Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Will Grier

Rudolph was super overvalued by some members on this board and I was probably the least bit shocked poster to see him fall to the 3rd round. Maybe he’ll become something someday learning behind Ben (and Dobbs) but he’s certainly not the plug and play savior that many thought he would’ve been for this team.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-10-2018, 05:22 PM)knarnn Wrote: Rudolph was super overvalued by some members on this board and I was probably the least bit shocked poster to see him fall to the 3rd round. Maybe he’ll become something someday learning behind Ben (and Dobbs) but he’s certainly not the plug and play savior that many thought he would’ve been for this team.

Regardless if he wasnt the plug and play savior for the team this year and he needed a year to sit and would be ready next year, it would of been worth it.

(11-10-2018, 06:20 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-10-2018, 05:22 PM)knarnn Wrote: Rudolph was super overvalued by some members on this board and I was probably the least bit shocked poster to see him fall to the 3rd round. Maybe he’ll become something someday learning behind Ben (and Dobbs) but he’s certainly not the plug and play savior that many thought he would’ve been for this team.

Regardless if he wasnt the plug and play savior for the team this year and he needed a year to sit and would be ready next year, it would of been worth it.

I’m not sure if he’s nothing more than a career backup.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(11-10-2018, 11:09 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(11-10-2018, 06:20 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Regardless if he wasnt the plug and play savior for the team this year and he needed a year to sit and would be ready next year, it would of been worth it.

I’m not sure if he’s nothing more than a career backup.

We shall see.  I

(11-09-2018, 05:48 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 05:39 PM)JackCity Wrote: He sure did. He's a backup caliber QB who Rudolph was thoroughly outplayed by all summer.  I don't think throwing Rudolph in this mess would have done anything

You have no clue what Dobbs would do as a starter.  He looked like more than just a back up caliber QB in the preseason, the Steelers have 3 good QBs.

If we did draft Rudolph I would of sat him the first half of the season anyway.  This week after this bye would of been the perfect time to pur Rudolph in as a starter and give him a shot.  Hell, Kessler should start this week imo.  

Everyone except Dave Caldwell and Doug Marrone know what Bortles is at QB

I wonder what everyone else in the front office think of BB while we are on the subject.
LOVE THEM JAGUARS!

He would be ideal here. I like his accuracy, his ability to hang tight in the pocket and deliver. He really has the makings of a franchise passer at this level. At the minimum he'll challenge Bortles for his job in 2019. The only other passer I like outside of Grier is Finely but Finley doesn't make nearly as much plays as Grier has.

I think Finley would be a nice insurance policy though. But if they can't land Grier in RD1 I hope it's A.J Brown at WR and maybe Finley there on day two in RD2. Maybe RD3 depending on how the combine shakes out.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 11-12-2018, 10:58 AM by Flagler Jagsfan.)

I really hope we don't try to get a "bargain" QB in the later rounds. We decided that we would just "get" a QB this past draft, and it was basically a wasted pick. This team needs the go all in on getting a QB. Stopping short of that equals another year of mediocrity at best.

Get Grier.

The chances of getting a true "franchise quarterback" after the 1st round are extremely low. In looking at a list of quarterbacks drafted since the year 2000, these are the success stories:

Drew Brees (2nd)

Russell Wilson (3rd)

Kirk Cousins (4th) Borderline franchise qb

Tom Brady (6th) A total anomaly which likely won't happen again for another 20 years.

It is true that there have also been many first round busts, but the chances of getting a franchise quarterback in the draft go down immeasurably after round 1. Bottom line is that a quarterback needy team who has at least a mid-1st round pick needs to go for even though they will be highly criticized if the player fails. It's very hard for me to imagine that there won't be at least 2 quarterbacks from the class of 2019 who eventually become quality (if not elite) starters. It is the job of the team's high-priced general manager and scouting staff to find the right guy. No doubt some luck is involved in addition to whether that player goes to a team which surrounds him with other quality players at other positions. After failing with Leftwich, Gabbert and Bortles (yes, I'd call him a bad pick at this point), maybe the 4th time will be the charm.

I been Pounding the table for Grier for some time now and every game i watch as time goes on justifies my thoughts. Its crazy to me that he isnt ranked higher. Kind of reminds me of the 2017 draft where everyone was high on Trubisky and Watson but not really on Mahomes... not saming the QBs styles are the same jus talent level... im fine with it though if Grier falls to us im all for it. Only teams that stand in our way is the Giants and Bucs, maybe the Broncos

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

(11-12-2018, 10:35 AM)Caldrac Wrote: He would be ideal here. I like his accuracy, his ability to hang tight in the pocket and deliver. He really has the makings of a franchise passer at this level. At the minimum he'll challenge Bortles for his job in 2019. The only other passer I like outside of Grier is Finely but Finley doesn't make nearly as much plays as Grier has.

I think Finley would be a nice insurance policy though. But if they can't land Grier in RD1 I hope it's A.J Brown at WR and maybe Finley there on day two in RD2. Maybe RD3 depending on how the combine shakes out.

Saturday was my first chance to watch him play and I would be happy if the team took him.  I don't see how Dave doesn't attempt SOMETHING to fill the void at QB.

(11-14-2018, 12:51 AM)Jords808 Wrote: I been Pounding the table for Grier for some time now and every game i watch as time goes on justifies my thoughts. Its crazy to me that he isnt ranked higher. Kind of reminds me of the 2017 draft where everyone was high on Trubisky and Watson but not really on Mahomes... not saming the QBs styles are the same jus talent level... im fine with it though if Grier falls to us im all for it. Only teams that stand in our way is the Giants and Bucs, maybe the Broncos

??? 

Watson was the QB that everyone wasn't high on.

(11-14-2018, 03:12 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote:
(11-14-2018, 12:51 AM)Jords808 Wrote: I been Pounding the table for Grier for some time now and every game i watch as time goes on justifies my thoughts. Its crazy to me that he isnt ranked higher. Kind of reminds me of the 2017 draft where everyone was high on Trubisky and Watson but not really on Mahomes... not saming the QBs styles are the same jus talent level... im fine with it though if Grier falls to us im all for it. Only teams that stand in our way is the Giants and Bucs, maybe the Broncos

??? 

Based on this board, the 10-12 draftniks I follow on twitter, plus the standard mainstream football sites -  many, many folks were much higher on Watson than Mahomes.  I saw lots of "late first round" grades on Watson. 

Hell - I'd say 20% of the Jags fan regulars on this board at the time were either lobbying for that pick or saying they were at least OK with it in a trade down. 

Personally - I liked Mahomes in a 1st round trade down scenario - but he went even higher than I was suggesting to move back. So I still would have missed on him. Several prominent big boards still had him as a second round prospect right up until draft day.

I did not like Watson - though I remember plenty who did around here.

(11-14-2018, 03:12 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote:

??? 

Nfl.coms Player Grades that draft
Trubisky 6.31
Watson 5.99
Mahomes 5.87

Idk what mock drafts you were looking up but 95 % of the ones i saw had Trubisky and Watson getting picked higher than Mahomes... i remember everyone thought the cheifs made a terrible pick especially after watson played his rookie year and looked great... i personally liked Watson and Mahomes going into the draft, Mahomes more so.

(11-14-2018, 10:33 PM)Jords808 Wrote:
(11-14-2018, 03:12 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: ??? 

Nfl.coms Player Grades that draft
Trubisky 6.31
Watson 5.99
Mahomes 5.87

Idk what mock drafts you were looking up but 95 % of the ones i saw had Trubisky and Watson getting picked higher than Mahomes... i remember everyone thought the cheifs made a terrible pick especially after watson played his rookie year and looked great... i personally liked Watson and Mahomes going into the draft, Mahomes more so.

A lot of people on here thought Watson was a bust for some weird reason.

(11-14-2018, 03:25 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-14-2018, 03:12 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: ??? 

Based on this board, the 10-12 draftniks I follow on twitter, plus the standard mainstream football sites -  many, many folks were much higher on Watson than Mahomes.  I saw lots of "late first round" grades on Watson. 

Hell - I'd say 20% of the Jags fan regulars on this board at the time were either lobbying for that pick or saying they were at least OK with it in a trade down. 

Personally - I liked Mahomes in a 1st round trade down scenario - but he went even higher than I was suggesting to move back. So I still would have missed on him. Several prominent big boards still had him as a second round prospect right up until draft day.

I did not like Watson - though I remember plenty who did around here.

Honestly Mahomes was barely on my radar. (mostly because I don't think Mahomes is as successful as he has been under a different coach/scheme... Reid and Smith was perfect for the kid to sit under and learn for a year)
I was not a fan of Watson as a first rounder. (While he is talented and is likely proving me wrong, I felt he relied too much on his legs and doesn't make enough plays from the pocket... however.. it seems in the new NFL, pocket passers might be a dying breed and the new QB may be a guy that moves the pocket a la Rodgers, Mahomes, Baker, etc.)
My favorite guy from that draft was Trubisky. (who looked almost bust status last year but has really come along nicely)

QBs in the draft are the most crap shootiest of crap shoots though.
Grier is no sure-thing, as most QBs aren't. But he's far above what Bortles is and anything we're going to get in free agency or cheap trade.
He has all the tools.
Hell he's performed well with Mac and Dana as his coaches... he might even do good under Doug and Nate (if no changes are made there)

(11-15-2018, 06:33 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(11-14-2018, 10:33 PM)Jords808 Wrote: Nfl.coms Player Grades that draft
Trubisky 6.31
Watson 5.99
Mahomes 5.87

A lot of people on here thought Watson was a bust for some weird reason.

Yep.

There are couple of lurkers/posters around here who still live in the Jim Crow Era.

(11-15-2018, 11:30 AM)knarnn Wrote:
(11-15-2018, 06:33 AM)JackCity Wrote: A lot of people on here thought Watson was a bust for some weird reason.

Yep.

There are couple of lurkers/posters around here who still live in the Jim Crow Era.

[Image: 60920367.jpg?w=900]

(11-15-2018, 11:30 AM)knarnn Wrote:
(11-15-2018, 06:33 AM)JackCity Wrote: A lot of people on here thought Watson was a bust for some weird reason.

Yep.

While I actually wouldn't doubt this ^  to be true - I'd like to point out that my trepidation about the player came from a trend I thought I'd spotted in his college cut-ups.  I saw a lot of throws that looked liked they'd be incompletions or interceptions at the next level based on timing and accuracy.  He's done a fine job of adjusting to defenses in the NFL and I was wrong. 

Also - everyone - can we please not turn this into a race discussion so I don't have to shut it down or move it. 
Thanks.

(This post was last modified: 11-15-2018, 09:01 PM by knarnn.)

(11-15-2018, 02:22 PM)Kane Wrote:
(11-15-2018, 11:30 AM)knarnn Wrote: Yep.

[Image: 60920367.jpg?w=900]

Dead serious. 

It’s really only like one or two posters but they exist. Idiots being idiots. They know who they are. But I won’t elaborate further like NYC4jags indicated.

Mechanics seem a bit inconsistent today so far, but that 22 yard TD pass was perfection.