Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Telvin Flag

(09-17-2018, 08:29 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: Honestly we got lucky on the laundry and they let the game keep a natural flow.  Could we be disappointed in the lack of holding calls?  Maybe but it was okay.  Honestly I thought Ramsey was going to get a taunting flag.  That probably would have happened up in New England.  With the way the town is feeling, must get home field advantage.  Here's to health for the rest of the year.

Up in new England is where the refs have no problem with making up calls for penalties , celebrating touchdowns with the cheatriots and patting tommy on the butt.
Lol...yesterday, when the ref stepped forward to the first down marker.... even my friend in the pat's jersey said ...
"Whoa, he didn't make that!"
I told her the refs are trying to give 'em all the help they can....Doug will call them on that stuff.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

We need to blame the rule here. The call was correct based on the rule

(09-17-2018, 09:30 AM)SodaCityJag14 Wrote: We need to blame the rule here. The call was correct based on the rule

True but the flag was thrown on the wording of the rule, not on the intent.  I think the refs know what the applied intention is and this call was not is.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(09-17-2018, 03:58 PM)copycat Wrote:
(09-17-2018, 09:30 AM)SodaCityJag14 Wrote: We need to blame the rule here. The call was correct based on the rule

True but the flag was thrown on the wording of the rule, not on the intent.  I think the refs know what the applied intention is and this call was not is.

They throw flags for actions not intentions. Smith hit the receiver helmet to helmet, clear as day.

(09-16-2018, 08:37 PM)ColoJag Wrote: It was helmet to helmet though......not intentional at all and an impossible play to make without hitting his helmet but technically it is still helmet to helmet

If it was helmet to helmet than it falls on the offensive player. He dipped his head and that's when it happened.  Telvin made a text book tackle.  Just because helmets graze does not make it a penalty.

Looked like the right call (the way the rule is written anyway) to me after watching the replay last night. It was hard to tell at the game.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(09-17-2018, 08:32 AM)cincyjacket Wrote: Can the rule be applied to the ball carrier though? Running backs in particular are known to lower their heads to bust through the line of scrimmage.
Yes, once they get past the line of scrimmage.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

It's the most idiotic rule they've come up with in my eyes. You can't tackle without your head being in the way; unless we are just going to start sumo wrestling everyone.... Belly boys coming in baby!
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

(09-18-2018, 12:48 PM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: It's the most idiotic rule they've come up with in my eyes. You can't tackle without your head being in the way; unless we are just going to start sumo wrestling everyone.... Belly boys coming in baby!

You can absolutely tackle without your head being in the way. Rugby players do it every single time they tackle someone. NFL players just suck at it because they wear helmets so if they screw it up there is virtually no ill effect.

At least it wasn't like the Clay Matthews one against Cousins.. that was really really bad and it changed the outcome of the game most likely. The teams send it into the league for an explanation and they basically get a hallmark card back saying get well soon.
No pain, no gain.

(09-18-2018, 04:40 AM)DragonFury Wrote:
(09-17-2018, 03:58 PM)copycat Wrote: True but the flag was thrown on the wording of the rule, not on the intent.  I think the refs know what the applied intention is and this call was not is.

They throw flags for actions not intentions. Smith hit the receiver helmet to helmet, clear as day.

I'll take your word for it until I see other angles.  The one they showed at the stadium showed he lead with the shoulder.  I hope to watch the replay shortly.  I've been on the road since Monday morning.

Correct if I am wrong, but the stated intent of the rule was to prevent players from leading with helmet/using the helmet as a weapon.  That is not what happened in this case.  Even worse than this call was the Clay Mathews call.  I have no idea what he could have done differently.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(09-18-2018, 04:22 PM)BDragonFury Wrote:
(09-18-2018, 12:48 PM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: It's the most idiotic rule they've come up with in my eyes. You can't tackle without your head being in the way; unless we are just going to start sumo wrestling everyone.... Belly boys coming in baby!

You can absolutely tackle without your head being in the way. Rugby players do it every single time they tackle someone. NFL players just suck at it because they wear helmets so if they screw it up there is virtually no ill effect.

I disagree, but I respect your comparison to rugby. But the styles are way different.
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

(09-18-2018, 06:50 PM)copycat Wrote:
(09-18-2018, 04:40 AM)DragonFury Wrote: They throw flags for actions not intentions. Smith hit the receiver helmet to helmet, clear as day.

I'll take your word for it until I see other angles.  The one they showed at the stadium showed he lead with the shoulder.  I hope to watch the replay shortly.  I've been on the road since Monday morning.

Correct if I am wrong, but the stated intent of the rule was to prevent players from leading with helmet/using the helmet as a weapon.  That is not what happened in this case.  Even worse than this call was the Clay Mathews call.  I have no idea what he could have done differently.

Me, you and the whole football fan world agrees.  I don't think that Telvin should have been flagged and the Clay Mathews play was even worse.  They are ruining the game.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I can only find one angle online, and that one only shows Telvin's helmet going lower while Hogan's stay upright. The in-game view looked like Telvin's shoulder hit Hogan's facemask / helmet.

Per the rules, only Telvin can be flagged (Telvin or no one obviously) on that play because Hogan never lead with his helmet, but only if there's helmet-to-helmet contact and it wasn't shoulder-to-helmet.

Question 

Curious. Maybe I didn't see it correctly. Didn't Blake have a head to head on a run to the left? No flag. If what I'm reading is true, the defender should have been flagged for making contact with Blakes helmet.

(09-18-2018, 08:08 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(09-18-2018, 06:50 PM)copycat Wrote: I'll take your word for it until I see other angles.  The one they showed at the stadium showed he lead with the shoulder.  I hope to watch the replay shortly.  I've been on the road since Monday morning.

Me, you and the whole football fan world agrees.  I don't think that Telvin should have been flagged and the Clay Mathews play was even worse.  They are ruining the game.

And honestly... Yannick had a hit on Brady that was worse than the hit that Mathews had on Cousins, yet it wasn't flagged... Because it was a completely clean and legal hit, just like Mathews' hit..

The NFL is literally trying to make a rule happen on the fly and the Officials don't have any clue how to call it, because it's a stupid [BLEEP] rule.

They are going to kill this game

In this game here the Jags actually got away with what should've been a penalty but the ref didn't get the flag out fast enough and the Pats player didn't touch our guy. We got lucky on that one.
"Don't argue with an idiot, people watching may not be able to tell the difference."

(09-23-2018, 07:22 AM)AlsJagsFan Wrote: In this game here the Jags actually got away with what should've been a penalty but the ref didn't get the flag out fast enough and the Pats player didn't touch our guy. We got lucky 

That's not a flag if any of the Patriots don't move. So ya we did get lucky but had nothing to do with the ref not throwing his flag, if he did it would have been a bad call.

Interesting tweet that DiRocco sent out today on this topic: