Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
DeSantis

(This post was last modified: 09-01-2018, 11:50 AM by mikesez.)

(09-01-2018, 08:42 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(08-31-2018, 08:28 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
I don't remember that, but Obama used a common expression. So what? Did the New York Times and CNN make a big deal about it?

Isn't "monkey it up" also a common expression?

"Monkey it up" is not.
"Muck it up" and "monkey with" are common expressions.  
He probably got his tongue caught between the two of them.
But the fact that he'd already used "articulate" points to him deliberately choosing certain words to perk up our ears.
Even the Fox News host said, "we do not condone this language."

(09-01-2018, 09:14 AM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(09-01-2018, 08:11 AM)mikesez Wrote: The McCain campaign did.  They demanded an apology. TV news did as well.
It was pretty clear that he was calling McCain's policy ideas the pig and Palin the lipstick, so it was not at all a personal insult.  Plus it was a common expression.
They demanded an apology and did not get one.

So in one case it was some campaign manager. In the other it was the entire Leftist media.

Clearly the same.

Maybe one of the alleged insults is much worse than the other?  Maybe this country has done a better job, historically, of treating women the way they want to be treated, than it has treating black people the way they want to be treated, so maybe we take slights and insults towards black people more seriously today.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-01-2018, 11:47 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(09-01-2018, 08:42 AM)Sneakers Wrote: Isn't "monkey it up" also a common expression?

"Monkey it up" is not.
"Muck it up" and "monkey with" are common expressions.  
He probably got his tongue caught between the two of them.
But the fact that he'd already used "articulate" points to him deliberately choosing certain words to perk up our ears.
Even the Fox News host said, "we do not condone this language."

(09-01-2018, 09:14 AM)MalabarJag Wrote: So in one case it was some campaign manager. In the other it was the entire Leftist media.

Clearly the same.

Maybe one of the alleged insults is much worse than the other?  Maybe this country has done a better job, historically, of treating women the way they want to be treated, than it has treating black people the way they want to be treated, so maybe we take slights and insults towards black people more seriously today.

We're discussing the difference between fake outrage vs. fake outrage. The difference in media coverage is 100% based on the political party of the speaker, not blacks vs. women.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

I see mikey is here telling us all the words and phrases we don't know again. Because if he's never heard it used then by golly it ain't used thataway.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-31-2018, 05:34 PM)mikesez Wrote: Hey who here remembers when John McCain picked Sarah Palin and the next day Obama said you can't put lipstick on a pig?
How did you feel at that time?

Still getting over the sick, sinking feeling of watching my candidate go all "zero-zero-zero-destruct-zero" on his own campaign.

Holy Crap! Are we still taking about this monkey stuff? DeSantis has clarified himself several times on a news channel that doesn't get routinely beat by the Cooking Channel in the ratings.

He owes nobody an apology, but some people on here owe me an apology for how long this thread is.

Fun Fact: I was watching a DVR’d show on Science Channel. I think it was “Strange Evidence “. They had a black female scientist that used the phrase “they can’t monkey it up”. So take that fwiw.

(08-30-2018, 11:19 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Just gonna leave this here...50 second mark.

https://youtu.be/LOpW9DGEPeg?t=50s

So do you go around calling black people the N-word?
Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

(09-05-2018, 03:46 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote:
(08-30-2018, 11:19 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Just gonna leave this here...50 second mark.

You're such a one trick pony.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(09-05-2018, 03:46 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote:

What are you talking about? This video points out Obama using the exact same terminology, only it was racist when DeSantis said it.

(09-05-2018, 04:06 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(09-05-2018, 03:46 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: So do you go around calling black people the N-word?

What are you talking about? This video points out Obama using the exact same terminology, only it was racist when DeSantis said it.

My point it because a black person says a word or phrase that have negative connotations, that it gives a white person a pass to say it without the same repercussions.

I am going to ask the question again. Do you go around calling black people the n-word?
Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

(09-05-2018, 04:14 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote:
(09-05-2018, 04:06 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: What are you talking about? This video points out Obama using the exact same terminology, only it was racist when DeSantis said it.

My point it because a black person says a word or phrase that have negative connotations, that it gives a white person a pass to say it without the same repercussions.

I am going to ask the question again. Do you go around calling black people the n-word?

You need to make some sense with your questions, did DeSantis call someone the NWord or are you equivocating to make your lousy point?

(09-05-2018, 04:18 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(09-05-2018, 04:14 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: My point it because a black person says a word or phrase that have negative connotations, that it gives a white person a pass to say it without the same repercussions.

You need to make some sense with your questions, did DeSantis call someone the NWord or are you equivocating to make your lousy point?

Exactly, I am not quite sure where he is going. His question to me doesn't warrant an answer

A. Is he making a point that it is ok for people of the same race to use racial slurs against each other without it actually being wrong?
B. JFC would take issue if someone said the sky was dark... at midnight.

(This post was last modified: 09-05-2018, 05:39 PM by mikesez.)

(09-05-2018, 04:06 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(09-05-2018, 03:46 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: So do you go around calling black people the N-word?

Obama was referring to the both the Republican party and the Democratic Party and referring to decades of their history. Both parties have white members and black members so in the context using the word monkey could not be a specifically racial slur. It's not possible to interpret the comment that way.
DeSantis was referring to a specific vote that would either be for him, a white person, or his opponent a black person. even though there is an innocent explanation for DeSantis's comment, a racial interpretation is possible.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 09-05-2018, 05:50 PM by Jamies_fried_chicken.)

(09-05-2018, 04:32 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(09-05-2018, 04:18 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You need to make some sense with your questions, did DeSantis call someone the NWord or are you equivocating to make your lousy point?

Exactly, I am not quite sure where he is going. His question to me doesn't warrant an answer

A. Is he making a point that it is ok for people of the same race to use racial slurs against each other without it actually being wrong?

Alright let’s make this simple........

Ready......

Let’s begin.......

In one of your responses you linked a video with Obama saying “let’s not monkey this up”. My question to you is since Obama said the phrase does that give DeSantis the right to use the phrase in a different context?

This also applies to the use of the N-word.

Since some black people use the word to each other, and in rap lyrics, do you go around calling black people that? Better yet, do you feel a white person has the right to call a black person the slur?

(09-05-2018, 05:47 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote:
(09-05-2018, 04:32 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Exactly, I am not quite sure where he is going. His question to me doesn't warrant an answer

Alright let’s make this simple........

Ready......

Let’s begin.......

In one of your responses you linked a video with Obama saying “let’s not monkey this up”. My question to you is since Obama said the phrase does that give DeSantis the right to use the phrase in a different context?

Since some black people use the word to each other, and in rap lyrics, do you go around calling black people that? Better yet, do you feel a white person has the right to call a black person the slur?

Ok, I understand now. You are trying to excuse Obama and vilify DeSantis for using the same term in the same context for the same reason for the sole reason that one is white and the other is only half-white. Should've known this was a waste of time.

(09-05-2018, 05:37 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(09-05-2018, 04:06 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: What are you talking about? This video points out Obama using the exact same terminology, only it was racist when DeSantis said it.

Obama was referring to the both the Republican party and the Democratic Party and referring to decades of their history. Both parties have white members and black members so in the context using the word monkey could not be a specifically racial slur. It's not possible to interpret the comment that way.
DeSantis was referring to a specific vote that would either be for him, a white person, or his opponent a black person. even though there is an innocent explanation for DeSantis's comment, a racial interpretation is possible.

If you reach any harder, you might hurt your back. This incident was the zero-point for Gillum's sure-to-be endless use of the race card throughout this campaign. He's up against a guy with Trump's hand so firmly up his rectum that even Putnam called him a puppet. Of course everything is going to be about race from Gillum's camp, especially when it's not.

(This post was last modified: 09-06-2018, 10:12 AM by Kane.)

(09-05-2018, 04:14 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote:

Apples and oranges.... 
and if you really wanna pose it that way....

If you think it is OK for black people to use the word, then it should be OK for white people to use it.

Personally I don't think anyone should use.

Your ignorance shines through on this comment dude.
This idea that black people can use the N word and white people can't is part of the overall problem.
That isn't equality at all.

(09-05-2018, 05:37 PM)mikesez Wrote:

even though there is an innocent explanation for DeSantis's comment, a racial interpretation is possible.

Only by the craziest of crazies

(09-05-2018, 06:55 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(09-05-2018, 05:47 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: Alright let’s make this simple........

Ready......

Let’s begin.......

Ok, I understand now. You are trying to excuse Obama and vilify DeSantis for using the same term in the same context for the same reason for the sole reason that one is white and the other is only half-white. Should've known this was a waste of time.

Was is a poor choice of words from Obama? Yes...

Am I excusing him but criticizing DeSantis No...

Are the contexts the same? No...

Do I feel DeSantis said it with a racial intent? Yes..

(09-06-2018, 10:11 AM)Kane Wrote:
(09-05-2018, 04:14 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: My point it because a black person says a word or phrase that have negative connotations, that it gives a white person a pass to say it without the same repercussions.

Apples and oranges.... 

If you think it is OK for black people to use the word, then it should be OK for white people to use it.

This idea that black people can use the N word and white people can't is part of the overall problem.

Do I think black people should use the word? No, but I can clearly understand the context in why we use it towards each other. 

You are ignorant and stupid if you think any and everyone has the social pass to use the slur especially if people know the history behind the word.

(09-07-2018, 03:27 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote:
(09-05-2018, 06:55 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Ok, I understand now. You are trying to excuse Obama and vilify DeSantis for using the same term in the same context for the same reason for the sole reason that one is white and the other is only half-white. Should've known this was a waste of time.

Do I feel DeSantis said it with a racial intent? Yes..

Of course.

(09-07-2018, 03:35 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote:
(09-06-2018, 10:11 AM)Kane Wrote: Apples and oranges.... 

Do I think black people should use the word? No, but I can clearly understand the context in why we use it towards each other. 

You are ignorant and stupid if you think any and everyone has the social pass to use the slur especially if people know the history behind the word.

You're ignorant and stupid if you think you have a social pass because you're black while claiming offense when anyone different uses it.

It's either always offensive or it isn't, and if it isn't, then you can't decide when a word should or shouldn't be offensive because you're black.