Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Questions Re: Beating Video Games

Never beat: Aladdin and Lion King (Genesis and SNES). These were kids games and both had extremely difficult levels that I could never get past and as a kid I became frustrated and quit on em. As an adult... the kids games are harder than I remember lol (I can merc in COD and can't jump over a hole in Mario anymore)

Most satisfying finish: Zelda: OoT, easily my favorite Zelda game of the entire series (although I admit, I haven't played anything in the series after Majoras Mask, I've seen others play some like Twilight Princess). The story was great, plenty of gameplay and final boss/end story was classic Zelda/Nintendo, during my adolescent years.

Least satisfying finish: As much of a fan as I am of the Call of Duty games... the campaigns are always too short. Almost always leaving me with a "that's it?" finish.
Every single one I've played from Black Ops thru WWII

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-21-2018, 06:06 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(06-19-2018, 02:29 PM)pirkster Wrote: ...
Besides the rare sports game that enabled you to play against the computer, or a game like Raiders of the Lost Ark, there was often no beating a 2600 game.  You just played and played with no real end point other than beating fatigue and your previous high score.

Despite these flaws and the obvious graphics limitations, I still had lots of fun with the system.  I have been tempted on occasion to get one of the retro systems, but never pulled the trigger.

(06-21-2018, 08:18 AM)Deacon Wrote: A well thought-out and written post with tons of wit, emotion, empathy and all around goodguy-ness that just leaves ya wanting more.
I think I had the same issues with the Final Fantasy series, which is why I didn't buy any of them.

I know you have talked up Bloodborne quite a bit, but I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

Would you describe it as action, horror...or what?

I've heard Bloodborne described as "If Dark Souls is a love letter to Berserk, then Bloodborne is a poem written to Lovecraft" and I agree with that. It is dark, macabre and hints at things that are unsettling. The game is creepy with "jump back!" moments and "Oooohhhh shhhhiiiiiiitttt" scenes to spare. 

One thing the story is not going to be though is wrapped up in a neat, tidy bow at the end. And not in the sense of "well, I'll just wait for the sequel I guess" either. More like "there are other parts of the story left, aren't there? Because, what about [that guy/thing/place]?" It is incomplete with a deep sense of a dark past that I love. 

The game play is stamina based and that is only a part of what makes it so much fun to me. You can't wade in and start swinging and just decimate the bad guys. Nor can you just strike, block and then back away; You'll be chewed up underneath the more aggressive opponents and it'll feel like they haven't even broken a sweat. 

And I haven't even talked about the scenery and visualizations in the game. Just walking through Byrgenwerth is a site for the eyes!

Have I gushed enough yet?
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Mannnnn... I'll have to come back to you on all of these questions. And I need to go through all the comments in this thread too. I'll come back to this one. I like it.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 06-26-2018, 03:56 PM by Caldrac.)

Never beat: Super Ghouls & Ghosts - SNES - I was practically a baby playing that game back in the early 90's. It was always difficult to get through. Very frustrating at times. I actually still enjoy watching people play this game from time to time through Youtube or Twitch. Especially the speed run challenges. But as a kid I was pulling my hair out and flipping tables over it. Really liked it though. I am giving Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy XII & Chrono Cross honorable mentions here. I never finished either of those titles due to timing and age on my end or a bad disc that wouldn't read properly as well.

Most satisfying finish: Vagrant Story - This game has always been intriguing to me even now as an adult. I've always enjoyed the world of final fantasy from Squaresoft but it was very fun playing as Ashley Riot with it being set in Ivalice (Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy XII connection). At the time it was challenging, it was innovative, the art style and combat system was a very interesting and rapid departure from what Squaresoft had been doing leading up to the release of this game. But between the OST, the character development, the crafting system, the mini challenges and rewards and replay value. Such a great game to finish. It's satisfying leading Ashley to the end of his journey. I got really drawn in when they revealed what happened to his son and wife. That was a shocking moment for me. I had never seen anything like that in a game before. Giving Final Fantasy Tactics an honorable mention here as well. Wonderful game. I've put many hours into it off and on over the years. Just a treasure trove of replay value. 

Least satisfying finish: Final Fantasy VIII - This game was fun. I really liked the draw system, the OST and the GF system. But the story seemed rushed and just really, really messy once you made it past disc two. And the ending till this day doesn't make much sense to me and even though the writer shot down the "Squall is dead" theory. I personally feel that if you go into the game or reflect on the game. It actually makes more sense that Squall ended up dying during the failed assassination attempt on Edea before ending disc one or disc two. It just seems odd overall. The time jumps, the orphanage connection with the main cast, Cid & Edea being linked to them as well. None of it really adds up. BUT...if you technically killed the main character in Squall and all of this craziness ensues in some weird way of him trying to process his own death. In my opinion, it puts a great spin on all of the events that followed afterwards. 

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 06-26-2018, 04:21 PM by Caldrac.)

(06-21-2018, 06:42 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Love me some FF.

Deacon, FF8 is all about the junction system. It's actually easier to beat the game at a lower level because enemies scale. I loved FF8, and FF7 for that matter. I'd say 8 gets the slight edge, but that might be because it was the first one I played. The storyline in 7 is great, but I totally understand the "cartoon" complaints. Looking forward to the remake.

This guide helps tremendously with FF8: https://jegged.com/Games/Final-Fantasy-V...Guide.html

I honestly am not looking forward to the remake of VII because it's going to be utilized more than likely on the same system and set-up that they have now for FFXV. I have XV. It's fun... to an extent. It get's very boring very quickly though and I stopped playing it probably after about 30 - 40 in game hours invested into it. And what really bothers me about Squarenix is that ever since Squaresoft and Enix merged. The overall feel, nostalgia and progressive stories have seemed to diminish and become watered down. 

Too many damn micro transactions and side quests too. I hate the fighting system in XIII, XIII-2 and XV. XII they really started going in that direction and it took awhile to adjust to it but it seemed like you had more control. Nowadays it's just all about the graphics and less about the mechanics. Very disappointed in the direction they've gone as of late. And they keep sticking to Final Fantasy which is great. But it would be nice to see the Chrono Trigger/Cross series get a face lift or new addition to the series. Or maybe bring back Final Fantasy Tactics onto consoles instead of regulating it into a cartoony game geared towards kids that still like to carry around a damn Nintendo 3DS everywhere. Even Parasite Eve or Xenogears should be considered going forward by Squarenix.

Not a big gammer I just wandered in here on a whim but I got to thinking about it,

Game I never finished I might get the name wrong jet force gemini on N64. I remember as a kid spending countless hours collecting what we called the gummy people lol. I don't know why I never finished it?

Best finish was also on the N64 star fox 64 I unlocked everything and all the extra worlds.

Sometime later I got into stratgy games like star craft on the PC and never went back to story games.

I got a PS4 now but I've never played a game on it, my kids play it all day but I've only used it to stream stuff. Shame some of the games now look amazing (last time I played any sort of video game was on a Xbox 360) but I just can never find the down time.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(06-26-2018, 07:55 PM)EricC85 Wrote: Not a big gammer I just wandered in here on a whim but I got to thinking about it,

Game I never finished I might get the name wrong jet force gemini on N64. I remember as a kid spending countless hours collecting what we called the gummy people lol. I don't know why I never finished it?

Best finish was also on the N64 star fox 64 I unlocked everything and all the extra worlds.

Sometime later I got into stratgy games like star craft on the PC and never went back to story games.

I got a PS4 now but I've never played a game on it, my kids play it all day but I've only used it to stream stuff. Shame some of the games now look amazing (last time I played any sort of video game was on a Xbox 360) but I just can never find the down time.

The lack of a save feature really pissed me off on SF64
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(06-26-2018, 04:17 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(06-21-2018, 06:42 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Love me some FF.

Deacon, FF8 is all about the junction system. It's actually easier to beat the game at a lower level because enemies scale. I loved FF8, and FF7 for that matter. I'd say 8 gets the slight edge, but that might be because it was the first one I played. The storyline in 7 is great, but I totally understand the "cartoon" complaints. Looking forward to the remake.

This guide helps tremendously with FF8: https://jegged.com/Games/Final-Fantasy-V...Guide.html

I honestly am not looking forward to the remake of VII because it's going to be utilized more than likely on the same system and set-up that they have now for FFXV. I have XV. It's fun... to an extent. It get's very boring very quickly though and I stopped playing it probably after about 30 - 40 in game hours invested into it. And what really bothers me about Squarenix is that ever since Squaresoft and Enix merged. The overall feel, nostalgia and progressive stories have seemed to diminish and become watered down. 

Too many damn micro transactions and side quests too. I hate the fighting system in XIII, XIII-2 and XV. XII they really started going in that direction and it took awhile to adjust to it but it seemed like you had more control. Nowadays it's just all about the graphics and less about the mechanics. Very disappointed in the direction they've gone as of late. And they keep sticking to Final Fantasy which is great. But it would be nice to see the Chrono Trigger/Cross series get a face lift or new addition to the series. Or maybe bring back Final Fantasy Tactics onto consoles instead of regulating it into a cartoony game geared towards kids that still like to carry around a damn Nintendo 3DS everywhere. Even Parasite Eve or Xenogears should be considered going forward by Squarenix.

FFXV was actually the first one I've really enjoyed in a long time. However, you're right with the FFVII remake. Not sure how that combat system will play into it. The nostalgia factor may override that, but the fact that they're essentially making each disc into a stand alone game is concerning  

As for additional series, I'd love a remake/expansion to the Legend of Dragoon series. That game is criminally under rated.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(06-26-2018, 10:12 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(06-26-2018, 07:55 PM)EricC85 Wrote: Not a big gammer I just wandered in here on a whim but I got to thinking about it,

The lack of a save feature really pissed me off on SF64

Lol that was the best part you had you five lives and that was it man! If I didn't make through the first five planets with all my lives I knew I wasn't going to beat it that day.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(This post was last modified: 06-27-2018, 11:51 AM by Caldrac.)

(06-26-2018, 10:18 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(06-26-2018, 04:17 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I honestly am not looking forward to the remake of VII because it's going to be utilized more than likely on the same system and set-up that they have now for FFXV. I have XV. It's fun... to an extent. It get's very boring very quickly though and I stopped playing it probably after about 30 - 40 in game hours invested into it. And what really bothers me about Squarenix is that ever since Squaresoft and Enix merged. The overall feel, nostalgia and progressive stories have seemed to diminish and become watered down. 

FFXV was actually the first one I've really enjoyed in a long time. However, you're right with the FFVII remake. Not sure how that combat system will play into it. The nostalgia factor may override that, but the fact that they're essentially making each disc into a stand alone game is concerning  

As for additional series, I'd love a remake/expansion to the Legend of Dragoon series. That game is criminally under rated.

Oh man. Legend of Dragoon. That's another classic. I love that game and OST too. Couldn't finish it though. My disc would freeze or skip during one of the CGI's later on in the game. Was a major pisser. I've debated on buying that on the PS4 through the store and trying to give it another go. The combat system with the links and chains with each character's combinations was very, very cool at the time and it was fun learning how to get into a rhythm. 

Definitely underrated. I think what hurt it and SONY at the time just a little bit was the fact that they were showing up too late on the PS1 with the PS2 already either being announced or close to being out on the market in the matter of months. And by then everyone was excited because I believe they had a pretty substantial amount of games to buy along with the actual release of the system.

Jet Force Gemini is awesome. I played it for a minute or two but I recall my dad absolutely putting tons of hours into that game.

Jet Force Gemini was fun as hell. An arcade version for Xbox would be amazing.

I've been powering through Dragon Age Origins recently. Which is a major "never beat" for me. And I just found out today that Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, was remastered on PS4, which again, is another major "never beat" game for me. So those are probably my 2 main focus now.

Probably a "most satisfying" beat is also The Last Remnant. Not bc it was particularly great (it was an ok generic RPG) but because I got that damn thing to 100% completion. Every achievement. This game was nuts. You HAD to power level on a very specific way or the game was next to impossible. I spent a good 100 hours just power leveling the same way over and over. I'd leave my 360 on overnight during long boss fights. When I finally got that 100% achievement, it was the biggest sigh of relief/joy ever.

Not quite the same satisfaction as UC4. It was different, but still oh so sweet.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 06-28-2018, 11:43 PM by Bullseye.)

(06-26-2018, 03:50 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Never beat: Super Ghouls & Ghosts - SNES - I was practically a baby playing that game back in the early 90's. It was always difficult to get through. Very frustrating at times. I actually still enjoy watching people play this game from time to time through Youtube or Twitch. Especially the speed run challenges. But as a kid I was pulling my hair out and flipping tables over it. Really liked it though. I am giving Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy XII & Chrono Cross honorable mentions here. I never finished either of those titles due to timing and age on my end or a bad disc that wouldn't read properly as well.

Most satisfying finish: Vagrant Story - This game has always been intriguing to me even now as an adult. I've always enjoyed the world of final fantasy from Squaresoft but it was very fun playing as Ashley Riot with it being set in Ivalice (Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy XII connection). At the time it was challenging, it was innovative, the art style and combat system was a very interesting and rapid departure from what Squaresoft had been doing leading up to the release of this game. But between the OST, the character development, the crafting system, the mini challenges and rewards and replay value. Such a great game to finish. It's satisfying leading Ashley to the end of his journey. I got really drawn in when they revealed what happened to his son and wife. That was a shocking moment for me. I had never seen anything like that in a game before. Giving Final Fantasy Tactics an honorable mention here as well. Wonderful game. I've put many hours into it off and on over the years. Just a treasure trove of replay value. 

Least satisfying finish: Final Fantasy VIII - This game was fun. I really liked the draw system, the OST and the GF system. But the story seemed rushed and just really, really messy once you made it past disc two. And the ending till this day doesn't make much sense to me and even though the writer shot down the "Squall is dead" theory. I personally feel that if you go into the game or reflect on the game. It actually makes more sense that Squall ended up dying during the failed assassination attempt on Edea before ending disc one or disc two. It just seems odd overall. The time jumps, the orphanage connection with the main cast, Cid & Edea being linked to them as well. None of it really adds up. BUT...if you technically killed the main character in Squall and all of this craziness ensues in some weird way of him trying to process his own death. In my opinion, it puts a great spin on all of the events that followed afterwards. 
I never played any of these games, though I recall hearing a lot about Ghouls and Ghosts back in the day.

For me, other games that fall into the satisfying finishes category include:

1.  The first Uncharted game.  Even though beating the final boss for me was easier than getting to him, I left that game being blown away by the whole thing.  I got the sense that it was more an interactive movie than a video game.  The transitions and animations were seamless, and the story was so well written, I was left shaking my head in amazement.

2.  The first Tecmo Super Bowl game.  Not Tecmo Bowl.  That was a blast to play.  But I'm talking the one circa 1992 that had the full league schedule and a save game feature.  Without question, the gold standard in video game football before modern day Madden games.

3.  X-Men for Sega Genesis.  For its time, it was a game with a good story and good graphics, and good game play too.  As a comics fan, I like they seemed to take the material seriously and designed the game accordingly.

4.  Jumpman for Commodore 64.  Thirty levels of platform jumping, including an invisible level, and my buddy telling me I'd never get to/beat all thirty levels.  'Nuff said.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(06-28-2018, 10:14 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I've been powering through Dragon Age Origins recently. Which is a major "never beat" for me. And I just found out today that Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, was remastered on PS4, which again, is another major "never beat" game for me. So those are probably my 2 main focus now.

When I first got my PS4, I did research about which games to get.  Dragon Age Origins was on that list, but I decided to get Witcher 3 instead.  I love Witcher 3 even though I still haven't come close to beating it.  How did you like DA O?  How would you compare it to Witcher 3?

I thought about making this into an entirely new thread, but since it's about beating video games, I decided to add these questions here.

These questions involve, for lack of better phrasing, video game ethics.

If you get off to a bad start in a game do you have any qualms about re-starting the game? For example, if you are playing Madden, and because you hit the wrong button on a pass play, you end up throwing a pick 6, do you play through or would you restart the game? Why?

If it is a sports game, if it became obvious you were going to lose, would you restart then to keep the loss off your record or play through the schedule? Would your answer change if it were a playoff game? What about a computer opponent vs. an online opponent or a friend at your house?

Do you buy/use video game guides?

Do you have any problems using "cheat codes" in games that give you things like unlimited lives, ammo, invulnerability, etc?

If you get stuck, do you have any qualms about going online and looking at a walk through?

If you believe in "going it alone" without any help of any kind, why?

(06-28-2018, 11:47 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(06-28-2018, 10:14 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I've been powering through Dragon Age Origins recently. Which is a major "never beat" for me. And I just found out today that Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, was remastered on PS4, which again, is another major "never beat" game for me. So those are probably my 2 main focus now.

When I first got my PS4, I did research about which games to get.  Dragon Age Origins was on that list, but I decided to get Witcher 3 instead.  I love Witcher 3 even though I still haven't come close to beating it.  How did you like DA O?  How would you compare it to Witcher 3?

They're different. DA:O is the xbox 360/ps2 original. It's a fun game, one of the better RPGs of the time. Lore is awesome. It really doesn't compare to Witcher 3. W3 is graphically and mechanically far superior.

Dragon Age Inquisition probably compares much better to W3. I like the combat in DAI more, and it's nice having a party of 4 like more traditional RPGs. W3 is an amazing game, and it's hard for me to put much above it. The lore of DA is better and deeper IMO, but the side quests get boring. W3 is the whole package and rarely gets boring at any point even when side questing. The vampire DLC is just fantastic.

As for overall game, I'd go W3
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(06-28-2018, 11:58 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I thought about making this into an entirely new thread, but since it's about beating video games, I decided to add these questions here.

If you get off to a bad start in a game do you have any qualms about re-starting the game?  For example, if you are playing Madden, and because you hit the wrong button on a pass play, you end up throwing a pick 6, do you play through or would you restart the game?  Why?  

If it is a sports game, if it became obvious you were going to lose, would you restart then to keep the loss off your record or play through the schedule?  Would your answer change if it were a playoff game?  What about a computer opponent vs. an online opponent or a friend at your house?

Do you have any problems using "cheat codes" in games that give you things like unlimited lives, ammo, invulnerability, etc?

If you get stuck, do you have any qualms about going online and looking at a walk through?

Bad start? Deal with it... regroup and face the challenge. I haven't restarted or shut down a game due to mistake or bad play since I was a child.
Piggybacking off what I already said, CPU or Human opponent doesn't matter. I think it's bad form to quit because you're getting beat. In the video game world, there is always another game (or life or continue or whatever)

I do not use guides (not since getting stuck in Chrono Trigger on an SNES emulator in the early 2000s) they are expensive and I'm not a "gotta get 100% completion" type player. I'm a "gotta beat the game" guy... and for that, I don't need no stinkin guide.

Cheat codes are for after you've beaten the game. Especially GTA series.

I go it alone for solo RPG types and but for multi-player FPS type games I really prefer working together with people that communicate.
As for help from guides and walkthroughs... just takes a little of the fun and accomplishment away if you are getting someone else to tell you how to beat a game, imo.

(This post was last modified: 07-03-2018, 09:36 AM by Deacon. Edit Reason: Me bein' stoopid. )

(06-28-2018, 11:58 PM)Bullseye Wrote: ...

If you get off to a bad start in a game do you have any qualms about re-starting the game? Why?  

Very rarely will I re-start a game. I have been known to create a new profile to try the game from a different angle which may be seen as the same thing, but I usually will go back and button up all of the profiles.

Yes I buy used games. I am not a need-it-right-now player so I have no problem in waiting a bit and saving myself twenty bucks on a game.

I may use cheat codes on a re-play, but I want the purest experience of the game I can get.

Hey, we all need help from time to time right?
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(06-28-2018, 11:58 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I thought about making this into an entirely new thread, but since it's about beating video games, I decided to add these questions here.

If you get off to a bad start in a game do you have any qualms about re-starting the game?  For example, if you are playing Madden, and because you hit the wrong button on a pass play, you end up throwing a pick 6, do you play through or would you restart the game?  Why?  

If it is a sports game, if it became obvious you were going to lose, would you restart then to keep the loss off your record or play through the schedule?  Would your answer change if it were a playoff game?  What about a computer opponent vs. an online opponent or a friend at your house?

If it is early on in a game, I will restart if I do a dumb.  If I've already blown 30 minutes of time playing, and do something to set my progress backward, I usually just write it off as a whoops, and play through.  I don't sit down for marathon sessions much any more, so that time played is likely more important than perfection.

Walk throughs and cheats are only used when games are enjoyable to play in spite of the frustration of not being able to do something without help.  I won't give up easily, but if I'm stuck, I'm not afraid of peeking at an answer key, so to speak. If a game is so tough I can't beat it and it's frustrating the heck out of me, I usually just put the game down or move on to a different game.

(This post was last modified: 06-29-2018, 04:30 PM by Bullseye.)

(06-29-2018, 12:08 PM)Deacon Wrote:
(06-28-2018, 11:58 PM)Bullseye Wrote: ...

If you get off to a bad start in a game do you have any qualms about re-starting the game? Why?  

Very rarely will I re-start a game. I have been known to create a new profile to try the game from a different angle which may be seen as the same thing, but I usually will go back and button up all of the profiles.

Yes I buy used games. I am not a need-it-right-now player so I have no problem in waiting a bit and saving myself twenty bucks on a game.

I may use cheat codes on a re-play, but I want the purest experience of the game I can get.

Hey, we all need help from time to time right?

I think you misread my question.

Do you utilize game guides to help you beat a game?

(This post was last modified: 06-29-2018, 08:05 PM by imtheblkranger.)

Ok:

Bad start? Sometimes. I generally don't play seasons on Madden so I'll restart a game if "the game is cheating" lol I've restarted RPGs where I've realized decisions I've made have royally screwed me or if I'm disappointed with the build I've made. 

I never quit if I'm playing with/against a real person.

I bought a few guides back in the PSX/N64 days, not anymore. 

As Kane said, cheat codes are fair game after you've beaten it, especially in GTA. 

I'll look up a walkthrough from time to time. It depends. If it's an older game in my backlog that I'm trying to power through, I'll look up stuff like door passwords and such if I can't find it in a reasonable time. If it's a new game, something like Witcher 3, I only use it if I've been sitting there for hours and am still stuck. Usually going to do a few side quests to "reset" my brain works on it's own. 

I definitely prefer to go it alone most of the time. Which is a reason I love Bethesda. I like playing with a close group of friends in games like COD, or a little more loose feeling game like Far Cry or Borderlands, but I generally prefer the single player RPG route.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS