Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Better without Fournette?

I'm expecting a much more conservative approach offensively against the titans whether Fournette plays or not. Tenn's offense is simply outmatched this week, and I'd be shocked if they scored more than 9 or 10 points against our defense.
I know we all would love it if we went out and buried the titans, but high-risk, wide-open offensive play calling is probably off the table for the most part this week.

Tennessee can't beat us - they're too beat up, if they weren't already lacking. We can beat ourselves though.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 09-19-2018, 02:55 PM by jagherd.)

(09-18-2018, 12:06 AM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote: Exactly. They tried a different approach yesterday because they didnt have Fournette. The play calling was great, and we saw a different offense, or at least an offense with different results.

I get what Marrone was saying, but I still think he prefers to keep pounding the ball up the middle, sometimes to detrimental results.

I hope yesterday's results will convince the powers that be to not always be so conservative in the future.

The gameplan is going to vary depending on the opponent and what formations they show week-to-week. It just is.

Last game was against a weak Patriots Defense (who lost their best pass rusher to injury),  and they often played 8 men in the box to stifle the run. Romo showed/talked about this on TV.

The Jags gameplan was because of this. And boy, it was fantastic. WRs were running wide open very often. Passes to Grant and Yeldon were open. And Bortles made them pay greatly.

The plan looked different from the Giants game. It had much more to do with the
opponent's defense, their formations, and the weather than it did just because LF was in the game (IMO). 

They're gonna need heavy doses of LF in some games due to circumstances, and they're gonna need to sling it all over the place in other games due to circumstances. 

It's fluid man.

At any rate, this team is in TERRIFIC shape to get a win no matter the opponent's gameplan or weather. 

- Extremely solid Defense.
- Powerful running attack that can grind it (LF, BB, and play-action stuff)
- Passing attack that can sling it all over if the defenses are stacking fronts
- Solid FG kicker

(09-19-2018, 02:54 PM)jagherd Wrote:
(09-18-2018, 12:06 AM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote: Exactly. They tried a different approach yesterday because they didnt have Fournette. The play calling was great, and we saw a different offense, or at least an offense with different results.

I get what Marrone was saying, but I still think he prefers to keep pounding the ball up the middle, sometimes to detrimental results.

I hope yesterday's results will convince the powers that be to not always be so conservative in the future.

The gameplan is going to vary depending on the opponent and what formations they show week-to-week. It just is.

Last game was against a weak Patriots Defense (who lost their best pass rusher to injury),  and they often played 8 men in the box to stifle the run. Romo showed/talked about this on TV.

The Jags gameplan was because of this. And boy, it was fantastic. WRs were running wide open very often. Passes to Grant and Yeldon were open. And Bortles made them pay greatly.

opponent's defense, their formations, and the weather than it did just because LF was in the game (IMO). 

They're gonna need heavy doses of LF in some games due to circumstances, and they're gonna need to sling it all over the place in other games due to circumstances. 

It's fluid man.

This ^ is what I’ve been trying to impart on this topic as well.

(09-19-2018, 09:28 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 02:54 PM)jagherd Wrote: The gameplan is going to vary depending on the opponent and what formations they show week-to-week. It just is.

It's fluid man.

This ^ is what I’ve been trying to impart on this topic as well.

I believe I said it first...but not supplying as much detail and a little more sarcasm.   Big Grin
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

So...............

This game has nothing to do with Fournette. Marrone and the coaching staff just shoot themselves in the foot.

Yeldon had over 6 yards per carry. Lack of Fournette didn't cost us the game. Give Yeldon 15 carries and don't give Grant 6 carries and only 1 reception and we win this game.

(09-23-2018, 04:02 PM)Upper Wrote: Yeldon had over 6 yards per carry. Lack of Fournette didn't cost us the game. Give Yeldon 15 carries and don't give Grant 6 carries and only 1 reception and we win this game.

A shame you didn't give the team your game plan.

There were a few 3rd & short opportunities where having Fournette vs Yeldon makes all the difference. Can’t tell me not having Leo today didn’t matter

(09-23-2018, 05:02 PM)JNev Wrote: There were a few 3rd & short opportunities where having Fournette vs Yeldon makes all the difference. Can’t tell me not having Leo today didn’t matter

Agree completely, I have to think this game would have been different with Fournette, especially in the 4th.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Wouldnt made a difference.

Marrone would of just ran Fournette on a 8man box, and kept repeating the same run play, over and over again. Stubborn idiot.

(09-23-2018, 05:19 PM)YourFather Wrote: Wouldnt made a difference.

Marrone would of just ran Fournette on a 8man box, and kept repeating the same run play, over and over again. Stubborn idiot.

Derrick Henry did this most of the game and ended up with 58 yards on 17 or 18 carries. That stat line kind of sucks, but he was making a huge difference in the 4th quarter. Fournette would have had the same kind of effect for us.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(This post was last modified: 09-23-2018, 05:22 PM by Upper.)

(09-23-2018, 05:02 PM)JNev Wrote: There were a few 3rd & short opportunities where having Fournette vs Yeldon makes all the difference. Can’t tell me not having Leo today didn’t matter

Hmm, I don't remember Yeldon failing to convert any 3rd and shorts. But maybe I'm forgetting something.

(09-23-2018, 05:21 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote:
(09-23-2018, 05:19 PM)YourFather Wrote: Wouldnt made a difference.

Derrick Henry did this most of the game and ended up with 58 yards on 17 or 18 carries. That stat line kind of sucks, but he was making a huge difference in the 4th quarter. Fournette would have had the same kind of effect for us.

They were using Henry on the outside too (although they werent successful) but Im sick and tired of fatlard Marrone using F4 the way he does. Its insanity.

(This post was last modified: 09-23-2018, 10:53 PM by JNev.)

(09-23-2018, 05:22 PM)Upper Wrote:

Hmm, I don't remember Yeldon failing to convert any 3rd and shorts. But maybe I'm forgetting something.

They ended up throwing instead of running him a few times and we had to punt iirc

2nd drive: 3rd & 4 - pass incomplete
3rd drive: 3rd & 3 - pass incomplete
5th drive: 3rd & 1 - Yeldon stopped for no gain
7th drive: 3rd & 4 - pass incomplete

So that's 4 drives where I believe Fournette would've made a difference in how we played and TEN had to defend

(09-23-2018, 04:02 PM)Upper Wrote: Yeldon had over 6 yards per carry. Lack of Fournette didn't cost us the game. Give Yeldon 15 carries and don't give Grant 6 carries and only 1 reception and we win this game.

Yeldon got arm tackled MULTIPLE times with a yard or two to go for a first down to keep a drive alive . Fournette gets those first downs and then some  every single time. I genuinely don't understand the look at stats only people on here. Do u guys even watch the games or just look at the stat sheet afterwards? Maybe u just have no idea what's going on when you're watching the game and you're just cheering when something happens but basically clueless in between big plays?

(09-19-2018, 02:23 PM)scottyg Wrote: I'm expecting a much more conservative approach offensively against the titans whether Fournette plays or not.  Tenn's offense is simply outmatched this week, and I'd be shocked if they scored more than 9 or 10 points against our defense.
I know we all would love it if we went out and buried the titans, but high-risk, wide-open offensive play calling is probably off the table for the most part this week.

Tennessee can't beat us - they're too beat up, if they weren't already lacking.  We can beat ourselves though.

I have to give credit, this was right on.

(09-26-2018, 05:13 PM)sfljaguarsfan Wrote:

Yeldon got arm tackled MULTIPLE times with a yard or two to go for a first down to keep a drive alive . Fournette gets those first downs and then some  every single time. I genuinely don't understand the look at stats only people on here. Do u guys even watch the games or just look at the stat sheet afterwards? Maybe u just have no idea what's going on when you're watching the game and you're just cheering when something happens but basically clueless in between big plays?

Yes I watched the game, Yeldon was great. Fournette might have gotten those extra one or two yards if he were in Yeldon's situation, but he probably wouldn't have been in that situation because he wouldn't have seen the hole or ran into the back of a blocker.

(This post was last modified: 09-27-2018, 08:36 AM by sfljaguarsfan.)

(09-27-2018, 08:09 AM)Upper Wrote:
(09-26-2018, 05:13 PM)sfljaguarsfan Wrote: Yeldon got arm tackled MULTIPLE times with a yard or two to go for a first down to keep a drive alive . Fournette gets those first downs and then some  every single time. I genuinely don't understand the look at stats only people on here. Do u guys even watch the games or just look at the stat sheet afterwards? Maybe u just have no idea what's going on when you're watching the game and you're just cheering when something happens but basically clueless in between big plays?

Yes I watched the game, Yeldon was great. Fournette might have gotten those extra one or two yards if he were in Yeldon's situation, but he probably wouldn't have been in that situation because he wouldn't have seen the hole or ran into the back of a blocker.

OK, I get it now. You just don't understand football.

"Never play chess with a pigeon, they'll knock over all the pieces, take a crap on your board and strut around like they've won"

(09-27-2018, 08:09 AM)Upper Wrote:
(09-26-2018, 05:13 PM)sfljaguarsfan Wrote: Yeldon got arm tackled MULTIPLE times with a yard or two to go for a first down to keep a drive alive . Fournette gets those first downs and then some  every single time. I genuinely don't understand the look at stats only people on here. Do u guys even watch the games or just look at the stat sheet afterwards? Maybe u just have no idea what's going on when you're watching the game and you're just cheering when something happens but basically clueless in between big plays?

I tend to agree here.  Yeldon played very well through an injury. 
(regardless of the speculation on Fournette's vision etc. - maybe, maybe not on that. Valid opinion)

I think they limited TJ due to the injury and had he been close to 100% he'd have been a major factor and the offense as a whole would have benefitted. 

TJ has been on an ascending trend since last season and seems only to have ramped up his play. It's a shame the injury is hampering him currently.