Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
College QBs 2018 Season/2019 Draft

(11-29-2018, 12:42 PM)Kane Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 08:02 AM)irontrooper83 Wrote: I've only just started looking at some QB's for the draft...is it me or there's more talent than suggested by media/hype? I kept reading how 2019 would be a bad draft for QB but doesn't seem worse than other years to me. Maybe not a clear superstar out there but a few guys with good traits and qualities that can be developed.

When it comes to fans... if a guy they like (probably from the school they root for) isn't in the draft = "next years crop is better"

But as I've said before... I hear this every year it seems "next years QB crop is better" or "gotta get one now, next years crop is slim"
Truth is, they don't know. They are guessing.

I'd say I've heard resounding choruses of that in all but three of the last 9 drafts. 

Almost every year - "there are no good QBs" and most of those drafts still tend to produce one or two quality starters.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-29-2018, 12:59 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 12:42 PM)Kane Wrote: When it comes to fans... if a guy they like (probably from the school they root for) isn't in the draft = "next years crop is better"

But as I've said before... I hear this every year it seems "next years QB crop is better" or "gotta get one now, next years crop is slim"
Truth is, they don't know. They are guessing.

I'd say I've heard resounding choruses of that in all but three of the last 9 drafts. 

Almost every year - "there are no good QBs" and most of those drafts still tend to produce one or two quality starters.
Watson and Mahomes were from a "weak" QB class.

(11-28-2018, 07:09 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Grier and Minshew

I’d be ok with this. Minshew may be available in the later rounds. Why not double up?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(This post was last modified: 11-29-2018, 04:53 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(11-29-2018, 01:01 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 12:59 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I'd say I've heard resounding choruses of that in all but three of the last 9 drafts. 

Watson and Mahomes were from a "weak" QB class.

True. Appearances can be deceiving. You never know how good/bad a class of QB's are until at least, after their 2nd year as a pro. As much as people on ESPN, NFL Network and CBS Sports like to call themselves "experts", nobody really knows how good a player will be on the next level, including me, you and everyone on the board. It's all just an educated guessing game. Who knows? There could be 2-3 future all pro QB's in this draft or maybe they'll all be busts. That risk should not prevent us from doing everything we can to upgrade the QB position via the draft. No player is a "sure thing" even Tua.

(11-29-2018, 04:23 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(11-28-2018, 07:09 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Grier and Minshew

I’d be ok with this. Minshew may be available in the later rounds. Why not double up?

Given how weak we are at QB, I'm all for doubling up. In fact, if I had my way, we'd draft nothing but QB's and O-Linemen in 2019.

(11-29-2018, 04:51 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 01:01 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Watson and Mahomes were from a "weak" QB class.

True. Appearances can be deceiving. You never know how good/bad a class of QB's are until at least, after their 2nd year as a pro. As much as people on ESPN, NFL Network and CBS Sports like to call themselves "experts", nobody really knows how good a player will be on the next level, including me, you and everyone on the board. It's all just an educated guessing game. Who knows? There could be 2-3 future all pro QB's in this draft or maybe they'll all be busts. That risk should not prevent us from doing everything we can to upgrade the QB position via the draft. No player is a "sure thing" even Tua.

(11-29-2018, 04:23 PM)knarnn Wrote: I’d be ok with this. Minshew may be available in the later rounds. Why not double up?

Given how weak we are at QB, I'm all for doubling up. In fact, if I had my way, we'd draft nothing but QB's and O-Linemen in 2019.
Can we throw a TE or WR up on there?

(11-29-2018, 06:11 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 04:51 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: True. Appearances can be deceiving. You never know how good/bad a class of QB's are until at least, after their 2nd year as a pro. As much as people on ESPN, NFL Network and CBS Sports like to call themselves "experts", nobody really knows how good a player will be on the next level, including me, you and everyone on the board. It's all just an educated guessing game. Who knows? There could be 2-3 future all pro QB's in this draft or maybe they'll all be busts. That risk should not prevent us from doing everything we can to upgrade the QB position via the draft. No player is a "sure thing" even Tua.

Can we throw a TE or WR up on there?

If we have a better QB and a better O-Line, I believe the passing game as a whole, would improve 3 fold. With that said, I fully expect us to draft a TE, but I expected us to draft a TE last year as well.

Haskins will rise to the top of this class.
Herbert will go top 10 based on potential alone.
Grier will climb in predraft. But has some doubts to squash.
Daniel Jones is solid, prostyle, seasoned but lacks arm stremgth.
Tyree Jackson is raw but could thrive with the right OC.
Lindley is a game manager type.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(11-29-2018, 08:25 PM)Firesky Wrote: Haskins will rise to the top of this class.
Herbert will go top 10 based on potential alone.
Grier will climb in predraft. But has some doubts to squash.
Daniel Jones is solid, prostyle, seasoned but lacks arm stremgth.
Tyree Jackson is raw but could thrive with the right OC.
Lindley is a game manager type.

You may be right. The way he dismantled the top secondary in the country (Michigan), really propelled him. That, combined with Herbert being banged up and having some so-so games have really started to turn the tides in Haskins favor.

Not sure how high Daniel Jones will go but Haskins round 1 and Jones round 3? Ala RG3 and Cousins.

I'm all in on the Haskins or bust train right now. I don't like Herbert or Grier much at all. If the Jags have to move up to get Haskins, I hope they do it. He looks like the real deal.

(11-30-2018, 05:43 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: I'm all in on the Haskins or bust train right now. I don't like Herbert or Grier much at all. If the Jags have to move up to get Haskins, I hope they do it. He looks like the real deal.

Haskins or bust?  Damn, I hope the draft isn't that bad

(11-30-2018, 08:55 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-30-2018, 05:43 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: I'm all in on the Haskins or bust train right now. I don't like Herbert or Grier much at all. If the Jags have to move up to get Haskins, I hope they do it. He looks like the real deal.

Haskins or bust?  Damn, I hope the draft isn't that bad

I know. I'm as big a Haskins fan as anyone, but I certainly hope we have several real options. Haskins or bust, really handcuffs us. I'm depressed enough as it is, gimme a little hope for 2019.

Have a bad feeling we end up with someone like Ryan Finley unless we are in position to take Haskins/Herbert (and they probably like Lock too)

(11-30-2018, 01:10 PM)JackCity Wrote: Have a bad feeling we end up with someone like Ryan Finley unless we are in position to take Haskins/Herbert (and they probably like Lock too)

I’d not put it past Cough/Well to move up aggressively for their guy. 
Or at least attempt to do so.

(11-30-2018, 01:23 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-30-2018, 01:10 PM)JackCity Wrote: Have a bad feeling we end up with someone like Ryan Finley unless we are in position to take Haskins/Herbert (and they probably like Lock too)

I’d not put it past Cough/Well to move up aggressively for their guy. 
Or at least attempt to do so.

We just need to be the 2nd QB needy team after the giants to make things easy, but the Raiders could throw a wrench in things.  

I also have very little confidence in them to correctly assess the QBs.

Marcus McMaryion is a guy I like as a sleeper QB.

(11-30-2018, 06:07 PM)roycee Wrote: Marcus McMaryion is a guy I like as a sleeper QB.

Kyle Shurmur of Vanderbilt is my late round sleeper.

(11-30-2018, 07:24 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-30-2018, 06:07 PM)roycee Wrote: Marcus McMaryion is a guy I like as a sleeper QB.

I'll have to watch more of him. But his stats the last few weeks are pretty top notch

(This post was last modified: 12-01-2018, 01:13 AM by Jagsfan32277.)

I don't know what you all see in this Tyree Jackson. Guy has a slow throwing motion. Moves and runs like a giraffe. Doesn't have the velocity like a Josh Allen like you all make it sound like, more like a Brock Osweiller. Played against weak competition. A developmental player, 7th round to undrafted free agent. Someone said 2nd round, that's like drafting Tanner Lee in 6th but 10 times worse.

(11-30-2018, 07:24 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Vandy!  My boy!  I'll be surprised if he doesnt get drafted late.  Big guy, solid arm, not much of a runner but does a good job moving in the pocket.  Good leader.  He really improved every year and finished with a great senior season.  64% comp% 23/6 TD/INT ratio.  Over the last two years he threw 49 TDs and 16 INTs.  A pretty good ratio considering they are competing in the SEC where they are out talented almost every game.  But honestly in my mind, he screams backup.  Coaches kid. Knows the game.  Has enough tools you could try to develop and is probably great to have on the roster.  I have a hard time seeing him develop into a front line starter.  Comparing to past Vandy QBs I've seen, he isn't as naturally talented as Jay Cutler was though.  Not even close really.  Too bad you couldnt combine Cutler's physical skillset with all of Shurmur's intangibles.  You'd probably have an all-pro NFL QB.