Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Will Grier

(03-21-2019, 01:39 PM)JagJohn Wrote: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-10-teams/

Grier pro day today, apparently he was impressive and is rising up draft boards again.

The circle of life is complete, in December Grier was talked about as a first round pick, by February people were talking about the 4th round, now he's being talked about as round one or two QB again. How fickle draft coverage can be! Personally I think he will be gone by the end of the 2nd, and it was probably ever thus.

Not really a surprise to me.  Looks like he might finally be healthy

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-11-2019, 11:50 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-08-2019, 04:43 PM)Kane Wrote: Honestly the only bad reviews on Grier come from "know-it-all" message boarders 
Most of the scouting stuff I've seen on him has been mostly positive with the biggest knocks being "not ideal size" which apparently isn't going to be a thing in the NFL if they keep drafting 5' "10" QBs
Other than that they said his arm strength wasn't elite.... yet is tops in this particular class
And he has a tendency to toss INTs when under pressure or when he should just throw it away (which is coachable I think)

And honestly I think the majority of the anti-Grier stuff comes from people who hate on the Gators as much as possible lol even though he was much more a Mountaineer than he ever was a Gator

Death , taxes and people thinking the combine velocity scores actually mean anything. 

Just read the results every year and compare to what you see on the field, they give laughably little insight into how hard guys throw the ball

You're right I shouldn't confuse velocity with arm strength.
Obviously Grier doesn't have the strongest arm of this class, it's Ty or Lock I would guess.

However, high velocity tends to be because of better mechanics and throwing angles.
Which could be more important than overall arm strength.

Which for the record is really being touted as "good enough" or "not elite" and not so much as bad or weak.

(03-21-2019, 01:39 PM)JagJohn Wrote: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-10-teams/

Grier pro day today, apparently he was impressive and is rising up draft boards again.

The circle of life is complete, in December Grier was talked about as a first round pick, by February people were talking about the 4th round, now he's being talked about as round one or two QB again. How fickle draft coverage can be! Personally I think he will be gone by the end of the 2nd, and it was probably ever thus.

Sounds right. 

I think he's very good value in the second round and an absolute steal in the third.

I'd take him in the 3rd.

(03-21-2019, 04:43 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Sounds right. 

I think he's very good value in the second round and an absolute steal in the third.
Agreed.  It wouldnt shock me one bit if he gets drafted in the 1st.

I wanted him, and still want him. Don't know why he has slid down the board, but he's gonna make some team happy. But, there's no way the Jags draft him now. We have so many holes on offense... our draft picks are gonna have to be about protecting Foles and putting weapons around him. If we don't, and Foles struggles this season, then there will be too much speculation about how Foles wasn't provided the tools to get the job done.

(03-21-2019, 09:36 PM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote: I wanted him, and still want him. Don't know why he has slid down the board, but he's gonna make some team happy. But, there's no way the Jags draft him now. We have so many holes on offense... our draft picks are gonna have to be about protecting Foles and putting weapons around him. If we don't, and Foles struggles this season, then there will be too much speculation about how Foles wasn't provided the tools to get the job done.

Grier "slid" because of his meh showing at Senior bowl and sitting out the bowl game, along with the "arm strength concerns".

He was always talked about as a fringe first rounder and with Haskins and Murray declaring it kinda pushed him down, then after Senior bowl where he got a quarter or so to show off his stuff he was so-so and at the combine was off-timing quite a bit.
After his pro day he's "rising" because he looked better working with people who know him and he's probably fully healthy and there's no pressure.

The reality is he probably never moved from being a fringe first round to second round QB on most NFL GM draft boards.
Most of the "sliding" up and down boards is done by mockers and people like us 

And I agree, I don't see us selecting QB anywhere in the first 3 rounds.
Which is unfortunate... but in the next 2 drafts there are some studs... so Foles is the dude for now.

(03-22-2019, 09:36 AM)Kane Wrote:
(03-21-2019, 09:36 PM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote: I wanted him, and still want him. Don't know why he has slid down the board, but he's gonna make some team happy. But, there's no way the Jags draft him now. We have so many holes on offense... our draft picks are gonna have to be about protecting Foles and putting weapons around him. If we don't, and Foles struggles this season, then there will be too much speculation about how Foles wasn't provided the tools to get the job done.

Grier "slid" because of his meh showing at Senior bowl and sitting out the bowl game, along with the "arm strength concerns".

He was always talked about as a fringe first rounder and with Haskins and Murray declaring it kinda pushed him down, then after Senior bowl where he got a quarter or so to show off his stuff he was so-so and at the combine was off-timing quite a bit.
After his pro day he's "rising" because he looked better working with people who know him and he's probably fully healthy and there's no pressure.

The reality is he probably never moved from being a fringe first round to second round QB on most NFL GM draft boards.
Most of the "sliding" up and down boards is done by mockers and people like us 

And I agree, I don't see us selecting QB anywhere in the first 3 rounds.
Which is unfortunate... but in the next 2 drafts there are some studs... so Foles is the dude for now.

I dont think arm strength was ever a concern for Grier among real team GMs and scouts.  His injury I believe was what has caused him to slide.  The same reason he didnt play in the Bowl Game

So it's cool to be on the Grier bandwagon again? Right on, but some of never left. If he's there at 38, I think that's tempting no matter what we need right now.

I don't know why his stock would have been fluctuating in the first place, nothing has happened except for some underwear throwing with unfamiliar targets. He's a low end starter that should be more of a top end backup Dalton type that should go some time on day 2, that's unchanged from months ago to today.

If he's still there at our first third, I strongly consider the option of picking him. It all depends on who else remains available, and whether they fill needs on the roster or represent remarkable value.

If he's still there at our second third, I don't think twice about turning in the card with his name on it.

(This post was last modified: 04-04-2019, 09:49 AM by Kane.)

(03-22-2019, 05:15 PM)Upper Wrote:  He's a low end starter that should be more of a top end backup Dalton type that should go some time on day 2

Movethesticks, is that you?

(04-04-2019, 09:00 AM)Mikey Wrote: If he's still there at our first third, I strongly consider the option of picking him. It all depends on who else remains available, and whether they fill needs on the roster or represent remarkable value.

If he's still there at our second third, I don't think twice about turning in the card with his name on it.

If Grier is available in the 3rd I'll eat my hat.

(04-04-2019, 09:00 AM)Mikey Wrote: If he's still there at our first third, I strongly consider the option of picking him. It all depends on who else remains available, and whether they fill needs on the roster or represent remarkable value.

Agree

I would gladly take Grier with our 2nd. Don’t get the hate in the media about arm strength as it’s above average. If Foles doesn’t pan out or gets hurt I would love Grier to be next in line.

(03-22-2019, 05:15 PM)Upper Wrote: I don't know why his stock would have been fluctuating in the first place, nothing has happened except for some underwear throwing with unfamiliar targets. He's a low end starter that should be more of a top end backup Dalton type that should go some time on day 2, that's unchanged from months ago to today.

If that's the comparison you want to make, he would fit below Dalton but above Garrard.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

1st rd - BAP
2nd rd - BAP
3rd rd - Will Grier
3rd rd- BAP

Why do I have a feeling the patriots pick WIll Grier up some way some how in two weeks.
LOVE THEM JAGUARS!

(04-14-2019, 11:22 AM)JAGFAN4EVER! Wrote: 1st rd - BAP
2nd rd - BAP
3rd rd - Will Grier
3rd rd- BAP

Why do I have a feeling the patriots pick WIll Grier up some way some how in two weeks.

I think they'll trade for Rosen.

(04-14-2019, 11:22 AM)JAGFAN4EVER! Wrote: 1st rd - BAP
2nd rd - BAP
3rd rd - Will Grier
3rd rd- BAP

Thats the 1st thing I thought.  Jimmy G all over again.
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

So my hat was tasty.

Sorry I'm late. Haven't been online much the past few weeks.

Carolina got good value and a little bit of leverage come contract talk time with Cam. If Grier can develop for a year they could let Cam go in free agency. He's been great for them... but his style of play and his actual production might not warrant a 3rd contract from Carolina.

I was surprised Daniel Jones and Lock went before Grier.... but we'll see how it all shakes out.