Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Better without Fournette?

(09-17-2018, 10:32 PM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote: Marrone is on record for saying that his idea of a perfect game is the quarterback never having to throw a pass. I'm sure that this ideal of his is taken into account with how Hackett calls the game when Fournette is in the game. How ironic is it that when Fournette is out, and we don't have the backfield that is able to pound the ball up the middle, we seem to have a more productive offense. So, the question I have is have we "dumbed down" the playbook too much, in an attempt to limit BB?

No.

You’re reading way too much into that statement by Marrone. 

Waaaaayyyyy too much. 

This staff has demonstrated clearly an ability to adapt their offensive plan from week to week according to opponent. And they clearly came away from you the AFCCG loss with an adjusted approach to the patriots. 

There was nothing dumbed down in Hackett’s play calling yesterday.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Exactly. They tried a different approach yesterday because they didnt have Fournette. The play calling was great, and we saw a different offense, or at least an offense with different results.

I get what Marrone was saying, but I still think he prefers to keep pounding the ball up the middle, sometimes to detrimental results.

I hope yesterday's results will convince the powers that be to not always be so conservative in the future.

You just need to look at the Pittsburgh game in the playoffs to see we can run an effective O with Fournette and still get Blake making plays. 

The good thing is we look like we can still move the ball in the air if we can't get Fournette and the run game going. 

If you can run on a team you do it all day.

This might sound dumb at first but what if we could trade Fournette? There's probably good value there. You could argue Yeldon is just as effective at short yardage runs and Grant is better in the open field than Fournette is. Running backs are a dime a dozen and with Fournette's availability hit and miss maybe he is expendable seeing our offense without him. I'll take the flack for saying it I don't care.. it begs the question.
No pain, no gain.

(09-16-2018, 07:35 PM)TheSchmidt Wrote: great great win, but this question needs to be asked eventually

It's no secret Bortles is better when throwing on early downs. But with Fournette, he is force fed the ball and the offense is so predictable which puts Blake in obvious throwing downs which isn't his strong suite.

I guess this isn't so much on LF as it is on the OC.

It's not that we're better without him. It's that not having him forces Hackett to be aggressive and creative instead of just force feeding Fournette the ball and everyone else shines instead.

One thing I dont think a lot of people understand is before, in years past, Bortles wasn't ready to throw the ball around/45 times like he did Sunday against the Pats. At this point in his career I think he is ready for it. He has a pretty good oline, good RBs, young good receivers that he trust, and 2 full years in this system that he knows very well. He has never had this consistency with an OC. You can now tell that Hackett trust Bortles and Bortles trust Hackett. Bortles is more comfortable than ever before

I'd like to see Fournette just become the short yardage weapon or the goal line threat. Use Grant as eye candy for the defense and as a decoy in the running and passing game once they've dealt with Grant in the open field once or twice they have to respect Grant out of the backfield and they will be looking and chasing that giving Fournette room to run. Mostly by this I mean ditch the Fullback except on 3rd and short/4th and short situations.
No pain, no gain.

I will say our play calling may be a little different if we don't get the same push from wells as we do from robinson. I'm not one of those who preaches how great cam is every week but I think he is formidable at run blocking for a second year LT and we may experience a bit of a drop off with out him.

(09-18-2018, 04:46 PM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: This might sound dumb at first but what if we could trade Fournette? There's probably good value there. You could argue Yeldon is just as effective at short yardage runs and Grant is better in the open field than Fournette is. Running backs are a dime a dozen and with Fournette's availability hit and miss maybe he is expendable seeing our offense without him. I'll take the flack for saying it I don't care.. it begs the question.

My god. No.

You guys are getting crazy here.

McCaffrey would be deadly with this offense but naw

Fournette is an underrated pass catcher. There's no reason he can't do the things Yeldon does.

So much stupid and overreaction here from a week 2 game against a Patriots team that struggles in warm weather. It was the hottest NFL game in 15 years. It's week 2!!! Trade 4nette?! Y'all on drugs.

(09-18-2018, 11:45 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Fournette is an underrated pass catcher. There's no reason he can't do the things Yeldon does.

Fournette isn't anywhere near the pass blocker that Yeldon is and it's not even close.

Yeldon is a much better pass catcher as well. Not saying Fournette can't catch a swing/screen pass, but Yeldon is just an all-around, far better pass friendly RB.

Now, if we're talking run the ball straight into the middle for 3-4 yards... Fournette is the man.

(09-19-2018, 05:35 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(09-18-2018, 11:45 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Fournette is an underrated pass catcher. There's no reason he can't do the things Yeldon does.

Fournette isn't anywhere near the pass blocker that Yeldon is and it's not even close.

Yeldon is a much better pass catcher as well. Not saying Fournette can't catch a swing/screen pass, but Yeldon is just an all-around, far better pass friendly RB.

Now, if we're talking run the ball straight into the middle for 3-4 yards... Fournette is the man.

This is why a 2 back set with them is deadly. So many options. Then throw Grant in the mix as well.

(09-18-2018, 04:46 PM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: This might sound dumb at first ...

Yes, it might.

(09-19-2018, 10:54 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Yes, it might.

Always a good opening.

(09-19-2018, 10:54 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Yes, it might.

Not just "at first"

(09-19-2018, 05:35 AM)Eric1 Wrote:

Maybe, but in context to the thread my point is it's not such a huge dropoff that you just can't use Fournette in the more open formations. 

His blocking may be suspect but he's more than capable of catching a screen pass.

(09-19-2018, 12:24 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 05:35 AM)Eric1 Wrote: Fournette isn't anywhere near the pass blocker that Yeldon is and it's not even close.

Maybe, but in context to the thread my point is it's not such a huge dropoff that you just can't use Fournette in the more open formations. 

His blocking may be suspect but he's more than capable of catching a screen pass.

His pass catching was actually underrated coming out because LSU didn't do much with RBs in the pass game. But he is actually a quality receiver out of the backfield.
His blitz recognition and blocking is where TJ is really valued and some of that is just his time in the league but a lot of that was his game since day 1, screens and what not.

Either way... we shouldn't limit the playbook with Fournette and perhaps Hack is starting to get comfortable enough he can mix the seemingly two totally different playbooks of weeks 1 and 2

Havnt had a chance to read this thread yet, so excuse me if this was brought up. My opinion why Blake does good without Fournette so far is 2 things. One obviously is the competition hasn’t been tough. Obviously that excludes the pats and maybe the bengals game. I believe another reason is the play calling. When we have Fournette, there are many drives where we force him the ball and nothing happens, putting Blake in tough 3rd down and long situations. Predictably run on first and second downs setting up 3rd and 8 or longer and asking Blake to throw when the defense knows he has to. Without Fournette I feel like there are more play where Blake completes an easy pass on first down, or second down, when take off the presssure. Sets up 3rd and short, takes pressure off yeldon and also gets Blake rolling and adds confidence. The play calling has been pretty good but I feel like it gets better when we don’t predictably run back to back on first and second. I would like to see more passes like last week and just play Fournette like yeldon as far as playcalling. Get the d line a little off balance and tired with good shirt to medium passes and then hit them in the face with Fournette. I think that will keep him healthier. And if we can get up a score or two by passing a bit more and then run to win. I feel better about that then running on first and second and putting Blake in a tough spot with the game tied or close.