Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Pff mid season mock

(11-01-2018, 09:45 AM)Kane Wrote:
(11-01-2018, 07:49 AM)rfc17 Wrote: DIdnt realize how bad Haskins is when he faces pressure.  Can you imagine him on our team this year?  Yikes.

I think in the past the QBs at those schools just didnt have the physical skillset but put up gaudy numbers and teams took chances.  But now you see kids who have the skillsets going to those schools and I think teams are wising up to the fact that the physical ability is just as important as the numbers.  Lots of guys at Texas Tech have put up huge numbers.  But Mahomes is one of the first that has the NFL makeup.

That's a fair point but usually the easiest knock on a college QB is the "system" he played in and whether he can translate to the NFL.
But I think it is just more important these days to design an NFL system that works for your QB.

Give me a smart coach and a kid with high completion percentage and has good enough arm strength regardless of school, record, or stats.

Should check out the kid from Boise State, Rypien.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-31-2018, 11:25 AM)Kane Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 11:00 PM)ColoJag Wrote: Herbert might not even come out and Haskins might not either. I like Grier but the Big 12 is just so gung ho I never if the QB is for real, Lock has no pocket sense at all, NC State has struggled against good defenses, and the Buffalo guy looks really raw. I dont mind taking one with our 3rd pick but we are gonna have a lot of holes other than QB next year and considering the 2020 class is supposed to be absolutely LOADED dont really want to draft an ok guy that prevents us from drafting a stud in 2020

I believe if Herbert or Haskins receive a first round grade they'll come out.

I'm getting less and less worried about what type of schools these guys come from with the recent success of air raid QBs like Mahomes and Goff.
Just need the right coach/QB combo.
I think Finley (NC State) is a solid 1st round prospect QB honestly. And some have him as their #1 even over Herbert and Haskins.

I think Grier and Lock are both the more typical pocket QBs but ideally would be 2nd round picks. But QBs and pass rushers you over pay for often... I think they gotta pull the trigger on one of these 5 guys

Apparently even if Herbert gets a top 5 overall grade he will probably stay in school, of course that could be completely wrong but its rumored. 
My issue with Haskins is when he is under pressure he looks like a young QB and panics but I think he has the highest ceiling. However, is he a Cordarle Jones? 

With Grier, his footwork is not good, you know how sometimes when Bortles throws a pass he kind of does a mini jump? Grier also does this. He also throws alot of jump balls to #13, that former QB big white WR which works because that kid is pretty good but not sure about that at the NFL level.

Have not watched alot of Finley, know he struggled big time against Clemson but also know that Clemson is ALOT better as a defense than NC St is as an offense. Have to watch some of him.

Lock, he just looks really skittish in the pocket when he gets under any type of pressure and unlike Haskins(1 year starter) Lock has been starting for 4 years now and he has always had an absolute cannon but his pocket presence and decision making leave alot to be desired.

Daniel Jones from Duke is an in interesting kid, he is 6'5 220 and reminds me alot of Tannehill but with less mobility. Does not throw alot of deep balls but his bread and butter is short and mid range passing. He probably only gets a 3rd round grade and stays in school.

Brett Rypien is a kid I watched today and I was pretty impressed! He has a 68% completion percentage which is up from 62% a year ago. Another guy who mainly uses the mid to short passing game but sometimes he wants to crank it up and throw the deep ball (about 6ish times a game). That deep ball is really inconsistent,sometimes it is on an absolute dime and sometimes it is short and dangerous. Had a really good game against Troy, thought he played well against OK State(considering his OL),and was AWFUL against SDSU.

Next on my list are Finley,Tyree Jackson and Herbert

(11-01-2018, 04:56 PM)ColoJag Wrote:
(10-31-2018, 11:25 AM)Kane Wrote: I believe if Herbert or Haskins receive a first round grade they'll come out.

I'm getting less and less worried about what type of schools these guys come from with the recent success of air raid QBs like Mahomes and Goff.
Just need the right coach/QB combo.
I think Finley (NC State) is a solid 1st round prospect QB honestly. And some have him as their #1 even over Herbert and Haskins.

I think Grier and Lock are both the more typical pocket QBs but ideally would be 2nd round picks. But QBs and pass rushers you over pay for often... I think they gotta pull the trigger on one of these 5 guys

Apparently even if Herbert gets a top 5 overall grade he will probably stay in school, of course that could be completely wrong but its rumored. 
My issue with Haskins is when he is under pressure he looks like a young QB and panics but I think he has the highest ceiling. However, is he a Cordarle Jones? 

With Grier, his footwork is not good, you know how sometimes when Bortles throws a pass he kind of does a mini jump? Grier also does this. He also throws alot of jump balls to #13, that former QB big white WR which works because that kid is pretty good but not sure about that at the NFL level.

Have not watched alot of Finley, know he struggled big time against Clemson but also know that Clemson is ALOT better as a defense than NC St is as an offense. Have to watch some of him.

Lock, he just looks really skittish in the pocket when he gets under any type of pressure and unlike Haskins(1 year starter) Lock has been starting for 4 years now and he has always had an absolute cannon but his pocket presence and decision making leave alot to be desired.

Daniel Jones from Duke is an in interesting kid, he is 6'5 220 and reminds me alot of Tannehill but with less mobility. Does not throw alot of deep balls but his bread and butter is short and mid range passing. He probably only gets a 3rd round grade and stays in school.

Brett Rypien is a kid I watched today and I was pretty impressed! He has a 68% completion percentage which is up from 62% a year ago. Another guy who mainly uses the mid to short passing game but sometimes he wants to crank it up and throw the deep ball (about 6ish times a game). That deep ball is really inconsistent,sometimes it is on an absolute dime and sometimes it is short and dangerous. Had a really good game against Troy, thought he played well against OK State(considering his OL),and was AWFUL against SDSU.

Next on my list are Finley,Tyree Jackson and Herbert

Haven't heard that Herbert rumor about him staying. If your set to be #1 overall pick, why stay?
There isn't a lot of Haskins tape, so he is someone I worry about but you can definitely see the talent there.
I get that Grier has his short comings. I don't buy the "throws it to that big white WR jump balls a lot." My buddy is from WV, so we watch a lot (I'm a UF guy, so I paid attention to Grier when he left) my biggest thing with Grier is his arm is just aiight, and I think that gets him in trouble trying to make a throw happen he shouldn't. His decision making recently has people bagging on him like he throws a ton of picks, but that really isn't the case for his career. He's high comp %, high YPA, with good enough arm strength and mobility. Give him a good coach, cuz he's had McElwain and Dana for his collegiate career lol
Finley needs better weapons around him. NCState does him no favors, imo. He's got all the tools, a good comp %, solid YPA, doesn't throw a lot of INTs (doesn't throw a ton of TDs either)

I've cooled considerably on Lock, although his WRs have had some serious drops too. 

Thorson is someone I have never heard of but is "rising" as they say...
I'm going to be watching him more closely to see if I like what I see there.
I haven't watched a lick of Boise State so maybe I'll look into this Rypien kid you're talking about

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2018, 08:19 AM by The_Franchise_QB.)

This QB class sucks.

I just hope the Jags get it together and draft guys talented with a track record of success at every level. Enough with the projects. This isn't a science fair, get some football players.

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2018, 08:46 AM by P. Haze.)

(10-30-2018, 10:59 PM)JackCity Wrote: A WR is a luxury pick at this point

A “luxury” that Bortles desperately needs. I have no doubt he’ll be back next year and he needs the best receiver there is in this draft. The corp here sucks and you have to make this as easy for that dude as possible or they’ll be having the same type of year until his cap hit is off the books. Nothing is luxury about putting points on the board when the team can’t do it for nothing. I don’t care what they draft in the first, just be one of the best in that draft no matter the position.

I don't think WR is a luxury either, we desperately need a real #1 WR. But thinking that Bortles is salvageable if he can just get a great WR (or a great oline, or a great RB...all fails) is wrong think also. We need a true WR1, and we also desperately need a true QB1.

Yeah. A luxury is when you are set at that position, that we are not

(11-04-2018, 07:29 AM)P. Haze Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 10:59 PM)JackCity Wrote: A WR is a luxury pick at this point

A “luxury” that Bortles desperately needs. I have no doubt he’ll be back next year and he needs the best receiver there is in this draft. The corp here sucks and you have to make this as easy for that dude as possible or they’ll be having the same type of year until his cap hit is off the books. Nothing is luxury about putting points on the board when the team can’t do it for nothing. I don’t care what they draft in the first, just be one of the best in that draft no matter the position.
Drafting a rookie WR in the first and expecting him to be a true #1 year one  to help Blake wouldn't be wise.  It's going to be a really deep class at WR so I'd prefer to aim for a good starter on day 2.  Kinda similar to the strategy during the really deep RB classes. 

You could probably sell me on N'Keal in the first but the other guys I'm good on.

I guess you guys are right that it wouldn't classify as a luxury if we need it.

(10-30-2018, 10:04 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 06:32 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Naw, to high.  Would rather Grier in the 2nd.  I want a QB that can play under pressure.  He wont have the kind of time like he does at Ohio State like he will in the pros at he will see pressure every other snap.  Would much rather a true number 1 and Grier

You must not have seen OSU play this season. They have one of the worst offensive lines in their history. They are giving up pressures on nearly every play and they can't open running lanes, despite having very talented RB's. That's why I am so impressed by Haskins. He feels the pressure coming, makes quick reads and has a very fast, accurate release. He can run if necessary, but make no mistake, he is a pocket QB. I don't see Grier as a franchise QB at all. If he were still on the board in the 3rd, I'd pass on him. Everyone has their favorites though.
You would take Haskins in the 1st and pass on Grier in the 3rd??? Wow... to each his own i guess but i believe Grier is the best QB in this draft, i got Haskins as number 6... were all gonna preach about "our guy" though, but I think its safe to say everyone wishes TUA was eligible for the draft

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk