Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Better without Fournette?

(09-16-2018, 08:42 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(09-16-2018, 08:34 PM)ColoJag Wrote: Pretty much replace all of Yeldon's carries and Wilds carries and give them to Fournette but keep Grant the same. I don't think Yeldon is bad at all, actually think he played very well today, but LF27 adds a different dimension to our offense

Yeldon is the best blocking RB and pass catching RB on the roster. He's the 3rd down back for a reason.

I totally agree, but today we also had him be our in between the tackles guy. I'm not bashing Yeldon at all, had a couple huge blitz pickups today and had 10 carries for 58 yards which is a great average. Just still think LF27 is better at the gritty stuff

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-16-2018, 08:42 PM)TheSchmidt Wrote:
(09-16-2018, 08:34 PM)ColoJag Wrote: Pretty much replace all of Yeldon's carries and Wilds carries and give them to Fournette but keep Grant the same. I don't think Yeldon is bad at all, actually think he played very well today, but LF27 adds a different dimension to our offense

I am curious as to what LF's stats are on runs with different player personnel/packages.

I want to blow my brains out when I see him on the field with 2 TE and a FB.

That personnel couldn't have been on the field more than 10 times in this game today.
Fournette runs out of power I the best.

Blake clearly plays beat out of the shotgun. The two don’t work well together.

(09-16-2018, 08:44 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-16-2018, 08:41 PM)ColoJag Wrote: A power running back who has breakaway speed..... those don't just grow on trees. We don't run Grant between the tackles, so we need someone to do that and LF27 does that better than Yeldon
When Fournette plays, there is pressure to give him the ball. That’s the crutch when you draft him #4. I don’t think they will abandon that when he comes back.

They seem to have better flow when he’s not in there and who knows why that’s is.

True, but that also means the defense knows that which in turn can be a benefit for Bortles in PAs and 1v1s on the outside. 

Why we don't use that to our advantage idk but none of us can really answer that.

Simple answer is yes. Look at the games during the season when leonard was out last year. More creative and more balanced with him out right now.

I don't think they are necessarily better without him because he can do things none of the other backs can but I think Hackett would be well served to take his carries from 22 or so a game to something like 17-18 and get other players more involved.

Honestly I’m not sure why it seems that way but it does. I think it’s more that when we have Fournette in, we focus on planning around him then balancing it more naturally

We need 4nette. The game plan every week is to go in and be a run/pass offense to get the lead. once that is done that is where the value of 4nette comes in. He can grind out the last 3 quarters on the ground and wear teams out.

We hands down have a more balanced and dangerous gameplan when Fournette is not in the lineup. Yeldon picks up blitz’s and blocks really well. Grant single handedly got us some very important 1st downs. We need to run that gameplan style with Fournette in during run plays. But grant needs to be out there for the plays he made today. I’ll make the argument that we either don’t win or the game ends up being a lot closer than it was.

I honestly think LF should get a reduced roll going forward. 1st/2nd down are his with Grant spelling, and Yeldon coming in on long 3rd down plays to block. Obviously you can mix and match whoever, but the 3 rbs are pretty good and Bortles gets handcuffed when they want to feed LF the ball 30 times a game. They need a lot more of what happened today even with LF back and healthy.

(This post was last modified: 09-16-2018, 10:43 PM by jjgator.)

(09-16-2018, 10:39 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: I honestly think LF should get a reduced roll going forward. 1st/2nd down are his with Grant spelling, and Yeldon coming in on long 3rd down plays to block. Obviously you can mix and match whoever, but the 3 rbs are pretty good and Bortles gets handcuffed when they want to feed LF the ball 30 times a game. They need a lot more of what happened today even with LF back and healthy.

Plus not giving him the rock so much should help keep him more healthy.

(09-16-2018, 08:59 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: Honestly I’m not sure why it seems that way but it does. I think it’s more that when we have Fournette in, we focus on planning around him then balancing it more naturally

Without pulling up the stat sheets from last year, it felt  like the blow-out wins we had came when 4nette was out.

Offense takes on an obligatory option to feed Fournette all the time. There's no reason Fournette can't be involved in the pass game. Really we should be using all 3 of our backs to keep them relatively fresh for the season.
No pain, no gain.

(09-16-2018, 08:45 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-16-2018, 08:42 PM)TheSchmidt Wrote: I am curious as to what LF's stats are on runs with different player personnel/packages.

I want to blow my brains out when I see him on the field with 2 TE and a FB.

That personnel couldn't have been on the field more than 10 times in this game today.
Fournette runs out of power I the best.

Blake clearly plays beat out of the shotgun. The two don’t work well together.

That's a really good point. I didn't really think about it like that. It is definitely a clash of styles, can 4nette adjust to running out of shotgun? I would take this offense all day and attempt to make 4nette adjust to it. 

Saw an interesting tweet that the 4 games 4nette has missed the Jags are 4-0 with an avg of 31.5ppg.

Hah, I was going to pose the same question.

Hopefully, the coaching staff will look at this win and consider incorporating Fournette in a more balanced offense, instead of making him the sole focus.

It must be easier to defend against us, if you know the ball is going to get handed to 27 a lot.

(This post was last modified: 09-17-2018, 02:57 AM by Upper.)

Lots and lots of people, not just me, have been worried about the oil/water factor between Bortles and Fournette while we were debating who our pick should be pre draft. The "where he wins" paths are just completely different for the two. Hopefully going forward they decide to cater to the QB and the other 10 players on the field and not the one RB who requires a completely different offense.

I think we are a more balanced team. I love Fournette but I hate knowing that we force feed him every possession. And Corey Grant makes this team better. We need him on the field.

I don't think it's a case we are better, but more a case that teams don't see enough tape of what we do without him and then when he's not in the game DC's are expecting us to just keep to the same game plan. You saw that yesterday, NE kept stacking the box and anticipating the run even in the 2nd half when it had become glaringly obvious that BB5 could air it out to the WRs.

LF is a fantastic player and one we need. But at this point right now we just can’t force feed him the ball because he’s on the field. I have faith he can catch the ball out of the back field so I think we need to use him more like Yeldon in that sense. His body at the moment can’t take the wear and tear. No one can.
"Expect for the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes."

without fournette.

starting to become the elephant in the room.

we play better without him.

I'm afraid we should have selected someone else at 4 in 2017.

(09-17-2018, 08:39 AM)rocdee Wrote: without fournette.

starting to become the elephant in the room.

we play better without him.

I'm afraid we should have selected someone else at 4 in 2017.

like who?