Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The 2018 TE class

This TE class is looking pretty deep.  I think this will finally be the year we get our TE of the future.

Jace Sternberger

Noah Faint

Albert Okwuegbunan

Cableb Wilson

Irv Smith Jr.

Thoughts on any of these guys?  Really like the top 4 guys and could all go in the 1st imo or at least the top 2 rounds.  Really liked Caleb Wilson last year and having another good season without Rosen.  DJ said Faint is one of the best TE's to come out in the last 5 years.  Sternberger and the big O has had some monster games this year.  Both tall big bodies and good recievers.  Josh Oliver another guy to look out for at 6'5" 250

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

What makes you so sure that ASJ isn't our tight end?

(10-25-2018, 03:14 AM)TJBender Wrote: What makes you so sure that ASJ isn't our tight end?

I'm sure he will be but there is nobody behind him.  Regardless if he is on the team or not we still need a TE especially with the offense we want to run

Yeah. They need to draft another TE, IMO. ASJ has one year on his contract and he'll need a counterpart.

Given the potentiality they go after QB, OT, and DE early -- TE may wait until the fourth round. Of course, it's ridiculously early to speculate this stuff, but I'd be thinking mid rounder on this.

Thought they'd do it last year with Sprinkle or Kittle but they didn't.
Disappointing.

I think we get our QB in the 2nd round
I can see us going
1. AJ Brown
2. Finley, Lock, Jones
3. One of the TEs mentioned above
4. G

If we go QB in the first I think we get our TE in the 2nd

(10-25-2018, 12:46 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I think we get our QB in the 2nd round
I can see us going
1. AJ Brown
2. Finley, Lock, Jones
4. G

I don't value receiver that high until the 2020 draft personally, but,  ^ this could work if the guard selected has some experience playing tackle as well.
 They need more depth there desperately. 
(Just Richardson backing up Parnell/Robinson is not enough, Josh Wells' contract is up, and Walker needs to go)

I'd prefer:
1st.  QB
2nd. DE
3rd. Left Tackle that can play guard if needed
4th. TE
6th.  WR

(10-25-2018, 01:18 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-25-2018, 12:46 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I think we get our QB in the 2nd round
I can see us going
1. AJ Brown
2. Finley, Lock, Jones
4. G

I don't value receiver that high until the 2020 draft personally, but,  ^ this could work if the guard selected has some experience playing tackle as well.
(Just Richardson backing up Parnell/Robinson is not enough, Josh Wells' contract is up, and Walker needs to go)

I'd prefer:
1st.  QB
2nd. DE
4th. TE
6th.  WR

You're worried about depth while I'm more worried about the hole at RG with Cann being a FA.  I'd like us to fill our starting spots before we look at depth.  What WR do you speak of in 2020?

(10-25-2018, 01:44 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-25-2018, 01:18 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I don't value receiver that high until the 2020 draft personally, but,  ^ this could work if the guard selected has some experience playing tackle as well.

I'd prefer:
1st.  QB
2nd. DE
4th. TE
6th.  WR

You're worried about depth while I'm more worried about the hole at RG with Cann being a FA.  I'd like us to fill our starting spots before we look at depth.  What WR do you speak of in 2020?

Yeah - they need to replace Cann.  I just don't want to roll with Richardson being the only tackle behind an aging Parnell and a returning-from-knee-surgery Robinson. We're seeing first hand right now how that affects this line's performance. 

They are set to lose Shatley and Wells if they don't sign them to new deals as well.  So depth is set to be basically non-existent.

I'd really be focused more on the OL and I'd make WR an afterthought. Probably need to take two OL in the top four rounds. 

2020 receivers?? No clue.  Don't care.  There's always a few good ones and I don't like taking them in the first round if it's avoidable in that year's crop.

(10-25-2018, 02:04 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-25-2018, 01:44 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: You're worried about depth while I'm more worried about the hole at RG with Cann being a FA.  I'd like us to fill our starting spots before we look at depth.  What WR do you speak of in 2020?

Yeah - they need to replace Cann.  I just don't want to roll with Richardson being the only tackle behind an aging Parnell and a returning-from-knee-surgery Robinson. We're seeing first hand right now how that affects this line's performance. 

They are set to lose Shatley and Wells if they don't sign them to new deals as well.  So depth is set to be basically non-existent.

I'd really be focused more on the OL and I'd make WR an afterthought. Probably need to take two OL in the top four rounds. 

2020 receivers?? No clue.  Don't care.  There's always a few good ones and I don't like taking them in the first round if it's avoidable in that year's crop.

If true number 1 WR is on the board in the 1st when we pick and the value for QB isn't there I think that is the direction we go

(10-25-2018, 03:45 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-25-2018, 02:04 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yeah - they need to replace Cann.  I just don't want to roll with Richardson being the only tackle behind an aging Parnell and a returning-from-knee-surgery Robinson. We're seeing first hand right now how that affects this line's performance. 

If true number 1 WR is on the board in the 1st when we pick and the value for QB isn't there I think that is the direction we go

Maybe I'm putting the horse in front of the cart here, but I kinda want to land a number one quarterback before I worry about a number one receiver.

(This post was last modified: 10-25-2018, 05:11 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

As much as it would be nice to draft a TE fairly early, I just don't see it happening. I would almost guarantee we go QB and D-Line in the first 2 rounds. We need a replacement for Fowler and I really believe the team will spend a pick somewhere in the 2-4 round range on a run stuffing DT, so they can get Dareus off the books. It is an immensely deep DT class and we need to take advantage of that. We will also have to find a starting RG, since Cann is an UFA at the end of the season. That's 4 picks already accounted for (QB, DE, DT, RG). I doubt we will address WR in the draft since we took Chark this year. I think the earliest we would address TE is the 4th round, depending on what kind of compensatory pick we get for Fowler. Although there is some really good TE's in the top half of the draft class, it's not especially deep. I was satisfied with what ASJ did before his injury and I believe he will continue to be our starting TE next season. If we can somehow fill our major needs this coming off season, I believe TE could be the priority in the 2020 draft.

(10-25-2018, 03:45 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-25-2018, 02:04 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yeah - they need to replace Cann.  I just don't want to roll with Richardson being the only tackle behind an aging Parnell and a returning-from-knee-surgery Robinson. We're seeing first hand right now how that affects this line's performance. 

I don't even think WR will be considered in the first round or in the first 4 rounds of the draft. We drafted Chark last season and although he has not impressed so far, he's still a rookie. Our QB situation is a mess, so taking a WR in round 1 would be a waste IMO.

(10-25-2018, 05:08 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: As much as it would be nice to draft a TE fairly early, I just don't see it happening. I would almost guarantee we go QB and D-Line in the first 2 rounds. We need a replacement for Fowler and I really believe the team will spend a pick somewhere in the 2-4 round range on a run stuffing DT, so they can get Dareus off the books. It is an immensely deep DT class and we need to take advantage of that. We will also have to find a starting RG, since Cann is an UFA at the end of the season. That's 4 picks already accounted for (QB, DE, DT, RG). I doubt we will address WR in the draft since we took Chark this year. I think the earliest we would address TE is the 4th round, depending on what kind of compensatory pick we get for Fowler. Although there is some really good TE's in the top half of the draft class, it's not especially deep. I was satisfied with what ASJ did before his injury and I believe he will continue to be our starting TE next season. If we can somehow fill our major needs this coming off season,  I believe TE could be the priority in the 2020 draft.

(10-25-2018, 03:45 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If true number 1 WR is on the board in the 1st when we pick and the value for QB isn't there I think that is the direction we go

I don't even think WR will be considered in the first round or in the first 4 rounds of the draft. We drafted Chark last season and although he has not impressed so far, he's still a rookie. Our QB situation is a mess, so taking a WR in round 1 would be a waste IMO.

This...
OL and QB way bigger need than WR at this point.

Plus I'm really high on DeDe Westbrook.
Westbrook, Chark, Lee will be back... WR should be an afterthought... cheap FA or late round guys.
Maybe readdressed in 2020.

QB, RT, RG, TE should be the first 4 picks in some order or another.
Late round selections and cheap FAs should be RB, WR, and/or more OL depth

Sign me up for Irv Smith.

Good blocker and has serious wheels. Reminds me of Chris Herndon from last year a bit

(This post was last modified: 12-24-2018, 11:05 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

Everyone early in the season thought Noah Faint would be one of the best TEs to come out in the last few years. Only to find out he wasnt even the best TE on his own team. Faint was benched for Hockenson, one of the biggest reasons was because of Hockenson's ability to run block, something I thought we wanted in our TE untill we bassed on Kittle. Hopefully we learned from passing on Kittle and there isnt any doubt we need our TE of the future. If we go QB in the 1st and the Mackey award winner comes out and is there with our 2nd pick, it would be hard not to team our new QB up with this guy and get a couple olineman with our 2 3rd round picks if the value is there.

(12-24-2018, 11:04 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Everyone early in the season thought Noah Faint would be one of the best TEs to come out in the last few years.  Only to find out he wasnt even the best TE on his own team.  Faint was benched for Hockenson, one of the biggest reasons was because of Hockenson's ability to run block, something I thought we wanted in our TE untill we bassed on Kittle.  Hopefully we learned from passing on Kittle and there isnt any doubt we need our TE of the future.  If we go QB in the 1st and the Mackey award winner comes out and is there with our 2nd pick, it would be hard not to team our new QB up with this guy and get a couple olineman with our 2 3rd round picks if the value is there.

I'd rather Fant than Hockenson

(12-24-2018, 12:50 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-24-2018, 11:04 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Everyone early in the season thought Noah Faint would be one of the best TEs to come out in the last few years.  Only to find out he wasnt even the best TE on his own team.  Faint was benched for Hockenson, one of the biggest reasons was because of Hockenson's ability to run block, something I thought we wanted in our TE untill we bassed on Kittle.  Hopefully we learned from passing on Kittle and there isnt any doubt we need our TE of the future.  If we go QB in the 1st and the Mackey award winner comes out and is there with our 2nd pick, it would be hard not to team our new QB up with this guy and get a couple olineman with our 2 3rd round picks if the value is there.

I'd rather Fant than Hockenson
You'd rather the guy that got demoted and not as good as a blocker?

(12-24-2018, 12:53 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-24-2018, 12:50 PM)JackCity Wrote: I'd rather Fant than Hockenson
You'd rather the guy that got demoted and not as good as a blocker?

Yeah he's more athletic and prefer him as a receiver in the NFL. Still a good run blocker in his own right too. 

Hockenson is great and will be a good NFL TE, just not quite the receiving threat Fant will be. Both likely gone by the time we pick in the 2nd anyway.

(This post was last modified: 12-24-2018, 01:01 PM by BlueEyedJag.)

Dawson Knox is the name to watch.

6'5" Athletic freak from Ole Miss. He is going to blow the combine up.

I really think he will be the Kittle TE in this years draft...will fall to the 4th/5th round and be an absolute steal.

(This post was last modified: 12-24-2018, 01:29 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(12-24-2018, 12:56 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-24-2018, 12:53 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: You'd rather the guy that got demoted and not as good as a blocker?

Yeah he's more athletic and prefer him as a receiver in the NFL. Still a good run blocker in his own right too. 

Hockenson is great and will be a good NFL TE, just not quite the receiving threat Fant will be. Both likely gone by the time we pick in the 2nd anyway.

By all reports, Fant's blocking is the reason they started Hockenson over Fant.  Id be happy with either but give me the better blocker and the guy that won the award for the best college TE in the country.  I know we are going to want to run the ball and losing Lewis was a big part of our run game taking a hit, we need a good blocking TE.  If we are looking for a receiving TE Caleb Wilson is my guy and we could possibly have him in the 3rd  or trade up into the bottom of the 2nd.

(12-24-2018, 12:57 PM)BlueEyedJag Wrote: Dawson Knox is the name to watch.

6'5" Athletic freak from Ole Miss.  He is going to blow the combine up.

I really think he will be the Kittle TE in this years draft...will fall to the 4th/5th round and be an absolute steal.

The big O is a guy I like a lot and if we draft Lock he might be at the top of my list being they have been playing together the last couple of years.

(12-24-2018, 01:05 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-24-2018, 12:56 PM)JackCity Wrote: Yeah he's more athletic and prefer him as a receiver in the NFL. Still a good run blocker in his own right too. 

By all reports, Fant's blocking is the reason they started Hockenson over Fant.  Id be happy with either but give me the better blocker and the guy that won the award for the best college receiver in the country.  I know we are going to want to run the ball and losing Lewis was a big part of our run game taking a hit, we need a good blocking TE.  If we are looking for a receiving TE Caleb Wilson is my guy and we could possibly have him in the 3rd  or trade up into the bottom of the 2nd.

(12-24-2018, 12:57 PM)BlueEyedJag Wrote: Dawson Knox is the name to watch.

6'5" Athletic freak from Ole Miss.  He is going to blow the combine up.

The big O is a guy I like a lot and if we draft Lock he might be at the top of my list being they have been playing together the last couple of years.

That's a given, Hockenson is an elite blocker.
Fant is still good though , especially compared to most TEs coming from the college game.  

As a receiver he's more versatile , explosive and has better ball skills so that's where I'd lean. Winning an award doesn't overshadow the traits for me. I'd be fine with Hockenson too, it's just a style thing.