Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Stand Your Ground

There is difference between what is legal and what is right. This incident is a classic example of that.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It wasn't his damn business why they were parked in a handicapped space.

They shouldn't have parked there in the first place but the guy has no valid reason to confront the woman in the car.

(07-30-2018, 11:46 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: It wasn't his damn business why they were parked in a handicapped space.

They shouldn't have parked there in the first place but the guy has no valid reason to confront the woman in the car.

While a large portion of society does typically favor the blind eye, non-confrontational approach, I prefer to address a wrong. As in this scenario, it does open the door to escalation, but it only takes one party with a cool head to avoid out of control escalation. Neither of theses parties processed that. 

Heck, I get annoyed when someone is parked 10 feet from cart return and still leaves it in a parking space or on the curb. And yes, I do call folks out on it with varied responses, most of which are head hanging shame with a side of scurry back to their vehicle.

I disagree...the guy has every right to voice concern and help police the society that he is a part of. Wrong is wrong, no matter who identifies it. It’s the escalation factors beyond verbal confrontation that are the issue.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(07-31-2018, 08:33 AM)B2hibry Wrote:
(07-30-2018, 11:46 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: It wasn't his damn business why they were parked in a handicapped space.

While a large portion of society does typically favor the blind eye, non-confrontational approach, I prefer to address a wrong. As in this scenario, it does open the door to escalation, but it only takes one party with a cool head to avoid out of control escalation. Neither of theses parties processed that. 

Heck, I get annoyed when someone is parked 10 feet from cart return and still leaves it in a parking space or on the curb. And yes, I do call folks out on it with varied responses, most of which are head hanging shame with a side of scurry back to their vehicle.

I disagree...the guy has every right to voice concern and help police the society that he is a part of. Wrong is wrong, no matter who identifies it. It’s the escalation factors beyond verbal confrontation that are the issue.

Was a person's life worth it all? And that kid watching his father die and the others losing their father? 

At one time I would have agreed with what you said because I tend to get aggravated about similar things, but we live in a day and age that, when you do point something out to someone and the next thing you know there's a dead person. You can't assume anymore that people in general aren't thisclose to, as Ozzy said, "going off the rails on the crazy train" and won't have a knee jerk reaction. 

My life is not worth confronting someone over a parking space. And I do believe that what goes around comes around.

(07-31-2018, 09:16 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(07-31-2018, 08:33 AM)B2hibry Wrote: While a large portion of society does typically favor the blind eye, non-confrontational approach, I prefer to address a wrong. As in this scenario, it does open the door to escalation, but it only takes one party with a cool head to avoid out of control escalation. Neither of theses parties processed that. 

Was a person's life worth it all? And that kid watching his father die and the others losing their father? 

At one time I would have agreed with what you said because I tend to get aggravated about similar things, but we live in a day and age that, when you do point something out to someone and the next thing you know there's a dead person. You can't assume anymore that people in general aren't thisclose to, as Ozzy said, "going off the rails on the crazy train" and won't have a knee jerk reaction. 

My life is not worth confronting someone over a parking space. And I do believe that what goes around comes around.
I get it. Some would rather just go in the “not my problem” direction. Even the most minor of confrontation is not my wifes thing. I think the questions you pose are only answerable by those involved who decided to unnecessarily take something simple to the next level. Of course, in this situation, I don’t believe ANYONE needed to suffer.

Unfortunately, in today’s society, there are unstable folks in every environment. Alot of folks live with social anxiety because of the few turds that surround us. We just need to not live in fear, press forward, and live life to the fullest. When time is up, it’s up.

We're all human. We could all do better at knowing when to pick your battles. I think that's what applies best here, yet I'm guilty at times as well. I'm a bit lively with my horn on the road, and FL has their share of poor drivers. If not dead last, we're certainly bottom of the barrel.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(This post was last modified: 07-31-2018, 09:05 PM by Byron LeftTown.)

(07-31-2018, 08:33 AM)B2hibry Wrote: While a large portion of society does typically favor the blind eye, non-confrontational approach, I prefer to address a wrong. As in this scenario, it does open the door to escalation, but it only takes one party with a cool head to avoid out of control escalation. Neither of theses parties processed that. 

Oh boy. Another toy cop, policing private property without the owner's consent or knowledge.
Calling somebody out is escalating the situation.
What do you do when the shopping cart miscreant tells you to get bent?
Do you smile and drive away or do you escalate further?

The way to right this particular wrong is to report the violation to the proper authorities, especially if the parking space isn't needed by anyone else at that moment. That's not taking a blind eye.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(07-31-2018, 05:01 PM)rollerjag Wrote:

The way to right this particular wrong is to report the violation to the proper authorities, especially if the parking space isn't needed by anyone else at that moment. That's not taking a blind eye.

Snap a shot of the tag with your cameraphone or write it down, and make a phone call.

It's not hard.

There are many civil ways of approaching conflict and disagreement.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(07-31-2018, 06:11 PM)pirkster Wrote:
(07-31-2018, 05:01 PM)rollerjag Wrote: The way to right this particular wrong is to report the violation to the proper authorities, especially if the parking space isn't needed by anyone else at that moment. That's not taking a blind eye.

Snap a shot of the tag with your cameraphone or write it down, and make a phone call.

It's not hard.

There are many civil ways of approaching conflict and disagreement.

I agree. I was thinking he could have told the shop employee but they probably wouldn't have cared anyway. Camera shot and reporting it is a better way. It puts the responsibility on the actual authorities where it belongs.

(07-31-2018, 04:19 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote:

Oh boy.  Another toy cop, policing private property without the owner's consent or knowledge.  

Oh boy, another whiner and crier that believes “it’s not my problem”, until it is. See something, say something. Too many people just turn a blind eye. I get it though, some people just aren’t comfortable with any type of confrontation. Luckily, there have been and are folks that don’t mind stepping up to call out those that believe the world revolves around them and the only inconvenience is to themselves. But don’t act like I or anyone drives around for this purpose. That would be an ignorant perspective on your part. I’m still a strong supporter of the good ol’ southern home training mind set though.

Honestly, I haven’t had anyone say anything in return. They usually move it or walk away silently when I or one of my kids grab it as I explain loudly how lazy some people are. My kids now have a habit of grabbing random carts on our way into Publix for example. That does make me smile.

I can fully support this in whole or even after someone brings it to the attention of the offender. I feel as though we are assuming this guy approached the offender in the most aggressive way possible. What would be agressive about stating, “hey ma’am, do you realize you’re parked in a handicap spot?” Because we all know how well marked they can be (sarcasm). Mistakes happen.

The commies called them "useful idiots".

(08-01-2018, 10:23 AM)B2hibry Wrote:
(07-31-2018, 04:19 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: Oh boy.  Another toy cop, policing private property without the owner's consent or knowledge.  

Oh boy, another whiner and crier that believes “it’s not my problem”, until it is. See something, say something. Too many people just turn a blind eye. I get it though, some people just aren’t comfortable with any type of confrontation. Luckily, there have been and are folks that don’t mind stepping up to call out those that believe the world revolves around them and the only inconvenience is to themselves. But don’t act like I or anyone drives around for this purpose. That would be an ignorant perspective on your part. I’m still a strong supporter of the good ol’ southern home training mind set though.

Honestly, I haven’t had anyone say anything in return. They usually move it or walk away silently when I or one of my kids grab it as I explain loudly how lazy some people are. My kids now have a habit of grabbing random carts on our way into Publix for example. That does make me smile.

Based on the evidence and testimonies the shooter was driving around doing exactly this, provoking a situation looking for a chance to be a big man with a gun.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-01-2018, 03:44 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-01-2018, 10:23 AM)B2hibry Wrote: Oh boy, another whiner and crier that believes “it’s not my problem”, until it is. See something, say something. Too many people just turn a blind eye. I get it though, some people just aren’t comfortable with any type of confrontation. Luckily, there have been and are folks that don’t mind stepping up to call out those that believe the world revolves around them and the only inconvenience is to themselves. But don’t act like I or anyone drives around for this purpose. That would be an ignorant perspective on your part. I’m still a strong supporter of the good ol’ southern home training mind set though.

Based on the evidence and testimonies the shooter was driving around doing exactly this, provoking a situation looking for a chance to be a big man with a gun.
Then charges should be filed and his stupidity should be rewarded with a trial. However, Darwin may be in his future if left unchecked.

(08-01-2018, 04:50 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(08-01-2018, 03:44 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Based on the evidence and testimonies the shooter was driving around doing exactly this, provoking a situation looking for a chance to be a big man with a gun.
Then charges should be filed and his stupidity should be rewarded with a trial. However, Darwin may be in his future if left unchecked.

So will charges be filed when the cops called it justifiable?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-01-2018, 05:56 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-01-2018, 04:50 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Then charges should be filed and his stupidity should be rewarded with a trial. However, Darwin may be in his future if left unchecked.

So will charges be filed when the cops called it justifiable?
That’s a question for the Sheriff and DA. Both are taking some heat right now.

(This post was last modified: 08-03-2018, 03:12 PM by JagNGeorgia.)

(07-29-2018, 05:26 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Not sure how the 3rd person in can be the instigator although possibly overreacting.

Someone is dead because they parked in a disabled spot in an empty car park. This is not normal.

(07-29-2018, 10:27 PM)lastonealive Wrote: So if the guy who got shot had shot the guy for threatening his wife/kids would that also have been justified? Interesting

The 3rd person is the instigator because he was the first to use physical force in a situation not requiring it. Someone isn't dead because they parked incorrectly; someone is dead because he decided to attack someone over a verbal argument. It isn't accurate to misrepresent what happened here. You can attribute motive to the reason behind why he decided to confront the female, but you can't say someone is dead because of a parking space.

He wasn't pointing in her face until she willingly got out of the car by the way. He was several feet from the car when he was arguing.

Also, there literally no evidence that the guy was threatening his wife and kids. Arguing with someone isn't de facto threatening and thus justifying an attack. I probably wouldn't have made such a big deal about it, but he has every right to tell her she did something wrong, and I encourage more people to speak out when this stuff happens. Even the female hasn't made claims that the guy was threatening. 

I agree with you.

This blind eye, non-confrontational approach is why people get the police called on them for the most mundane reasons. If more people confronted others about wrongdoings, then people would be less likely to do as they did in the video. Confronting someone and arguing with them (without threats) doesn't justify being attacked no matter how petty the argument is about. 

I'd be surprised if many of those that criticize the shooter haven't also confronted someone of what they thought to be an injustice.

(07-28-2018, 01:20 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(07-28-2018, 12:54 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: IMO, I think he should be prosecuted, let a jury decide his guilt or innocence. She shouldn't have parked there, he had no business saying anything to the woman, the big guy shouldn't have pushed him, and he shouldn't have shot him. Everybody [BLEEP] up and that family is going to pay a very hard price for it. This is a tough case that needs to be examined by a jury, we need some precedence on what happens when the shooter is both aggressor and victim. I feel terrible for the woman and her kids going through that.

I agree with you completely. I understand Drejka's fear, I understand McGlockton's instinct to protect his girlfriend. Heck, I totally understand Drejka's anger over the misuse of a handicapped parking space, but damn...a father died in front of his children over this. I don't agree with a law that gives an officer so much discretion over whether or not to make an arrest at the scene of a homicide, hopefully this case will go to trial.

McGlockton chose his own fate when he attacked Drejka.  He did that in front of his children over a dispute about parking illegally in a handicap spot.  It's unfortunate that the children had to witness the shooting of their father, just as it's unfortunate that he felt compelled to immediately attack someone over...a parking space.  Rather than just apologizing and getting the car out of the spot, he chose a path that ended in violence that he initiated.  It's a shame that someone died, but if someone is attacked and fears for their life, these types of things can happen.  In watching the video, it's clear that Drejka thought he was about to get pummeled by more than one person.  Anyone who has seen some of these punk viral videos where a mob mentality causes people to go after a weaker individual can understand why he'd be afraid.  The girlfriend was jumping out of the car, already argumentative.  The boyfriend came in guns blazing and shoved the guy to the ground.  Had he not been armed, there's no doubt that they would have done serious bodily harm.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Agreed.  This is the best approach, and nobody would be burying a father as an outcome.  Some people get pretty offended by this, and are vocal when they see a violation.  I know it irritates me, but I wouldn't confront someone over it.  But some people do, and that's their right.  It did't look from the video like this guy was looking to pick a fight.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]