Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
RB's

We spent our 5th rounder on a RB, and you guys want to spend another pick on one? Yikes.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-03-2019, 01:38 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: We spent our 5th rounder on a RB, and you guys want to spend another pick on one? Yikes.

If we trade Fournette yes

The RB class continues to grow. This time Miles Sanders of Penn State is the latest to enter. This guy is intriguing. He played behind Saquan Barkley and had a big year, when he was finally featured. He's a really good pass catcher with breakaway speed and averaged almost 6 yards per rush. If we trade Fournette, I'd give him a look.

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2019, 11:00 PM by knarnn.)

(01-02-2019, 10:48 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: After watching him the other night and looking into it a little deeper, there isn't any doubt my top back is Trayveon Williams.  The guys is a stud and had almost 1000 yards and 10 TDs in his last 5 games and playing teams like Auburn, Ole Miss, LSU, NC St.  If we do trade LF we better get this guy.

Let’s not go overboard now.

I like the few cut ups I’ve seen of him. The scouts apparently don’t though. He’s projecting as a later day 3 guy. It’s kind of hard to believe someone with his production isn’t being touted higher. With that said though I certainly wouldn’t mind him in the later rounds as competition.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2019, 11:07 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(01-03-2019, 12:20 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-02-2019, 10:48 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: After watching him the other night and looking into it a little deeper, there isn't any doubt my top back is Trayveon Williams.  The guys is a stud and had almost 1000 yards and 10 TDs in his last 5 games and playing teams like Auburn, Ole Miss, LSU, NC St.  If we do trade LF we better get this guy.

He'll have to declare first and given this crowded RB class, I believe he should wait until the 2020 draft.

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/A...126039254/

(01-03-2019, 10:59 PM)knarnn Wrote:

I like the few cut ups I’ve seen of him. The scouts apparently don’t though. He’s projecting as a later day 3 guy. It’s kind of hard to believe someone with his production isn’t being touted higher. With that said though I certainly wouldn’t mind him in the later rounds as competition.

Im not buying it and how do you know what the scouts are thinking?  I dont really think its going overboard either with no clear cut favorite at RB

(01-03-2019, 10:59 PM)knarnn Wrote:

Not to mention if that's really how the scouts felt what the hell does that mean?  They have been wrong many of times and especially on RBs.  Hell a lot of us loved Kittle last year and he didnt get drafted till the 5th round and he ended up being the best TE in the league this year.

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2019, 06:22 AM by knarnn.)

(01-03-2019, 11:24 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-03-2019, 10:59 PM)knarnn Wrote: Let’s not go overboard now.

Not to mention if that's really how the scouts felt what the hell does that mean?  They have been wrong many of times and especially on RBs.  Hell a lot of us loved Kittle last year and he didnt get drafted till the 5th round and he ended up being the best TE in the league this year.

I’m just harping on your tendency to fall in love with a prospect. Like I said I like him as well and I’m extremely impressed with his production. But I would like to know a little bit more as to why he isn’t being regarded higher in the scouting community, especially as you put it, with no clear cut favorite at RB this year.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Theres honestly like 15 backs I like in this class.

Hard to know what way to approach it if you need a RB. On one hand with so much depth you can be sure to get a pretty good guy after the 3rd round but on the other hand once that run starts who knows where guys will go. As of right now I'd have that high 4th primed for a RB but of course that depends how we address the Oline/TE/WR/QB stuff first.

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2019, 07:22 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(01-04-2019, 06:16 AM)knarnn Wrote:
(01-03-2019, 11:24 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Not to mention if that's really how the scouts felt what the hell does that mean?  They have been wrong many of times and especially on RBs.  Hell a lot of us loved Kittle last year and he didnt get drafted till the 5th round and he ended up being the best TE in the league this year.

I’m just harping on your tendency to fall in love with a prospect. Like I said I like him as well and I’m extremely impressed with his production. But I would like to know a little bit more as to why he isn’t being regarded higher in the scouting community, especially as you put it, with no clear cut favorite at RB this year.
You wanting to trade up for Haskins like you do is the definition of falling in love with a prospect, that is how you set a franchise back.  There are some other backs I'd be happy with but I think I like Williams the best.  How do you know where the scouting department has him right now?  You know some scouts?

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2019, 09:18 AM by Caldrac.)

I like Justice Hill out of OSU, Josh Jacobs out of Alabama, Bennie Snell out of Kentucky and Myles Gaskin out of Washington. I think we could end up landing any one of those guys between RD's 3 - 5.

I don't know if Coughlin & Co. will look to move on from Fournette within the next few months but I am assuming that Yeldon won't be coming back and I don't know where Grant's at with his foot injury. We should still have Hyde though.

If they're aiming to land a 3rd down back though I really like Jacobs the most. He seems to have the most value when it comes to running and receiving out of the backfield. And that kid can lay the wood too. He popped somebody really good in that Bowl game over the weekend.

I would just keep an eye on him. Everybody is mostly focused on Damien Harris out of there but I think Josh Jacobs is better. He could potentially have a Sony Michel type of rookie season.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-04-2019, 06:54 AM)JackCity Wrote: Theres honestly like 15 backs I like in this class.  

Hard to know what way to approach it if you need a RB. On one hand with so much depth you can be sure to get a pretty good guy after the 3rd round but on the other hand once that run starts who knows where guys will go. As of right now I'd have that high 4th primed for a RB but of course that depends how we address the Oline/TE/WR/QB stuff first.

I agree. Every time I look a good college RB is declaring for the draft. I still stick to my guns though. If we trade LF, then I definitely use a day 2 pick on a RB. If not, I don't draft one and sign one or two of the plethora of solid UDFA RB's who won't get selected, because of an overcrowded class.

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2019, 12:33 PM by knarnn.)

(01-04-2019, 07:19 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-04-2019, 06:16 AM)knarnn Wrote: I’m just harping on your tendency to fall in love with a prospect. Like I said I like him as well and I’m extremely impressed with his production. But I would like to know a little bit more as to why he isn’t being regarded higher in the scouting community, especially as you put it, with no clear cut favorite at RB this year.
You wanting to trade up for Haskins like you do is the definition of falling in love with a prospect, that is how you set a franchise back.  There are some other backs I'd be happy with but I think I like Williams the best.  How do you know where the scouting department has him right now?  You know some scouts?

I don’t care if they trade up for Haskins or not. I’m ok if they don’t move at all and take Grier, Lock, or wait until later and snag my sleeper in Minshew and sit him behind a vet. I have no idea where this scouting department has him or any other players. My comments are based off of various websites and links. Feel free to look at the scouting reports/mock drafts/write ups scattered around the web on him.

Again, I like him as a prospect. But I’m not ready to declare a guy who’s getting day 3 projections the best RB in the draft, and we don’t even know definitively why yet. Why don’t we wait until we have a bigger piece of the puzzle first (after the combine etc) before making that declaration?

I just hope this front office has learned a lesson about drafting a RB early.
I wouldn't bother with one in this draft till the 5th or later and then snag a couple of UDFA guys to scrap it out in camp.

(01-04-2019, 08:14 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Please Sum

https://twitter.com/JReidNFL/status/1081060797114134528

Best jump cuts since Freddie T himself.

Another interesting RB declared today. Elijah Holyfield of Georgia. He is a dynamic runner with breakaway speed, but has not really been tested as far as being a receiver. I have no idea what these kids are thinking. Next year, he could've he had a chance to be a first or second round pick, but this year, he's probably a mid rounder. This is very, very deep RB class. Even if we trade Fournette, I wouldn't draft a RB until the 3rd day of the draft. There will be some very good RB's there in the 6th and 7th rounds and quite a few as UDFA's.

(01-04-2019, 10:50 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Another interesting RB declared today. Elijah Holyfield of Georgia. He is a dynamic runner with breakaway speed, but has not really been tested as far as being a receiver. I have no idea what these kids are thinking. Next year, he could've he had a chance to be a first or second round pick, but this year, he's probably a mid rounder. This is very, very deep RB class. Even if we trade Fournette, I wouldn't draft a RB until the 3rd day of the draft. There will be some very good RB's there in the 6th and 7th rounds and quite a few as UDFA's.

He has a better chance of going high this year than he does next year + would have to go through another season with more carries and more injury risk.

(01-04-2019, 12:48 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I just hope this front office has learned a lesson about drafting a RB early.
I wouldn't bother with one in this draft till the 5th or later and then snag a couple of UDFA guys to scrap it out in camp.

Not only that, I hope they learned how to evaluate the position!! 

Gerhart-signed to be starter
Yeldon-36th overall
Ivory-paid top 5 RB at time
Fournette-4th overall
Hyde-traded a 5th for the guy

I mean best pickups probably Grant and Williams? The coaching staff seemed to never know how to use Grant (common complaint on the board) and then unfortunately he got a terrible injury that might be too much to overcome. If they end up trading Fournette and have to again spend resources at this position... I seriously hope they get it together. It’s been atrocious.

(01-04-2019, 11:10 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(01-04-2019, 12:48 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I just hope this front office has learned a lesson about drafting a RB early.

Not only that, I hope they learned how to evaluate the position!! 

Gerhart-signed to be starter
Yeldon-36th overall
Ivory-paid top 5 RB at time
Fournette-4th overall
Hyde-traded a 5th for the guy

I mean best pickups probably Grant and Williams? The coaching staff seemed to never know how to use Grant (common complaint on the board) and then unfortunately he got a terrible injury that might be too much to overcome. If they end up trading Fournette and have to again spend resources at this position... I seriously hope they get it together. It’s been atrocious.

While the Gerhart signing seemed like it was more about setting up a committee with Denard and maybe Storm Johnson, you're not wrong.  They've been steady getting it wrong with running backs. 

I hope they don't invest heavily in one this year. I'd rather get the run blocking tightened up and make due with what's on hand at RB  plus a late pick.

To me, the most overlooked RB in this class is Rodney Anderson of Oklahoma. Had he not gotten injured early in the year and basically missed the entire season, I believe he would've been a first round RB. The kid is big 6'1" 220 lbs. with excellent speed, a second gear, good hands out of the backfield and once he gets the ball in space, he's a danger to take it to the house every time. I know this latest knee injury is the third season ending injury for him in 4 years, but one was due to a broken leg and the other was a fractured vertebra in his neck. Injuries like broken bones are way less concerning than constant knee or back issues. He came back fine in 2017 rushing for 1161 yards with 6.2 ypc and 13 rushing touchdowns. He also had 205 yards receiving and 5 touchdowns through the air. This season he had 100 yards on just 5 carries against FAU and the following game against UCLA, he was lost for the season in the first quarter. If this kid is still on the board in the 5th round, I just might consider trading up to get him. Hopefully, teams will fall in love with some of the RB's who aren't coming off injuries and he'll be pushed down the draft boards. His injury occurred early in year, so he should be on track to be ready by the 2019 NFL season.