Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Random Musings on Training Camp Eve

(This post was last modified: 07-18-2018, 08:53 AM by Kane.)

(07-17-2018, 09:48 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: My focus is on the Patriots game. I'm still sore about last season. I believe this is the year we start hearing calls for Brady to retire and our game will plant that seed.

I just rewatched the AFCCG on NFLN last night...

We were really playing well that game...
Tom frickin' Brady man...

(07-18-2018, 06:53 AM)SamusAranX Wrote: I’m super nervous about a possible 0-3 start. Yeah, you heard me. That’s a killer intro.

You shush yo mouf!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-18-2018, 08:27 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(07-18-2018, 07:13 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: The Dareus effect is huge. This team needs him so bad against the run. Without, team going to get run up and down with those two linebackers in the back (telvin and myles). Don't get me wrong super athetlic guys made for defending the pass... no doubt about it this team has the BEST pass D in the game.. run D though? Without dareus if I'm an enemy team I'm running all game long... where's the big boys?

That being said worst case is Dareus gets a suspendo. Worst case imo, maybe 3-4 games. I don't anticipate that... at all but that's worst case.  But we can't truly know until more details come out. Hopefully it passes and Dareus becomes a major dog in the defense all year long. If not, who the heck going to step up?

To help put his importance into perspective, the Jaguars were one the worst teams vs the run when he signed, but they ended up finishing the season 3rd overall.

From a defensive scheme standpoint... one could argue Dareus might be most important. He makes that much a difference in the run game, and there is no replacement on the roster.

Rookies report today, while the vets don't report until the 25th.

With pads not going on until the 28th, it would seem there is only so much a fan could glean from reports and highlights coming out this week.

With that said, there are a few things I will be on the lookout for during this week.

1. I want to see how well Harrison gets outside from the S position. Whether he is playing single high or in a two deep,, can he protect against deep routes?

2. Does Richardson show any vulnerability against speed? Again, without the pads, it is all but impossible to ascertain this, especially since our best speed rushers don't report yet.

3. Can our new punter actually punt?

4. Does Jacobs show any pass rush/drop ability?

5. Is anyone showing signs of being unprepared? Do they know the schemes and are they in shape?

6. Injuries.

7. Any UDFAs showing promise?

What will you guys listen out for?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Random thoughts

I see 3-1 to start the season's 1st quarter:
@ Giants ....win
Patriots ....lose (but I hope not)
Titans ....win at home
Jets ....win

Undrafted Darius Jackson will earn the Cap Cappy award for the preseason games surprise player that will also be released.

Third round rookie safety Ronnie Harrison will challenge for a starting safety role.

With Bryan learning the strong end as a base position, Michael Bennett has an opening to resurrect his career as Malik's backup. Can he earn it and stay off the IR?

With the uncertainty of Dareus, it is too bad the team does not have the cap (without tapping into the future) to sign still available Johnathan Hankins. No team has been willing to give him the multi-year deal that he is demanding. He is a decent run stuffer.

I am looking forward to seeing the play of Leon Jacobs. However, I do think Blair Brown will do a fine job at SAM if he gets the nod.

(07-18-2018, 01:07 PM)ATLjag Wrote: Random thoughts

@ Giants ....win
Titans ....win at home
Jets ....win

I really feel like we're beating the Patriots, and that they simply won't have an answer for Ngakoue.
'02

(07-19-2018, 04:01 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(07-18-2018, 01:07 PM)ATLjag Wrote: Random thoughts

@ Giants ....win
Titans ....win at home
Jets ....win

I really feel like we're beating the Patriots, and that they simply won't have an answer for Ngakoue.

What if......

The last drive of the game, Cole burns Gilmore for the game winning TD.

And....we beat out the Pats for home field advantage based on the game we beat them?

Sweet revenge.

I mean I understand we were rough against the run in the beginning but that’s gonna happen when you’re so dominant against the pass. They gotta move the ball somehow and it certainly wasn’t through the air.

We weren't that bad against the run until Malik Jackson was injured. We can stop the run without Darius, although I'd rather we didn't have to.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

I just hope he doesn't get slapped with a suspension. I want us at full strength in this 1st quarter of the season.

(07-20-2018, 03:11 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I just hope he doesn't get slapped with a suspension. I want us at full strength in this 1st quarter of the season.

Judging by the Fowler suspension it won't happen until next year if it does come to fruition.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(07-20-2018, 09:26 PM)copycat Wrote:
(07-20-2018, 03:11 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I just hope he doesn't get slapped with a suspension. I want us at full strength in this 1st quarter of the season.

Judging by the Fowler suspension it won't happen until next year if it does come to fruition.

True

(07-17-2018, 09:35 AM)Bullseye Wrote: ...

4.  I will be the first to acknowledge the guys running the Jaguars know way more than message board hacks like me, but I find the decision to make Fournette drop more weight to be curious.  At the 228 or so pounds he played at last year, Fournette displayed breakaway ability, as evidenced in 90 and 75 yard TDs runs.  While the weight loss brings the promise of improved quickness and better conditioning, were those things issues last year?  From my perspective, Fournette was limited by a persistent ankle injury, an interior OL that sometimes did not run block effectively, and opposing 8 man fronts that did not respect the Jaguars passing game and loaded up to stop the run.  Furthermore, I am left to wonder if there would be any negative effect on him.  It seems to me power and physicality is a big part of Fournette's game.  If he has less mass to for an opponent to stop, will he generate less power? (I'm sure physics majors and others more scientifically inclined/competent are cringing at my wording here.)

As Newton stated, Force will cause on object with mass, in our case, a Running Back, to change its velocity. It is defined by multiplying the mass of the object times the acceleration of the object. Power, on the other hand, is the rate of doing work or how much energy is transferred over time.

Due to this, I think you hit the nail on the head. Will Fournette's reduction in mass allow his acceleration to increase thereby maintaining or even increasing his force? Furthermore, will this allow him to do more work over time on a football field? I can't help but think that it will.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(07-25-2018, 09:10 AM)Deacon Wrote:
(07-17-2018, 09:35 AM)Bullseye Wrote: ...

4.  I will be the first to acknowledge the guys running the Jaguars know way more than message board hacks like me, but I find the decision to make Fournette drop more weight to be curious.  At the 228 or so pounds he played at last year, Fournette displayed breakaway ability, as evidenced in 90 and 75 yard TDs runs.  While the weight loss brings the promise of improved quickness and better conditioning, were those things issues last year?  From my perspective, Fournette was limited by a persistent ankle injury, an interior OL that sometimes did not run block effectively, and opposing 8 man fronts that did not respect the Jaguars passing game and loaded up to stop the run.  Furthermore, I am left to wonder if there would be any negative effect on him.  It seems to me power and physicality is a big part of Fournette's game.  If he has less mass to for an opponent to stop, will he generate less power? (I'm sure physics majors and others more scientifically inclined/competent are cringing at my wording here.)

As Newton stated, Force will cause on object with mass, in our case, a Running Back, to change its velocity. It is defined by multiplying the mass of the object times the acceleration of the object. Power, on the other hand, is the rate of doing work or how much energy is transferred over time.

Due to this, I think you hit the nail on the head. Will Fournette's reduction in mass allow his acceleration to increase thereby maintaining or even increasing his force? Furthermore, will this allow him to do more work over time on a football field? I can't help but think that it will.
Well, I defer to you on the scientific clarification.  Thanks.

As for the impact on Fournette, I hope you are right and that Fournette is more durable and more effective overall.

Aside from the ankle injuries, I had no problem with Fournette's performance last year.  I had more of a problem with the interior OL last year.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!