you beat it?

There are a bunch of games that could fall into this category for me.

Of the current games I have/current system, it would be very hard to narrow it to one, but if I had to pick one, it would be Uncharted 3.  At the time I stopped, I was stuck in the desert.  I stopped playing and never went back when the power went out during the hurricane and zapped the drive on my PS4.  It wouldn't reboot and I had to upload a system reinstall, which deleted everything I saved on it.

Of the current games...I'd have to say the Last of Us.  Aside from it being a great game, it was challenging without being oppressively so, while also being emotionally draining.  After I got done with that, I had the abiding sense I had to earn every single accomplishment.

3.  Which game did you find least satisfying to beat?  Why?  Probably L.A. Noir-even though I beat it on PS3, it is now available on PS4 in the PS Store, so I still count it as a current game.  It was fun to play, but the ending was dissatisfying on many levels.  I desperately want to elaborate here, but in the event someone decides to buy the download, I don't want to spoil it.

Metal Gear. The original NES game.

1.  Think back to every video game you have played and not beaten.  If there were one game you played frequently but never beat and now wish you could beat, what game would that be?  Why didn't you beat it?

megaman x . I could never get past the very last boss in the game, the boss before it would eat up all my extra life and I could never get close in damage to take him out.  I really loved that game though and played it through to the end multiple times

2.  Which game did you find the most satisfying to beat?  Why?

Dark souls 2.  My first in the souls series and if you have ever played this you know its a masochistic adventure.  No hand holding, no tutorial, great story that is hidden in the world for you to uncover.

3.  Which game did you find least satisfying to beat?  Why?  

I'm not big on finishing a game I don't like just to say I did.  Probably one of the assassins creed games.  The world is great but by the time you reach 3/4 of the games you are over powered then the story just kind of stops and you have to play the next one for largely the same outcome.
Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

(06-14-2018, 03:20 AM)DarloJAG84 Wrote: Ok...

I really struggled to beat Batman: Arkham Knight.. I ended up getting frustrated and put it back on the shelf. I beat the Cloudburst Tank and then couldn't get any further. I was relatively new to Xbox and gaming in general then, so I put it partly down to that, and being slow on the controller etc. I will pick it back up, though. IT WILL NOT BEAT ME!!

GTAV - This was the first game I'd completed since I was a teenager. It was a lot of fun, not overly hard, but to finish the final heist was a milestone for me. Especially seeing as I got the game over 3 years after it came out.

Destiny 2. I understand I haven't 'beaten' it yet.. but, here's the thing: I was huge into D2 when it came out. It was a new concept to me and only my 3rd ever FPS game. The first being Goldeneye back in 97, then a long time to play a FPS again in 2017 with COD WWII. The main story was great, especially the bits where I could only go it alone because you have to hit a certain milestone to unlock co-op playing. I bought the expansion pack and the first DLC (Mercury) was decent.. then came the second DLC (Mars).. boring. Light level went up too easily, took no time at all to get from player level 25 to 30 and it's an inane grind for no reward.. on top of that, the second DLC campaign took me a few hours tops.. from the main game to where we are now, it's turned boring and repetitive.. this won't come as a surprise to those of you who have played it before. I won't be returning for the September expansion.
DARLO NO!

Come back in September. The September expansion is going to be incredible. Just like with Destiny 1, their fall expansion (The Taken King) really took the game to the next level. I'll be back on that grind come September or a little earlier so I'll hit you up on Xbox.

A game I never beat that still haunts me to this day was a game on Sega genesis that I played with my father as a child. The name of the game was dinosaurs for hire, and my father and I would always get stuck near the end of the game against one of the bosses. I dont think I will ever get a chance to play that game again and it still irks me.

(This post was last modified: 06-15-2018, 05:32 PM by Bullseye.)

(06-14-2018, 02:28 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: A game I never beat that still haunts me to this day was a game on Sega genesis that I played with my father as a child. The name of the game was dinosaurs for hire, and my father and I would always get stuck near the end of the game against one of the bosses. I dont think I will ever get a chance to play that game again and it still irks me.

They now sell retro Sega systems with a bunch of games built-in

Did you know that?  If so, did you check to see if that game is on it?

Edited for English instead of massive typo. That'll teach me not to post from my cell.

I played Arkham Asylum and was close to beating it when lightning zapped my PS3.  I lost my progress on that game, Hitman, and Far Cry 3.

I hope you have since learned that walking away from a game when you are stuck is often one of the best things you can do.  There's been numerous times I got stuck, put the game down sometimes for weeks, only to return and have no problem with the area that stumped me.

(06-14-2018, 02:07 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:

DARLO NO!

Come back in September. The September expansion is going to be incredible. Just like with Destiny 1, their fall expansion (The Taken King) really took the game to the next level. I'll be back on that grind come September or a little earlier so I'll hit you up on Xbox.

I'm afraid not, I'm done now. I'm bored playing Destiny now.. hit me up for any other games, though!

(06-14-2018, 07:49 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

I played Arkham Asylum and was close to beating it when lightning zapped my PS3.  I lost my progress on that game, Hitman, and Far Cry 3.

I hope you have since learned that walking away from a game when you are stuck is often one of the best things you can do.  There's been numerous times I got stuck, put the game down sometimes for weeks, only to return and have no problem with the area that stumped me.

Oh for sure, I'm hoping this will be the case when I pick it up again!
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

1. Riddle of the Sphinx. I never understood how it was supposed to finish. It became so frustrating and confusing, I just no longer cared enough to beat it. Fun to play, not so fun to finish.

2. Punch-Out. OMG was it hard to run the gauntlet until the end. 100% earned.
2b. Knights of the Old Republic. Very replayable, too - same ending but fun to see the very different paths you could take to get there, especially with different abilities.
2c. Current game (well, more current than the other two, LOL) Red Dead Redemption. It had to end that way, though I didn't want it to at the time.

3. GTA series. Only because whenever I get to the end, I don't really want it to end. Plus, even though the endings have a "final boss" difficulty to them - you've already played and completed missions that have higher thrills/higher satisfaction prior to getting *to* the very end. I'd like to see them add unlockable missions after completing the game. Such as opening up flashback missions, side missions, non-main character missions, etc (like Episodes from Liberty City, but something you could earn rather than have to purchase.)
3b. Runner up - the original Halo. As the game got bigger and bigger, towards the end I felt the difficulty actually dropped. You became better equipped and the challenges became a numbers game - just more enemies thrown at you. I was surprised when I had completed the game. That was it?!?

I know you loved Last of Us. I did, too up until the ending. I disagreed with the character's forced decision. So - to me that was just as disappointing as LA Noire ending. I loved both aside from the endings, though - don't get me wrong. I thing both still are must-play/have games.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(This post was last modified: 06-15-2018, 06:01 PM by Bullseye.)

(06-15-2018, 05:08 PM)pirkster Wrote: 1.  Riddle of the Sphinx.  I never understood how it was supposed to finish.  It became so frustrating and confusing, I just no longer cared enough to beat it.  Fun to play, not so fun to finish.

2.  Punch-Out.  OMG was it hard to run the gauntlet until the end.  100% earned.

3b. Runner up - the original Halo.  As the game got bigger and bigger, towards the end I felt the difficulty actually dropped.  You became better equipped and the challenges became a numbers game - just more enemies thrown at you.  I was surprised when I had completed the game.  That was it?!?

I know you loved Last of Us.  I did, too up until the ending.  I disagreed with the character's forced decision.  So - to me that was just as disappointing as LA Noire ending.  I loved both aside from the endings, though - don't get me wrong.  I thing both still are must-play/have games.

1.  Was that the old Atari 2600 Riddle of the Sphinx?  if not, what system?

2.  Is this the stand up arcade game, or Mike Tyson's Punchout?  I actually beat both, and both were quite satisfying.  Both were challenging, very fun to play, and in the case of the stand up arcade game, I did it in front of one of my very good friends who used to root for me to fail at most video games, and he cheered when I beat the champ!  Of course, once you beat Mr. Sandman, they cycled through the opponents again, and Glass joe kicked my butt the second time around.  Punchout was one of those games that just "clicked" with me.

3.  I heard Halo was very easy.

I was only mildly disappointed with the ending of TLOU.  L.A. Noire's ending infuriated me.

BTW, Pirk, did you ever get any of the Far Cry games?

It's funny that most of the games that you guys picked were games that you could save on.  
When I think of not being able to finish games, I think of Castlelvania, Rygar,Mega Man, Metroid.  And other Nintendo games that you had to play all at once.  No saving.
We'd have sleepovers.   We'd leave the Nintendo on all night, and somebody would bump it in the middle of the night, and nobody would want to start over.

It's funny watching YouTube clips of people beating the games (easily) and realizing how close we were.

I still get pumped saving any princess.   The music and fireworks are going off in my head right now.
s
;

;

(06-16-2018, 02:35 PM)Norman Mushari Wrote: It's funny that most of the games that you guys picked were games that you could save on.  
When I think of not being able to finish games, I think of Castlelvania, Rygar,Mega Man, Metroid.  And other Nintendo games that you had to play all at once.  No saving.
We'd have sleepovers.   We'd leave the Nintendo on all night, and somebody would bump it in the middle of the night, and nobody would want to start over.

It's funny watching YouTube clips of people beating the games (easily) and realizing how close we were.

I still get pumped saving any princess.   The music and fireworks are going off in my head right now.
Keen observation.

I consciously tried to limit the games I listed to somewhat recent games.

My video game days date back to pong.  There were any number of games, both arcade and home, in the pre save game era that I wanted to beat but didn't.

Arcade games that fit this discussion include Cliff Hangers.  There was also a football game with a grey monochrome screen with x and o players that you controlled with a trackball.  Home games I didn't mention include Commando.

(06-15-2018, 05:27 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(06-15-2018, 05:08 PM)pirkster Wrote: 1.  Riddle of the Sphinx.  I never understood how it was supposed to finish.  It became so frustrating and confusing, I just no longer cared enough to beat it.  Fun to play, not so fun to finish.

2.  Punch-Out.  OMG was it hard to run the gauntlet until the end.  100% earned.

3b. Runner up - the original Halo.  As the game got bigger and bigger, towards the end I felt the difficulty actually dropped.  You became better equipped and the challenges became a numbers game - just more enemies thrown at you.  I was surprised when I had completed the game.  That was it?!?

I know you loved Last of Us.  I did, too up until the ending.  I disagreed with the character's forced decision.  So - to me that was just as disappointing as LA Noire ending.  I loved both aside from the endings, though - don't get me wrong.  I thing both still are must-play/have games.

1.  Was that the old Atari 2600 Riddle of the Sphinx?  if not, what system?

2.  Is this the stand up arcade game, or Mike Tyson's Punchout?  I actually beat both, and both were quite satisfying.  Both were challenging, very fun to play, and in the case of the stand up arcade game, I did it in front of one of my very good friends who used to root for me to fail at most video games, and he cheered when I beat the champ!  Of course, once you beat Mr. Sandman, they cycled through the opponents again, and Glass joe kicked my butt the second time around.  Punchout was one of those games that just "clicked" with me.

I was only mildly disappointed with the ending of TLOU.  L.A. Noire's ending infuriated me.

Yes... Riddle was 2600.

Mike Tyson/NES was the one I played.  I had forgotten that began as a coin op.  Going back to coin op opens things up even farther... Dragon's Lair was probably the most frustrating/most rewarding to finish.  Some of the cut scenes dropped you in to the next puzzle so fast it was hard to get the timing down and some moves didn't seem to make sense.  But if you could finish it (or watching someone finish it) was a real treat at the time.

Nope, never did get any Far Cry.  I don't think there's only a couple PS4 versions, and I might check them out later as the price drops used.

Contra was a NES game I found pretty rewarding.  Double Dragon was another cooperative game that was a load of fun (Genesis and coin op.)
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(This post was last modified: 06-28-2018, 04:28 PM by Deacon. Edit Reason: Me bein' stoopid. )

1. If there were one game you played frequently but never beat and now wish you could beat, what game would that be?  Why didn't you beat it?

3.  Which game did you find least satisfying to beat?  

***EDIT***

I would also like to put in the original Ninja Gaiden for the NES. I never finished that one either. GREAT game though. Man, I can't even remember why I didn't finish that one.

1. Final Fantasy 8 - A lot of my friends played 7 and they loved it, but for some reason I couldn't get into it. The characters were too "cartoony" and ridiculous. But when 8 came out, it was more to my liking. I would spend hours on that game and I rolled right through it. But! I got to the very end and passed a "no turning back" point and I was ridiculously under-powered for the last boss. She would pretty much one-shot me at will. Maybe I can find a way to replay that one sometime.

2. Bloodborne - This was my first foray into the SoulsBourne arena and the game had me hooked from the beginning. But! That game is hard and it really will spoil other games for you. When I beat that game, I realized that I had finally Got Gud and developed the skills to beat it. Honestly, cannot recommend this game enough.

3. Enslaved; Journey to the West - Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed playing this game. Very good story and a unique set of mechanics, but the ending was just ... meh. I wasn't even upset at it, more like underwhelmed. I wanted more from the end than what I got.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(This post was last modified: 06-21-2018, 06:11 PM by Bullseye.)

(06-19-2018, 02:29 PM)pirkster Wrote:
(06-15-2018, 05:27 PM)Bullseye Wrote: 1.  Was that the old Atari 2600 Riddle of the Sphinx?  if not, what system?

Yes... Riddle was 2600.

Mike Tyson/NES was the one I played.  I had forgotten that began as a coin op.  Going back to coin op opens things up even farther... Dragon's Lair was probably the most frustrating/most rewarding to finish.  Some of the cut scenes dropped you in to the next puzzle so fast it was hard to get the timing down and some moves didn't seem to make sense.  But if you could finish it (or watching someone finish it) was a real treat at the time.

Nope, never did get any Far Cry.  I don't think there's only a couple PS4 versions, and I might check them out later as the price drops used.

Contra was a NES game I found pretty rewarding.  Double Dragon was another cooperative game that was a load of fun (Genesis and coin op.)
Besides the rare sports game that enabled you to play against the computer, or a game like Raiders of the Lost Ark, there was often no beating a 2600 game.  You just played and played with no real end point other than beating fatigue and your previous high score.

Despite these flaws and the obvious graphics limitations, I still had lots of fun with the system.  I have been tempted on occasion to get one of the retro systems, but never pulled the trigger.

(06-21-2018, 08:18 AM)Deacon Wrote:

1. If there were one game you played frequently but never beat and now wish you could beat, what game would that be?  Why didn't you beat it?

3.  Which game did you find least satisfying to beat?  

1. Final Fantasy 8 - A lot of my friends played 7 and they loved it, but for some reason I couldn't get into it. The characters were too "cartoony" and ridiculous. But when 8 came out, it was more to my liking. I would spend hours on that game and I rolled right through it. But! I got to the very end and passed a "no turning back" point and I was ridiculously under-powered for the last boss. She would pretty much one-shot me at will. Maybe I can find a way to replay that one sometime.

2. Bloodborne - This was my first foray into the Dark Souls / From Software arena and the game had me hooked from the beginning. But! That game is hard and it really will spoil other games for you. When I beat that game, I realized that I had finally Got Gud and developed the skills to beat it. Honestly, cannot recommend this game enough.

3. Enslaved; Journey to the West - Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed playing this game. Very good story and a unique set of mechanics, but the ending was just ... meh. I wasn't even upset at it, more like underwhelmed. I wanted more from the end than what I got.
I think I had the same issues with the Final Fantasy series, which is why I didn't buy any of them.

I know you have talked up Bloodborne quite a bit, but I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

Would you describe it as action, horror...or what?

Love me some FF.

Deacon, FF8 is all about the junction system. It's actually easier to beat the game at a lower level because enemies scale. I loved FF8, and FF7 for that matter. I'd say 8 gets the slight edge, but that might be because it was the first one I played. The storyline in 7 is great, but I totally understand the "cartoon" complaints. Looking forward to the remake.

This guide helps tremendously with FF8: https://jegged.com/Games/Final-Fantasy-V...Guide.html
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS