Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Daniel Jones QB Duke

(01-08-2019, 08:16 PM)pirkster Wrote:
(12-27-2018, 03:53 PM)JackCity Wrote: He's tall, white and is coached by the guy who coached Peyton+Eli and has linked up with both of them. So naturally the media is very friendly to him

So this explains the gross exaggerations of Haskins...

Care to elaborate?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2019, 09:31 AM by Bullseye.)

(12-27-2018, 04:13 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-27-2018, 03:53 PM)JackCity Wrote: He's tall, white and is coached by the guy who coached Peyton+Eli and has linked up with both of them. So naturally the media is very friendly to him

In the last two seasons, the guy hasn't even been able to get to a 60% completion rating. He's been at 56.7% and 59%. That's terrible. It automatically disqualifies him as far as I'm concerned.

To play Devil's Advocate for the moment, he WAS playing at Duke, a program not exactly replete with top tier talent around him.  That can adversely impact a QB's completion percentage.

(12-27-2018, 09:45 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-27-2018, 09:31 PM)Firesky Wrote: He looked terrific today. I like that hes a 3 year starter and had the same qb coach as peyton and eli. Strengths are a pro style offense (besides the amount of shotgun) and ability to make reads, solid footwork and throws from a good platform with even shoulders, decent motion/release; cons are arm strength, the tendency to play more out of shotgun and completion %.

Most of his detractors dislike the completion % but forget that Duke was plagued by injuries this year, has a lack of talent to begon with and dont recognize that he took a bottom feeder program in a basketball school to prominence in the ACC.

He likeley will need to sit a year to get up to nfl speed, and learn to take snaps under center. His arm strength is the biggest concern but i believe that he has enough arm to make all the neccessary nfl throws, although he wont have much extra sauce so to speak. His completion % is another point of concern but less so considering he was plagued by drops from an injured and substandard supporting cast talent wise. I think our 2nd round pick with a tradeup would be the right spot to target him but by no means should we reach for him in the top 10.

Those were the same things Josh Allen fans said about him least year. I'll pass.
It doesn't negate the validity of the observation in either case.

Allen may not ever develop into a great QB.  Too many variables to say definitively.

But to say he doesn't have the raw tools isn't true either.  The TD pass he had against us was a great throw.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(01-07-2019, 06:10 PM)Firesky Wrote: https://www.lockedonjaguars.com/jaguars/...iel-jones/

The more tape I watch on Jones... the more impressed I become. Especially with the connection to the Mannings.

I think we draft him in the 1st if Haskins isn't there. there is A LOT to like. He doesn't have the arm haskins does; but it seems like that's in the form of "zip" on passes, i've seen him air it out 45-50 yards on a dime several times watching tape. Kid can make full field reads, makes presnap reads well, goes through progressions, navigates the pocket well, has the arm to make every throw, has great touch on his passes, is accurate, multi year starter, great on the play action, moves safeties with his eyes etc. This kid is very good and I think he can win with this roster right now if we return our injured starters.

(sorry for "double post" but it's been a week and no one else had anything to add on the topic)

Interesting that none of the top ranked QBs (Haskins, Lock, Jones, Grier) check all of the criteria mentioned in the link above.

Are these criteria absolute, or is there flexibility?

If so, which deficiency is TC willing to overlook?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I find it interesting. Some people want to pass on Jones because of his completion % 59.9 for his career, with what most would agree is a pretty lackluster supporting cast. Meanwhile those same people want to draft Drew Lock who has a lower career completion % 56.9 with more NFL talent around him.

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2019, 10:53 AM by JackCity.)

(01-08-2019, 08:16 PM)pirkster Wrote:

So this explains the gross exaggerations of Haskins...

You keep saying things like this without having *any* analysis added on.   

Not that its surprising. Your QB analysis has been god awful in the past.

(01-09-2019, 09:40 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(01-07-2019, 06:10 PM)Firesky Wrote: https://www.lockedonjaguars.com/jaguars/...iel-jones/

The more tape I watch on Jones... the more impressed I become. Especially with the connection to the Mannings.

I think we draft him in the 1st if Haskins isn't there. there is A LOT to like. He doesn't have the arm haskins does; but it seems like that's in the form of "zip" on passes, i've seen him air it out 45-50 yards on a dime several times watching tape. Kid can make full field reads, makes presnap reads well, goes through progressions, navigates the pocket well, has the arm to make every throw, has great touch on his passes, is accurate, multi year starter, great on the play action, moves safeties with his eyes etc. This kid is very good and I think he can win with this roster right now if we return our injured starters.

(sorry for "double post" but it's been a week and no one else had anything to add on the topic)

Interesting that none of the top ranked QBs (Haskins, Lock, Jones, Grier) check all of the criteria mentioned in the link above.

The Parcell rules are more guidelines than anything else and are woefully outdated to boot. They essentially serve as a risk assessment.  
There is no correlation to success with them.

(01-09-2019, 10:50 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-09-2019, 09:40 AM)Bullseye Wrote: ...

The Parcell rules are more guidelines than anything else and are woefully outdated to boot. They essentially serve as a risk assessment.  

I agree with this take on the Parcells guidelines, but I'm not so sure Coughlin does.
Undecided

(01-09-2019, 10:55 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-09-2019, 10:50 AM)JackCity Wrote:

I agree with this take on the Parcells guidelines, but I'm not so sure Coughlin does.
Undecided

I know he said he uses them but I tend to still take that as risk assessment wise. Like ideally everyone would like a college QB who has multiple years of experience , who won a lot and was productive. They still have to be good enough.  

The interesting part of this draft is how Gettleman + Tom view Drew Lock. I mean, would it be that shocking if either of them wanted the rocket armed SEC multiple year starter QB over Haskins? With how the NFL views QB I would say no.

(01-08-2019, 10:40 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-08-2019, 09:06 AM)Firesky Wrote: You dont know what youre talking about.  Jomes had a 63% completion % as a freshmen. And a 60.5% completion % this year. The only year he dropped below the 60% threshhold was his sophomore year where he played through a broken collarbone.

Keep in mind Duke was ravaged by injuries and didnt surround him with premier talent so drops and a lesser catch radius are a factor. Regardless to say hes "never cracked 60%" is the epitome of ignorance

Actually, it was 62.8% his freshman year, so I was wrong, but that's still pretty pedestrian. If you have to go back to his freshman season to find a year he cracked 60% that is not good. That is not the sign of a first round QB. No excuses. If we miss out on Haskins and wait until the second round or later to draft a QB then all bets are off. I won't complain, because we could still use our first round pick in 2020 and sign a veteran to keep us going. Using a first round pick on a QB like Jones would set this team back significantly though.

He just had above 60% completion % this year ... "have to go back to his freshman season" what are you talking about?!?

Also, its well known that Duke isn't exactly a football school and no player other than Jones is nfl worthy, its worth mentioning that Daniel Jones had a 13.8% drop rate which is higher than any qb in this class or last years class. (Next closest was 8% by Lamar Jackson and Baker Mayfield) given that he took Duke to winning seasons woth not much aroumd him... imagine what he could do with nfl caliber players and actual talent around him.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2019, 05:07 PM by Upper.)

I've said it before, but the Parcells QB rules are as outdated as Jimmy Johnson's pick trade value chart and Doug Marrone's offensive philosphy. None of the 3 should have any bearing whatsoever when it comes to anything.

It's easy to see why he struggles with his completion perecentage. He had a few ugly throws, but most are right on target. Just LOL at the drops...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QGCCAiU54Q
'02

(01-10-2019, 08:40 AM)Jags02 Wrote: It's easy to see why he struggles with his completion perecentage. He had a few ugly throws, but most are right on target. Just LOL at the drops...

This is why completion percentage is useless unless you watch game footage and see how many of the incompletions would have been catches if they weren't dropped.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

I'm watching Daniel Jones constantly dip the ball to his hip when he throws....

(01-10-2019, 09:16 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: I'm watching Daniel Jones constantly dip the ball to his hip when he throws....

Where? I just watched his first several passes and didn't see him dip even once. I was even telling myself after watching another video how it's nice to see he doesn't dip the ball. 
'02

Of the top QBs in this draft. He had the worst team around him in my opinion.

(01-10-2019, 10:18 AM)roycee Wrote: Of the top QBs in this draft. He had the worst team around him in my opinion.

This is without question. Just imagine if he was throwing to Ohio State, Mizzu or even West Virginia WRs.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(01-10-2019, 09:05 AM)Dimson Wrote:
(01-10-2019, 08:40 AM)Jags02 Wrote: It's easy to see why he struggles with his completion perecentage. He had a few ugly throws, but most are right on target. Just LOL at the drops...

This is why completion percentage is useless unless you watch game footage and see how many of the incompletions would have been catches if they weren't dropped.
I only had to watch 40 seconds to see what you mean.

The ball he throws at the 35 second mark is an absolute dime and I have no clue how that guy dropped that.

(01-10-2019, 09:16 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: I'm watching Daniel Jones constantly dip the ball to his hip when he throws....

Eh, his motion goes a little low before he gets the ball off, but he's pretty quick about it.  He's not hanging the ball out there or anything. 

[Image: giphy.gif]

(01-10-2019, 11:15 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Eh, his motion goes a little low before he gets the ball off, but he's pretty quick about it.  He's not hanging the ball out there or anything. 

No he's quick about it.. but everything is magnified in the NFL versus College.

I just think we should be done with QBs without PERFECT mechanics.

(01-10-2019, 11:46 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(01-10-2019, 11:15 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Eh, his motion goes a little low before he gets the ball off, but he's pretty quick about it.  He's not hanging the ball out there or anything. 

Then we won't draft one then..no QB has PERFECT mechanics.

(01-10-2019, 11:46 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(01-10-2019, 11:15 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Eh, his motion goes a little low before he gets the ball off, but he's pretty quick about it.  He's not hanging the ball out there or anything. 

I'm of the opinion that there are loads of talented athletes coming from the college ranks.  
But unfortunately I think that the quarterbacks and OTs coming out of the NCAA are very often lacking polish and often have gaps in their teaching. Many have flawed techniques that have been acceptable in the systems they've played in. 

I don't think that's a trend that will be going away anytime soon. 

Hey, it could be worse...

[Image: main-qimg-fc88ca70d03ac4ad996892944c1ded61.webp]