Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Electric Vehicles Create More Pollution Than Diesel Engines

Electric Vehicles Create More Pollution Than Diesel Engines

Another study has called into question the environmental benefits of electric vehicles, citing the amount of carbon pollution emitted when making lithium ion batteries.

https://conservativepost.com/oh-my-elect...gLQ3fx4R_E
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Interesting. The more common argument I've seen is that every hybrid or electric vehicle purchased takes a gas powered car, presumably one with decent life left it in, off the road. The pollution created by doing that outweighs the gains of reducing fuel use.

Although, Lithium ion batteries do suck. They degrade quickly, relatively speaking, and once they've degraded past the point of being useful, you have a big piece of borderline explosive hazmat to deal with, and probably a lot of pollution given that the car is almost certainly worth less than the replacement battery and installation process.

Once hydrogen fuel cells or some other low-degradation power source is available, I'll look seriously into hybrid or electric vehicles.

As TJ pointed out, lithium batteries are going to cause a major hazmat and landfill issue once you compute the fact that there are currently 1.015 Billion cars in the world. Imagine 1 billion batteries in landfill every 10 years.

(10-19-2018, 12:02 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: As TJ pointed out, lithium batteries are going to cause a major hazmat and landfill issue once you compute the fact that there are currently 1.015 Billion cars in the world.  Imagine 1 billion batteries in landfill every 10 years.

Now imagine that many cars going with them. A ten-year-old car is never going to be worth the cost of replacing its most expensive component, especially if third party parts are not an option Trust me, for lithium batteries, they're not. Unless you like fire on all the things. 

Add in the cost of installation, and you're going to take vehicles that previously could serve for 20+ years and turn them into paperweights at 10. Of course, until people stop buying the crappy "hybrids" of today, what incentive do vehicle manufacturers have to invest seriously in finding better technology?

The study doesn't actually say what the headline claims.
Diesel cars, everywhere,emit more carbon over their life than electric, but, in some places, the difference is small.
If you can get more nuclear and renewables on more powergrids in more places, the problems described in the study go away.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Good points all around. Didn't think about the lifespan of the car shrinking as a result of the vast expense of replacing the battery. I currently have 2 vehicles with ~ 200,000 miles on each and would have never bought a new battery for them years ago --- I actually cringed when I spent ~ $500 on a new radiator.

(This post was last modified: 10-23-2018, 09:26 PM by EricC85.)

Battery technology is really the biggest obstical in hybrid autos. The batteries last way longer than 10 years by the way I see 12+ year old hybrid barriers regularly. And they can be rebuilt with some effort it's still expensive but that'll change with time. The cost of the replacement batteries is already coming down. Heck aftermarket stores have them starting around $1300. That's not expensive at all considering 5-6 years ago they where north of $4000.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]