Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trump DOJ reopens Emmitt Till case

https://www.apnews.com/719f1c4c2daf4d72a720d56000ccacda

It's possible information gathered for 2017 book may help link existing evidence.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I love how obsessed Trump is with doing right by black people who died decades ago while [BLEEP] on today's minorities.

(07-13-2018, 04:11 PM)TJBender Wrote: I love how obsessed Trump is with doing right by black people who died decades ago while [BLEEP] on today's minorities.

Care to give examples?

(07-13-2018, 04:58 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(07-13-2018, 04:11 PM)TJBender Wrote: I love how obsessed Trump is with doing right by black people who died decades ago while [BLEEP] on today's minorities.

Care to give examples?

I wish I could just ignore, or call fake, everything that makes me uncomfortable. It's actually a little enviable how the reich wing is able to be so willfully ignorant and intentionally obtuse solely so they can feel better about their struggle to hold onto a sad way of life that the world has passed by.

(07-13-2018, 05:49 PM)boudreaumw Wrote:
(07-13-2018, 04:58 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: Care to give examples?

I wish I could just ignore, or call fake, everything that makes me uncomfortable. It's actually a little enviable how the reich wing is able to be so willfully ignorant and intentionally obtuse solely so they can feel better about their struggle to hold onto a sad way of life that the world has passed by.

So you're saying that there are no examples.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(07-13-2018, 05:53 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(07-13-2018, 05:49 PM)boudreaumw Wrote: I wish I could just ignore, or call fake, everything that makes me uncomfortable. It's actually a little enviable how the reich wing is able to be so willfully ignorant and intentionally obtuse solely so they can feel better about their struggle to hold onto a sad way of life that the world has passed by.

So you're saying that there are no examples.

That's pretty much what it sounds like to me.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Lowest minority unemployment in ages because Trump is a white supremacist. Classic lefty delusion. Sad.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

"reich wing",   Laughing

And yet he wants to be taken seriously (wiping away tears of laughter).

(07-13-2018, 05:49 PM)boudreaumw Wrote:

So... no examples?

(07-13-2018, 06:26 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Lowest minority unemployment in ages because Trump is a white supremacist. Classic lefty delusion. Sad.

Did he personally hire those folks?
Cuz if he didn't it sounds like a coincidence that has nothing to do with whether or not anyone in the White House is or is not racist.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(07-13-2018, 06:26 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Lowest minority unemployment in ages because Trump is a white supremacist. Classic lefty delusion. Sad.

I'm not saying Trump is a white supremacist or Nazi, but what does that have to do with minority unemployment?
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(07-13-2018, 04:58 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:

Care to give examples?

Sure.  The new DoJ has suspended "pattern and practices" investigations and is relaxing enforcement of existing consent decrees. 
We were making good progress making sure that police practices weren't tainted by racial bias.  Now we are not.

(07-14-2018, 09:17 AM)mikesez Wrote:

Sure.  The new DoJ has suspended "pattern and practices" investigations and is relaxing enforcement of existing consent decrees. 
We were making good progress making sure that police practices weren't tainted by racial bias.  Now we are not.

It is not that simple and you know it.  Was the individual patted down because they were black or dressed in 'colors' and acting suspicious?  Both sides will have their opinion.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(07-14-2018, 09:53 AM)copycat Wrote:
(07-14-2018, 09:17 AM)mikesez Wrote: Sure.  The new DoJ has suspended "pattern and practices" investigations and is relaxing enforcement of existing consent decrees. 

It is not that simple and you know it.  Was the individual patted down because they were black or dressed in 'colors' and acting suspicious?  Both sides will have their opinion.

Pattern and practice investigations indeed are not simple. 
They consider thousands of interactions between cops and civilians. The question you asked has to be asked thousands of individual times.

(07-14-2018, 09:17 AM)mikesez Wrote:

While I'm not a fan of those types of encounters, I don't believe any of that is racially motivated. When the highest crime areas are minorities, you're going to have more interactions with minorities.

Besides, haven't shown where those investigations have negatively specifically minority communities and how Trump's DoJ (is it really his though?) made it worse. They follow the crime. They're not interested in giving black people a hard time just because.

(This post was last modified: 07-14-2018, 02:10 PM by mikesez.)

(07-14-2018, 11:55 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(07-14-2018, 09:17 AM)mikesez Wrote: Sure.  The new DoJ has suspended "pattern and practices" investigations and is relaxing enforcement of existing consent decrees. 

While I'm not a fan of those types of encounters, I don't believe any of that is racially motivated. When the highest crime areas are minorities, you're going to have more interactions with minorities.

Besides, haven't shown where those investigations have negatively specifically minority communities and how Trump's DoJ (is it really his though?) made it worse. They follow the crime. They're not interested in giving black people a hard time just because.

Did you read the DoJ report about the Ferguson MO police department?

Here's what the conservative blog RedState had to say about it:
"Even if you read only the parts of the Ferguson DOJ report that come directly from the files of the FPD (which is to say, files that would be most favorable to the Department), the report paints an incredibly damning picture of the Ferguson Police Department"

https://www.redstate.com/leon_h_wolf/201...oj-report/

DoJ is no longer trying to find which departments lose sight of their mission like this. The problem didn't go away. We just decided to stop looking for it.

(07-14-2018, 02:06 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-14-2018, 11:55 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: While I'm not a fan of those types of encounters, I don't believe any of that is racially motivated. When the highest crime areas are minorities, you're going to have more interactions with minorities.

Did you read the DoJ report about the Ferguson MO police department?

"Even if you read only the parts of the Ferguson DOJ report that come directly from the files of the FPD (which is to say, files that would be most favorable to the Department), the report paints an incredibly damning picture of the Ferguson Police Department"

DoJ is no longer trying to find which departments lose sight of their mission like this.  The problem didn't go away.  We just decided to stop looking for it.

Well, I thought we were talking about Trump's negative influence on minorities, and that example doesn't prove anything. You haven't show a current, modern-day problem created by the Trump DoJ on minority communities. You're speculating here. 

We've gone over Ferguson several times here, so I'm not going to derail this thread too much. The point made in the article you quoted essentially focuses on speculation that the policies in Ferguson can potentially lead to corruption, and because minorities receive the brunt of their attention, then they're basically corrupt or biased. It ignores demographics of the community and makes a lot of assumptions. 

The point, however, was to show how Trump is creating these problems. Ferguson is a [BLEEP] hole. The problem was never with the police department. It was with the community. Needlessly targeting and searching for corruption is a waste of time and money since it isn't as frequent as you think it is. Punish it when you find it or investigate it when there's suspicion, but Trump ending that search is practical because nothing mentioned in that article showed the police department's attack on minorities which is the point you're trying to make about Trump.

(07-14-2018, 02:37 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(07-14-2018, 02:06 PM)mikesez Wrote: Did you read the DoJ report about the Ferguson MO police department?

DoJ is no longer trying to find which departments lose sight of their mission like this.  The problem didn't go away.  We just decided to stop looking for it.

Well, I thought we were talking about Trump's negative influence on minorities, and that example doesn't prove anything. You haven't show a current, modern-day problem created by the Trump DoJ on minority communities. You're speculating here. 

We've gone over Ferguson several times here, so I'm not going to derail this thread too much. The point made in the article you quoted essentially focuses on speculation that the policies in Ferguson can potentially lead to corruption, and because minorities receive the brunt of their attention, then they're basically corrupt or biased. It ignores demographics of the community and makes a lot of assumptions. 

The point, however, was to show how Trump is creating these problems. Ferguson is a [BLEEP] hole. The problem was never with the police department. It was with the community. Needlessly targeting and searching for corruption is a waste of time and money since it isn't as frequent as you think it is. Punish it when you find it or investigate it when there's suspicion, but Trump ending that search is practical because nothing mentioned in that article showed the police department's attack on minorities which is the point you're trying to make about Trump.

You're right that I haven't submitted evidence that Trump's action of stopping this type of investigation at DoJ has made matters worse.  That's the funny thing about refusing to investigate something, isn't it? That suddenly there's less evidence? Convenient.  

The policies in Ferguson *were* corruption.  It wasn't just that the people stopped or arrested were disproportionately black.  Within the group of people that got stopped, violent escalation was more likely against black suspect.  Reports of leniency or warnings were more frequent with white suspects.
Using court fines to fund a city is corruption.  Having no mechanism for indigent or low income people to do community service in lieu of a fine is corruption.  Quotas for officers to stop, arrest, or fine fixed numbers of people are corruption.
I don't understand what you mean by "the problem isn't the police department but the community." Let's say you're right.  How does one fix that community? Does arresting people for forgetting to mow their lawn sound like a way to improve the community to you?

Those brave enough to #walkaway are free to leave the Democrat plantation.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(07-16-2018, 02:26 PM)pirkster Wrote:

Those brave enough to #walkaway are free to leave the Democrat plantation.

And are better off when they do.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato