Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Dwayne Haskins (MERGED)

(This post was last modified: 11-26-2018, 07:23 PM by irontrooper83.)

Is there still room for me on the Haskins train?
I admit I haven't watched much yet of other QB's but everything I saw from Haskins so far...really liked it.

Too soon too tell if we'll be in position to draft him without having to trade up? I'm not opposed to trading up for the right guy of course, i'd just like to keep the picks for additional help on Oline/TE. We need big help there too.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-26-2018, 07:19 PM)irontrooper83 Wrote: Is there still room for me on the Haskins train?
I admit I haven't watched much yet of other QB's but everything I saw from Haskins so far...really liked it.

Too soon too tell if we'll be in position to draft him without having to trade up? I'm not opposed to trading up for the right guy of course, i'd just like to keep the picks for additional help on Oline/TE. We need big help there too.

Welcome aboard!

And I think it's too early to tell. I think he'll either be a guy who shows out during combine, kills it in the interviews and goes top 10. Or he'll be a guy who experiences the dreaded Draft Night Slide, a la Aaron Rodgers. I think with how well recent young QBs have performed (Watkins, Mahomes, Mayfield), a team will take him in the top 10. Might be the Jags.

Haskins has become my #1 QB in this draft regardless of whether or not Herbert declares. He is a better prospect, in my opinion, than any QB in the 2018 draft as well.

(11-27-2018, 11:36 AM)MoJo44 Wrote:
(11-26-2018, 07:19 PM)irontrooper83 Wrote: Is there still room for me on the Haskins train?

Welcome aboard!

And I think it's too early to tell. I think he'll either be a guy who shows out during combine, kills it in the interviews and goes top 10. Or he'll be a guy who experiences the dreaded Draft Night Slide, a la Aaron Rodgers. I think with how well recent young QBs have performed (Watkins, Mahomes, Mayfield), a team will take him in the top 10. Might be the Jags.

Thanks Big Grin

I would be perfectly fine taking a QB in the 1st round be it with the sixth pick or later depending on where we are. I just hope we can avoid having to trade additional picks to move up. Of course if we get the right guy then it's worth it, it's just me hoping we can both have the QB and keep the pick.
We'll see closer to draft time where they start projecting all these QBs but so far count me on board on this Haskisn train Big Grin

#NoWins4Haskins

QB1 and it's not close. We need to get ahead of the giants

#NoWins4Haskins

I'll gladly admit that I was just an uninformed idiot making assumptions here. Only seen a little bit of Haskins before today, but have watched all of tonight's game. He good.

I'll take that crow served warm please.

If Arizona ends up with the first pick, trade whatever it takes!

(This post was last modified: 12-02-2018, 12:54 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

Every time I watch this kid, he impresses me more and more. His accuracy, his arm strength, his ability to read defenses and make the correct throws make him so good. After saying last season, how bad the 2019 QB class was gonna be, I'm so happy a guy like Haskins caught my eye at the beginning of the season. Something tells me he will declare, especially if Urban Meyer retires which is rumored. I normally don't like to draft underclassmen, especially red shirt Sophomores with just one season of starting experience, but this kid is ready. I don't think he should start right away in the NFL, but he has the highest ceiling of any QB in this potential QB class. If he's there, we have to take him.

(12-02-2018, 12:47 AM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote: If Arizona ends up with the first pick, trade whatever it takes!

Agreed. The best scenario for us is if Arizona or San Francisco ends up with the #1 pick. I believe both would trade down.

(This post was last modified: 12-02-2018, 01:48 AM by VondyP.)

(12-02-2018, 12:32 AM)Eric1 Wrote: I'll gladly admit that I was just an uninformed idiot making assumptions here. Only seen a little bit of Haskins before today, but have watched all of tonight's game. He good.

that was pretty obvious to us when you made the original posts

as a tacks fan i hope he goes to the giants :-) i dont want to have to hate him

This kid is legit...

Like I said before...

#HASKINSorBUST

(12-02-2018, 12:32 AM)Eric1 Wrote: I'll gladly admit that I was just an uninformed idiot making assumptions here. Only seen a little bit of Haskins before today, but have watched all of tonight's game. He good.

Kudos for the own up

(This post was last modified: 12-02-2018, 08:53 AM by irontrooper83.)

Like posted above I'm all on the Haskins train.

But I don't want to get too hopeful about us taking him. It will require a big trade probably to move up for him at this point and I don't believe this front office will do it. I'll be super happy to be proven wrong of course it's just that after the season we had I don't want to end up disappointed even with our QB choice in the draft lol. 

But yeah, i'd gladly do what it takes to get us in the position to take him.

(This post was last modified: 12-02-2018, 12:51 PM by rfc17.)

Haskins seems to have a lot of the attributes you want. The concern with him is probably the fear of the unknowns. A guy with a lot of starts is usually preferred because if nothing else, it gives you more opportunities to study their game and it gives defenses more time to figure out how to play him. I think of poor Matt Barkley who was going to be a top 10 pick if not #1 overall, went back to college, his flaws got exposed and he plummeted on draft boards a year later. Haskins only has one year of experience. Defenses have only had a few months to try to figure him out. If he enters the draft, that is something that would be a concern but it's impossible to really quantify.

Another concern, which we probably need to see a lot more data, is how he does under pressure. Someone posted this mock draft a month ago and it had an alarming blurb about Haskins. https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/dr...ck-draft-2 "Haskins has graded at 91.2 from a clean pocket, but only 38.3 on his 67 pressured dropbacks". Now that was a month ago. Those numbers could be better by now. Plus, how does that compare to other players? Is that a normal discrepancy of passer rating from a clean pocket versus when pressured? Is that pressured rating in line with other top QBs? Better, worse? Without context it's hard to know exactly what it means. But it was specifically called out which makes you think it's not on par with others. What I am surprised at is how few pressured dropbacks he had. if that was done on 10/29, he would have played 8 games by then. So only pressured an average of 8 times a game? That seems pretty infrequent.

(12-02-2018, 12:50 PM)rfc17 Wrote: Haskins seems to have a lot of the attributes you want.  The concern with him is probably the fear of the unknowns.  A guy with a lot of starts is usually preferred because if nothing else, it gives you more opportunities to study their game and it gives defenses more time to figure out how to play him.  I think of poor Matt Barkley who was going to be a top 10 pick if not #1 overall, went back to college, his flaws got exposed and he plummeted on draft boards a year later.  Haskins only has one year of experience.  Defenses have only had a few months to try to figure him out.  If he enters the draft, that is something that would be a concern but it's impossible to really quantify.

Another concern, which we probably need to see a lot more data, is how he does under pressure.  Someone posted this mock draft a month ago and it had an alarming blurb about Haskins.  https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/dr...ck-draft-2   "Haskins has graded at 91.2 from a clean pocket, but only 38.3 on his 67 pressured dropbacks".  Now that was a month ago.  Those numbers could be better by now.  Plus, how does that compare to other players?  Is that a normal discrepancy of passer rating from a clean pocket versus when pressured?  Is that pressured rating in line with other top QBs?  Better, worse?  Without context it's hard to know exactly what it means. But it was specifically called out which makes you think it's not on par with others.  What I am surprised at is how few pressured dropbacks he had.  if that was done on 10/29, he would have played 8 games by then.  So only pressured an average of 8 times a game?  That seems pretty infrequent.

Fear of the unknowns can be used for any QB ever to enter the draft. No QB is a sure thing whether they are a 4 year starter or a 1 year wonder. Would I like for Haskins to have more starting experience? Of course, but this is the hand we are dealt. We need a QB now and he appears to be the most talented QB available. As I said before, even if we are lucky enough to draft him, I would not start him in 2019. With his limited experience, he needs to sit and learn the pro game. I like what the Chiefs did with Pat Mahomes. They sat him a year and it paid off. That is why it is imperative that we fix the O-line, so when we do start a rookie QB, they are in the best position to succeed. I will say this, living in Ohio and watching almost every OSU game this year, I can honestly say this is one of the poorest pass blocking O-Lines the Buckeyes have produced in several years. Haskins seems to sense the pass rush pretty well IMO.

I like Haskins..but I think his stats are inflated. He has an explosive offense but the Big is down this year. Don’t care what anyone says, Michigan was not a top 5 or top 10 team. Haskins isn’t ready yet but I think he’s got a little to learn. I think the Giants nab him and he sits a year behind Manning and then he really starts to shine. I’m thinking Lock turns out to be our guy and I wouldn’t be upset. Complete 180° from Bortles and Keesler
"Expect for the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes."

(12-02-2018, 08:34 PM)Fred Jones-Brunell Wrote: I like Haskins..but I think his stats are inflated. He has an explosive offense but the Big is down this year. Don’t care what anyone says, Michigan was not a top 5 or top 10 team. Haskins isn’t ready yet but I think he’s got a little to learn. I think the Giants nab him and he sits a year behind Manning and then he really starts to shine. I’m thinking Lock turns out to be our guy and I wouldn’t be upset. Complete 180° from Bortles and Keesler

I have to agree with this post

(12-02-2018, 01:37 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Fear of the unknowns can be used for any QB ever to enter the draft. No QB is a sure thing whether they are a 4 year starter or a 1 year wonder. Would I like for Haskins to have more starting experience? Of course, but this is the hand we are dealt. We need a QB now and he appears to be the most talented QB available. As I said before, even if we are lucky enough to draft him, I would not start him in 2019. With his limited experience, he needs to sit and learn the pro game. I like what the Chiefs did with Pat Mahomes. They sat him a year and it paid off. That is why it is imperative that we fix the O-line, so when we do start a rookie QB, they are in the best position to succeed. I will say this, living in Ohio and watching almost every OSU game this year, I can honestly say this is one of the poorest pass blocking O-Lines the Buckeyes have produced in several years. Haskins seems to sense the pass rush pretty well IMO.

Well I think the rationale is that there are far fewer unknowns with a guy who has 40 starts vs a guy who has 12.  I remember hearing a long time ago, there were 3 criteria you wanted a QB to have before drafting them in the first round.  First was more than 30 starts.  Second was a career comp% over 60%.  And I'm drawing a blank on the third one.  May have been TD/INT.  Or maybe the 3rd criteria was that they went in the 1st round because the assumption is if scouts have you rated that high then by definition you should be physically capable of being an NFL QB.  Regardless, I remember going through the list of QBs that had been drafted in the 1st round and how many of the criterias they met.  And it was pretty telling the difference between the groups; who met all 3, all but 1, only 1, zero, etc... 

Long story short, the point is the number of starts is a fairly important statistic to not be overlooked quickly.  If a guy has all the other numbers, skills, etc.. you want and the only thing they dont have is starts, well then your odds he'll be a bust go down.  But it's still a red flag.

But ultimately to your point, if this is the best there is in this year's draft, then you just gotta take him and hope for the best.  There is a reason why everyone keeps saying this is a bad draft for QBs.

(12-02-2018, 01:37 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-02-2018, 12:50 PM)rfc17 Wrote: Haskins seems to have a lot of the attributes you want.  The concern with him is probably the fear of the unknowns.  A guy with a lot of starts is usually preferred because if nothing else, it gives you more opportunities to study their game and it gives defenses more time to figure out how to play him.  I think of poor Matt Barkley who was going to be a top 10 pick if not #1 overall, went back to college, his flaws got exposed and he plummeted on draft boards a year later.  Haskins only has one year of experience.  Defenses have only had a few months to try to figure him out.  If he enters the draft, that is something that would be a concern but it's impossible to really quantify.

Another concern, which we probably need to see a lot more data, is how he does under pressure.  Someone posted this mock draft a month ago and it had an alarming blurb about Haskins.  https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/dr...ck-draft-2   "Haskins has graded at 91.2 from a clean pocket, but only 38.3 on his 67 pressured dropbacks".  Now that was a month ago.  Those numbers could be better by now.  Plus, how does that compare to other players?  Is that a normal discrepancy of passer rating from a clean pocket versus when pressured?  Is that pressured rating in line with other top QBs?  Better, worse?  Without context it's hard to know exactly what it means. But it was specifically called out which makes you think it's not on par with others.  What I am surprised at is how few pressured dropbacks he had.  if that was done on 10/29, he would have played 8 games by then.  So only pressured an average of 8 times a game?  That seems pretty infrequent.

Fear of the unknowns can be used for any QB ever to enter the draft. No QB is a sure thing whether they are a 4 year starter or a 1 year wonder. Would I like for Haskins to have more starting experience? Of course, but this is the hand we are dealt. We need a QB now and he appears to be the most talented QB available. As I said before, even if we are lucky enough to draft him, I would not start him in 2019. With his limited experience, he needs to sit and learn the pro game. I like what the Chiefs did with Pat Mahomes. They sat him a year and it paid off. That is why it is imperative that we fix the O-line, so when we do start a rookie QB, they are in the best position to succeed. I will say this, living in Ohio and watching almost every OSU game this year, I can honestly say this is one of the poorest pass blocking O-Lines the Buckeyes have produced in several years. Haskins seems to sense the pass rush pretty well IMO.
Agree on all accounts. Cut Blake. See what vets are out there (McCown?)

Round 1- Haskins
Round 2-4- Oline and TE
5-7 BA

Round 1/2- WR and Oline
Round 3-7- BA