Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Herbert. Lock. Finley. The Jags must choose one next year.

(11-05-2018, 03:03 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-05-2018, 01:28 PM)Jords808 Wrote: You said he was not accurate, when he completes 70%... Not all of  his passes are dink and dunk... he makes a lot of medium to deep passes... Haskins plays a lot of the same style offense, shotgun, 5 wr sets... plus most high notes on Grier by scouts is his progression through his wr routes... i feel like you dont watch him

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I haven't seen all his games, but I watched him play Kansas and Iowa State. Sorry, I'm not impressed. A lot of his passes, are not on target. I see his receivers having to make adjustments to catch the ball or having to stop to make the receptions, rather than him hitting them in stride. It's little things like this that can determine success at the next level and I didn't see him going through his progressions. What I saw, was him consistently keying in on his first read even when he wasn't being pressured. I feel like a lot of you guys over inflate his value, simply because he went to Florida.

While I did notice some plays where he keys on one guy, the cut-ups and highlights I watched gave me the exact opposite impression of the bolded above.  I saw an impressive amount of receivers catching the ball in stride from Grier's passes. I did not watch the KState or Iowa St games though.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Barely a scant mention of Jones, and no mention of Tyree Jackson? What I've seen people say about them is awfully enticing.

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2018, 04:13 PM by JackCity.)

(11-05-2018, 04:04 PM)Upper Wrote: Barely a scant mention of Jones, and no mention of Tyree Jackson? What I've seen people say about them is awfully enticing.

I think Jones is fools gold but I like Tyree a lot. 

He's what people thought Josh Allen was.

(11-05-2018, 09:28 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-05-2018, 05:53 AM)JackCity Wrote: Yep , can't afford to waste 3-4 years finding out if they are the guy or not.   

I would say poise personally but accuracy is right up there (and college QBs rarely have very good poise anyway). It's pretty funny/sad but every time I look at a QB prospect now I'm kinda amazed by how easily they throw ball compared to our beloved Blake. 

Herbert for instance throws an absolutely beautiful ball with good mechanics.

I agree. And this is one of the things making me leary of Lock in the little I've seen of him. His mechanics are somewhere between Blake's and Herbert's.

Was going to say that Lock reminds me of Davis Webb but wasn't sure if you had moved on or not.......

(11-05-2018, 04:04 PM)Upper Wrote: Barely a scant mention of Jones, and no mention of Tyree Jackson? What I've seen people say about them is awfully enticing.

Haven't checked them out yet, but they are definitely on the remaining list. 

Daniel Jones, Jackson, Stidham, Browning, Rypien, Thorson, Fitzgerald...

(11-05-2018, 04:11 PM)JackCity Wrote:

I think Jones is fools gold but I like Tyree a lot. 

He's what people thought Josh Allen was.

(11-05-2018, 09:28 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I agree. And this is one of the things making me leary of Lock in the little I've seen of him. His mechanics are somewhere between Blake's and Herbert's.

Was going to say that Lock reminds me of Davis Webb but wasn't sure if you had moved on or not.......

I'll never move on from Davis Webb
Laughing 
He looked GREAT in preseason this year...

...before being cut.  I did lobby for him in the fourth round FWIW.

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2018, 04:36 PM by Kane.)

(11-05-2018, 01:28 PM)Jords808 Wrote: You said he was not accurate, when he completes 70%... Not all of  his passes are dink and dunk... he makes a lot of medium to deep passes... Haskins plays a lot of the same style offense, shotgun, 5 wr sets... plus most high notes on Grier by scouts is his progression through his wr routes... i feel like you dont watch him

I haven't seen all his games, but I watched him play Kansas and Iowa State. Sorry, I'm not impressed. A lot of his passes, are not on target. I see his receivers having to make adjustments to catch the ball or having to stop to make the receptions, rather than him hitting them in stride. It's little things like this that can determine success at the next level and I didn't see him going through his progressions. What I saw, was him consistently keying in on his first read even when he wasn't being pressured. I feel like a lot of you guys over inflate his value, simply because he went to Florida.

So you've watched a total of 2 Grier games with one possibly being his worst career game ever (Iowa State, the busters)?

C'mon man lol

He went to Florida a grand total of like 7 games. UF isn't why people are showing him love and with a comment like that it would seem you're baggin on him because he went to Florida (and then moved on to a Big12 team)

Perhaps he does lock onto his first read a lot (a lot of college QBs do this, many times it is because this is how college coaches build their offenses. Read 1, maybe read 2 or flat toss, tuck and run. But I've also watched games where when he had time he's gone to his 2nd and 3rd looks. No one should be saying these guys are coming in and being superstar all-pros right away. And I don't think anyone is. But to act like he's some scrub (based on 2 games) is silly....and that's being nice.

My list is currently
Grier or Lock in the first. (I'm just assuming Herbert is as good as everyone says he is and is going to the top team that needs a QB and assuming that isn't us lol)
Finley or Haskins in the 2nd. Or trading back in the first.

Of course I still haven't seen much of guys like Rypien or that kid from Northwestern. But I haven't gone full draft mode yet with 8 games remaining.

For the Grier people, do you like the Mayfield comparison? I feel like Grier isnt the cleanest QB in terms of mechanics but he just wins and is extremely competitive with decent athleticism.

Also, for the person on the last page who said Herbert throws a beautiful ball, you're absolutely right. He can put some bullets on Wrs and then drop some beautiful lofted ones. I'm just concerned about his size in terms of weight and also it seems that he has one read and then just wants to run.

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2018, 04:49 PM by Kane.)

(11-05-2018, 04:35 PM)ColoJag Wrote: For the Grier people, do you like the Mayfield comparison? I feel like Grier isnt the cleanest QB in terms of mechanics but he just wins and is extremely competitive with decent athleticism.

Also, for the person on the last page who said Herbert throws a beautiful ball, you're absolutely right. He can put some bullets on Wrs and then drop some beautiful lofted ones. I'm just concerned about his size in terms of weight and also it seems that he has one read and then just wants to run.

Grier = Mayfield? Maybe...

I'll say this... knowing I'm just a fan I tend to trust certain pro's in the biz. My favorite scout/analyst is Daniel Jeremiah.
Not saying he's perfect cuz scouting isn't a perfect art really... but he's been spot on more times than most, imo.

He did a write up in the summer about Will Grier that is pretty spot on.
His comp for Grier is Andy Dalton. Lacks the "elite size" but makes plays in and outside of the pocket. Which I guess is a similar Mayfield take...
Draft scout dot com has Grier as the #2 QB in this draft.

And for all those doubting the QB talent in this draft... 
from an SI article quoting Dilfer and Palmer
“I don’t think from a talent perspective those guys too far off, they’ll be right there with last year’s class,” Palmer said. “I don’t see a drop off in talent between some of the guys in last year’s class that went high and some of the guys in this year’s class. ... I think this class is better than people think. And there’s going to be a couple guys who put together great years and rise here at the end.”

“It’s not that [the quarterbacks are] not as good as last year, there’s not going to be as much need, so the quarterbacks aren’t going to be the main conversation piece for the next nine months,” said Dilfer. “So taking all that into consideration, I’d say Stidham and Lock will be in the narrative all year long as first-round picks. The other ones, it will be a taste conversation. Where do they fit? Who needs one?”

This SI article is from the summertime, prior to games being played, so obviously the talk on Stidham has cooled tremendously and Lock has slid quite a bit too.

(11-05-2018, 03:09 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-05-2018, 03:03 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I haven't seen all his games, but I watched him play Kansas and Iowa State. Sorry, I'm not impressed. A lot of his passes, are not on target. I see his receivers having to make adjustments to catch the ball or having to stop to make the receptions, rather than him hitting them in stride. It's little things like this that can determine success at the next level and I didn't see him going through his progressions. What I saw, was him consistently keying in on his first read even when he wasn't being pressured. I feel like a lot of you guys over inflate his value, simply because he went to Florida.

While I did notice some plays where he keys on one guy, the cut-ups and highlights I watched gave me the exact opposite impression of the bolded above.  I saw an impressive amount of receivers catching the ball in stride from Grier's passes. I did not watch the KState or Iowa St games though.

There is a big difference between watching cut-ups and highlights and watching actual games. The cut-ups and highlights only show the player's best throws and runs. Real games, where you get to see every throw good and bad, provide a much more accurate eyeball test. Of course it's not easy to see every player in game situations. I have satellite t.v. which allows me to see a variety of games and I try to watch different QB prospects as much as I can, when they are available. I know not every Jags' fan can do this whether it be certain games not being allowed in the area or people having things to do and they aren't able to see the games. Luckily, I don't have much of a life, so I get to watch football all day on Saturdays. Smile

Grier was pretty good at Florida but no where close to where he is now. If we want Grier we will probably have to take him in the first

(11-05-2018, 04:32 PM)Kane Wrote:
(11-05-2018, 03:03 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I haven't seen all his games, but I watched him play Kansas and Iowa State. Sorry, I'm not impressed. A lot of his passes, are not on target. I see his receivers having to make adjustments to catch the ball or having to stop to make the receptions, rather than him hitting them in stride. It's little things like this that can determine success at the next level and I didn't see him going through his progressions. What I saw, was him consistently keying in on his first read even when he wasn't being pressured. I feel like a lot of you guys over inflate his value, simply because he went to Florida.

So you've watched a total of 2 Grier games with one possibly being his worst career game ever (Iowa State, the busters)?

C'mon man lol

He went to Florida a grand total of like 7 games. UF isn't why people are showing him love and with a comment like that it would seem you're baggin on him because he went to Florida (and then moved on to a Big12 team)

Perhaps he does lock onto his first read a lot (a lot of college QBs do this, many times it is because this is how college coaches build their offenses. Read 1, maybe read 2 or flat toss, tuck and run. But I've also watched games where when he had time he's gone to his 2nd and 3rd looks. No one should be saying these guys are coming in and being superstar all-pros right away. And I don't think anyone is. But to act like he's some scrub (based on 2 games) is silly....and that's being nice.

My list is currently
Grier or Lock in the first. (I'm just assuming Herbert is as good as everyone says he is and is going to the top team that needs a QB and assuming that isn't us lol)
Finley or Haskins in the 2nd. Or trading back in the first.

Of course I still haven't seen much of guys like Rypien or that kid from Northwestern. But I haven't gone full draft mode yet with 8 games remaining.

I never said Grier was a scrub. I have the QB's ranked.....

1. Herbert
2. Haskins
3. Lock
4. Grier
5. Rypien
6. Jones
7. Finley
8. Thorsen

I simply want the Jags to take the best possible QB and I don't believe that is Grier. I just see him as too much of a risk. Lock I am on the fence about and I see enough in Haskins that makes me believe he can be a franchise QB in time, but I wouldn't start him right away. Herbert is the only guy I have no reservations about. I hate drafting QB's, because if you take the wrong one, it can set your team back for years and we simply cannot screw up again. I believe Herbert, Haskins, Lock and Grier are all first rounders, should they declare. Personally, I'd only take Herbert and to a lesser degree, Haskins with a first round selection though. If those two are not a possibility, I believe taking Rypien in the 3rd makes much more sense. He flashes at times and I can see him being good, with the right NFL coaching, but he is far from a sure thing. Taking him in the 3rd would be minimal risk and would allow us to cut ties, should he turn out to be a bust. 

I just saw much more promise in the 2018 QB class than I see in this one. I don't hate Grier at all, I just don't have the confidence in him that you do. I still believe he goes in the mid to latter part of the first round though. Possibly to Miami, Denver or Tampa Bay. Maybe even as a QB of the future for the Chargers or Saints.

Im not a Florida fan at all nor am i a West Virginia fan... i actually dont like Florida at all... but yes he does key in on guys at times but its because its the system he plays in... he is one of the best qbs at going through his progressions... his toughest test was jus last week against texas and half the game was dink and donks again because of the system, the ofher half were great throws... his arm is fine the only thing in my opinion he need to work on is his footwork which according to a lot of the scouts is an easy fix... Lock is a big project the typical "boom or bust guy"... Finley has back up qb written all over him... Herbert would be great but hes not getting out of the top 5

For what they’re worth, the thoughts of Matt Miller from Bleacher Report .

He’s not thrilled with the choices at QB either... (although it’s a good year to draft a defensive player, so it’s a good thing we went for that offensive player in the first round this year..)

“The 2019 NFL draft class has not been billed as a great one. The lack of elite quarterback prospects hurts the overall perception of the group, as does the lack of top-end skill position players at running back, wide receiver and tight end.

There is good news, though—the 2019 class is very deep on defense. Ridiculously so.

Of the 32 picks in this Round 1 mock draft, 22 are on defense. For comparison, only 15 of the 32 in the 2018 draft were on defense. One year before that, the 2017 class had 19 of the 32 picks on defense. To say that this year is an above-average group defensively would be accurate.

To be more specific, this is a great year to need a defensive lineman or edge-rusher. It's an unprecedented group, with 13 of the predicted picks going to the defensive tackle or defensive end group. And there were a handful of other players with a Round 1 grade that simply didn't make the mock draft. If your favorite NFL team needs a pass-rusher, this is the year to get one.

The downside to that is those teams in need of a franchise savior at quarterback or great left tackle could be on the outside looking in come draft night. Only three quarterbacks make the Round 1 cut, and two of those would be considered reaches if the draft were today. Of the teams needing a quarterback, the New York Giants have the biggest need and come up first on the clock.”

(11-06-2018, 10:58 AM)Andy G Wrote: For what they’re worth, the thoughts of Matt Miller from Bleacher Report .  

He’s not thrilled with the choices at QB either...  (although it’s a good year to draft a defensive player, so it’s a good thing we went for that offensive player in the first round this year..)

“The 2019 NFL draft class has not been billed as a great one. The lack of elite quarterback prospects hurts the overall perception of the group, as does the lack of top-end skill position players at running back, wide receiver and tight end.

There is good news, though—the 2019 class is very deep on defense. Ridiculously so.

Of the 32 picks in this Round 1 mock draft, 22 are on defense. For comparison, only 15 of the 32 in the 2018 draft were on defense. One year before that, the 2017 class had 19 of the 32 picks on defense. To say that this year is an above-average group defensively would be accurate.

To be more specific, this is a great year to need a defensive lineman or edge-rusher. It's an unprecedented group, with 13 of the predicted picks going to the defensive tackle or defensive end group. And there were a handful of other players with a Round 1 grade that simply didn't make the mock draft. If your favorite NFL team needs a pass-rusher, this is the year to get one.

The downside to that is those teams in need of a franchise savior at quarterback or great left tackle could be on the outside looking in come draft night. Only three quarterbacks make the Round 1 cut, and two of those would be considered reaches if the draft were today. Of the teams needing a quarterback, the New York Giants have the biggest need and come up first on the clock.”

Miller is probably the worst I have seen at his QB predictions and rankings

(11-06-2018, 11:11 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-06-2018, 10:58 AM)Andy G Wrote: For what they’re worth, the thoughts of Matt Miller from Bleacher Report .  

He’s not thrilled with the choices at QB either...  (although it’s a good year to draft a defensive player, so it’s a good thing we went for that offensive player in the first round this year..)

Miller is probably the worst I have seen at his QB predictions and rankings

Is that right?

I’ve looked at his pre draft QB rankings for the last four drafts and none of them seem wildly wrong.

2015 his top five were:
Winston, Mariota, Petty, Hundley, Grayson

Goff, Wentz, Lynch, Hackenberg, Prescott

Trubisky, Watson, Mahomes, Kizer, Webb

Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Mayfield, Jackson

The order isn’t always right, but those were pretty much the top five in each of those years. And he had them in roughly the right places in his big boards.

Is there one particular prediction he got wrong? (And was it one that everyone got wrong that year?)

I can realise there’s a fair amount of scepticism about anything from Bleacher Report, but let’s not dismiss Miller’s thoughts entirely.

I’m a big Tyree Jackson fan. He is my technically my #4, but It’s more like:

1a. Herbert
1b. Haskins 
1c. Grier
2. Jackson

(11-06-2018, 01:43 PM)Andy G Wrote:
(11-06-2018, 11:11 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Miller is probably the worst I have seen at his QB predictions and rankings

Is that right?

I’ve looked at his pre draft QB rankings for the last four drafts and none of them seem wildly wrong.

2015 his top five were:

The order isn’t always right, but those were pretty much the top five in each of those years.  And he had them in roughly the right places in his big boards.

Is there one particular prediction he got wrong?  (And was it one that everyone got wrong that year?)

I can realise there’s a fair amount of scepticism about anything from Bleacher Report, but let’s not dismiss Miller’s thoughts entirely.

He was calling Josh Allen a top 5 pick in January 2017 after he signed with the same agency as him. Continued to die on that hill for most of the cycle and kept making excuses for Allen. Even said he was a better prospect than Mahomes.   

Just not a very good draft analyst imo.

Jags won't draft a real QB until its been annoucned they are moveing to london.     Wink Wink

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

I finally got a chance to see Tyree Jackson tonight. I wasn't impressed. Buffalo won big tonight against a bad Kent State team, thanks to rushing the ball over 50 times. Jackson completed less than 50% of his passes for the game though and looks very raw. He also appears to have a huge windup. He kinda reminds me of Byron Leftwich only Jackson's arm isn't as strong. I'd probably rate him behind Finley and ahead of Thorsen in my #8 spot.

(11-06-2018, 02:55 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(11-06-2018, 01:43 PM)Andy G Wrote: Is that right?

2015 his top five were:

The order isn’t always right, but those were pretty much the top five in each of those years.  And he had them in roughly the right places in his big boards.

Is there one particular prediction he got wrong?  (And was it one that everyone got wrong that year?)

He was calling Josh Allen a top 5 pick in January 2017 after he signed with the same agency as him. Continued to die on that hill for most of the cycle and kept making excuses for Allen. Even said he was a better prospect than Mahomes.   

That’s not much of a criticism.

A lot of pundits thought Allen was a top pick and some were even saying he could go number one.

And in the end he was picked seventh, so he wasn’t far wrong.

But you disagree with him, that’s fine.

(11-07-2018, 05:05 AM)Andy G Wrote:
(11-06-2018, 02:55 PM)JackCity Wrote: He was calling Josh Allen a top 5 pick in January 2017 after he signed with the same agency as him. Continued to die on that hill for most of the cycle and kept making excuses for Allen. Even said he was a better prospect than Mahomes.   

That’s not much of a criticism.

A lot of pundits thought Allen was a top pick and some were even saying he could go number one.

And in the end he was picked seventh, so he wasn’t far wrong.

But you disagree with him, that’s fine.

You are missing the point. 

There isn't any wrong with predicting Josh Allen would be a high pick. There is something wrong when you show faulty process and make excuses for them all year just because you have a personal connection with them. 

A lot of the draft community makes fun of Miller for how bad his takes are.