Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Daniel Jones QB Duke

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2019, 12:22 PM by Kane.)

(01-10-2019, 11:57 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-10-2019, 11:46 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: No he's quick about it.. but everything is magnified in the NFL versus College.

I just think we should be done with QBs without PERFECT mechanics.

I'm of the opinion that there are loads of talented athletes coming from the college ranks.  
But unfortunately I think that the quarterbacks and OTs coming out of the NCAA are very often lacking polish and often have gaps in their teaching. Many have flawed techniques that have been acceptable in the systems they've played in. 

I don't think that's a trend that will be going away anytime soon. 

Hey, it could be worse...

[Image: main-qimg-fc88ca70d03ac4ad996892944c1ded61.webp]

Is it me or does that still look better than Walk Like an Egyptian Bortles?
[Image: CvivJOtWEAAIYBn.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-10-2019, 12:22 PM)Kane Wrote:
(01-10-2019, 11:57 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I'm of the opinion that there are loads of talented athletes coming from the college ranks.  
But unfortunately I think that the quarterbacks and OTs coming out of the NCAA are very often lacking polish and often have gaps in their teaching. Many have flawed techniques that have been acceptable in the systems they've played in. 

Is it me or does that still look better than Walk Like an Egyptian Bortles?

flip a coin

heads: motion sucks
tails:  motion sucks

It's not getting better either  -

[Image: tim-tebows-throwing-mechanics-are-as-biz...size=400:*]

(01-10-2019, 11:57 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-10-2019, 11:46 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: No he's quick about it.. but everything is magnified in the NFL versus College.

I'm of the opinion that there are loads of talented athletes coming from the college ranks.  

[Image: main-qimg-fc88ca70d03ac4ad996892944c1ded61.webp]

Lol, I know a defensive end with better throwing motion than that.

(01-10-2019, 11:57 AM)roycee Wrote:

Then we won't draft one then..no QB has PERFECT mechanics.

Never watched Dan Marino?

I did notice his throwing motion as described but since hes dropping it to chest level (less of a drop than kyler murray tbh, and no ones mentioned his) and the ball comes out quickly idt it matters. Rivers has an unorthodox motion as well but its a quick overall motion. Bortles, tebow, leftwich etc. Took a year to deliver the ball after their windup which is the real problem.

Jones throws with a good platform, shoulders square and paralell to the ground and has overall great footwork on his drops (throws to his left it can get a little sloppy but that can be coached and corrected simce hes capable of maintaining the footwork on throws to the right) overall he has one of the better set of mechanics in this draft, thats frankly the least of my concerns.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

I don't get all the hate. Tall, strong armed QB who appears to be tough as nails. Plus he went to Duke so you know he is smart.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(01-10-2019, 11:48 PM)Dimson Wrote: I don't get all the hate. Tall, strong armed QB who appears to be tough as nails. Plus he went to Duke so you know he is smart.

Dane Brugler just mocked him to the Jags at #7. 

And he cited what others here have concerning the lack of talent around him affecting his completion percentage and production. 

I've warmed up on the player a bit over the past week of reading about him.

(01-11-2019, 12:06 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-10-2019, 11:48 PM)Dimson Wrote: I don't get all the hate. Tall, strong armed QB who appears to be tough as nails. Plus he went to Duke so you know he is smart.

Dane Brugler just mocked him to the Jags at #7. 

And he cited what others here have concerning the lack of talent around him affecting his completion percentage and production. 

I've warmed up on the player a bit over the past week of reading about him.

Same here. If you take away his drops, he is well over 60%. It was so bad in that Virginia game that the commentators mentioned it. When it is noticeably bad, that is saying something. And it is not like he is throwing rocket shots either. He clearly has touch on his throws when he needs it.

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2019, 03:03 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

I remember when Byron Leftwich's receivers had tons of drops in college and people were saying it was because a lack of talent around him. Turns out, Byron rocketed every pass, even screens to the point where it was very noticeable the guy had absolutely no touch on the ball, which made it difficult for the receivers to make receptions. I fear Jones might have the same problem.

(01-11-2019, 03:02 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I remember when Byron Leftwich's receivers had tons of drops in college and people were saying it was because a lack of talent around him. Turns out, Byron rocketed every pass, even screens to the point where it was very noticeable the guy had absolutely no touch on the ball, which made it difficult for the receivers to make receptions. I fear Jones might have the same problem.

I don't know. Watch at least the first few minutes of that video I posted. His WRs were dropping perfectly thrown touch passes. A few of them simply had no business being dropped.

My issues with Daniel Jones are two-fold... 1. When pressure does come he doesn't always feel it and will get buried. 2. Much like Haskins, he doesn't have a well refined deep game.

Apparently, there are no pro-set ready qbs in this draft capable of starting right away. Lock is so stiff it may take him a while to learn to drop back correctly, but he easily has the best deep arm and that includes deep accuracy. Grier looks like he's been in a spread system forever, but he does have some escapability and he can feel pressure. Jones is fairly mobile and has good footwork, but again he just doesn't have that eye in the back of his head. Haskins is the one guy that just looks comfortable in the pocket and has very impressive footwork. He's been working out of a shotgun spread system just like everyone else, but I'm hoping his lack of experience here is a benefit allowing him to part from that system more easily while learning the pro set. 
'02

(01-11-2019, 03:27 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 03:02 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I remember when Byron Leftwich's receivers had tons of drops in college and people were saying it was because a lack of talent around him. Turns out, Byron rocketed every pass, even screens to the point where it was very noticeable the guy had absolutely no touch on the ball, which made it difficult for the receivers to make receptions. I fear Jones might have the same problem.

I don't know. Watch at least the first few minutes of that video I posted. His WRs were dropping perfectly thrown touch passes. A few of them simply had no business being dropped.

My issues with Daniel Jones are two-fold... 1. When pressure does come he doesn't always feel it and will get buried. 2. Much like Haskins, he doesn't have a well refined deep game.

Apparently, there are no pro-set ready qbs in this draft capable of starting right away. Lock is so stiff it may take him a while to learn to drop back correctly, but he easily has the best deep arm and that includes deep accuracy. Grier looks like he's been in a spread system forever, but he does have some escapability and he can feel pressure. Jones is fairly mobile and has good footwork, but again he just doesn't have that eye in the back of his head. Haskins is the one guy that just looks comfortable in the pocket and has very impressive footwork. He's been working out of a shotgun spread system just like everyone else, but I'm hoping his lack of experience here is a benefit allowing him to part from that system more easily while learning the pro set. 

shotgun spread is what they primarily use in the pros now.

(01-11-2019, 03:28 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 03:27 AM)Jags02 Wrote: I don't know. Watch at least the first few minutes of that video I posted. His WRs were dropping perfectly thrown touch passes. A few of them simply had no business being dropped.

shotgun spread is what they primarily use in the pros now.

It's becomming more trendy, but I wouldn't use the word "primarily." 
'02

(01-11-2019, 03:31 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 03:28 AM)JackCity Wrote: shotgun spread is what they primarily use in the pros now.

It's becomming more trendy, but I wouldn't use the word "primarily." 

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/snap-...-off-.html

Unsurprisingly, the numbers are close to matching that of the percentage of snaps that teams spend in Nickel.

(01-11-2019, 03:54 AM)empty Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 03:31 AM)Jags02 Wrote: It's becomming more trendy, but I wouldn't use the word "primarily." 

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/snap-...-off-.html

Unsurprisingly, the numbers are close to matching that of the percentage of snaps that teams spend in Nickel.

Interesting. So, 8 out of 32 teams are in the shotgun more than 68% of the time. There are also 8 teams in the shotgun less than 56 percent of the time. I still wouldn't use the word "primarily."
'02

Or you could watch Daniel Jones play.

(01-11-2019, 06:52 AM)roycee Wrote:

Or you could watch Daniel Jones play.

Whoa now. That may be asking a little too much there.

(01-11-2019, 09:59 AM)Dimson Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 06:52 AM)roycee Wrote: Or you could watch Daniel Jones play.

Whoa now. That may be asking a little too much there.

I did watch him play....... actual games (vs. Virginia Tech and Miami) not some put together highlight reel. I'm sorry, I was not impressed.

Regarding the bolded, I feel confident that if you watched three cut-ups of Jones passes (not highlights) you'd come away feeling differently about that. 

I'm no big advocate for the guy - but he shows some touch and careful ball placement. There really are just a lot of drops from receivers that will never play on the NFL level.

(01-11-2019, 10:11 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 09:59 AM)Dimson Wrote: Whoa now. That may be asking a little too much there.

I did watch him play....... actual games (vs. Virginia Tech and Miami) not some put together highlight reel. I'm sorry, I was not impressed.

If you did you would know lack of touch isn't a problem in his game.

(01-11-2019, 10:56 AM)roycee Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 10:11 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I did watch him play....... actual games (vs. Virginia Tech and Miami) not some put together highlight reel. I'm sorry, I was not impressed.

If you did you would know lack of touch isn't a problem in his game.
He also didn't watch the youtube vid posted in this thread. It was no highlight clip. Highlight clips don't show interceptions and incompletions.