Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Dante Fowler's Future

(09-19-2018, 03:33 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 03:24 PM)Kane Wrote: Decent...
I mean if we're being honest with ourselves... How hurt is the then 33 year old Calais going to be all the time. How much of his step and moves will he have lost.
People lose their minds over the thought of cutting a premier pass rusher... but by next season will he even be what he was last year and this year? Likely not.
Perhaps keeping Fowler on the tag cutting Campbell and waiting to do Yan's deal is what is in the cards.

Can't say it sounds that terrible... IF Fowler continues to play well.

If Campbell is still playing at a high level at the end of this season, the team could also do a "simple restructure" contract where his 2019 salary is converted to signing bonus and spread over the remaining years. That might make sense if either:

1) The Jags want to make one more run with the team intact, even at the risk of future cap pain, or
2) The 2020 cap projection would make it no big deal.

I like this idea, if it could possibly get done. Calais' value is not only his physical contributions (which are still significant), but also his leadership. It wasn't that long ago that this team had no true leaders on either side of the ball. Granted, this team has other true leaders like Telvin, but I'd hate to see Calais go after this season unless he shows a dramatic decline. As far as Fowler, he certainly can create a conundrum for Caldwell/Coughlin if he plays great this season. He is so young with tremendous talent and great pass rushers are very hard to find. Yannick is on the verge of this, but if this team had both Fowler and Yannick for the next 3 years, the possibilities for this already great defense are endless. Let's first see how this season plays out for Fowler. His personal history has to give our brass some pause regarding his future in Jax, but he is only 24 and some guys do mature.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It may not be possible, but as much as I hate Dante off the field, I think he really adds something to our defense. He just flashes, period. He's one of these guys that's also hard to judge by stats alone because it just feels like his tackles and hits have more velocity and violence than anyone else.......which wears down the opposing offense. He's the kind of guy that will take the other team's best ball-carrier out of the game......and I don't mean that in an unsportsmanlike head-hunting kind of way, but just as a matter of the reality of football.

(09-19-2018, 10:11 AM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: I am not cutting Calais, and I'm finding a way to keep Fowler, idc what needs to be done but this defense needs to be left in tack, at the expense of the offensive side of the ball

This would be impossible.

It was also impossible to draft jack and ramsey. Let's just enjoy this season right now and worry later. Caldwell will do magic of some sorts

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk

Calas is a star. And really to cut him while playing all pro really hard to believe. But that of Fowler great on the field, needs work off it and beyond.
Ready for May Day and May Flowers!

If he keeps making plays like he did against the Pats then we will try to find a way to make it work. I don't know that its possible, Ramsey will want to be the highest paid corner, Jack will want to be the highest paid MLB, Yann will want to be the highest paid defender.... There will have to be a lot of trimming in other spots,

Also, as much as I love Cambell if it comes down to choosing between the 25 year old Pass rusher and the 33 year old pass rusher then its not really a choice.

If possible to keep Fowler and also able to resign Ramsey, Jack, Ngakoue then sure. Can't lose those 3 guys. Bouye and Telvin are locked up already or i'd say them too.
No Fun

Pretty pretty funny how this thread disappears for exactly a month while Fowler was crickets...then he gets a sack on an unblocked stunt and bam raise this thread from the dead.

(10-24-2018, 06:23 AM)Upper Wrote: Pretty pretty funny how this thread disappears for exactly a month while Fowler was crickets...then he gets a sack on an unblocked stunt and bam raise this thread from the dead.

How's Beasley look? Laughing

(10-24-2018, 06:40 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-24-2018, 06:23 AM)Upper Wrote: Pretty pretty funny how this thread disappears for exactly a month while Fowler was crickets...then he gets a sack on an unblocked stunt and bam raise this thread from the dead.

How's Beasley look? Laughing

Why do you have this fetish? Kinda disturbing...

honestly, where I'm at, unless this season takes a 180...

I try to heavily restructure bouye, jackson, dareus, campbell, church, and gipson...

whichever of them refuses to restructure their deal to save cap space or in some cases even take a bit of a cut, then I strait cut them, all of them if need be

resign ramsey, yannick, jack, AND fowler after next season, and roll with that as our core... all are like 23 or younger, thats who we build around

the rest of the cap space goes to the offensive side of the ball, all of it

(This post was last modified: 10-24-2018, 08:09 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(10-24-2018, 08:00 AM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: honestly, where I'm at, unless this season takes a 180...

I try to heavily restructure bouye, jackson, dareus, campbell, church, and gipson...

whichever of them refuses to restructure their deal to save cap space or in some cases even take a bit of a cut,  then I strait cut them, all of them if need be

resign ramsey, yannick, jack, AND fowler after next season, and roll with that as our core... all are like 23 or younger, thats who we build around

Fowler is a FA at the end of this season

(10-24-2018, 07:18 AM)Upper Wrote:
(10-24-2018, 06:40 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: How's Beasley look? Laughing

Why do you have this fetish? Kinda disturbing...

Looks like I touched a soft spot.  I didnt say anything about Teddy

(10-24-2018, 08:08 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Looks like I touched a soft spot.  I didnt say anything about Teddy

Nor have I, yet you let both of them rent rooms in your brain for free.

(This post was last modified: 10-24-2018, 09:38 AM by Kane.)

(10-24-2018, 08:00 AM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: honestly, where I'm at, unless this season takes a 180...

whichever of them refuses to restructure their deal to save cap space or in some cases even take a bit of a cut,  then I strait cut them, all of them if need be

Church just needs to go imo. He served his stop gap purpose.
Campbell would probably restructure, otherwise certainly release. (I think in todays NFL you need two rush ends more than a "big end")
I think Malik is still playing up to his contract.

Bouye is looking like a one year wonder, however I'm wondering how much Bouye and Ramsey's semi-struggles have been because of scheme and playcall (zone obsession with Wash)
Dareus is a pretty large number too, but we shouldn't let him get away until we know we have a solid NT.

I think Telvin might need to take a pay cut though. We paid him very handsomely and he's been way out of place a lot this year... not sure what's up with that.

That ALL being said... I'm worried we're being hard on our D guys when they are on the field too much and put in bad position by the DC.

Not sure we need to dump a bunch of money into the offense though. QB should be a rookie. Perhaps we toss some more money at OL but Norwell isn't working out great.
Jags have to be careful in FA the next couple offseasons.

We need to stop trading away draft capital on a lost season, imo.
We need 2 OL (LT/RT, RG) guys, another RB, another TE, and a QB.

MORE OT OF FOWLER:
I think he's playing just as we thought he would. He's gonna earn a contract from someone. If he's cheap enough we should try to retain him. If he's commanding too much, you let him go and get that comp pick.

(10-24-2018, 09:36 AM)Kane Wrote:
(10-24-2018, 08:00 AM)Krayz_Jville_D... Wrote: ...I try to heavily restructure bouye, jackson, dareus, campbell, church, and gipson...

resign ramsey, yannick, jack, AND fowler after next season...

Church just needs to go imo. He served his stop gap purpose.
Campbell would probably restructure, otherwise certainly release. (I think in todays NFL you need two rush ends more than a "big end")
I think Malik is still playing up to his contract.

Bouye is looking like a one year wonder, however I'm wondering how much Bouye and Ramsey's semi-struggles have been because of scheme and playcall (zone obsession with Wash)
Dareus is a pretty large number too, but we shouldn't let him get away until we know we have a solid NT.

I think Telvin might need to take a pay cut though. We paid him very handsomely and he's been way out of place a lot this year... not sure what's up with that.

That ALL being said... I'm worried we're being hard on our D guys when they are on the field too much and put in bad position by the DC.

Not sure we need to dump a bunch of money into the offense though. QB should be a rookie. Perhaps we toss some more money at OL but Norwell isn't working out great.
Jags have to be careful in FA the next couple offseasons.

We need to stop trading away draft capital on a lost season, imo.
We need 2 OL (LT/RT, RG) guys, another RB, another TE, and a QB.

MORE OT OF FOWLER:
I think he's playing just as we thought he would. He's gonna earn a contract from someone. If he's cheap enough we should try to retain him. If he's commanding too much, you let him go and get that comp pick.

In terms of next year's defense, I'd say:
  • Church walks and Harrison steps in. Saves 6.2 mil in 2019. 
  • Bouye is fine unless his play doesn't normalize before season's end, and it probably will. It's not the scheme BTW. He's being beaten in man coverage early in games. Not terribly often, but giving up chunks on scoring drives. A little concerning. I bet he rallies though. If they can convince him to restructure, fine. 
  • Malik Jackson is playing great. No change needed. He's locked up and has earned his money. 
  • Dareus is a luxury we probably can't afford, but they'll need to draft one of the better NT types in the draft to replace him. Run stuffer needed.  Maybe he restructures a bit based on snap count? 
  • Campbell is either gone after this year or after 2019. Not sure what he'd be open to changing in order to stay. They have the out after this season if they want and cutting him will save 11.5 mil.  Bryan is not going to just replicate his impact right away (if ever) and they'd need to add another DE that can pass rush and play the run well. 
  • Gipson played well last season. He's been pretty good in coverage this year for the most part. He's looked bad in run support the past two weeks though. Not sure what's going on there. His replacement is not on the roster though. Could save around 7 mil by cutting him. But who takes over?  Finding a cheap replacement would really help the cap. 
So - you've got to make real decisions on Dareus and Campbell. Gipson likely stays. Bouye likely stays (at the same rate.) Jackson isn't going anywhere. And anyone you release will leave a void in need of an early/early-ish pick expenditure. 

Best case scenario is probably Dareus restructuring and the team waiting till after 2019 to cut Campbell if he's still playing well by this season's end. 
Then - If the team could somehow manage to draft an heir apparent QB, a quality rotational DE, and a run stuffing NT in 2019 they could be nicely reset in 2020 and have room to keep Ngakoue, Ramsey and Jack. 

Fowler seems destined to earn a better offer in free agency than the Jags are willing to compete with. 

I'd address offense by simply drafting the best QB they can manage to get and acquiring O-Line depth by the boatload. They can roll one more year with Parnell and Robinson at Tackle but they had better add depth and developmental guys behind them.  

WR group of Lee, Westbrook, Cole, and Chark isn't bad. A late round pick added will suffice.  I'd try to draft a mid round TE though. ASJ has one more year and he'll need a counterpart.

only reason I'm changing course on not keeping all our high priced defensive players is because it has become painfully clear that we are not competing for a SB like I thought we were, not with this QB.

Im not saying those defenders arent worth their money, they are, but not on a team that cant win with them. Im fine cutting church, restructuring bouye and campbell, and keeping jackson and gipson for now. I meant to say resign fowler this year and the other 3 the following year. I think fowler needs to stay. You need 2 pass rushing DE's in todays league.

Save more money by cutting Parnell.. robinson needs to be moved to RT, and we need to find a LT. I think robinson is better suited for RT even before his ACL injury, and now I think it is probably even more so the case

we have to find a QB, if its 1st round in the draft, then even more reason to not pay all those defensive guys except the ones that are young in their 20s as we wont be competing for a bit. I also have 0 plans of resigning yeldon, grant, or fournette when his time comes.

(10-24-2018, 11:19 AM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: only reason I'm changing course on not keeping all our high priced defensive players is because it has become painfully clear that we are not competing for a SB like I thought we were, not with this QB.

Im not saying those defenders arent worth their money, they are, but not on a team that cant win with them.  Im fine cutting church, restructuring bouye and campbell, and keeping jackson and gipson for now.  I meant to say resign fowler this year and the other 3 the following year.  I think fowler needs to stay. ...

You keep assuming that the Jags will even have a say in re-signing Fowler.  He may already be bound and determined to chase a paycheck elsewhere.

You're honestly the worst. If something doesn't fit your narrative you try and spin stuff any way you can to not admit being wrong. I've seen you post like 25 separate times that last year Fowler lucked into his sacks because they didnt match his pressures. Now it's a stat from favorite place to pick stats from, pff, saying that he is getting pressures at the same rate as yannick, and your know it all ego still wont give the tiniest bit of praise.

(10-24-2018, 11:36 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:

You're honestly the worst. If something doesn't fit your narrative you try and spin stuff any way you can to not admit being wrong. I've seen you post like 25 separate times that last year Fowler lucked into his sacks because they didnt match his pressures. Now it's a stat from favorite place to pick stats from, pff, saying that he is getting pressures at the same rate as yannick, and your know it all ego still wont give the tiniest bit of praise.

It's a never-ending cycle of "tale" chasing.  

Spit some hyperbole around draft time and then spin over the next four years trying to defend it.