Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Draft Strategy

Just curious, specifically on drafting a defense. We all know Jax defense is going to be the first one gone, maybe Minnesota. Where are you guys willing to take them? I got almost QB level points out of them last year. 

I'm considering pulling the trigger in round 5 or 6 this year when historically I've been a defense streamer
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'll consider taking them after I get 2 starting RB's, 2 starting WR's and a starting QB. If I don't see a 3rd WR that I really want or a TE, I'll draft the Jags defense. So, I'd draft them anywhere from the 6th to the 8th round.

Honestly, I just rotate defenses throughout the year based off matchups. So I usually always just draft a defense in the second to last round, kicker last round.

(08-08-2018, 12:28 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'll consider taking them after I get 2 starting RB's, 2 starting WR's and a starting QB. If I don't see a 3rd WR that I really want or a TE, I'll draft the Jags defense. So, I'd draft them anywhere from the 6th to the 8th round.
No offense but that’s a terrible decision.

Defense should be one of your last picks and kicker should be your last one. The Jags D is good but it will be very hard to duplicate that next year.

However, it’s fangasy football so do whatever you want!

It is relative to how big your league is and scoring. How many bench players etc.

I've seen Jville and Minny going in round 7 and 8 in a lot of mock drafts.
This is probably a reach and a gamble banking on them being that good fantasy options again...

I've actually done it myself in some mocks just to see how the depth turns out.
Defenses can account for a lot of points and I usually feel OK about drafting defenses in the 9th round. If you have solid RBs and WRs you can pull the trigger early.
In 14 team leagues though... you will likely sacrifice decent depth by drafting defense before filling out your roster.

Jags D should not be picked before the tenth round period. As much as I'd like to have them I'm taking the super Chargers in round 13.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(08-12-2018, 07:24 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(08-08-2018, 12:28 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'll consider taking them after I get 2 starting RB's, 2 starting WR's and a starting QB. If I don't see a 3rd WR that I really want or a TE, I'll draft the Jags defense. So, I'd draft them anywhere from the 6th to the 8th round.
No offense but that’s a terrible decision.

Defense should be one of your last picks and kicker should be your last one. The Jags D is good but it will be very hard to duplicate that next year.

However, it’s fangasy football so do whatever you want!

Again, it's not a sure thing. It all depends on who is still on the board. If I have 2 good starting RB's, two good WR's and a good QB and Jacksonville is still on the board, but I could get a 3rd receiver like Marquise Goodwin or JuJu Smith-Schuster, that's a no-brainer. I'm going for the 3rd receiver. The same can be said for the RB position. If it comes down to choosing between Jacksonville's defense or a backup RB like Royce Freeman or Derrick Henry, I'm definitely gonna take the RB. Everything depends on the board. I do see a huge year from the Jacksonville defense though and I'm not so sure about the other defenses. I do like Minnesota and Denver, but from there, I see a huge dropoff. I'm in a 12 team league with very knowledgeable guys and we play 1 starting QB (2 total), 2 starting RB's. (4 total), 3 starting WR's or TE's (6 total), 1 starting Def/ST (2 total), 1 starting kicker (2 total) and one extra player of your choosing at any position you want. I normally try to get a RB, unless I have a particularly weak position elsewhere. We have a weird scoring system that gives double points if a QB scores on a run or a catch, a RB scores on a catch or a pass or a WR/TE scores on a run or a throw. Getting multi-dimensional players is key to winning our league.

Well I get the first overall pick in my draft tonight. I hate picking first
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(08-25-2018, 05:37 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Well I get the first overall pick in my draft tonight. I hate picking first

Me too. Yeah, you get the best player in the draft, but you don't get another pick until #24. It sucks. I really like picking in the #6 to #8 range.

I was 1st pick in an 8 team league. Took the Jags in round 5, as I didnt want the risk of having missed out waiting for 2 more rounds until my next pick. I'm predicted by the app to win my league. We know this team, we've seen what they have done in preseason. I don't mind taking them higher than the average round to select a DEF.

My 12 team league drafts on Sunday. We wanted to wait until after the final preseason game. I have my rankings ready.

(08-27-2018, 09:08 AM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote: I was 1st pick in an 8 team league. Took the Jags in round 5, as I didnt want the risk of having missed out waiting for 2 more rounds until my next pick. I'm predicted by the app to win my league. We know this team, we've seen what they have done in preseason. I don't mind taking them higher than the average round to select a DEF.

I was in the same spot. I hate being 1st. I grabbed them in the 7th because I knew they weren't going to last another 22 picks.

I feel like drafting first overall you either get a steal who falls or you have to reach.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS