Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Herbert. Lock. Finley. The Jags must choose one next year.

(11-04-2018, 09:55 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-04-2018, 09:30 PM)ColoJag Wrote: Yall are going to tear this to shreds but for comparisons
Herbert= a slower Mariota
Grier=Mayfield
Jones=Tannehill
Rypien=Keenum
Finley=younger Big Ben
Not saying that these guys are going to become like the others just to me they play like them and have similar skill sets.

Just wondering how you came up with the Finley, Roethlisberger comparison? Ben has a much stronger arm and is much more accurate. I would compare Finley more to Mitchell Trubisky.

Herbert= DeShaun Watson
Finley= Trubisky
Lock= Flacco
Jones= Tannenhill
Rypien= Keenum
Grier= Mariota

Grier=Mariota? Have you ever seen Grier play?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-04-2018, 09:55 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-04-2018, 09:30 PM)ColoJag Wrote: Yall are going to tear this to shreds but for comparisons
Herbert= a slower Mariota
Grier=Mayfield
Jones=Tannehill
Rypien=Keenum
Finley=younger Big Ben
Not saying that these guys are going to become like the others just to me they play like them and have similar skill sets.

Just wondering how you came up with the Finley, Roethlisberger comparison? Ben has a much stronger arm and is much more accurate. I would compare Finley more to Mitchell Trubisky.

Herbert= DeShaun Watson
Finley= Trubisky
Lock= Flacco
Jones= Tannenhill
Rypien= Keenum
Grier= Mariota

I like the Jones+ Rypien comps. Herbert =Watson and Grier =Mariota are wildly off

Collinsworth was just talking about how quick Bradys release is. Said if he were to ever draft a QB the most important thing to him would be how quick the QB can get rid of the ball. It's safe to say he would never of drafted Bortles

(11-04-2018, 11:08 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Collinsworth was just talking about how quick Bradys release is. Said if he were to ever draft a QB the most important thing to him would be how quick the QB can get rid of the ball.  It's safe to say he would never of drafted Bortles

I mean I can spike the ball extremely quick

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2018, 01:29 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(11-04-2018, 10:17 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-04-2018, 09:55 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Just wondering how you came up with the Finley, Roethlisberger comparison? Ben has a much stronger arm and is much more accurate. I would compare Finley more to Mitchell Trubisky.

Herbert= DeShaun Watson
Finley= Trubisky
Lock= Flacco
Jones= Tannenhill
Rypien= Keenum
Grier= Mariota

Grier=Mariota? Have you ever seen Grier play?

It's definitely not the best comparison, but I was trying to compare him to another athletic QB who had inflated college numbers and a so-so arm, whose college success probably wouldn't translate to NFL success. Maybe Tannenhill is a better choice and Jones would compare more to Bortles. In any case, other than Herbert, I'm not sold on anyone in this class.

(11-04-2018, 10:44 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(11-04-2018, 09:55 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Just wondering how you came up with the Finley, Roethlisberger comparison? Ben has a much stronger arm and is much more accurate. I would compare Finley more to Mitchell Trubisky.

Herbert= DeShaun Watson
Finley= Trubisky
Lock= Flacco
Jones= Tannenhill
Rypien= Keenum
Grier= Mariota

I like the Jones+ Rypien comps. Herbert =Watson and Grier =Mariota are wildly off

Admittedly, the Grier=Mariota one is off, but I still believe Herbert compares favorably to Watson. Both are athletic QB's with good arms who possess the ability to make accurate passes on the run.

(11-04-2018, 08:33 PM)JackCity Wrote: Finley is very underwhelming once you dig into his game. Lock is a big project QB and Herbert is gonna be gone when we pick.  

Taking the wrong QB in the first can be worse than not taking one at all.

This^

If he isn't fairly certain to be a quality 10 year starter, don't take him in the first round.  Better to see what you can get in round 2 or 3 if you need to develop a qb.

And I think the most important quality to look for is accuracy.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2018, 02:07 AM by I am Yoda.)

(11-04-2018, 09:22 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'd wait until round 3 and take Rypien, while signing Fitzpatrick in the offseason. He'll be an UFA. We could see if we could develop Rypien while having at least an upgrade to Bortles in Fitzpatrick, for the short term.

I don't think Fitz will make it to FA.  Tampa almost has to re-sign him.  Winston is a bust.

Who knows?  Maybe the Mullen kid will be available in a trade. RG3 looked decent in preseason.  Maybe he's cleaned up his accuracy enough to be serviceable.  Just grasping at straws here.

(11-04-2018, 11:08 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Collinsworth was just talking about how quick Bradys release is. Said if he were to ever draft a QB the most important thing to him would be how quick the QB can get rid of the ball.  It's safe to say he would never of drafted Bortles

That quick release is a combination of throwing motion and speed of decision-making.
[Image: giphy.gif]

As it stands right now, My rankings are
1. Drew Lock
2. Will Grier
3. Justin Herbert
4. Dwayne Haskins
5. Ryan Finley

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2018, 04:42 AM by Jords808.)

Lol ur analysis is terrible!
First off the only thing similar between Lock and Gabbert is the University. Second Herbert isnt overrated he has lots of upside, just maybe not a top 5 pick. But the funniest thing on here is saying will Grier having a weak arm..lol really??? He never had a "weak arm" he can get the ball down the field, coming into this year people jus questioned his deep accuracy, whcih he fixed... he's been throwing deep dimes all year, i know u saw the one against Texas....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

(11-04-2018, 09:22 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-04-2018, 07:36 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I think you're going to be sorely disappointed.

I agree. I'm not a fan of Grier and Finley lacks the velocity and accuracy to be a good starting NFL QB IMO. Lock, I am on the fence about right now and Herbert will be gone by the time we pick. I can't see the Giants letting Herbert get passed them. I'd rather wait until 2020 to draft a QB and find a short term solution for 2019, if we can't get a QB we're 100% confident in. Taking the wrong QB in the first round is way more detrimental than not taking one and waiting until the middle rounds. Right now, I'd say if Herbert is not a possibility for us and Haskins stays in school, I'd wait until round 3 and take Rypien, while signing Fitzpatrick in the offseason. He'll be an UFA. We could see if we could develop Rypien while having at least an upgrade to Bortles in Fitzpatrick, for the short term.
Grier has a 70% completion percentage... id say that's pretty damn accurate

(11-05-2018, 01:56 AM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(11-04-2018, 08:33 PM)JackCity Wrote: Finley is very underwhelming once you dig into his game. Lock is a big project QB and Herbert is gonna be gone when we pick.  

Taking the wrong QB in the first can be worse than not taking one at all.

This^

If he isn't fairly certain to be a quality 10 year starter, don't take him in the first round.  Better to see what you can get in round 2 or 3 if you need to develop a qb.

Yep , can't afford to waste 3-4 years finding out if they are the guy or not.   

I would say poise personally but accuracy is right up there (and college QBs rarely have very good poise anyway). It's pretty funny/sad but every time I look at a QB prospect now I'm kinda amazed by how easily they throw ball compared to our beloved Blake. 

Herbert for instance throws an absolutely beautiful ball with good mechanics.

I haven't looked closely enough at the crop of quarterbacks to even attempt to rank them at this point. However, there are certain traits which are required if considering them in the first round, especially as a top 10 pick. In order of importance:

1) They have a strong enough arm to make all the throws. It all starts with that. That's why Kessler will never be more than a good backup.

2) Plain and simple, a "winner." Mayfield and Watson have flaws, no doubt, but have always won and make the others around them better. It's very hard to find guys like this who also have the physical tools,
which is why there are so many busts who were 1st round picks. Drew Brees and Favre are 2 other guys that come to mind who just have (had) that "it"factor. Neither guy was taken that high in the draft and
the same can be said about the 2 GOATS- Montana and Brady.

3) Good mechanics, quick release, ability to see the entire field and toughness to withstand the abuse their bodies will ultimately take. I lumped these 4 things together since all are very important and the
failure to possess even one of these traits could result in a very short/unsuccessful career. Blake has the 4th quality in spades; unfortunately he is lacking in the others. Leftwich had a lot of good qualities,
but could not overcome his slow release. Gabbert had a lot of physical tools, but his lack of toughness and leadership were too much to overcome.

Is there a guy currently playing on Saturday's who checks all these boxes? One for sure, but he'll be back at Alabama next season. The ultimate success of the Jaguars' new general manager (Caldwell is
likely gone unless there is a miraculous turnaround) will be determined by his ability to find that guy. There is enough talent on this team, when healthy, to rebound next season. Finding that quarterback,
however, is a necessity.

(11-05-2018, 05:53 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(11-05-2018, 01:56 AM)I am Yoda Wrote: This^

Yep , can't afford to waste 3-4 years finding out if they are the guy or not.   

I would say poise personally but accuracy is right up there (and college QBs rarely have very good poise anyway). It's pretty funny/sad but every time I look at a QB prospect now I'm kinda amazed by how easily they throw ball compared to our beloved Blake. 

Herbert for instance throws an absolutely beautiful ball with good mechanics.

I agree. And this is one of the things making me leary of Lock in the little I've seen of him. His mechanics are somewhere between Blake's and Herbert's.

With all the discussion about Lock, Jones, Herbert, Finley, and so on, has anyone looked at Easton Stick out of NDSU? He seems to be worth a serious look in the mid to late 1st round, which is where we hopefully are picking.

(11-05-2018, 09:56 AM)bondsgame101 Wrote: With all the discussion about Lock, Jones, Herbert, Finley, and so on, has anyone looked at Easton Stick out of NDSU? He seems to be worth a serious look in the mid to late 1st round, which is where we hopefully are picking.

I've seen him on lists that would project him around the 4th round (as of now.)  Haven't watched him play other than a few clips. 
He's an intriguing prospect.

(11-05-2018, 04:39 AM)Jords808 Wrote: Lol ur analysis is terrible!
First off the only thing similar between Lock and Gabbert is the University. Second Herbert isnt overrated he has lots of upside, just maybe not a top 5 pick. But the funniest thing on here is saying will Grier having a weak arm..lol really??? He never had a "weak arm" he can get the ball down the field, coming into this year people jus questioned his deep accuracy, whcih he fixed... he's been throwing deep dimes all year, i know u saw the one against Texas....

(11-04-2018, 09:22 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I agree. I'm not a fan of Grier and Finley lacks the velocity and accuracy to be a good starting NFL QB IMO. Lock, I am on the fence about right now and Herbert will be gone by the time we pick. I can't see the Giants letting Herbert get passed them. I'd rather wait until 2020 to draft a QB and find a short term solution for 2019, if we can't get a QB we're 100% confident in. Taking the wrong QB in the first round is way more detrimental than not taking one and waiting until the middle rounds. Right now, I'd say if Herbert is not a possibility for us and Haskins stays in school, I'd wait until round 3 and take Rypien, while signing Fitzpatrick in the offseason. He'll be an UFA. We could see if we could develop Rypien while having at least an upgrade to Bortles in Fitzpatrick, for the short term.

Accuracy isn't just statistics. He comes from a dink and dunk system, where defenses play off coverage and he is able to complete I high number of minimum risk passes.

(11-05-2018, 10:08 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-05-2018, 09:56 AM)bondsgame101 Wrote: With all the discussion about Lock, Jones, Herbert, Finley, and so on, has anyone looked at Easton Stick out of NDSU? He seems to be worth a serious look in the mid to late 1st round, which is where we hopefully are picking.

I've seen him on lists that would project him around the 4th round (as of now.)  Haven't watched him play other than a few clips. 
He's an intriguing prospect.
Interesting, I would never have put him that low. But, his completion percentage is not what it feels like while watching him. He is averaging about 60% for his career. Now, he does stand a good chance of setting the FCS win records by the end of the year, but that does not mean much. We have all seen that winning in college does not equal success in the NFL.

Maybe I started this post out of desperation. I watched a lot of games yesterday, and what I saw was great QB play by many young QBs.

(11-05-2018, 10:29 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-05-2018, 04:39 AM)Jords808 Wrote: Lol ur analysis is terrible!

Accuracy isn't just statistics. He comes from a dink and dunk system, where defenses play off coverage and he is able to complete I high number of minimum risk passes.
You said he was not accurate, when he completes 70%... Not all of his passes are dink and dunk... he makes a lot of medium to deep passes... Haskins plays a lot of the same style offense, shotgun, 5 wr sets... plus most high notes on Grier by scouts is his progression through his wr routes... i feel like you dont watch him

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2018, 02:48 PM by Kane.)

Grier balled out yesterday.
Dink and dunk? HAHAHAHAHA

Dude be tossing dimes.
Grier is Mariota?
What crack is being tossed around on this board these days?

(11-05-2018, 01:28 PM)Jords808 Wrote:
(11-05-2018, 10:29 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Accuracy isn't just statistics. He comes from a dink and dunk system, where defenses play off coverage and he is able to complete I high number of minimum risk passes.
i feel like you dont watch him

I get this same feeling lol

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2018, 03:05 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(11-05-2018, 01:28 PM)Jords808 Wrote:
(11-05-2018, 10:29 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Accuracy isn't just statistics. He comes from a dink and dunk system, where defenses play off coverage and he is able to complete I high number of minimum risk passes.
You said he was not accurate, when he completes 70%... Not all of  his passes are dink and dunk... he makes a lot of medium to deep passes... Haskins plays a lot of the same style offense, shotgun, 5 wr sets... plus most high notes on Grier by scouts is his progression through his wr routes... i feel like you dont watch him

I haven't seen all his games, but I watched him play Kansas and Iowa State. Sorry, I'm not impressed. A lot of his passes, are not on target. I see his receivers having to make adjustments to catch the ball or having to stop to make the receptions, rather than him hitting them in stride. It's little things like this that can determine success at the next level and I didn't see him going through his progressions. What I saw, was him consistently keying in on his first read even when he wasn't being pressured. I feel like a lot of you guys over inflate his value, simply because he went to Florida.