Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Let's learn English

(01-03-2019, 05:24 PM)JagAU09 Wrote: Dominant and dominate.

The Jaguars will dominate the other team with their dominant defense.

Americans are the only nationality I've seen routinely mess that up..so odd.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-03-2019, 04:35 PM)MikePete54 Wrote: I never know when to use "these" or "those".

I was taught to think directionally and use "these" as if you are presenting something in your hands (inward facing), ie "look at these apples", and think of "those" as something you are pointing to (outward facing), ie "look at those apple trees."
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

People seem to have a lot of trouble with imply and infer. There's a simple rule for their usage: the speaker implies, the listener infers.

(01-04-2019, 10:39 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: People seem to have a lot of trouble with imply and infer. There's a simple rule for their usage: the speaker implies, the listener infers.

infer is what charges got you thrown in jail.

As in, as soon as you get locked up, your cellmate asks, "Whatcha infer?"

(01-04-2019, 09:41 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-03-2019, 04:35 PM)MikePete54 Wrote: I never know when to use "these" or "those".

I was taught to think directionally and use "these" as if you are presenting something in your hands (inward facing), ie "look at these apples", and think of "those" as something you are pointing to (outward facing), ie "look at those apple trees."

[Image: giphy.gif]

Where does "How 'bout them apples" fit directionally?
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(01-04-2019, 11:07 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(01-04-2019, 09:41 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I was taught to think directionally and use "these" as if you are presenting something in your hands (inward facing), ie "look at these apples", and think of "those" as something you are pointing to (outward facing), ie "look at those apple trees."

Where does "How 'bout them apples" fit directionally?

West Virginia or South Boston?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Pacific: world's largest ocean

Specific: clearly defined or identified.

(01-04-2019, 12:28 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-02-2019, 07:01 PM)Sammy Wrote: See now that is the type of help I am looking for. I have many failures, and I am not alone. So I do appreciate all support (critical, or supportive).

One I REALLY have to stop and consider which form of spelling to use is ... Affect versus Effect. If you could find it in your heart to make this much more simple for me, I would be greatly appreciative.

My dinningroom is bigger than my livingroom. I have been posting on another board requesting ideas on ways to swap them without a major undertaking, and "now" I realize the reason I am not getting any help could be an error in my  grammar ... It is still possible that they do like me, but just don't understand my question being the reason know one has replied.

Affect is an action, Effect is not, ie The Coughlin Effect affects behaviors.

For some fun reading try this list: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_effects

I'm with Sammy on this one.  Your explanation solved nothing as the Coughlin Effect definitely had an affect on behaviors.  English makes no since, cents, scents aw heck I give up.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

The use of "of" in place of "have" in the instances of "would've, should've and could've" is maddening to me. Then you point it out and get scolded with "but that's what it sounds like".... Don't make excuses, I know we all have grammatical and/or spelling issues from time to time, but the use of "of" as stated above quite literally makes no sense.
Signature goes here.

While I'm ranting ............

WAITRESSING IS NOT A PROFESSION!!!!!!!!!!!

Waiting tables, serving - acceptable
WAITRESSING - NO

Could you see someone telling you that they have been PLUMBERING to pay for college? How about CAB DRIVERING? or ARCHITECTING?
Signature goes here.

(01-05-2019, 11:07 PM)copycat Wrote:
(01-04-2019, 12:28 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Affect is an action, Effect is not, ie The Coughlin Effect affects behaviors.

For some fun reading try this list: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_effects

I'm with Sammy on this one.  Your explanation solved nothing as the Coughlin Effect definitely had an affect on behaviors.  English makes no since, cents, scents aw heck I give up.

It's a tough one since "effect" can be a noun or a verb depending on the usage. You have to work hard to make "affect" a noun.

(01-06-2019, 08:00 AM)TheBigDawg Wrote: While I'm ranting ............

WAITRESSING IS NOT A PROFESSION!!!!!!!!!!!

Waiting tables, serving - acceptable
WAITRESSING - NO

Could you see someone telling you that they have been PLUMBERING to pay for college? How about CAB DRIVERING? or ARCHITECTING?

I enjoy message boarding.

Ewe no wut hertz my iballs? Is wen eye sea sum ppl you’s comas not Wright. Or allot.

What? No one is going to say it? (sigh) Okayyy, I'll say it, but someone else better be helping out with the high school humor around here. I'm getting tired of doing it all by myself.

Like, deez nuts?

(01-06-2019, 07:03 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-04-2019, 09:41 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I was taught to think directionally and use "these" as if you are presenting something in your hands (inward facing), ie "look at these apples", and think of "those" as something you are pointing to (outward facing), ie "look at those apple trees."

What? No one is going to say it? (sigh) Okayyy, I'll say it, but someone else better be helping out with the high school humor around here. I'm getting tired of doing it all by myself.

Like, deez nuts?

Yes,  yes! Exactly!!!

(This post was last modified: 01-07-2019, 01:24 PM by Mikey.)

(01-06-2019, 07:54 AM)TheBigDawg Wrote: The use of "of" in place of "have" in the instances of "would've, should've and could've" is maddening to me. Then you point it out and get scolded with "but that's what it sounds like".... Don't make excuses, I know we all have grammatical and/or spelling issues from time to time, but the use of "of" as stated above quite literally makes no sense.

I am going to start contracting 'would of' as

would'f

(01-06-2019, 07:03 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:

Like, deez nuts?

Discussing doze nuts right after you say "I'm tired of doing it all by myself" is a bit too much information for a message board, biscuit.

My neighbor has a car for sell. He's advertised it all over the place, and even put a nice sign in the window announcing it's for sell. No idea why he hasn't gotten any bites.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(01-15-2019, 05:43 PM)FBT Wrote: My neighbor has a car for sell.  He's advertised it all over the place, and even put a nice sign in the window announcing it's for sell.  No idea why he hasn't gotten any bites.

Why didn't you suggest he use spell check on his sail phone? Some neighbor you are.

(01-15-2019, 09:16 PM)Sammy Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 05:43 PM)FBT Wrote: My neighbor has a car for sell.  He's advertised it all over the place, and even put a nice sign in the window announcing it's for sell.  No idea why he hasn't gotten any bites.

Why didn't you suggest he use spell check on his sail phone? Some neighbor you are.

Sail phone? They don't cell those any more.

Former CPA at my prior company put out an email stating "... for all intensive purposes..." 

I held back from replying to all "... for all intents and purposes ..."