Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
College QBs 2018 Season/2019 Draft

(12-02-2018, 01:17 PM)pirkster Wrote: Haskins... meh.

We need to stop propping guys who aren't top prospects as top prospects.  Top of class doesn't meant a top NFL caliber prospect.  Just because TwitterScoutTM raves doesn't mean we have to fall in line with that opinion.  They are typically sub-500 on such evaluations because they are desperate to "call" the next star.

If he comes out, Herbert is the one and only to target.

If not, you're getting a backup or middling qb that isn't the franchise, like what we've perpetually had (at best.)

Interesting take...
I disagree.

How Herbert is "the one and only" is beyond me...
and while I'm certainly not super high on one year starter Haskins... I still think he can be very good at the next level.

How you can just lump all these guys in as career back ups is kinda silly.
Not sure what TwitterScoutTM you're referring to but I'm sure plenty of us just watch games and like certain guys.

But I suppose you'd be comfortable rolling with Blake next year?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-03-2018, 05:00 PM)Kane Wrote:

We need to stop propping guys who aren't top prospects as top prospects.  Top of class doesn't meant a top NFL caliber prospect.  Just because TwitterScoutTM raves doesn't mean we have to fall in line with that opinion.  They are typically sub-500 on such evaluations because they are desperate to "call" the next star.

If not, you're getting a backup or middling qb that isn't the franchise, like what we've perpetually had (at best.)

Interesting take...
I disagree.

and while I'm certainly not super high on one year starter Haskins... I still think he can be very good at the next level.

Not sure what TwitterScoutTM you're referring to but I'm sure plenty of us just watch games and like certain guys.

I agree. I don't see Herbert as the only option. Even if he doesn't declare and Haskins does, I feel pretty decent about our options. This is definitely not as good a QB class as last season IMO, but there is still some good QB's available. I believe Haskins, Herbert, Grier and Lock all give us a chance to majorly upgrade the QB position.

What makes you sure he's the one and only QB to target?

After watching a handful of his games some of his traits both positive and negative are very similar to Bortles. But like with any prospect in the draft, it's a risk to see if the negatives can be minimized or eradicated on the next level.

(12-03-2018, 05:42 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-03-2018, 05:00 PM)Kane Wrote: Interesting take...
I disagree.

I agree. I don't see Herbert as the only option. Even if he doesn't declare and Haskins does, I feel pretty decent about our options. This is definitely not as good a QB class as last season IMO, but there is still some good QB's available. I believe Haskins, Herbert, Grier and Lock all give us a chance to majorly upgrade the QB position.

(12-10-2018, 08:04 PM)roycee Wrote:

What makes you sure he's the one and only QB to target?

After watching a handful of his games some of his traits both positive and negative are very similar to Bortles. But like with any prospect in the draft, it's a risk to see if the negatives can be minimized or eradicated on the next level.

He probably saw some highlights on SportsCenter and decided he was the guy

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2018, 03:00 PM by Kane.)

I don't even like Herbert that much. I think he needs to return to school. (I think Haskins probably should too, but someone will take a chance on his 1 year because it was that good)
Herbert accuracy is a concern to me in the system he was in at Oregon. But then again, last draft a lot of people were really high on Josh Allen while I am with Ramsey on that one. Rocket arm and running for 125 yards does not a QB make.
Herbert played against garbage teams and doesn't really do much to impress.

See... when teams draft a guy based on things like big and strong. Or fits the mold of prototypical.... you're asking for it.
Accuracy, winner, leadership, durability. These things matter much more than 6'4+ "rocket arm" "played under center" etc

(12-11-2018, 02:59 PM)Kane Wrote: I don't even like Herbert that much. I think he needs to return to school. (I think Haskins probably should too, but someone will take a chance on his 1 year because it was that good)
Herbert accuracy is a concern to me in the system he was in at Oregon. But then again, last draft a lot of people were really high on Josh Allen while I am with Ramsey on that one. Rocket arm and running for 125 yards does not a QB make.

See... when teams draft a guy based on things like big and strong. Or fits the mold of prototypical.... you're asking for it.
Accuracy, winner, leadership, durability. These things matter much more than 6'4+ "rocket arm" "played under center" etc

Agreed. Accuracy, being able to read a defense and find open receivers, having a quick release and durability are the things that make a really good QB.

(12-11-2018, 02:59 PM)Kane Wrote: I don't even like Herbert that much. I think he needs to return to school. (I think Haskins probably should too, but someone will take a chance on his 1 year because it was that good)

Interestingly enough Herbert wasn't even all conference.

So I’ll add your name to the Gardner Minshew train as well. Smile
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(12-12-2018, 04:52 PM)knarnn Wrote:

I really think he would be a good option in the later rounds, if we decide to double down and draft 2 QB's.

(12-12-2018, 04:52 PM)knarnn Wrote:

Admittedly... I just had to Google that dude.
I can't speak on him right now... but I'm open to any QB prospect... I'll have to go look at what he's done... Quick search shows JuCo star, East Carolina unimpressive 2 seasons, 1 solid season in a QB friendly scheme in a weak conference.
Washington State was the same school Luke Falk came out of, who I initially was high on and faded pretty quickly.
I'm guessing this dude is probably a mid round pick? (3-5) which could be a route to take, if they feel the need to get OL or something first..... I guess.

QBs I like if the Jags draft one early (in no particular order)

Dwayne Haskins
Will Grier
Daniel Jones

My Sleeper is Brett Rypien

(12-13-2018, 07:31 PM)roycee Wrote: QBs I like if the Jags draft one early (in no particular order)

Dwayne Haskins
Will Grier
Daniel Jones

My Sleeper is Brett Rypien

I've been seeing Jones on a few lists lately. I like the high release point.  Would love to see him make more reads but there's not much of that in that scheme it would seem.  Seems accurate enough and can run well - looks pretty tough taking a hit.

Interesting, the knock I've seen on Jones is that he has a low release point.

(12-13-2018, 09:22 PM)Upper Wrote: Interesting, the knock I've seen on Jones is that he has a low release point.

I only watched two cutups on him thus far, but what I'm seeing is that he drops it down when he's rolling out or if he has a clear lane. He brings it up high when he's got traffic. Seems to be aware of it in that way. 

From the Ga.Tech and Northwestern games though, he had a nice high release on several throws over the middle when there were linemen to traverse.

(12-13-2018, 09:34 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-13-2018, 09:22 PM)Upper Wrote: Interesting, the knock I've seen on Jones is that he has a low release point.

I only watched two cutups on him thus far, but what I'm seeing is that he drops it down when he's rolling out or if he has a clear lane. He brings it up high when he's got traffic. Seems to be aware of it in that way. 

From the Ga.Tech and Northwestern games tough, he had a nice high release on several throws over the middle when there were linemen to traverse.

I saw it on the timeline during the Clemon national TV game. He did have a couple batted down at the LoS that game too.

Slowly finding time to watch cut-ups on these QBs  - and so far the only guys making feel like maybe, they might be able to start after the bye week in their rookie year are Grier and Haskins. Right now I'm kind-of leaning toward Grier but I have lots more watching to do. 

The reason I keep emphasizing NFL rookie starts is just based on the notion that the Jags may move ahead keeping their F.O. and HC in place. IF they do that - a vet placeholder QB will likely be yanked if he's not getting it done. Coaches and suits will have jobs riding on it.  The possibility of that scenario has me keyed on QBs that may need to be ready to go in November of 2019. I think it's a real possibility for the Jags next year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CorDZXkHNo

PFF would agree that we need to do whatever it takes to get one of Herbert or Haskins and not wait until 2020.

I'm having a hard time getting a read on Herbert, every game I come away feeling different.

(12-15-2018, 07:37 PM)JackCity Wrote: I'm having a hard time getting a read on Herbert, every game I come away feeling different.

Same. I liked him in the California game. And I liked what I saw in his game against Utah. But other than that? I just don't know if I trust him as an instant starter. His completion percentage took a huge dive this year too. He doesn't really have big games that jump off the page at you either. I think he doesn't always trust what he sees out there too. 

I get the allure of his size and frame. He's a 6'6 lengthy kid with a decent frame to build into. And has shown some decent ability to get outside of the pocket and create some plays with his legs. But his accuracy needs some work. 

And I think he's going to need a year to get fully comfortable. I think if anything we need to learn from what happened with Gabbert and Bortles. Which means we would need another stop gap QB. Maybe that's Kessler in 2019. Maybe it's Manning. Maybe it's Flacco.

But if they have any intentions on taking Herbert. It would be best if he wasn't thrust into the starting line up. I would say the same for Haskins and Grier. But I truly feel both of those guys will be more NFL ready than Herbert will be. I could see those guys starting by week one or week eight depending on where they land and under what circumstances.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

The only knock on Haskins is his lack of college starts.

He’s accurate, has a quick release, doesn’t then the ball over and has the arm strength to make every throw. I think as the draft process continues, he will separate himself from the rest and become the #1 QB.