Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Brexit

Anyone following this?  I've gotten interested in it.  

Also, I've become terribly impressed with a Tory back-bencher named Jacob Rees-Mogg.  He's from the right wing of the Conservative party.   He's an incredibly intelligent guy.  

Brexit could be an awful train wreck, or it could be like y2k.   Remember y2k?   

I'm interested in anyone's opinion.  Especially anyone who lives over there and is immersed in it.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-20-2018, 03:44 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Anyone following this?  I've gotten interested in it.  

Also, I've become terribly impressed with a Tory back-bencher named Jacob Rees-Mogg.  He's from the right wing of the Conservative party.   He's an incredibly intelligent guy.  

I'm interested in anyone's opinion.  Especially anyone who lives over there and is immersed in it.

Britain was never participating in either Shengen or the Euro.
So it never really sacrificed much in terms of sovereignty to the EU.
And it never really gained much that it couldn't have gained while remaining outside the EU.
The main thing they lost was the ability to set their own trade rules and tariffs.
The UK doesn't want the ability to set its own tariff rates badly enough to disturb the status quo in Northern Ireland.  And Northern Ireland doesn't know what it wants; they sent more DUP members than Sinn Fein but they also voted to Remain.  There is some chance that the UK may seek to set unique tariff and trade policies but defer to the EU rates and policies in Northern Ireland.  But this would make the entire division of Ireland seem somewhat pointless.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Right now, things are so confused about what's going to happen, and the UK and the EU are so unprepared for what will happen when the UK crashes out of the EU in March, that there is one sensible course of action which retains all of the options, and that is, for Ms May to revoke her exercise of Article 50, and re-start the process. It would give the UK and the EU two more years to plan an orderly Brexit.

No such thing as an orderly Brexit. None of the leaders have negotiated in good faith and they never will.

Hitler got exactly what he wanted, a unified Europe dominated by Germany.

(12-21-2018, 11:48 AM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: No such thing as an orderly Brexit.  None of the leaders have negotiated in good faith and they never will.  

And there sits England on her island, alone. Again.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-20-2018, 04:50 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(12-20-2018, 03:44 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Anyone following this?  I've gotten interested in it.  

Britain was never participating in either Shengen or the Euro.
So it never really sacrificed much in terms of sovereignty to the EU.
And it never really gained much that it couldn't have gained while remaining outside the EU.
The main thing they lost was the ability to set their own trade rules and tariffs.
The UK doesn't want the ability to set its own tariff rates badly enough to disturb the status quo in Northern Ireland.  And Northern Ireland doesn't know what it wants; they sent more DUP members than Sinn Fein but they also voted to Remain.  There is some chance that the UK may seek to set unique tariff and trade policies but defer to the EU rates and policies in Northern Ireland.  But this would make the entire division of Ireland seem somewhat pointless.

Exactly.  What is the point of the backstop if there's no exit deal and the UK just leaves?   Ireland isn't going to put up a hard border.  And the UK doesn't want to, either.   

But I admit I'm just learning about Brexit, so I may not know what I'm talking about at all.  I just don't see the actual need for the backstop.

(12-21-2018, 11:48 AM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: No such thing as an orderly Brexit.  None of the leaders have negotiated in good faith and they never will.  

That's a terrible joke.  When I was in Germany I heard a different, and much better, version of it. "What Germany could not gain by War she has simply purchased from willing sellers."
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.