Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Family Sep. Bleeding Heart Tour

(07-01-2018, 07:06 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-01-2018, 06:59 PM)copycat Wrote: Who are you trying to impress?

No one. 
I'm just trying to mediate,bring people together, so they rise above saying "No U! Maybe a little bit me but mostly u!"

Good luck with that. I don't even mean that in a bad way. What you hope will happen just won't. But I like your enthusiasm.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I’m feeling rather unfalsifiably postulated myself.

Tongue

(07-02-2018, 05:46 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I’m feeling rather unfalsifiably postulated myself.

Tongue

Try some pepto bismo.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

Unfalsifiable Postulation would be a great band name.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-02-2018, 05:46 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I’m feeling rather unfalsifiably postulated myself.

Tongue

There's probably a pill for that.  Big Grin

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-02-2018, 11:07 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:

Tongue

There's probably a pill for that.  Big Grin

I think it’s blue.

(07-01-2018, 06:59 PM)copycat Wrote:
(07-01-2018, 06:31 PM)mikesez Wrote: Most of us only pay attention to the worst and most implausible things said by politicians of the other party.
meanwhile we excuse or ignore the impossible things said by politicians of our own party and focus on the good things that they say.
only a person who is totally outside of this country could really be a fair observer of which side has a closer grasp on rationality.
Rationality only gets you so far though.
There are always unfalsifiable postulates.
a statement does not have to be universally or undeniably true to be rational.
You may hear a Democrat say something, which is based on an unfalsifiable postulate, such as "spreading the wealth around makes everyone better off," and then you'll say that's nonsense this guy is not in touch with reality. But even though it doesn't make sense to you at a gut level you cannot prove that it is wrong. you can point to other countries it seem to have cried this kind of thing and failed, but these were not controlled experiments and there were many other things going on than the government trying to make a more equitable distribution of income or wealth. also the countries of Northern Europe seem to have tried this kind of thing and made it work pretty well. so as long as what the guy is saying is consistent with the unfalsifiable belief that he holds he is speaking rationally. meanwhile you'll hear people on your side say things like "having the government leave it alone is the best possible thing." This is also not falsifiable and if you don't hold this belief, the things that come after it, like "just let the rich keep more of their money and they'll spend it on making poor people employed" might sound crazy to you. But it makes sense if you've embraced the idea that the less government does, the better.

Who are you trying to impress?

He might be using 50 cent words, but he's not wrong. Logic and philosophy has been under-emphasized in our country for over a half-century. Personally, I think it's a major contributor to "team" politics, but we could make an entirely separate thread about that. Imo, politics should be defined by goals. Unfortunately, we spend more time talking about policies. Only when the goal is clear can we decide if the policies are being effective.

(07-02-2018, 03:12 PM)Last42min Wrote:
(07-01-2018, 06:59 PM)copycat Wrote: Who are you trying to impress?

He might be using 50 cent words, but he's not wrong. Logic and philosophy has been under-emphasized in our country for over a half-century. Personally, I think it's a major contributor to "team" politics, but we could make an entirely separate thread about that. Imo, politics should be defined by goals. Unfortunately, we spend more time talking about policies. Only when the goal is clear can we decide if the policies are being effective.

Or one could say:

"This party first politics needs to end.  We need to recognize that we have more in common than not and build a foundation from there.  We all want the same things, a decent wage,  to be treated fairly, a safe environment to raise our kids and a secure future.  Can we not all agree this is our collective goal, now how do we get there?"

Mike is correct, you are correct and no one had to look up a phrase that in my 50 plus years on the planet have never heard.  Know your audience.  This is a football message board for crying out loud not a Harvard debate forum.  

No offense to either of you.  Rant over.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.